Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Kindle Voyage Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on January 10, 2012
Ah, Deadliest Catch, my favorite show on TV. Season 7 didn't disappoint, even if it was a little darker than earlier seasons and had more boats (and therefore less time spent on each boat).

Returning this season:

The Northwestern: My favorite! I missed Edgar during Opilio season (hope he comes back next year) and think Jake needs to stop whining about how no one respects him. He should focus more on learning the job than who gets more respect on deck. Otherwise things seem pretty normal for the Northwestern crew (long grinds, practical jokes and big numbers).

The Time Bandit: There seemed to less of the Time Bandit boys this season (whether this was because there were fewer things going on on the boat or because of the fallout of the Discovery Channel/Hillstrand lawsuit I don't know) but I always enjoy them, especially with a new greenhorn.

The Wizard: I have to admit that I don't really like the Wizard. I think Keith (and Monte) are abusive and unreasonable with their crew and with their fellow crabbers. Keith needs to go into anger management (this season he flies off the handle to an alarming degree). It did amuse me that Keith was surprised at the huge amount of dead loss they suffered during King Crab season despite the fact that he had them in the tanks for 15 days and the average life span of a crab in the tanks is 10 days.

The Cornelia Marie: I miss Capt. Phil! The boat (and the show) will never be the same without him. In King season, the CM is the scene of lots of drama between the Harris brothers and Derek, the new captain. While I think Jake probably was smoking pot on the boat, I also think Derek's reaction was overblown (and probably stemmed more from his anger at the crew's essential mutiny than him actually being afraid he'd lose his license if Jake was caught on the boat). Things turned around during Opi season.

Also back from last season is the Kodiak: I didn't much care for Wild Bill last season, but I liked him better this go around. He seems more grounded and less 'fly off the handle at everything'. I think he's a good addition to the show.

New this year:

The Seabrooke: I normally don't like the 'new' boats they feature every year, but I ended up really enjoying the Seabrooke and hope they're back next year. Capt. Junior was interesting and the crew was hard working but still fun (and able to take a joke as seen from the egg debacle).

The Ramblin' Rose: I didn't care for this ship or its whiney, 'I'm so awesome' captain. If the Rose didn't return for next season, I'd be only too happy.

Also, please note that this DVD set (the one sold by Amazon) does not include any After the Catch content. I believe the set sold by Discovery does.

If you're a fan of this show, this season won't disappoint you. There's big weather, stressed captains/crews, close calls, injuries and big successs. If you haven't seen this, what are you waiting for?
on February 11, 2012
This season was a bit of a let down. Josh and Jake acted like spoiled brats and we all know Jake was getting high! Either way this season is also missing the After the Catch that is a great addition. I also thought that there were too many boats or something. The show just kind of felt all over the place. Maybe it is just missing Phil.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2011
Well it's definitely another dramatic day on the CM, Little boys refusing 30yrs of fishing experience because they got a little disciplined. The whole fleet was turning up blanks more than usual... On the other hand, what is the point of calling the police on a young man that just lost his father.... a father who they just recently (within the past 5 years) got to know and love and rely on completely. Its one thing to help a young person who has a drug problem, but its quite another to call the police and try to have him arrested and give him a record for the rest of his life.... thats no helping hand, thats a punishing hand.... I think they have been punished enough (losing their father and way of life). Living life without the presence of Dad will be in time punishment enough. JMO
on December 4, 2012
I own every season of Deadliest Catch and this is much cheaper price then I found it anywhere else. Love it.
on April 23, 2012
I thought this seasons were as good as the other seasons. It's because there was just so much drama with Josh and Jake that over shadow the show. Damn brads didn't understand the way how bad fishing works. When there's good fishing you can just grab the crab and go. When there's bad fishing, you have to wait it out and find where the crab is. Those two didn't get that idea and just turned tail and ran away during king crab season.

The wizard had bad fishing in crab season too, but did they run away from it? No, they stayed and looked for the crab until they found it. Also by doing so, they came in with high numbers too. It's just basics. Can't find the crab? Stay until you find it somewhere else. It ain't rocket science.

The other boats were as usually. Had there little fights here and there but find the crab. There are two new boats shown in this seasons. Probably the only other big thing to talk about was that Edger from the NorthWestern left the boat after king crab season. I hope he comes back some day.
on March 6, 2013
My husband & I recently upgraded to a 60" TV (from a 27" from 1998) and bought a Panasonic smart Blu-Ray player to accompany it. Since we were already Amazon Prime members, we strolled through the TV series selections and decided to start watching season 7 of Deadliest Catch. Now, prior to having our smart Blu-Ray player we did not have cable, so Discovery Channel was not something we had access to. Occassionally we would pick up Deadliest Catch reruns on local stations (enough to know the main characters) but not a lot. We really like the fact that we can sit down and watch a 44 minute episode and then go back to our evening. This season (we're only on episode 7 now) had a rough start with many boats struggling through horrible conditions to meet their respective quotas. There were not as many injuries as I imagine could happen; and the Cornelia Marie had a lot of drama after losing their captain the prior season and taking on a new one. I am looking forward to finishing the 2nd half of the season soon.
on November 20, 2012
My husband does not work much in the summers and one year I got REALLY tired of him sitting around watching "man" shows so I decided to quit complaining and join him. A couple of episodes later I was a HUGE Deadliest Catch fan. By the end of the summer I had already picked my favorites and told him that if anything ever happened to the boys on the Cornelia Marie, I would be heartbroken. Two years later Captain Phil passed away and although I didn't expect it to be from a stroke, I was still heartbroken. The show has never been quite the same. I still love it and watch it with dedication but it isnt the same. If you are a fan you should still watch these episodes but it is hard and heavy to watch the Harris boys and crew fall apart as well as hard to watch new boats and people be introduced. Like losing a family member and having step-parents or step-children added at the same time.
on February 2, 2014
The show is awesome, the bearing sea is a bitch of a place and Discovery has invested heavly over the years to fine tune the cameras, crews and really make the show cool. Who would have thought that a show about crabbing would be a hit? I like how the story lines are growing with new fleet vessels and thier crews, are a good mix for future seasons. I am glad they are showing how crabbing works and how the nuances of that fishing are impacted mininute by minute by nature above the ocean and down on the floor. I know that Discovery has trailer boats so they are not alone but I know they do work hard to fil the quotas. Also I am glad that discovery are mixing in the USCG and thier presence in the fleet and on patrol. Very cool, glad the producers are thinking outside the box.
on February 10, 2014
this is the only "reality show" I watch. The drivel of the inter-personal relationships is trumped by the spectacular scenery. I have personally ejected many gallons of vomit into the stormy Behring Sea and can testify as to the authenticity of the spectacular storm sequences. Deadliest Catch allows me to appreciate the view without the nausea. I'm told they have an experienced guy running the companion boat that shoots the boats fighting the waves. I can't get enough of this program, in spite of the whining, squabbling and bragging. If you've ever commercial fished you will enjoy the sight of each full pot of crabs.
on December 19, 2011
It Was OK.The New Boats Was Great, Because The Change Of Face And Styles. A Reality Check The Men On The C.M. And... Freddie Is A Great Fisherman. It May Be A LOT OF WORK, But Freddie Is The One That Gets EVERYONE Going Working Hard And Always Has A Smile Or A Joke To Say, To Lossen Everyone Up. (Imitading Freddie) "This Is The Best King Crab Season Ever." Eats Raw Cod Intestines, Drinking And Wareing Of The Fresh Cod Blood.
There's Is No Deadliest Catch, Without Three(3) Things,