4.0 out of 5 stars A philosophical premise made into a story.
Published on May 22, 2003 by Michael Erisman

3.0 out of 5 stars Somthing to think about.
Deadline involves the story of 3 men who have been best friends for many years. The story begins with a car crash that killed 2 of the men. Initially thought to be an accident, it was later discovered to be homicide.

The surviving man is a newspaper columnist who has routinely written articles in a "politically correct" manner in order not to offend any one...
Published on September 4, 2007 by A. Starkey

4.0 out of 5 stars A philosophical premise made into a story., May 22, 2003
This book attacks the concept of political correctness and the hypocritical quicksand of "moral relativism" by weaving a tale of suspense and intrigue into the everyday life of a liberal newspaper reporter. The book hooks you from the beginning, with a story about three friends on a typical Sunday afternoon watching football, and tossing a coin to see who will drive to get the pizza at halftime. The coin lands, and stays, on its side! All three pile into the car together and after picking up the pizza and heading back, there is a terrible accident and the story picks up with one of the three, the reporter, awaking in the hospital. Thus begins a journey during which his popular beliefs about life, meaning and morality are challenged in a very personal way. Instead of spoiling the story, I will leave it up to the reader to explore.
The message of the book can be best described by the following passage regarding morality (page 419). "Maybe the greatest danger isn't when the rules get broken, maybe it's when the rules get changed. Once they're changed you can follow the new rules and think you are doing the right thing, while all the time your new truth is just the old lies. You can tell yourself it's OK because the standards have changed, but if the standards mean anything at all they don't change. I want to follow the truth no matter where it leads me. The Truth will set you free."
Overall, this is a well-written story, and provides enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested. Often however, the author seems to try and take on too many issues at once. The depictions of the social agenda's of various special interest groups and how they drove the slant of news stories was frighteningly accurate, considering the book was written in 1994 well before the documented events of liberal bias on behalf of Networks and print media had been exposed in the last few years by numerous sources. The author points out in the notes at the end of the book that "This is a work of fiction. While it contains many factual details which are the product of careful research, it intermingles these events with fictitious settings and persons".
A good story, with a well-needed message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a Grisham Novel With More Heart and Soul, June 24, 2005
This book was recommended to me by my husband as something to hold my interest while on the elipical machines. It did just that and left me feeling disappointed when it ended.

Randy Alcorn creatively navigates through several modern issues with interesting characters and a twists-and-turns story. I think it goes without saying that Alcorn is a talented writer. And once you read this book, you'll realize he's also a writer with a mission. That mission, it seems, is to illuminate how the earthly impacts the heavenly (Deadline alternates between Heaven and Earth).

The images and concepts of Heaven are like none I've ever read before. They radically expanded my vision of Heaven, and prompted me to live motivated by an eternal perspective. That's how impactful the imagery is.

Alcorn doesn't shy away from sizzling social and moral issues via Deadline's characters. At times I was surprised at what he was willing to tackle. The main character is a liberal columnist for a major metropolitan newspaper whose moral compass shifts gradually and radically throughout the book. Alcorn steers clear of religiosity, however, by preserving this character's wit, passion and humanity. He remains a critical thinker but from the side he had always scoffed. In the end, he returns to his true love, his teenage daughter, and seems to have found deep peace.

Whether you believe in Heaven and live with an eternal perspective or not, this book is a great read. It could make you angry if you disagree, applaud if you do agree, and simply think differently if you're somewhere in between.

