5.0 out of 5 stars FM Static [Dear Diary]
Published on April 7, 2009 by Kevin Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars FM Static- Dear Diary [crobsession.tumblr.com]
FM Static (aka Trevor McNevan and Steve Augustine of Thousand Foot Krutch) released their sophmore effort three years ago. Having taken a break for TFK, they are back with their next album, Dear Diary.

Published on August 22, 2009 by GOFISHFISHER

5.0 out of 5 stars FM Static [Dear Diary], April 7, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)
What's the difference between FM Static and Thousand Foot Krutch? Singer-songwriter Trevor McNevan and drummer Steve Augustine lead both bands, but the former is a side project to the latter. More than anything, having two names makes it easier to take some fun creative chances. Like pursuing the idea for a concept album where every lyric is the innermost thought of a soul-searching teenager. When that spark of inspiration entered Trevor's head last year while TFK was on tour with Skillet, he knew Dear Diary was a perfect job for FM Static. This album is totally creative and so incredibly catchy, it reminded me of some of the best punk rock impact albums of the past 15 years, including Weezer's "Blue Album", Relient K's "Mmhmm" and Plain White T's "All That We Needed". The album caught me off guard as I have "What Are You Waiting For?" and "Critically Ashamed" and consider them more guilty pleasure type punk rock albums, similar to Relient K's first three albums leading to the critically acclaimed "Mmhmm".

The first song "Boy Moves to a New Town with Optimistic Outlook" introduces the never-named star who hopes to find something or someone worth living for. Over a punk tempo and pop melody he wonders: "What will we leave behind but the pages of our life? " I can't stop listening to this song and it has the most catchy bridge and chorus I've heard in this genre in many years. The next song "The Unavoidable Battle of Feeling on the Outside" drills into the psyche with a simple guitar riff and his simple social truth: "I'm not an idiot, but I feel like one a lot." You have to listen to the whole album in sequence and I recommend having the lyrics handy as you'll most likely find yourself singing along at the top of your lungs as you follow along with this very hook-filled album, one of my top albums of 2009. Some other highlights for me are "The Voyage of Beliefs", which is an amazing duet between McNevan and Superchick's Tricia Brock where the characters both step up in faith, proclaiming a belief in God that is their own, not just the one their families have handed down. Also, Dear Diary's first single, "Take Me As I Am" is another highlight.

Although this is a surefire hit for the younger audience, I highly recommend Dear Diary for all fans of the punk rock genre, like myself. Trevor's songwriting and singing is top notch and for me, this is my new "Blue Album" by Weezer, which was the soundtrack album of my twenties when I wasn't saved. I love that Christian themed punk rock can sound this amazing!

3.0 out of 5 stars FM Static- Dear Diary [crobsession.tumblr.com], August 22, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)

Dear Diary is a concept album, that tells the story of a high school kid that moves to a new town, hence the lengthy title of the first track, "Boy Moves To A New Town With An Optimistic Outlook." He keeps a diary, and the rest of the album is about what he writes. "The Unavoidable Battle Of Feeling On The Outside", another lengthy title, is exactly what it sounds like it would be about. There really isn't anything that isn't clear in this concept album.

The entire album is really catchy--exactly what you would expect from this pop/punk group. There isn't a song that won't get stuck in your head at one point or another. The track, "The Voyage Of Beliefs", featuring Tricia Brock of Superchic[k], I find is extremely hard to get out of your head. Another thing that makes it even better is that the lyrics aren't overly positive like most pop/punk bands. The music gets a bit more serious in "Her Father's Song" and the mood continues through the next couple of songs, but picks up again at "The Shindig (Off To College)". The seriousness and fun is perfectly balanced.

Overall Dear Diary is a great album for anyone who's looking for something fun. McNevan and Augustine really surprised me with this one. Just don't listen to it too much, because you're going to find it hard to get it out of your head!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Lyrics, Amazing CD!!, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)
I absolutely LOVE this CD. I'm a huge fan of TFK and recently have gotten into FM Static's music. I first saw the video for Her Father's Song. I didn't really know the story behind the song but thought it was good. I ordered the cd with only knowing that one song. I popped it into my car stereo and it's been there ever since. All the songs are amazing! It's not like you buy a cd and only end up listening to 2 or 3 songs on it...This entire cd is riveting and catchy. I find myself singing the songs while I'm at work! :D It's nice to hear songs from how a guy views them. It's real stuff that everyone's going through and that's why I like it. I can connect with what I am listening to. Also, I joke with my friends that Boy Meets Girl (and vice versa) is secretly about me. haha. :D If you buy this cd, you will NOT be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing a Journal, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Dear Diary (MP3 Music)
This album is quite a realistic piece. I can only pick a particular favorite on the kinds of energy the songs bring to it all; the lyrics are just so comforting and realistic and understanding, for any and all ages. I wouldn't recommend playing it quietly unless you're in a situation where quiet is essential or you're on a softer song. It's a great album to hear when you or a friend need some understanding or energy, or maybe even both. It also works well for long drives or Youth Ministry events (I operate the audio and video for the Jr. High youth at my church, and when I first played songs from this album, there was so much more energy from the kids, as well as a less irritated attitude from literally everyone who was irritated before the music started. Pre-event, of course).

