5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best slacker zombie comics ever!
Gwen Dylan works as a gravedigger in a Eugene, OR cemetery by day. By night, she hangs out with her friends, tries to figure out the meaning of her life, and tries to just survive.

Published on March 28, 2011 by A. KAPLAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Tone Down Our Expectations Some...
I am a huge HUGE fan of Mike Allred; I'll buy anything with his name on it. That said, you might not have as much enthusiasm as I do for him, and his art, in my opinion, is the main selling point for iZombie. I am a reluctant fan of the series. It's definitely not the first thing I'd recommend for those browsing for a new comic to read.

Chris Roberson has...
Published on May 30, 2011 by Dusty Bottoms is Dead & Gone

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Tone Down Our Expectations Some..., May 30, 2011
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)

Chris Roberson has dipped his hand in many cookie jars, when it comes to literary genre's and mediums. He's written post-modern, mystery and science fiction novels, as well as numerous comic issues of Vertigo's Fables and related titles. I'm not exactly sure where his strengths lie, though sci-fi is his said preferred and most praised area of expertise. iZombie is not sci-fi, and I'm not sure he fully understands the comic medium enough to keep readers attention long enough to see the series through.

It's the pacing of the series, that for me, is all wrong. The characterization is solid, though I think a few characters are weak and generic. Also, not a whole lot happens. Aside from getting to know Gwen, her Friends and weird world they live in, 'Dead to the World' really doesn't offer much except a twist at the end that admittedly does make iZombie more interesting.

The premise is intriguing, but it's pretty simplistic, enough so, that it shouldn't take an entire 5 issue story arc to lay the foundation for it, which is all volume one really does. I'm not even sure it's necessary to read this arc to follow the rest of the series. The characters really don't need much of an introduction. The premise is pretty self-explanatory, and Gwen's self-revelation in issue #5, which could have easily of happened in issue 2, will be inevitably gone over and mentioned numerous times to keep new readers up to speed. 'Jumping On' points and keeping the continuity of a series accessible are both two things you can count on when it comes to most comics, especially Vertigo's.

The artwork is spectacular. Allred's 60's pop style is always a treat. It fits the series like a latex-glove, and does a top-notch job at distracting from how slow moving and slightly boring the story is.

I think the story has potential, but I'm waiting to see if the series will even last long enough to get better. Fables was kind of awful when it began. However, in time it grew into it's own, and it's totally awesome now.

If you're specifically interested in iZombie, it's worth a try. But if you're casually browsing comics and graphic novels, make sure you're collection is extensive enough to justify buying something so low on the must-own list.

Comic websites and forums are calling it a guilty pleasure. I call it a mild pleasure. I give it 3 stars, because (no offense to anyone) 5 star ratings aren't like ribbons at the Special Olympics. You don't get one just for participating. You can only set the bar so low before the ratings start to lose meaning. There are dozens of series that are much MUCH better. Unless you're saying iZombie is as good as Allred's Madman or Vertigo's American Vampire, than I just don't see how iZombie doesn't seem mediocre in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best slacker zombie comics ever!, March 28, 2011
A. KAPLAN "Penelopecat" (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)

But her friends are a ghost and a werewolf (or, more accurately, were-terrier). Gwen survives by eating brains once a month, in the process absorbing the memories of the recently-deceased and -consumed and finding herself compelled to resolve any unfinished business they've left behind. Because Gwen is a zombie, but not just a mindless, shambling corpse. She is still the same person she was before she died (as far as she can remember, which isn't 100%). Why is she so special? That's what she wants to find out.

She and her friends aren't the only monsters in Eugene. There's a pack of vampires, running a paintball range. And there's a couple of monster hunters, including Horatio. Gwen should probably stay away from him, before he finds out who, or what, she really is. If only he weren't so darn cute!

Chris Roberson creates a group of interesting, three-dimensional characters in iZombie, and through them tells a story that's both hilarious and horrifying. But it's never predictable. Mike Allred's art is clean, clear, and detailed. He gives each character their own distinct look, and perfectly captures the tone of Roberson's story.

