UPDATE (6/21/12):

Published on March 23, 2012 by M. Schnitzer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Dino's Best Work
Published 14 months ago by wooster

5.0 out of 5 stars Full-Length, Unabridged Episodes of The Dean Martin Show Finally Come To DVD!, March 23, 2012
M. Schnitzer (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
UPDATE (6/21/12):

THIS JUST IN: One month after The Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut was released, The Golddiggers Super Site has learned exclusively that a 4th Dean Martin Show DVD set is in the works... Also: Guthy-Renker has pulled its Dean Martin Show volumes from the market (this time, forever)...Plus: The most thorough REVIEW and analysis of the new DMS Uncut DVDs to be found anywhere.

If you're a fan of Dean and his series and care about its future course, you won't want to miss our extensive coverage, which can be found simply by entering into any search engine the words: Updates/TheGolddiggers Super Site

ORIGINAL PREVIEW (3/23/12):

As those who have either purchased or simply read about past DVD releases of Dean Martin Show material are all too aware, many of the musical numbers from the original programs have gone missing from the home video editions, as casualties of the often prohibitively high cost of licensing reuse rights from music publishers, composers, and their estates. But fans of Dean's series who've long lamented this frustrating situation now have new cause to rejoice, with the imminent rollout of this forthcoming collection from Time-Life.

As its title suggests, The Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut at last delivers what Dino enthusiasts have long wished for: whole, unedited episodes -- in this case, 6 of them, drawn from the first 6 years of the series' run, digitally remastered on 3 DVDs.

Among the celebrated guest stars and familiar series regulars whose musical numbers will actually be shown in their entirety on these discs are: Cyd Charisse, Joey Heatherton, Caterina Valente, Barbara McNair, Zero Mostel, Leslie Uggams, Abbe Lane, Buck Owens, Buddy Ebsen, The Lettermen, Dom DeLuise, The Golddiggers and The Dingaling Sisters. And of course, most importantly of all, every one of Dean's performances -- both solo and in tandem with others -- has been included.

The parties responsible for producing this set -- Time-Life, NBCUniversal and The Dean Martin Family Trust -- deserve major kudos, not only for responding to fans' desires for complete, unabridged episodes, but also for managing to bring these wonderful goods to market for a very low price. In fact, to truly appreciate what a superb value this package is, one need only compare it to Guthy-Renker's Dean Martin DVDs, which, while offering an hour's worth of admittedly fabulous segments per volume, cost $19.95 apiece. By contrast, Time-Life's newest effort, if purchased at Amazon's current pre-order price, yields a total of SIX unedited episodes for about the same amount as a single G-R disc.

For much more on the new Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut collection, including further details of the Original Air Dates and lineups of the episodes featured -- info that you won't find anywhere else -- just Google the title of The Golddiggers Super Site's exclusive article: Dino Vino Undiluted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review From a Former NBC-TV Executive & Founder of "The Dean Martin Fan Center", March 28, 2012
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
If anyone wants complete versions of Dean Martin's Variety Show released to the public, it is I, along with thousands of fans worldwide! I was so lucky to have been there at NBC, as a network executive, for every taping of Dean's Variety Show during it's nine-year run. There was nothing like Dean's show, and there will never be anything like it again. The stars and celebrities that walked through those doors were overwhelming! Even the folks behind the scenes were like a loving family. Dean himself was just as you saw him on the screen, and the bond that I formed decades ago is still with me today!

If it were not for Time-Life investing in previous Dean Martin show releases, there would not be this third installment of Dean's Variety Show on DVD. Mainly because of legal reasons, the previous two sets had some of Dean's songs edited out. Now, for the first time, six of Dean's shows from his nine-year span on NBC are able to be released with all the songs intact (minus one song which could not be restored from the original master).

It is with great honor and satisfaction that I have been able to help Time-Life, almost forty-some years later, to present to a younger generation what a phenomenon Dean's show was like. It's even a bigger thrill to bring back those wonderful memories for the rest of us "older" folks to remember.

