Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

VINE VOICEon October 18, 2009
I keep waiting to hear a CD from Breaking Benjamin that I don't completely enjoy but I've yet to be let down. Even now, with Dear Agony, I find myself liking them even more than before.

I'll go ahead and get the one kind of neutral point of this CD out of the way--it's more of the same. Nothing we haven't really heard before. BUT! Breaking Benjamin is so good at what they do that I don't find myself caring about that. In fact, that's actually what I wanted. I wanted a hard rocking CD with a few 'ballads' strewn about. After a few lackluster CDs from some of my favorite bands recently, BB bring me the dose of hard rock I've been yearning for for oh so long.

Dear Agony follows closely in the footsteps of its predecessor, Phobia. Dealing moreso with pain than before, is the thing that makes Dear Agony a bit better even than Phobia though. The entire CD moves swiftly, too swiftly in fact. With only 11 tracks they make good with every song so we don't have to skip any single track. Sure, it'll take a few listens to begin to enjoy each and every song but once you do you'll keep coming back for more time and again.

Dear Agony rocks hard. Plain and simple. Every aspect of this CD is just amazing. From the headbang-worthy riffs to the parts where you find yourself screaming right along with Ben without even realizing it, I'm hardpressed to find a downside. The thing, as I stated earlier, that makes Dear Agony so good is the lyrics. I think on Phobia is where Ben really started getting good at writing songs, here he shows that even more. From his 'You can't break me' anthems to his beautiful love song-esque ballads, he's really spread his wings on this record. Another thing that seems to be only getting better is his voice. When he screams he'll evoke more emotion in you than ever before yet when he calms things down and belts out the vocals that truly soar he'll raise goosebumps.

Favorites include the lead single I Will Not Bow, the powerful Crawl, the tender Give Me A Sign, the emotionally intense Anthem of the Angels, title track Dear Agony, and the anthemic Into The Nothing. From beginning to end there's no low point to this CD. Highly recommended.
on September 29, 2009
Their last album wasn't their best, but it was full of radio friendly songs that stations could play and build the exposure for the band. That's great for these guys, as they truly deserve every ounce of fame they achieve. But for this album, you can really tell they have matured lyrically and musically from their previous albums. Not one song on this album is similar to another, as was the case on previous albums. There's a great deal of variety in all the songs and you can tell this band is becoming something great.

1) Fade Away (9/10) - This song is a GREAT way to start off the album. I can almost guarantee that this song will be a single.

2) I Will Not Bow (9/10) - This song is the first single off the album, and it really shows how the band has matured in one song. From the catchy riff, to the scream of "Fall" throughout the song, to the highs and lows throughout the chorus and verses, you can really see how Ben is being more confident in his voice.

3) Crawl (9/10) - This song really stood out to me the first time I heard it due to the growls in the chorus. It's such a dark song, and could be one of my favorites of the record.

4) Give Me A Sign (10/10) - I've been a Breaking Benjamin fan since the "Saturate" days, and I've honestly never liked one of their slow songs that much - but this song is different. The first time I heard this song, I was in the car with my girlfriend and we couldn't help but smile at this song. It shows a different side to a love song, and many people I've talked to have said this is their favorite song on the album.

5) Hopeless (8/10) - Again, a song with some growling. This song is really heavy and shows the new direction that I believe the band is going. Heavy music, Heavy lyrics, Growls = sweeeet!

6) What Lies Beneathe (6/10) - Not a song that I really liked from the start, but has grown on me since that first listening. I just really don't think it's that catchy.

7) Anthem of the Angels (7/10) - Once again, not that catchy of a song, but it's something different from the band.

8) Lights Out (9/10) - Very catchy guitars with a simple beat throughout. Not to mention the anger in Ben's voice you can hear at certain points.

9) Dear Agony (8/10) - The album's title track, of course. Another song that is going to take some listening to before I learn to love it.

10) Into The Nothing (9/10) - I love how this song is structured and the chorus is one of my favorites from the band. It sounds like a very Saturate-esque type of song also.

