Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 22, 2011
I'm a journalist, and I've always been amazed no one's done a collection like this yet. I picked up Deadline Artists last week, thinking I'd read it slowly, piece by piece, and instead found myself tearing through the whole thing in two days. The columns are terrific, each and every one, and they take you back to a time when column-writing was a real art, before all the blogs and so much of the dashed-off blather we have now online. Each piece tells a story: Shirley Povich on Lou Gehrig Day, Mike Royko on Mayor Daley, Gene Weingarten on the worst city in the U.S., and on and on and on. Taken all together, the columns also tell a bigger story, making Deadline Artists feel like not just a collection of disparate works but also a history of America, written piecemeal by the greatest journalists and opinion writers of the last two centuries. It's really just a great book. Highly recommend!
0Comment44 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2011
Any self-respecting news-junkie should own a copy of this book. The compilation is a wonderful collection of columns with (a) rich and entertaining language that plays to one's good-writer lobe and (b) snipets of american history's greatest hits which remain relevant as context for current events unfolding today.
on November 1, 2011
This is a definite must for newspaper
and magazine fans. Covering decades of the
best in journalism, it is divided into
categories and presents the chosen
favorites chronologically. It is an
enthralling read and you can do it in
order or by author. My single criticism
is that the authors edited it themselves.
I have never encountered so much garbled
grammar, missed and jumbled words, etc.
There is no reason for that. Otherwise
definitely, go for it.
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In the few days I've had this 400+ pager in my possession: I've revisited JFK's funeral at St. Matthew's Cathedral with Mary McGrory. Eleanor Roosevelt's "My Day" column told me what it was like to wake up in the White House on December 7, 1941, and learn the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I've read reports from World War II battlefields by Ernie Pyle. And joined Charles McDowell as he drove through rural Virginia listening to what the people there thought about the rumors that Nixon would resign (and that later that day would prove true). And Pete Hamill's view of New Y0rk on 9/11/01. And Tom Boswell on the September night in 1998, when Baltimore Orioles third baseman Cal Ripken voluntarily ended his career and streak of 2,632 consecutive games, just minutes before game time. And farewell columns by Walter Lippmann to Amelia Earhart and Grantland Rice to Babe Ruth and Damon Runyon to FDR and Shirley Povich to Lou Gehrig and Michael Kelly to Francis Albert Sinatra.

Next on my reading list: Crime columns by Ernest Hemingway and Walter Winchell and Carl Hiaasen. Columns by Langston Hughes and I. F. Stone and William Raspberry on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties...Local columns by Mike Royko on Chicago and Molly Ivans on Lubbock and Herb Caen on San Francisco..... Hard Times columns by Woody Guthrie and Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill...Pursuit of Happiness columns by Will Rogers, Benjamin Franklin, Damon Runyan and Erma Bombeck...and oh, so many, many more. Then on to that upcoming sequel, Deadline Artists--Scandals, Tragedies and Triumphs:: More of America's Greatest Newspaper Columns.
on November 27, 2011
This book certainly has a variety or many of the heavyweights of the newspaper world. Several of my favorites such as Jim Murray, Wells Twombly, Damon Runyon, Mike Royko, and Tom Boswell are all here. Jim Murray's column on losing his sight in his so-called "good" eye has always been one of my favorites. Peter Hamill's column on the death of Senator Robert Kennedy, to me, is the most powerful one in the book. The sections on Crime, Sports, Hard Times, and Farewells are my favorite sections. Photos are also provided so we can see what each of the writers look like. Ben Franklin favors us with several of his proverbs that still apply today. The last one entitled "45 Life Lessons--and Five to Grow On" by Regina Brett is her most-requested column she has ever written, and after reading it one can see why this is so. Several writers from the distant past such as the previously mentioned Damon Runyon, Heywood Broun, Grantland Rice, and Westbrook Pegler are in this all-star lineup as well. You, too, Mike Barnicle. I always enjoy your opinions. If you want to learn how to be a writer you can start by reading great writers such as those included in this book.
on December 3, 2011
A great read for anyone. Bought it for my husband and son and I can't put it down. I wish our local jounalists would write like any of these.
on December 17, 2011
A teriffic compendium of the columns of some of America"s greatest newspaper writers,past and present.Every column could be a book in itself. The columns by GTrantland Rice,Jimmy Cannon,Pete Hamill.Are wonderful. The columns cover every aspect of life,whether it be joy and happiness or pathos. The reader will also learn a lot of very important historical facts from the 1860's to the present. Very easy and enjoyable readings. It is a very hard book to put down.
on November 28, 2011
I heard this reviewed on the radio and thought I should buy it. It's even better than I had expected. I have shared it with several friends - they all agree with me.
on January 30, 2013
In my opinion, Deadline Artists should be an essential read for writers and non-writers alike--newspaper junkies and those who scarcely read the news. This book portrays these columnists of (for the most part) the 20th century as being masters of an art--not just of journalism--merging together journalism, prose and poetry, to create these elaborate pieces of writing that are both entertaining and informing.

The book itself is nicely laid out, such that columns are grouped together by broad topics (sports, war, politics, humor, etc.).

There are very few books that I would recommend to friends of diverse career backgrounds. Deadline Artists is certainly one of them.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
Hemingway, Mencken, Rice, Hecht, Runyon...there were writers on newspapers in those days, and these are just a smattering of the great writers in this book-a collection of columns of great newspaper columnists from the late 19th century to the great writers of today (Mike Barnacle, Eugene Robinson, et. al.). A book that if you just want to lose yourself in the beauty of men and women putting words together on paper in ways that will make you marvel, you have come to the right place.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse