4.0 out of 5 stars Deadly Winter 4.5 Stars
Dead of Winter takes place in a fort in the Ontario wilderness in 1878. Inspector Tom Hatcher has been called in to solve a mystery surrounding strange murders involving cannibalism and a plague that seems to be turning its victims into ravenous creatures that both look and act inhuman. Tom has come from Montreal, where he dealt with a cannibal of a different sort-a...
Published on October 26, 2011 by Patrick S. Dorazio

3.0 out of 5 stars DECENT BUT RAMBLING NOVEL
I wasn't as impressed with this novel as other reviewers were. It's good, for sure, but I found it to be quite disjointed, with the point of view shifting amongst the many characters; and I also found it to be way too long to hold my attention, as there were many passages I felt could have been shortened or even eliminated. The author's research shows quite well in this...
Published on January 22, 2012 by William C. Rasmussen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 7, 2014
Romi "Romi" (Windsor Mill, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
This books has so many levels. Each character a rich background which leads them throughout the book and enriches the story. I loved how both Native beliefs and Christian beliefs were handled and were on equal footing the entire time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice creepy read, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Paperback)
I finished this book with a little sadness, as it meant that I'm now completely and utterly up to date with everything that Moreland has released so far. There are probably some short stories out there, but I think I've read everything. Now I can only wait for the next work to come out.

Like much of Moreland's other works, this book is definitely a throwback/homage to 80s/90s horror films. For those who love that sort of thing, this will be an incredibly addicting book that they won't really want to put down. There are some great, incredibly creepy scenes here that really made me scrabble to try to tell others about them. Let's just say that dolls are utilized well in this work.

This isn't entirely perfect, as sometimes things progress a little too quickly to be entirely realistic. However this is something I expect in Moreland's work and really, it's pretty typical for this type of horror. This is the sort of thing where the main focus is the horror (human or supernatural) more than anything else. Moreland does give us enough to where we'll be drawn into the characters, but the main thrust here is to give us the monsters. That's why I keep comparing his books to 80s/90s and even 70s horror: that's sort of the way the films of those era played out.

I definitely recommend this, but I will say that this will probably be something more appreciated by fans of this type of horror.

4.0 out of 5 stars There will be blood..., March 22, 2014
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy Brian's writing. This book was another excellent example of his talents.
The characters in Dead of Winter are forced to deal with demons, Wendigo, cannibals, and a plethora of vices all while being trapped in the frozen tundra of the Canadian wilderness. There's plenty of blood and guts left in the snow. Plenty of heartache and scares along the way.
Definitely recommend this one to my fellow horror lovers. Also a great one for those literary types who like to dip their toe in the crimson waters every so often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me Turning Pages, January 11, 2014
Jonathan (Hyattsville, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
At first I found the prose a little limited, but Dead of Winter quickly grew on me. Beyond some violence and monsters in the snowstorm, characters were soon forced to wrestle with their own demons along being trapped with the ever-coming corrupting disease and madness tightening the noose around them.

One of the best qualities about the book is that it's always moving. Around the middle and third quarter a little bit dragged, but it didn't last long. There's a lot of action and it kept me turning pages. We learn secrets about the characters as the story progresses that really surprised me, and I did not see coming at all, but those secrets - especially the final reveal that brings it all is very satisfying. Certain deaths surprised me as well - the removal of this character who you assumed would play a bigger part.

Also as the story progresses a few of the main characters give us fuller snapshots of their character by way of brief flashbacks and secrets that make them feel more like people.

As far as weaknesses, I felt in places the prose was not as strong as it could be. Phrases repeated and simplified sentences, but these are very minor issues. I personally didn't care for the ultimate source of the Wendigo, but Moreland's presentation overall is well executed. However, there are some slight mystery components to the story, and these threaded enough through the book to really have the most oomf, and some aren't clear.

Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I was absorbed in this book from the very first page. I couldn't wait for the end but didn't want it to get there either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, September 23, 2013
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
Supernatural, suspenseful, horrific, fast paced thriller!!!! From the first to last page...an intense read. Great characters, original plot, and interesting mingling of religion and cultural beliefs. Would love to give 10 stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A spiral in madness, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Paperback)
This was my first Brian Moreland book and it def wont be my last. Great characters with twists and turns till the end. I usually don't care for books set in the past but this book grabbed ahold of me and didn't let go till the last page.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Paperback)
I'm a fan of all things supernatural but this book is something different. I put it down to finish later and I still haven't finished it. I don't think I will, but I won't give the particulars so I don't ruin for it for anyone who chooses to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL KILLER READ, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
THIS IS COOL. AN AMAZING BOOK. VERY ENTERTAINING. TOP KNOTCH JOB BRIAN. CAN.T WAIT FOR YOUR NEW STUFF COMING OUT THIS YEAR! Peace!

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL WRITTEN AND SCARY BOOK!, April 4, 2013
This review is from: Dead of Winter (Kindle Edition)
Hello, this is a very well written book. The author did a good job of explaining everything. The plot is fantastic. The story is very scary. One of the best books I have read lately. Buy it and you will like it. Thanks.

Dead of Winter
Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland (Paperback - January 3, 2012)
$17.00 $11.03