11) Without You (8/10) - Not a slow song, but a "love song" as I like to put it. This one is quite upbeat, which is why I like it. Overall, it's a great way to end the album.
77 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
This is one of the best albums I have bought in years. I bought it for 3 specific songs and love every song on it. It is the only cd I own that I can put on shuffle and not have to worry about changing the song. So in short, if you like Breaking Benjamin, this is the album to get. You won't be sorry.
on October 11, 2014
I love Breaking Benjamin. And this is one of those albums that you can listen to over and over and it won't get old. Fade Away had to be the most misunderstood song on the album. I've read reviews about people saying that Fade Away was the worst song. In my opinion it was one of the best.
I Will Not Bow never fails to disappoint, how could it? The entire song holds you from start to finish.
Crawl was great. I was skeptical after seeing the lyrics, but it was flawless.
Give Me A Sign was one of my least favorites. Sure, the beat was good and everything, but I just never got into it. It didn't stand out to me.
Hopeless is definitely my favorite on the album. I can't say much about it except that it is awesome.
What Lies Beneath was all right. It began to grow on me after a few listens, but it isn't my first choice.
Anthem of the Angels is perfect. Sad and sorrowful, this song is just amazing.
Lights Out is another amazing one. The lyrics are good, the music is good, there is no way to go wrong with this song.
Dear Agony is my ultimate fave. It delivers great lyrics straight from the heart and amazing music. Sorry but I love this.
Into The Nothing was fairly good. I liked the lyrics but I didn't get into the beat. It didn't seem to fit with the music.
Without You never fails to disappoint. If anyone says they hate BB, I let them listen to this song and they give it a chance.
on April 2, 2014
Five stars for a great ROCK album from that start with "Fade Away" to the end with "Without You".
Ben's brain is beautiful as the cover art for this album and his vocals are just powerful and gorgeous! This band is one of my all time faves behind Shinedown (#1) and Godsmack (#2). If you like a hard rock thrill of a ride GET THIS Album!
on August 22, 2015
This is one album I can listen to without skipping ANY songs. The song list is:
Fade Away
Anthem Of The Angels
Hopeless
Give Me A Sign
Without You

This is probably their best album! Better buy then purchasing the songs separately because you will want all of them. If your looking for someone else then if they like alternative music then this is a must buy!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2011
I have been a big fan of BB for many years. I love all of their albums. They have their own distinct sound and they bring amazing lyrics to their songs. In my opinion this ablum is their best so far.

Dear Agony is still the same Breaking Benjamin, but it has a different sound and tone than that of the other albums like Saturate, or We are not alone. (Which I highly recomend BTW) The songs in this album bring a very heartfelt and somber atmosphere yet they provide a sort of solace. The lyrics in this album are very touching and it sounds just magnificent! I highly recomend this CD.

My favorite songs in this album would be; "I will not bow," "Fade Away," and "Lights out."
on February 24, 2016
This is one of my favorite albums from Breaking Benjamin. I rarely skip any song and it rocks hard in my Bose 5.1 surround in my SUV :) I ordered used and it came in amazing shape, no scratches, no flaws, and even the jewel case was in great shape. I highly recommend this CD to any existing or new Breaking Benjamin fan!
on December 30, 2014
Breaking Benjamin has been out for a while, and I never really listened to them. I got the CD because I heard a song on Pandora, Give me a Sign, and thought 'why not?'

All the songs on there are great, but there are certain ones that become favorites. For someone who hasn't been listening to them much, I can't compare it to their other albums. (Listen to Breaking Benjamin on Pandora, or youtube if you want to get into them, and see if you like their music) I enjoy the album, so even if you are not a huge fan, and only hear hits on the radio, I would suggest giving this CD a listen.
on May 11, 2015
From time to time, this album has served as the soundtrack to my life. It's odd how something is able to be comforting while touching a white hot nerve, but this album manages to do it. There's just something about how the lyrics essentially portray a person defeated, yet the chord progressions in some of the songs seem to emit this tiny bit of optimistim that somehow, things might actually turn out to be okay...even though that's never actually the case.

This resonates so hard with me; this is the noise inside my head.

My own personal hell really starts its sprint towards the end with the frustrated rage of "Hopeless".

The final line of the final song, "Without You," seems to be all five stages of grief expressed in seven words: "I forgive you. Forget you. The end." My breath always catches at the orchestral outro that follows. Maybe it's the exhaustion of finally letting go, the battle-weary exhalation of acceptance, something...?

Breaking Benjamin just GETS me, okay? That's why this is one of my all-time favorite albums. ...I just hate that it *has* to be. So it goes.