The lyrics are often similar to a diary writing, and unlike most songs out there, they're more focused on spiritual struggles than a life-or-death situation or a major epiphany that ends when the song ends. From mountains of apathy to having a personal take on faith that differs from one's parents, FM Static gives the audience an album worth much more than they charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift, January 26, 2013
..... .... .... .. .. ... .. . .. . . . . . .... C c c c cc c

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, April 19, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)
This is an amazing album. I have always loved FM Static's sound, but Critically Ashamed didn't have the depth I was hoping for. Dear Diary not only has great lyrical content, but it is also great musically. The songs are catchy and fun with a perfect mix of sincerity. I also love that it is a concept album, following the life of a teenage boy. The way the songs fit together to create a story make it even better. I definitely recommend buying this CD! The cover includes more insights into the boy's diary, basically describing what is going on in his life to explain the songs. It is a great companion to the CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for any FM Static fan, May 23, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)
FM Static's latest album "Dear Diary" is absolutely outstanding! I have to admit being a little skeptical as I didn't know what direction they would take after their second album "Critically Ashamed". Every song on the album is catchy and I love their sound. This album is similar to their last 2, but is a significant step ahead. The lyrics are positive, yet very real and relatable. To me, FM Static has raised the bar for Christian punk music even above those like Run Kid Run and Relient K.

The only song that doesn't completely hit it out of the park is "Boy Meets Girl". My favorites are "Dear God" and "Sometimes You Can Forget Who You Are".

Since I've purchased this album 2 weeks ago, it hasn't left my player! I even bought it for a friend as a gift and she can't stop saying how awesome it is either. Completely worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definate Must Get!!, May 21, 2009
Itzaira Cambrelen (Staten Island, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Diary (MP3 Music)
You can relly relate to each song, I really love this album, I would recommend people to get this Album, it really changed me and the way I coul have a better and mature life in Christ and always trusting in Him, No matter what the problem is.

4.0 out of 5 stars I HATE FM STATIC, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)
I can't tell you how much I've hated every piece of work that fm static, relient k (who I wish would break up for the sake of my ears), and hawk nelson has ever managed to pump out. I can't stand trevors voice, or much less the musical style of the two past albums, they were to much reflecting every other insincere cheesy punk band out there. This cd rocked, trevor figured out where his vocal range belongs, and the style was sincere and of quality and not cheesy. This album rocked. I hated the others. Buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dear Diary, Boys Don't Write Diaries, April 21, 2009
This review is from: Dear Diary (Audio CD)
FM Static, the far better side-project of Thousand Foot Krutch has their share of catchy diversions in their relatively short existence, but the rest of the time the songs either don't sound right, or they're just plain bad. Unfortunately, this record falls back in the same pitfalls, and it doesn't exactly have it's catchy diversion either. And for supposedly being a pop/rock record, it has a few too many sappy songs, but that's mainly due to the story the album is trying to tell, since it's a concept record about high school. Of course, I only care about the music, so I don't pay attention to the lyrics. But Trevor McNevon tries, and in the process comes out with some good songs, but nothing more.

Highlights:
Boy Moves to a New Town with Optimistic Outlook
The Unavoidable Battle Of Feeling On The Outside
Sometimes You Can Forget Who You Are
The Voyage of Beliefs

Before giving my recommendation, let me direct you to a record called "Fast Times at Barrington High" by The Academy Is... This record was also a concept record about high school. What's the difference between the two? FM Static is from a religious prospective, and contains much more sap. 'Barrington High' was not only a non-stop upbeat record, catchy and fun, but a five-star effort all the way and Rolling Stone went as far to say it was the 46th best record of 2008.

"Dear Diary" on the other hand is really none of these things, and it won't be making anybody's year-end best-of lists. Really, I'm a big fan of the genre, and this just doesn't cut it. In 'The Unavoidable Battle Of Feeling On The Outside' Trevor sings, "I don't care if it comes out perfect, as long as I can spit it out." This is clearly the approach they took to the record.

Dear Diary