4.0 out of 5 stars Where's the pied piper of Hamelin when you really need him?
Published on October 15, 2007 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars If you've got the money, buy it for laughs
The price as I write this is $29 plus shipping Too much for me, but if you have the money, buy it for fun.

My favorite part is sewer scene of the attacking rats....all those cute dachunds dressed in rat costumes, wagging like craxy as they pursue their next "victim." Don't kinow how the actors kept from laughing out loud on film.
Published on February 14, 2011 by KGS

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's the pied piper of Hamelin when you really need him?, October 15, 2007
Whenever you have dachshunds dressed up in rat costumes, get ready for the good times to roll. But wait - there's more. What if I told you that the great Scatman Crothers puts in a special guest appearance, too? I'm totally there, dude. I don't care how cheesy this movie is, I enjoyed it. I'm not saying Deadly Eyes is a great film, but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of horror fans say it is. Most of the time, the giant "rats" look pretty impressive to me, and heaven knows there are plenty of them on hand whenever they attack. I don't have any complaints about the gore quotient, either. It's not excessively gory - it's not like you see rats disemboweling people - but I think your average viewer will be more than satisfied by the sight of dozens of rats feeding on bloody victims. Heck, just the thought of seeing a rat pop out of nowhere will have many a person squirming. I also have to say that the film earns some bonus points in my book for a gutsy decision to make the first victim an innocent little toddler.

So what turns your basic sewer rat into a dog-sized carnivore? In this case, it's a huge supply of tainted, steroid-riddled grain already teeming with rats. Kelly Leonard (Sara Botsford), a local health inspector, justifiably orders the lot destroyed, but that just unleashes all of the giant hungry rats and puts them on a collision course with the human population. The first victims are a baby and her pretty irresponsible teenaged sister, followed by an old man, and then a field inspector. (Oddly enough, the first three deaths aren't discovered for some time, which is especially odd given the fact that the dead teenager's pot-smoking, beer-drinking juvenile delinquent friends were supposedly coming back to the house after making a burger run on the night she was killed). Kelly's boss and the city's penny-pinching mayor are not happy with her, as they put politics above public safety, but she at least finds an ally in her new beau, school teacher Paul Harris (Sam Groom). For a newly-divorced man, Harris is doing pretty well for himself; forget about Kelly (I certainly would), this guy's got the head cheerleader (Lisa Langlois) literally throwing herself at him.

Back to the rats. These super-vermin mean business, quickly running amuck in the big city, chewing through anything that gets in their way. The payoff for all of this comes in the form of two great scenes toward the end. The first one takes place in a crowded movie theatre, resulting in some delightful carnage; then, in the second one, the sleazy mayor gets a well-deserved comeuppance for putting his money and pride over the safety of his citizens.

I admit the film is far from perfect. Aside from the fact that the first victims are never mentioned again (not even by the older girl's classmates)in the days following their grisly deaths, you also have Harris spending the night with Kelly (on the first date, no less) when we know he has already picked up his son for the weekend, leaving us to wonder if the kid had to spend the night alone wondering where the heck his father was. These are little things, though; what matters are the rats, and they (even if they are just dogs in disguise) really deliver, as far as I'm concerned. One can only hope that Deadly Eyes eventually claims the just reward of a DVD release. This is rat `roid rage at its finest.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you've got the money, buy it for laughs, February 14, 2011
KGS (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars "Deadly Eyes" on BluRay/DVD: This is how it's done, people, August 14, 2014
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Oh yeah. I don't know what else to say, other than "Thank you, Shout! Factory." I've been waiting for this one for decades, and you didn't let me down. In fact, I have to say that you really outdid yourselves, and at the risk of being sensational, I believe this BluRay/DVD set serves as the exemplar of how to exhume an obscure, near-lost cult movie into a shiny new home-video release. Sure, if I want a top-shelf copy of "Videodrome" or "Repo Man" or "Eraserhead", I'll go to Criterion, and as a singular driving force behind the videophilia movement, they continue to do an excellent job. But some movies dwell where Criterion fears to tread, classics like "Kingdom of the Spiders", "Deathrace 2000", "Starcrash", and this wonderful gem, so all hail Shout! Factory, those fine purveyors of lowbrow cinematic cheese.