This is only the first installment in the adventures of Gwen and her friends, collecting the first five issues of their monthly comic. I can't wait to read more!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this series..., January 11, 2013
chh1138 (Parkersburg, WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
If you're looking for something similar to The Walking Dead, this isn't it. This is a much more light-hearted comic. Great art by Mike Allred (but am I the only one that thinks Gwen looks like Debbie Harry? Not that that's a bad thing). If you're looking for a fun, quick read about zombies, vampires, and were-dogs, with a bit of Portlandia thrown in, this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mythical Creatures, June 14, 2011
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
Several months ago I bought the second comic book of this series and read it. The concept was interesting and I wanted to learn more about the characters and plot. When I bought this book I was not sure what I was going to get, but I was not unhappy when I read it. I thought it was going to be a murder mystery series, but it is way more than that. Complex characters, themes, and several different story lines all connecting in strange ways. I really liked this and I cannot wait to buy the second one when it comes out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Art and Concept But Moves A Little Slow, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
My only real problem with this book is that is has a pretty slow pace and not too much happens. The art is very nice and the concept has good potential I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh take, May 28, 2014
I love the fresh twist on Zombies. The art work is beautiful and the story drew me into Gwen' s world and made me want to know more. This is an awesome read and I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars unique zombie story, pretty art, May 26, 2014
Cute Toast (Eugene, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
First of all, I absolutely love the art, both in the drawing style as well as the awesome colors (this is something I love about all of Allred's work that I've encountered). The story is also really unique. It's definitely not your typical zombie story. The main character is a very different type of zombie in that she's not completely mindless. There are also other interesting characters as well, including a ghost and a were-terrier (awesome). I have only read this volume so far, and I would say that so far it's really intriguing, but not necessarily the most exciting thing I've ever read. I hope that it picks up a little more as I read more, but I did really enjoy this first volume nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is immediately engaging, and has fascinating story elements, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
** spoiler alert ** I highly recommend this series. It is immediately engaging, and has fascinating story elements (I'm thinking specifically of the explanations about the undersoul and the oversoul, and what results from the different manifestations of these two aspects of the inner being). Each character is intriguing in their own way, and the right amount of their individual mysteries was shared to keep us wanting more. At first I thought that the effects of Gwen's brain-eating would drive the various storylines, but by the end of the book I realized that something much bigger was at play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Being dead's not so bad after all!, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
I think the "Zombie Apocalypse" has happened and we are in the midst of it; zombies are everywhere, in comics, on tv, on film - they're an entire sub-strata of pop culture and every single person on the planet knows what a zombie is. So it's surprising to find that another comic book featuring zombies should prove to breathe new life into the oversaturated genre and discover an entirely new angle to approach it from.

Gwen is a zombie except she's not a shambolic, rotting nightmare - but she will be if she doesn't eat a human brain once a month! Working as a gravedigger in Eugene, Oregon, she has ready access to the food she needs but with brains come responsibility and she must right any wrongs in the person's life whose brains she's eating in exchange for the grisly bounty. Also wandering the streets of Eugene are vampires, ghosts, were-terriers, mummies, and an ancient holy sect of hunters out to keep all the supernatural folk down - let the fun begin!

Chris Roberson's approach to the comic is quite light hearted and comedic in the style of Joss Whedon and while reading I was often reminded of Buffy and her hometown of Sunnydale, another average American town riddled with supernatural goings-on. Gwen is the kind of modern girl who most people either know or are and her relatability and charm plays a big part in making this book a success. It could've been real easy to ignore this book if the tone had been too jaded or knowing or earnest but Roberson gets the right balance straight away. When the entire cast is likeable - even the villains - in an adult book where the villains can be as nasty as possible if they wanted, that's a real achievement. There's also a really original and clever explanation for how zombies/ghosts/vampires etc. exist that shows Roberson's put some real thought into this comic.

Michael Allred's art is excellent. His style reminds me of Charles Burns' but a little rougher so the characters look a bit more mobile than Burns' who look more or less static. It looks great though and I really like Gwen's character design which looks just enough this side of odd to make her seem not quite human and not quite dead. He does use 3D rendering of 2D drawings which is something I hate seeing artists do in comics because it just looks fake but thankfully he limits this effect to only a couple of panels in the book. Overall though I have no problem with Allred's artistic style and think he did a great job especially with Scott the were-terrier - but maybe I'm biased as I've got a terrier myself.

"Izombie"'s first book is a compelling read with likeable characters and a storyline that throws in some nice twists and turns to keep the story interesting. It has a perfect blend of lightness and drama mixed together with a rich cast of characters despite their over-familiar archetypes. I really like what Roberson and Allred are doing and despite the number of dead people within the covers, the story feels really fresh. I'm definitely on board for this series and can't wait to see what Gwen and co. are up to in the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Comic!, June 23, 2012
Sundae Rye (Winter Park, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead to the World (iZombie) (Paperback)
The flat colors of the artwork are very "Pop Art" and well done. As a fan of Wayne's World and early 90's culture, this book (set in present day) has a nostalgic vibe that I appreciated.

Dead to the World (iZombie)
Dead to the World (iZombie) by Chris Roberson (Paperback - March 22, 2011)
$14.99 $11.97