Once again, Lee Hale is the "hands on" creative consultant on this DVD release. Lee was the shows' original (Emmy nominated) "Special Materials" person and Musical Director. Lee Hale was also nominated for Emmy Awards in producing and editing. Because of Lee Hale, these releases have all the original flavor and continuity of the original broadcasts -- only more vibrant with re-mastering of the ORIGINAL color tapes of the show.

The price is good on this set of six-shows on 3 DVD's. For more information on The Time-Life DVDs and Dean Martin himself, there will be an exclusive layout in the forthcoming Dean Martin Fan Center magazine. Check out the Dean Martin Fan Center online!

This set is the best to date of any Dean Martin Show releases! It feels like I'm back in studio 4 at NBC all over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Show over and I was still smiling, May 28, 2012
Vincent T. Lynch "vtl" (Colorado Springs, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
What a joy to finally see some of Dean's old shows intact with no cuts! And despite what one of our reviewers said, the video and audio quality is excellent considering the master tapes are over 40 years old. It was great seeing the guest stars (and quite a variety it was), all of whom I remembered well, but I think as I am now not a kid any longer that I actually am appreciating some of them far more than I did at the time. I was such a fan that I can actually remember sitting in Mr. Davis' biology class and not being able to concentrate because I was thinking that Dean was on that night. And it's sort of the same now, because as each of these programs ending I would sit there for a couple of minutes and find myself still grinning with enjoyment.

Yes, with the old variety shows, sometimes you had to sit through performances of people you didn't always appreciate, but Dean's shows more than made up for that with the spontaneity and good-natured humor that was always there.

I hope Time-Life does more of these. I'll buy everyone they put out and I relish sitting there and living the joy all over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth waiting for, June 8, 2012
Joanna Dibernardo (Valley Center, Ca.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I grew up watching this wonderful show & purchased this strictly because it is UNCUT...I refuse to invest in DVD sets that promise "The Best Of..." only to realize the DVD producers' idea of "Best Of" is definitely not mine & these wonderful shows don't deserve to be destroyed by editing. I hope TimeLife releases more of these wonderful UNCUT collections.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Dino's Best Work, June 26, 2013
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
I like Dean Martin and watched his variety show back in the day. These are definitely not the best shows from his hit series. Few (if any) of the guest entertainers on these six shows were any good...mostly just slap-stick, unfunny comic skits and dancing around with the Goldiggers. Dean does justice to a couple of songs, but most of the other (dozen or so) songs are butchered-up by his goofy attempts to be funny.

There were a few redeeming moments though: "yodeling" George Gobbels was a treat as was a balancing act by a couple of weight lifters. The were also a couple of unheard-of comics that were funny. But that was about it for these six shows.

I remember a lot of really good episodes from The Dean Martin Show...with appearances by some of the best entertainers and comedians of all time. I know it's too much to ask, but I sure wish they'd find a way to bring back those episodes uncut. Now that would be a REAL treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
As a life long fan of Dean Martin, I also was very disappointed with the two previous releases that contained high lights of the Dean Martin show. This "Uncut" dvd is what we've all been waiting for. Nearly 50 years old and the shows still seem funny today. Even acts I had never heard of were still fun to watch as Dean usually made an appearance to chat or joke or sing with the person. If your a fan of Dean Martin then you will probably already be buying this, if your leery of the other two releases, have no fear. This is the entire show and well worth your money and time. I hope they release more sets like this. Very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, complete shows! And what a "variety" of performers!, July 15, 2012
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
Well, I guess the folks at Time-Life and the Dean Martin Family Trust - heard the word when they released the "Best of" compilations last year. Nearly everyone was glad the shows were out but really annoyed that they were cut. When you saw the finale of a show and one of your favorite entertainers was there but not actually on the DVD, it became frustration.

Well, now that issue has been resolved with this (hopefully FIRST in a series) of "Uncut" collections. (Only the commercials are missing so each runs about 50 minutes.). Now the show makes more sense with the proper pacing from beginning to end.

