Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 5, 2014
I was one of the psychic mediums called in by the Moffitt family to attempt to clear the malicious entity that had tormented Lena Moffitt for so long.
Author Joie Albrecht has made a commendable effort to bring this gut-wrenching story to life and many of the incidents related were told me by Lena and Debbie themselves. It is a roller-coaster read and I can vouch for much of the content, however I can understand why some readers thought it was made up, especially when the author attempts to recreate Juanita's ritual, which of course is fictional. When fact and fiction are interspersed a logical reader has doubt about the complete story. I still possess some pictures I took of the slashed mattress after the entity's attack on the sleeping couple. Lena was a lovely Italian lady and Debbie was absolutely devoted to her mother in law. The whole family had been through absolute hell when I first met them. I remember stating that the elderly father Bill Sr. was the epicenter for the disturbance. I went to evening dinner with the family and Bill Sr. asked me to drop him at the house in my small Honda car. It was a foul and windy night but I agreed to do this. On our way back to the haunted house a wooden sign suddenly blew across the road and almost smashed into my windshield. This was a reinforcement of my belief that the elderly father was causing the trouble and was riddled with guilt and anger. I suspected that he had had a relationship with Juanita the housekeeper who had performed the original Santeria ritual calling up the entity. She was under the impression that he would divorce his wife and marry her so that she would not have to return to her native country. When her services were no longer needed she performed the ritual in an act of desperation.
If you can get over the fictionalized opening and a few excesses in description, this is a very readable book about a mostly taboo subject of demonic possession. I permitted my name to be used as I knew that Debbie was totally sincere in wishing to bring this account before the public. Unbelievable as it sounds I did actually witness the carved triangles in the carpets and the entity's writing on the bathroom mirror. Belief in demons is definitely not for the twenty-first century mind because of our scientific orientation, but from my various visits and interviews with family members I can reassure the reader that most of these events really did occur. I felt particularly sorry for the poor dogs that suffered from the entity's cruelty. It left me with the strong feeling that evil is very much alive and all of us should watch our thoughts and actions so that we do not attract the wrong kind of influences. As an addition to our understanding of these things A Deadly Haunting is a valuable contribution.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The writing itself was okay, it was easy to read and understand. What
makes it a worthwhile purchase is the story itself - and for that, it gets five stars. This isn't about
your run-of-the-mill, filthy-mouth demon who does terrible things just for the sake of doing them. This
demon has an agenda and he makes that frighteningly clear in the messages he writes on the mirror. If you want to
curl up on the side of your bed and share in a nightmare that you can't escape from, you won't be disappointed.

I can't wait for the movie.
on April 27, 2014
Hands down the most compelling paranormal story I've heard/read. I found this book via a Coast to Coast interview and finished in 2 days. The hell this family experienced is unimaginable. The book is written like a story, rather than a recounting of events - which ordinarily puts me off in true life novels but in this case, it really makes the story come to life. As well as allowing you to easily picture what the experiences were like, the writing style keeps you engaged and makes it a page turner.

As to skeptics ... I've heard people make remarks like "If this really happened, why would they wait 25 years to talk about it?" After you read the story, you understand why it was so hard for them to go public. Additionally, their dilemma wasn't a secret - they brought a lot of people in to try and help - including famous people in the paranormal field. And there are photos/evidence from their case as well.

Thank you to the writer and the family for telling this story ... It's a great book!
on April 21, 2014
I bought this book in the morning and had it finished by noon. The story has a way of pulling you in. This author definitely tries too hard to make the story more intense by filling it's pages with unneeded filler, but the story itself is exciting and fun to read. Sometimes it's a little hard to believe, but if you've ever had an enlightening experience, you can imagine these things happening. I'm sure there are more stories that could have been added. I hope Debie remembers some of those accts and decides to share them with us someday.
on April 24, 2014
This is one of the more creepy "REAL" Haunting books I have read. Compelling story, strange circumstances and remarkable activity. Had me peeking over the top of the book a few times to make sure nothing was creeping up on me and now I get nervous looking at mirrors.

Pay NO heed to the "Reviews" of those who didn't read the book but are going soley on a radio interview on Coast to Coast AM. They seem to miss the point that not everything can be covered in a radio interview, it is publicity for a book, and in my opinion a well written documentation of a riveting story.

Dave Schrader Host of Darkness Radio
Guest Host of Coast to Coast AM
on April 16, 2014
They say, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions", and "A Deadly Haunting" shows just how true that can be. Tales of the paranormal have always fascinated me and this book does not disappoint. Rarely does an active haunting behave the way that this one did and that makes it all the more interesting.

Apportation
Phantom writing
Strange symbols

It's little wonder why the Moffit family kept quiet for so many years. With luck no other family will have to suffer such a nightmarish haunting as this.

Also, Hollywood pick this up!
on April 24, 2014
I found a 'Deadly Haunting" an excellent first time outing for the authoress and while it does read like a movie Ms, Albrecht does keep a 6 year timeline in perspective with style and grace. Not everyone will like it, but it does what a paranormal book is supposed to do, frighten and entertain.
on April 28, 2014
I thought this was a very creepy book. It even had me looking out in my own house for anything wrong, even though inside I know it is not haunted. I decided I wanted to read this book after listening to an interview on Coast-to-Coast when I woke up in the middle of the night and I started listening to this. I would and already have recommended this book to people who like scary books or movies.
on April 27, 2014
My friend bought this for me as a gift. I wasn't sure I'd like it because it isn't the kind of book I usually read. By the second chapter I was really drawn in. I'm recommending this to my book club. It was really scary and easy to read. It left me wanting more.
on April 25, 2014
A Deadly Haunting was a great read. When I purchased this book I thought I was buying something more akin to a documentary of the haunting it is based on. It is not a documentary but a story narrative of the haunting. With that in mind, I still enjoyed it. There are some obvious dramatizations (mainly parts of the story where no one could realistically account for what was happening) and there are some parts of the book that I am not sure of. I am not an expert on the paranormal, but I do know that no expert would want their name to be in this book unless it was based on the truth - and a lot of experts were named!

If you're a believer/fan of the paranormal or a fan of the horror genre, then I recommend A Deadly Haunting. You'll never look at mirrors the same way again.