4.0 out of 5 stars A plea for newspaper survival
Published on May 24, 2011 by Shoe-aholic

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected!
Published on March 7, 2012 by Anthony L. Martins

4.0 out of 5 stars A plea for newspaper survival, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
This lesser-known Bogart film turns 60 next year, but the issues it raises are relevant today. Bogie is the crusading editor of a newspaper on it's last legs. While racing the clock to solve a murder and save the paper, the story raises questions about the role of newspapers and the press in our society. The ending celebrates integrity, not the unreality of a Hollywood product. The physical quality of the made on demand dvd is good. No extras in the set.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected!, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
I bought the Deadline USA DVD because this is a movie I like. When I saw it listed on Amazon, I was very happy because, until now, this movie had not been available in DVD. Disapointment, oh disappointmet! The DVD is received is a copy of the movie that was recorded from a TV broadcast. I thought I was buying a movie that came from an original print, not a TV broadcast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most memorable and quotable newspaper film, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
I give the film five stars, but the DVD only one because of the questions below. This DVD is no longer listed with a normal sale price and is no longer listed for online playing with Amazon Prime. Are we to assume the release was unauthorized, or that Amazon has withdrawn it for some other reason?

Is a better edition coming?

In 20 years of reading journalists' "best newspaper films" articles, I've seen the 1952 20th Century Fox film Deadline U.S.A. consistently in the top five, often the top one. (Usually competing with All the President's Men, Citizen Kane, The Paper and His Girl Friday. I'd add Sam Fuller's "Park Row" to the "feel good about journalism" list myself.) It had been years since I'd seen the film, and I thought it would be great to have a copy.

For me, the most memorable line is Bogart's as editor Ed Hutcheson, giving advice to young graduate looking for a newspaper job: "It may not be the oldest profession, but it's the best." Even though they know a merger-takeover is about to kill the best newspaper in the city, they both still have faith in "the press" as an institution. (Hutcheson hires the guy who'll now have a real newspaper job -- "rewrite desk, lobster shift" -- on his resume, even if the job only lasts a night or two.) In a way, their faith is justified: Even the competing scandalsheet's publisher takes an interest in good old-fashioned journalism before the movie's over.

It would be great to have a Criterion-style digital edition of this film, with historical notes and commentary. This barebones copy says it is from "TVS Home Video" (Margate Entertainment). You'll find no booklet or "jacket notes" in the generic packaging; no stills, cast lists or other information.

The DVD has an "NTV Nostalgia Television" startup screen, and "TV PG V" and "Fox Movie Channel" broadcast logos pop up 30 minutes into the film. The Fox Movie Channel website doesn't have a page about the film, although TCM does. Online press releases say NTVTele.Net is an advertising supported full time streaming video internet channel from TVS Television Network, a subsidiary of Margate Entertainment LLC, which also owns TV4U LLC, operator of the 42 channel video on demand TV4U.Com IPTV network.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate journalism film, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
When attending journalism classes, our professor referred to "the Humphrey Bogart rule" referring to Bogie's great speech in this movie about what does it mean to the average guy on the street? Brilliant film, very relevant today. It aptly depicts the history of the news business. I have had an old cable tv copy for 15 years and am delighted to see it finally out on DVD. Glad I checked for it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is this film?, January 17, 2014
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
For years I have been trying to find this film in a DVD USA format, and lo and behold...nowhere can it be found.

I smell a rat..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality DVD of a hard-to-find movie, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
This film has been out-of-print for a long time, and should be on the "must-see" list of anyone in the journalism field. Bogart's portrayal of the hard-nosed editor of a metro newspaper that is sold and on the verge of closing is excellent. This is a very good quality reproduction of the film, and definitely worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Next time you hear about a newspaper going under..., August 11, 2012
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
The next time you hear about a newspaper going under, take a moment to watch this movie. For journalists, Deadline-USA will bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your lips. For the everyday news consumer, this movie is a dramatic and compelling reminder as to why a free press is so vital to our democracy.
Humphrey Bogart plays a crusading editor racing against time as his paper is about to be bought out by the competition. His performance is as convincing as when he played the cynical, heart broken nightclub owner in Casablanca. In this movie you will see other actors of that era in a new light. Among them, Jim Backus (who later played Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island) and Ethel Barrymore of the Barrymore dynasty in Hollywood.
The actors in Deadline-USA have long since passed. The movie came out in 1952.
And the way newspapers are produced has drastically changed since that decade. The core concept--and mission of journalism--speaking truth to power, has not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, terrible condition, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Deadline - USA (DVD)
This is a great, hard-to-find Bogie film noir, and I have been searching for it for quite some time. Imagine my disappointment when I encountered many, many bad spots, as though there were bad places on the tape, but it's a DVD. The video scrambles, and the sounds cuts out for 10-15 seconds, which means that I miss out of several important pieces of dialogue. But since it is the ONLY ONE I could find, I will keep it, and give it a bad review. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Deadline - USA