5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a diet that works.
Published on May 29, 2010 by Lucy T.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Low Production Values
I was really surprised at how cheap this video looks and how poorly it's edited for a finished product.

Published 20 months ago by Bohemian Bon Vivant

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a diet that works., May 29, 2010
Lucy T. (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less (DVD)
I'm only sorry I was over 60 when I was told about this book and way of eating. A friend who had lost over 35 pounds recommended it to me. Before I read the book I felt the method was way too restrictive and dismissed it. Then I ordered the book and read exactly what the eating plan entailed. I felt it was very doable and that everything Dean Ornish was suggesting were foods that I enjoyed and actually loved. I have lost over 30 pounds, going from 172 to 140. Yes it took me 2 years but I never had a problem sticking to it. I have totally changed the way I eat and what I eat when I go out. One caveat, however, is that it is difficult to eat this way if you eat out a lot. There is very little dairy or oil in this diet--and you won't mind if you read the last part of the book with suggestions on how to cook without oil--but almost every restaurant loads up vegetarian type dishes with cheese or cream or both. I have a few favorite restaurants here in Chicago where I can choose easily from their regular menu but just ask them to leave off the sauce.
If you enjoy simple, clean, fresh food that is simply prepared and if you enjoy chili beans, lentils, chick peas brown rice, ww pasta and all the dishes you can make with them, then you should try this diet. It's not a diet to me but a new way of eating. My son is also eating this way and he is much happier eating this way and says he will never go back to meat and potatoes. Thank you Dean Ornish for changing my life! I have never felt this good and I am 68.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not What I expected!!, August 23, 2010
This review is from: Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less (DVD)
This DVD was not at all what I expected or wanted. I liked the video and the information and recipes were all good. However, I had a hardcopy of the book by the same title and was hoping to gain an electronic copy of that book. I like to be able to search electronically for specific information or recipes. This DVD has a few new recipes but they were very hard to get back to if one did not copy them by hand when they were first viewed. It was nice hearing Dr. Ornish discuss his program but I already knew all that information from his previous books. I am still looking for electronic versions of all his approved recipes or new research he has done on diet improvements. For someone who has not read his works this is an excellent introduction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Low Production Values, June 14, 2013
This review is from: Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less (DVD)

While the content is okay, and there are three recipes included (butternut squash soup, tofu chocolate pudding, and a sandwich with two kinds of spreads on it that I know to be good individually), there are literally a few places where the doctor says something then there's an edit and he's repeating the same thing again.

This is Dr. Ornish standing in a kitchen with a chef milling about behind him the whole time and the chef cuts in to show how to make the three recipes.

You would think if anyone gave this any thought whatsoever when you're looking at the chapters you would be able to click on the parts of the recipe, but no, you have to scroll through to find them and then rewrite them from a screen capture. (Also, the order of things in the recipe doesn't necessarily correspond to what the chef does in the video, but I guess it all works out in the end.)

I'd skip this and buy the book and go through it with a highlighter and mark it up good and take good notes, but if you want the recipes they're here. The soup looks good, and I'll likely try the pudding too at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less (DVD)
This DVD helped to explain the why of my need to change to a better eating regiment. Being a vegetarian sounds great. But for me, Iam still growing into it. Having smaller portions of meat that is not fried nor red meat works for me with this new way of eating. I like it very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, February 24, 2015
OK

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less (DVD)
How can I trust a doctor who doesn't admit that a low or better no fat diet is unhealthy, even more when studies and researches demonstrate that the countries with the lowest heart disease are France and Italy? The Mediterranean diet has a normal percentage of healthy fats, like the ones in olive oil and fish.
What does he say about fish? "You might say, well, why not eat fish, because then you can get the fish oil directly from the fish. And you can. The problem is that the fish with the highest amount of omega 3 fatty acids are also the highest in fat and cholesterol"....so.....his answer is to take pills instead of eating healthy fish 3 times a week with a big salad!!!

Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less
Dean Ornish, M.D.: Eat More, Weigh Less by P J Global (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: $17.99