So why is this such a great release? Let me count the ways. First, there's the great, high-quality transfer of the complete feature in the original aspect ratio. (There are a few scenes near the beginning where the audio has some unwanted buzzing, but it's out of the way quickly.) Heaps of excellent extras, including a great documentary ("Dogs in Rats' Clothing") and some original lengthy interviews. I also appreciate the inclusion of both DVD and BluRay media formats. And all for a reasonable price.

There aren't many people who know about this film, and even fewer who will enjoy it enough to purchase it, so I'm sure it was tempting to pass this one along as an economical bare-bones release. But I'm glad they didn't. I'm usually not that interested in bonus features -- documentaries and interviews about garden-variety movies almost never appeal to me -- but with a movie like this, which I had to track down after being relegated to watching a DVD-R copy of my VCR-battered VHS copy that was taped straight from The Movie Channel back in the 80s, I devoured them all. It was great fun.

And if you're new to "Deadly Eyes", well ... I'm not entirely sure how you got here. You must have some pretty weird product recommendations in your Amazon profile or something. So be warned: this is one of my favorite bad movies of all time. Definitely in my Cinema con Queso Top Five. Swarms of killer rats, hopped up on steroids (and played alternately by puppets and dogs in rat suits), terrorizing a nameless metropolis with a geometrically (and entertainingly) escalating body count. Teens in heat, awkwardly stilted love scenes between the adults, interactions between characters that make no sense, blood the color and consistency of cranberry juice, swarms of dachshunds being wrangled rapidly through the sewers while cocooned in semi-convincing rat suits. I was laughing out loud from the moment I first saw it, and I've gone to great efforts to keep this movie in my life ever since. I remember vividly the night I showed this to some friends (both current and prospective) back in high school, some 30 years ago, thinking that they would find it as deprecatingly entertaining as I did. (The result: they never invited me back to their parties.) So it's not for everyone. But if you're a fan of Cinema con Queso, I recommend giving it a shot.

And the best part of this brand-new widescreen transfer? Watch Lisa Langlois lead the cheerleading practice: the line of cheerleaders off to the right of the screen are so chaotically out of sync it's asphyxiatingly hilarious. You can't get that with a pan-and-scan transfer, no sir.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE RATS HAVE GOTTEN INTO THE SUBWAY! And somehow, onto the Shout! DVD/Blu-Ray disc line up..., July 24, 2014
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
That's right, it's time to review the deadliest of the deadly: DEADLY EYES (1982)--(insert scream here)
Actually, for some reason the distributor on the print offered on the new Shout! Factory discs has found the copy with the title of NIGHT EYES on it--so please don't panic thinking you've gotten hold of the wrong film. Make no mistake: Robert Clouse's film is the one and only quasi-dog/rat masterpiece available on the modern marketplace. I suppose I could ramble on and speak of the great Cosmatos film "OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN" and compare it to this, but, unfortunately, Clouse's movie has nothing to do with rats (well, a little, but it's not ABOUT rats at all). There is a fairly unoriginal love story plot involving star Sam Groom and the lovely Sara Botsford, but poor old Sam is also being pursued by the vivacious Lisa Langlois too, and she's underage and he's been...well...short on romance lately, ha. (Don't worry, he behaves himself and avoids a prison sentence). With all of this silliness in mind, it's a good thing that the producers didn't push too hard for the original title of "THE RATS" because this movie has very little to do with rats, despite the fact that they are the tormentors of the picture and that there is an old professor/scientist type of person who explains a bit about what I like to call "ratology" (played by the gifted but underused Cec Linder). The only real saving grace here is the sadly forgotten Scatman Crothers who, despite his rather short performance, proves to be as enjoyable here as he has ever been elsewhere. He virtually saves what is otherwise a rather sad state of affairs. Yes, as I have written elsewhere, "Deadly Eyes" is an atrocity of a film--but on many levels, it is entertaining, and I do enjoy it for nostalgic purposes, so it isn't completely worthless. But the plot is underdeveloped and thin, the acting is generally non-existent, the special effects are a bunch of crap (despite the fact that I do enjoy the "look" of the dogs in rat costumes) and the film is way too short to even be considered a noteworthy script. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate films that make a lot for little money, and I do enjoy the exploitation angle of films like this, but it's really an insubstantial entertainment that is quite brief and quite pointless in the end. Why the filmmakers attached James Herbert's name to the credits when not one soul could muster the energy to read the source novel is beyond me; Herbert should have taken legal action appropriately, but hopefully (if he did not) he received a payment of substantial worth anyway. This is NOT an adaptation of the Herbert novel at all, as the screenwriters seemed to have invented every other plot point on from the time when the boy gets his hand bitten by a rat. True, Herbert's book would have been too gross and expensive to film but this is a ludicrous movie counterpart at best.
Of course, SHOUT! FACTORY'S effort is pristine, causing me to award five stars (again) to what is essentially a two-star film at best. The interview with writer Charles Eglee is hilarious--he is one of many who confess that they didn't even read the Herbert book! (Most wear a look on their face saying "book--what book?") The credit by the elusive Lanon Smith must have had something to do with the nature of this seriously disgruntled script, but the "Walking Dead" writer certainly didn't help much. Other interviews (with Langlois and Donaldson) are generally interesting and informative, and give a pretty fair idea of how difficult that the business is overall. The print transfer is great looking, and there is a quality soundtrack on display here. Unfortunately, there is no audio commentary offered, which would have gone a long way in explaining the lack of respect given to author Herbert and the transformations of the screenplay under the changing hands that it had to go through. A historian could have offered a great commentary track for this title because it really did need one. As such, the special features are incomplete, but generous nonetheless; I still would have liked to have had the trailer "they have been here for centuries..." but instead we only get a brief TV spot with the "from the bowels of Hell" line or whatever the hell that says.
For all of the negative aspects of this film, it is interesting to finally see it on a good print, so for the overall package I am giving it a solid A-. But if you are looking for a great film, don't go into this expecting grand results.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better special effects were needed, December 2, 2014
Joe Smart (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
After the steroid ridden grain that they were feasting on is burned by order of a health inspector giant rats are forced to move into the New York City sewers and eventually the subway tunnels.