The Dean Martin Variety show was one of the last of it's breed presenting diverse performers on each show. One example is show #0820 from January 1968 where we get the sex-kitten singing and dancing of Joey Heatherton only moments away from Bakersfield-country performer Buck Owens and that follows (by only a few minutes) the great Orson Welles reciting a scene from " The Merchant of Venice". Welles returns later to perform some magic with Martin. Not all the acts hold up well (this show had comedian Bob Melvin doing some pretty stale jokes), and one episode even includes David & Goliath, a strongman act, but Martin is in top form throughout, often appearing to "wing it".

If I find fault with watching these old shows it's that they used a pre-recorded laugh track that makes the laughs seem forced. They are still using LTs for shows like "The Big Bang Theory" which would be funny with out the track. I guess it's a personal preference but laugh tracks bug me.

This volume of the show (I note it is not titled with a volume number) contains six "complete shows" The video quality is passable though not sharp - do to the age (and I'm guessing) storage of the original tape masters. But Dean is hilarious whether he is in focus or not and some of the "smokiness" may be due to the cigarettes that seem to be attached to his fingers.

So, the folks at Time-Life have redeemed themselves this time and hopefully more volumes will see the light of day.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm elated!!!, May 29, 2012
JOE JOE (Everett, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
I received my Dean Martin Uncut set just last week, watched the first episode with Sid Caesar & The Lettermen as guests. (I plan on spreading my viewing out at least once a week as much as I'm tempted to watch them all in one siting, but I love the "can't wait till next week's show" feeling) And so far all I can say is "Rejoice all ye Dean Martin fans and fans of variety shows from a too sadly far gone era, Dean is back!!" Even though I felt Sid Caesar's comedy bits didn't quite hold us as well (and I'm a Sid Caesar fan), I was quite delighted and have no regrets sitting through the 1st of the six. Even though as of this review I can't talk about the remaining five shows, I had no problem with the mastering of what I saw. Considering the age of the video source, I think the producers of this did well with the one episode I did watch thus far. And I thought all the musical numbers were superb!! As the new week has arrived, I will be slipping in the disc for the #2. And something tells me I won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dean and company at their best - uncut!, October 21, 2012
steve_manassas (Manassas, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
A few years ago, I purchased the Guthy-Renker versions of Greg Garrison Presents The Best of the Dean Martin Variety Show - here is an example. I enjoyed them, but all of the DVDs consisted of one hour of clips culled from various episodes of the series. NBCUniversal has since sued to take the G-R versions off the market, according to the Golddiggers Super Site. Time-Life has taken over the rights to THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW, in conjunction with NBCUniversal and the Martin estate. Their first two collections, The King of Cool: The Best of The Dean Martin Variety Show and The Best of The Dean Martin Variety Show (Collector's Edition) consisted of heavily edited episodes. Now, Time-Life has released six uncut episodes in a three-DVD set (except for one Buck Owens number that was cut due to permanent damage to the master). All of the episodes begin with the NBC Peacock logo ("The following program is brought to you in Living Color on NBC"), have the bumpers ("The Dean Martin Show is brought to you by..."), although for obvious legal reasons, they cannot name the sponsors, and most of them end with the NBC "snake" logo and chimes. The episodes feature great comedy, song, and dance, with Dean and guests Joey Heatherton, Leslie Uggams, Barbara McNair, Bob Newhart, Dom DeLuise, Buddy Ebsen, Orson Welles, The Golddiggers, The Ding-A-Lings, and much much more. Considering the age of the shows, the picture and sound quality are fantastic.

The Dean Martin Christmas Show will be out soon, and according to the Golddiggers Super Site, there should be more "uncut" DEAN MARTIN SHOW volumes in the future. I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars hope there is going to be more UNCUT shows, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut (DVD)
The best thing about this collection is that these are COMPLETE AND UNCUT shows. You watch just the way they were on TV.
Hope there is going to be more like this.

Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut
Dean Martin Variety Show Uncut by Dean Martin (DVD - 2012)
$29.98 $19.88