Four stars only because the book is packed...so packed it could have easily been spread into two books. Regardless, thanks to Deadline, I'm looking forward to reading another Alcorn book.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Change A Life, May 18, 1997
By A Customer
As a new Christian, I was hungry for any kind of information which would provoke thought and give me something to increase my faith. I began to read the Bible, but enjoyed novels very much. I had heard about "Deadline" from several people, but the size of the novel was a little intimida-
ting. A friend had loaned it to me when I was ill, since I had so much time on my hands. I finally picked it up and began to read. In about two or three pages, I was hooked.
Randy's description of heaven brought me to tears. It gave me great hope and encouragement. I could hardly put it down, because I wanted to remain at that place: the place to which his novel carried me. One of serenity and peace.
I had also been teetering on the fence of my views on abortion. However, when I read Randy's descrip-
tion of conception, my heart was changed forever.
This truly is a life-changing book, and I intend to give it as a gift, to all those in my family who are not saved. I feel like handing it out to people on street corners! We need men like Randy Alcorn, who has a vision of where everyone should strive to be: heaven, worshipping the God who wants us there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to change a life? - Give them this book!, January 26, 2001
Lynne Carter (Chino Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best christian fiction books I have ever read!!! I am an avid fan of Randy Alcorn and have read most of his novels, but this by far is my favorite!! This book not only tells the story of a friendship between three adult males (one a believer- one a non-believer- and one who is undecided) each one with very different personalities and occupations from one another, but it accompolishes three very important things. First, it paints a very unique and fresh view of heaven. If you have ever wondered what we (believers in Christ) are going to do once we get there, this book paints a picture of beautiful scenery, and fun and enjoyable activities. Secondly, this book paints a realistic view of hell. It reminds the reader of the often overlooked and disbelieved fact that once one goes to hell, the pain and anguish is eternal and forever! You can not go back and change your mind if you die as a non-believer. You go to hell - and live the rest of your eternity in terror, torment, agony, and distress - plain and simple. Thirdly, and most importantly, Alcorn's novels (this one and especially "Edge of Eternity") remind us that our time on earth is simply "a test." Our real life, our eternal life, begins after death. What we do on earth, determines where and how we will spend our eternity. We must take this short life that we are given on earth very seriously and choose who we will serve and where we will spend our eternity. Give this book to an unsaved friend. Change their life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tackles all of the hard stuff inside an intriguing mystery, July 27, 2003
Jake Woods, liberal columnist and agnostic goes out on a short jaunt to pick up pizza with his best friends, Doc and Finney. On the way back, they crash and Jake finds himself suspended between two friends, and between two destinies. Doc, the "I'll Do it My Way" Guy and Finney, the man submitted to God. This storyline takes Jake from the ICU where he says good-bye to Finney, to an investigation into the shadowy worlds where right and wrong are relative and no one knows anything for a certainty, with human rationalization as the ultimate standard for behavior. The reader is pulled along from the earth, to the glorious raptures of Heaven to the despair of Hell, along with Jake as he searches for the truth and tries to find meaning in a shifting morass of values. In the process he has to face some pretty unsavory things about himself, and tragic consequences of choices and philosophies that he adhered to.
Inside the story, the author has several deep messages for his readers and he doesn't pull any punches. This book tackles just about all of the issues in our society where the guideposts have been lost, and relativism is taken for granted. Abortion, AIDs, media-bias, homosexual bias, political correctness, assisted suicide, organ transplant lists, organized crime, Vietnam, you name it and it is weaved into a monologue or dialogue somewhere in the book. All this is interwoven into a mystery involving some stereotyped characters, some surprising twists, and some awkward relevations. As if that's not enough, there are matters of eternal consequences, like Heaven and Hell to delve into.
There is a very good understanding and exploration of the effects of abortion on men which is usually ignored. And you'll never think about organ donations the same way again. You'll also think twice or thrice about the definition of "dead" after you've read this book.
Highly recommended for teenagers as it gets them to think before acting. Also, a hard-to-put-down book for mystery fans. Finally, if you're at all curious about what life is like in the hereafter (or as far as Mr. Alcorn's imagination can bring you), you'll want to read or debate about his portrayals of Heaven. Definitely a good vacation read, and a book to leave on your coffee table for curious friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadline may be fiction, but it's a glimpse of reality, too!, October 11, 1999
By A Customer
No doubt, Deadline was one of the most captivating works of Christian fiction I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The glimpes of afterlife, both in Heaven and Hell, were well researched and, therefore, very believable. Alcorn made me look forward more to heaven than I ever have before. He handles the subject of eternity with ease and yet the descriptions and details are handled with care and thoughtfulness. I look forward to reading his second book and hope there is more to come. I recommend this great story to anyone who wonders about the reality of heaven, or anyone who just wants to read a refreshing, clean, realistic and believable story that is tough to put down. Great read! A wonderful Christ-centered account of life and death. I WANT MORE!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Author At His Best, November 3, 2006
This is a book with two stories; one in heaven with the authors idea of what may happen after death and the other on earth with a murder mystery to be solved by those still living. Don't take some of the previous reviews to much to heart; the author hasn't added to God's word or made changes to what's known from the Bible. He's simply taken a very human emotion; curiosity and used it along with his story telling skills to imagine one possibility of what heaven may be like. In fact he states in his authors note (which may or may not be in all editions) "As to those events and dialogues in the afterlife, it should go without saying that these are fiction! I believe God expects us to recognize the limits and flaws of our imaginations, but to utilize them nonetheless. It is of paramount importance that the reader's mind and imagination be submitted to the Word of God as its sole and final authority. This novel lays no claim whatsoever to divine revelation." Some may find his imaginings more improbable then others will but it's the lessons both within his version of heaven and in the conversations on earth that the reader should, hopefully, learn from. I also disagree with those who feel that the conversion of the lead character was incorrect or unrealistic. It did not solely come from a dream and he does not suddenly wake up a Christian. The focus of the book is not how one becomes saved and because of this his change is not spelled out it is only implied in further paragraphs and later chapters. And happily the character is portrayed as a normal human finding his way and standing by new convictions in the first few months after accepting Jesus; too many books portray the characters as going from sinner to immaculate saint with nary a stumble; it's refreshing to see a more human portrayal where the character does not act perfectly but does recognize and confess faults and missteps. Holding the story together is a well told murder mystery with engaging twists that will leave most readers guessing to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Novel That is Also Thought Provoking, May 13, 2005
S. Peek (Rocky Mountains, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is one of the best novels that I have ever read.