Under-appreciated B-movie director Robert Clouse does an efficient job with the material but 1982's Deadly Eyes is one of those movies like Nightwing and Prophecy (both 1979) that would have benefited immensely from a bigger special effects budget. In general the giant rat effects here (they are supposed to be the size of large dogs) are a lot better than what you would see in a Bert I Gordon film and are sometimes surprisingly convincing. Where the effects hurt are the rat attack scenes--Clouse is stuck with puppets for close-up biting so he needs to cut away very quickly every time or the effects will look too cheesy. The attack scenes end up being way too tame--they aren't scary or grisly or gross because you never see anything.

Deadly Eyes is a decent monster movie if your expectations are low enough but it isn't likely to scare anyone other than very small children--but if you want to scare some kids there are much better movies you can inappropriately expose them to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, well made film has moments of genuine terror ..., January 9, 2015
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Fun, well made film has moments of genuine terror and a great job on the giant rats.Dynamite transfer looks like it was shot yesterday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 18, 2015
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Great movie came as they said it would on time you gotta love the 80s an 90s movies...

3.0 out of 5 stars Gonna need a bigger mouse trap, December 12, 2014
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Whether you like this or not will probably depend on your enjoyment of 80s style horror. Its a fun, cheesy 80s flick. Dachshunds dressed up in rat costumes terrorize the city. Theres really nothing more to it than that. If you're on the fence on whether or not to purchase this, i'd suggest doing what I did and watch the entire film on Youtube first. I enjoyed it enough to come here afterwards and purchase it. Plus, its Shout/Scream factory that pulled this movie out of obscurity and restored it. If you're a fan of theres then you already know of the quality and care they put into their releases. Fun movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars That made me love this movie even more, February 22, 2015
This review is from: Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I remembered this movie on HBO in the 80s and remember being scared of the rats(I was only 9-10 years old). Now watching it, I had to laugh at myself and the rats. Never knew they used Dachshunds as the rats. That made me love this movie even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Clamshell Edition VHS, November 12, 2014
This is a beautiful VHS and a genuine Clamshell Edition. I was very pleased with the quality of this movie, and the original Clamshell box. A big find!

Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray]
Deadly Eyes (Bluray/DVD Combo) [Blu-ray] by Robert Clouse (Blu-ray - 2014)
$26.99 $23.27