4.0 out of 5 stars There's Something Deadlier Than the White Water Rapids
Mandy Tanner has turned in her river guiding paddle for a job as a river ranger in her native Salida, Colorado. That's why she is on hand when a raft goes over a dangerous rapids sideways, tipping out all the people on board. Mandy rushes in to save two of the passengers, only to have one of them die on her when she gets him back to shore.

The dead man is Tom...
Published on March 5, 2011 by Mark Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Mehhh....
For me, Deadly Currents was one of those books that I finished merely because I had started it (and I hate not finishing what I've started!) Mandy just wasn't a character I could warm up to and the story was saved simply because of the beautiful river setting and descriptions. Just an okay read.
Published on March 4, 2012 by Aunt Lou

4.0 out of 5 stars There's Something Deadlier Than the White Water Rapids, March 5, 2011
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

The dead man is Tom King, a rich developer. The trip was with the rafting company that Mandy's uncle owns, and Tom's widow is intent on suing Mandy's uncle, a prospect that would destroy his business.

Then comes word that Tom might have been murdered. Now Mandy is determined to find the killer and clear her uncle's reputation once and for all. But can she find the killer?

I love rafting (although I've never gone any big rapids), so I was looking forward to this book from the moment I heard about it. Mandy was a good guide into a world I am unfamiliar with. I liked her, most of the time. I felt some of her reactions to her boyfriend weren't fair to him, although I could see her side of things. But I really did like her and felt that those sub-plots were resolved well by the end.

The plot of the book started out rather slowly and could have been tighter. While I enjoyed some of the passages about life on the river and Mandy's job, I didn't feel they were really forwarding the story. As the book progressed, the story began to take center stage more and it all resolved for a great climax.

While all the books in this series won't be focused on river rafting, I am excited to see what other outdoor sports will be covered. I definitely plan another trip to Colorado with Mandy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome on many fronts!!, September 20, 2011
Just a really cool book with a really cool main character and setting!! I really enjoyed most everything about this book. I was a bit apprehensive going into this book, because this book was classified as a cozy, which can really be hit or miss with me. In my opinion, it isn't. The other thing is that this book is really, really well written. What I loved most about it, is the outdoor setting. Beth did an awesome job of taking the readers to the town of Salida Colorado!

Most def. a series I would continue with!! Hint, Hint Beth!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Like Water--Sucked Under Anyway, June 4, 2011
Warning: This review could include spoilers.

I have to admit I'm not really a water person. I don't even like to soak in a bath. My idea of enjoying the water is listening to it babble in brooks and writing insipid poetry about it.

But that didn't keep me from being sucked under by this book and becoming totally immersed in learning about white water rafting and the people who are involved in it. I immediately liked the protagonist, and though I was a bit suspicious of the love interest for awhile, I'm sure that was intentional, and by the end, I approved of the relationship. I took longer than usual to figure out who the villain was, yet when I did figure it out, it was logical and believable. (I did suspect, but just couldn't let go of my favorite pick for the role.)

In short, this is an action-filled and involving mystery with believable characters in an interesting setting that most of us have little or no experience with. I recommend it for summer vacation reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Deadly Currents" and bad behavior, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery) (Kindle Edition)
With rookie River Ranger Mandy Tanner and her boss Steve Hadley watching, things are about to get very dangerous on the Arkansas River in Colorado. One of the river rafts has flipped and tossed equipment and passengers into the swirling river churning towards some deadly rapids. With odds against them before they start, Tanner and Hadley start trying to rescue as many they can as fast as they can. That results in Mandy Tanner performing her first river rescue in increasingly dangerous conditions as she breaks protocol to save lives.

Her second week patrol proves that sometimes doing things in an orthodox way is at times very necessary. She successfully pulls in two passengers, one female and one male. The woman, Hannah Fowler, is shaken but, all things considered, okay. The man, a local land developer named Tom King, was dead by the time she got him out of the water to a river bank.

With a wrongful death lawsuit in the early stages and her Uncle's river rafting business at stake, Mandy Tanner decides to investigate and ask questions of anyone involved with that river trip. Her questions annoy a long list of suspects especially when it becomes clear Tom King was a victim of foul play. Still reeling from her guilt over Tom King's death and a second much closer to home tragedy, Mandy Tanner does not know when to shut up and enjoy the river while leaving the case to the law enforcement professionals. If she isn't careful and very lucky, her career, her young life might be over before it starts.

Reminiscent of early Nevada Barr novels and not just because of the outdoor setting, this cozy style read is the start of a new series featuring River Ranger Mandy Tanner. Known for her novels A Real Basket Case and To Hell in a Hand Basket this novel is far different in style and tone. Along with a detailed and obvious appreciation of the outdoors, author Beth Groundwater has created an interesting core group of characters, a complex mystery, and plenty of action and adventure.

The start of a new series, "Deadly Currents" is not only good but puts down an excellent foundation to build on. In will be very interesting to see how this develops further with "Wicked Eddies" slated for publication next year.

Material supplied by the author quite some time ago in exchange for my objective review.

Kevin R. Tipple © 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Prepared for a Wild Ride!, September 24, 2011
S. Lawrence (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
I don't usually read cozies (and I'm honestly not sure what defines one), but Deadly Currents pulled me into the story and kept my interest throughout. Mandy Tanner was a likable character, though sometimes I got a little frustrated with her. Supporting characters were realistic and interesting. Descriptions of the river and Mandy's job were fantastic and had me wanting to go on a rafting trip. Most importantly, the book wasn't predictable; instead, it twisted and turned, throwing poor Mandy all over the place. Great book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mehhh...., March 4, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Colorado Cozy, July 28, 2012
This is the first book in the RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery series. I would describe this as a light mystery, similar to a cozy. The plot was not too complicated, although there were many murder suspects throughout the story.

One thing that irked me was Mandy - the main character, and her obsession with violating police procedure during the murder investigation. At some point, I had to suspend my disbelief and just try to enjoy the rest of the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just passed the mark, July 12, 2012
The Book will be loved by the white water rafting community of Colorado and tolerated by most thriller readers.
The Author obviously loves the setting and crams all kind of useful information down our throats.
The heroine is feisty and sometimes annoying.
The mystery just about passes muster.

3.0 out of 5 stars DEADLY CURRENTS, July 1, 2012
Lynn Demsky "Lynn/MI" (Saint Clair, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I love the water, lakes, rivers - boating, canoeing, paddle boating and this book was just not my cup of tea! I didn't care for Mandy, she wasted to much time trying to show off and never being who she really was. I didn't care for her attitude towards men (even her brother) at all. Why she had a dog I have no idea because she left it alone way too much.....took me over a week to wade through the book and when I had it finished I decided NEVER would I go water rafting under ANY circumstances!

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK book., March 11, 2012
The book was just OK, not great but not bad. The plot is somewhat amateurish. It's a quick and easy read. I did enjoy the fact that it takes place in Colorado where I live.