Alcorn not only wrote a great story, he also explored some important issues in the process. If you are looking for great Christian fiction, this would be a great place to start.

One issue that he really explores is what heaven is like. If you are one of the many who has thought that Heaven may be great, but you want it to be a long time before you ever leave this wonderful Earth to go there, this book will challenge you. Alcorn paints a picture of Heaven as such a beautiful and exciting place that it may actually create a yearning in you. He certainly doesn't view it as a boring place with non stop harp music being played like so many preachers and Christians seem to do.

Alcorn will give you some fresh viewpoints to ponder. I encourage you to buy this and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incrdibly important issues are addressed in this book., February 26, 2001
I have read 4 of Randy Alcorns books and enjoyed them all but DEADLINE was my favorite. He very wonderfully talks about issues that we face today in an America of the politically correct; the New Age America (even though it was published in '94). The story line is actually quite incidental to the great truths he presents. The main character is an opinion columnist for a local newspaper so he (Randy) has a perfect opportunity to give great teachings, great arguements if you will, against the new age philosophies of today as you read the column Jake, the main character, is writing for the day. I'd give my eye teeth to see articles like these in the newpaper but I think they will only be seen in fiction novels! He is a huge fan of and is incredibly influenced by and imitates the writings of C.S. Lewis. LORD FOULGRIN'S LETTERS is a modern day version of C.S. Lewis's SCREWTAPE LETTERS. He owns up to this fact without apology in the introduction. He is also, obviously, a John Bunyan fan because his book EDGE OF ETERNITY is a modern day PILGRIM'S PROGRESS. I enjoyed that book very much as well. It is full of great spiritual truths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three friends changed forever by faith, March 14, 2006
I picked up deadline because it is hard to find Christian fiction written by men that isn't apocalyptic in nature. I was searching for something about faith in everyday life. this book satisfiys that need and them some.

"Deadline" is the story of three life long friends who through the flip of a coin all end up in the same vehicle going for pizza.What happens next changes their lifes forever. The main character is a columnist for a politically correct newspaper. He is also not a christian. Only one of the 3 men was a christian. One character is a doctor who is an A type personality. The final friend can be described as an everyman and a christian.

His faith and its affect on his friends is the linchpin of the whole story. If you ever wondered if your beliefs touch anybody else this book will answer this question.

Alcorn does try to covera lot of topics in this book. Abortion, Media Bias, Planned parenthood,the consequenses of not being saved. For me it provided the most in depth description of abortion politics from both sides of the issue.

Some reviewers have said that it is too conservative right wing but it also presents the planned parenthood side too.

A intertwined story in the book involved descriptions about heaven & guardian angels that was worth the price of the book.

While this book does try to cover too many topics it gives you some meaty ideas to make you think when your done. I would recommed this greatly and ask people to have an open mind.

kevin Seals

Deadline
Deadline by Randy Alcorn (Paperback - May 1, 2006)
$16.99 $13.39