5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed the book
Very interesting romantic novel. Very interesting plot the twist and turns and how it all ends. What people do to hide their insecurities. I think that everyone con identify with something in this book.
Published 16 months ago by Max Pierce

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Blue Ribbons from Romance Junkies
Published 23 months ago by Lily

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Blue Ribbons from Romance Junkies, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
As the descendent of literature's most beloved couple, relationship advice columnist Olivia Darcy is expected to be quite the expert on love. And she is...if one doesn't count the lack of love in her own life. Miss Darcy's career is steadily on the rise until she answers a letter from the ex-girlfriend of Christopher Stanley, one of the country's most infamous bachelors. Soon a war erupts between the proud Christopher and the slightly prejudiced Olivia. But with great tension comes equally great passion and before she knows it, Olivia has found herself on the same path to happily ever after as the famed Elizabeth and Darcy.

DEAR MISS DARCY is a delight for Austen fans. Authors Laura Briggs and Sarah Burgess hooked me immediately with their spin on the PRIDE AND PREJUDICE tale; namely, that Lizzie and Darcy were real and they allowed Jane Austen to write their story. Mses. Briggs and Burgess filled DEAR MISS DARCY with references to PRIDE AND PREJUDICE along with Ms. Austen's other works. As a Janeite myself, I had a lot of fun playing "spot the nods to Austen" in DEAR MISS DARCY.

But enough about Jane Austen. As a contemporary romance, DEAR MISS DARCY is charming, though, at times, the plot gets a bit dragged out. In the very public battle between Olivia and Christopher, I felt like Olivia held almost all the power and began to feel sorry for the poor man. Olivia tended to get carried away when she was irritated with Christopher, which brought DEAR MISS DARCY down in a few spots. Still, on the whole, Olivia and Christopher had nice chemistry and I enjoyed watching them fall for one another.

The literary market is flooded with spinoffs, adaptations and sequels to Jane Austen's work, so it's difficult nowadays to pen one that feels fresh and new. With DEAR MISS DARCY, Mses. Burgess and Briggs have succeeded in creating a story that's original and entertaining and I finished Olivia and Christopher's story a well satisfied reader.

Lily
Review courtesy of Romance Junkies

3.0 out of 5 stars Could a Love Advice Columnist Help a Modern-Day Darcy?, October 11, 2012
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Austen-Inspired, Jane Austen Chick-Lit

MAJOR CHARACTERS: Olivia Darcy (a descendant of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam), Christopher Stanley, Mr. Collins

WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS:
- Austenland, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, Austentatious - I just cannot get enough of contemporary Austen-Inspired fiction. I like to call them "Jane Austen Chick-Lit" - accessible, fun, and light!
- Olivia Darcy is a descendant of Darcy and Elizabeth, how awesome is that!
- The idea of a love advice columnist being romantically challenged sounded very intriguing to me!

WHAT I LOVED:
- The References and Parallels: Besides the main character being a descendant of Elizabeth and Darcy, the romance between Olivia and her leading man echoes that of Elizabeth and Darcy as well. Olivia definitely has much in common with her ancestor and the man she lambastes in her column, Christopher Stanley, has many similarities with Mr. Darcy. While not a carbon-copy of the Elizabeth/Darcy relationship, Olivia and Christopher share some of their misunderstandings, prejudices, and obstinacies.
- The Premise: A modern-day Darcy feuding with a confident, yet perpetually single love advice columnist - what a clever and unique premise! I loved traveling into the world of newspapers, letters, public exposés, and anonymity! It was interesting to see how the characters' careers, reputations, and ancestry impacted the story.
- The Twist: Oh how I enjoyed the brooding and complex Christopher Stanley! And I loved the twist about his dating dilemmas (I would elaborate more on this, but I don't want to give anything away!) Suffice to say - I did not see the twist coming!

WHAT I WASN'T TOO FOND OF:
- Olivia Darcy: It wasn't that Olivia was unlikable...it was that she didn't do much to inspire my esteem, admiration, or support. She was feisty, obstinate, opinionated (just like Elizabeth)...but there weren't enough positive or endearing traits that made me love her like I do our dear Lizzie. In addition, I found the excerpts from her advice column to be a little underwhelming. Her advice was mostly good old common sense, nothing really profound. Moreover, the language or tone of her articles was often a little too stilted and old fashioned.
- The Presentation: (This might be because I have a proof-copy) I must admit that the font, images, and layout of this cover do not look very professional. The large pixels distort the image and much of the text on the cover is unreadable. Especially on the spine and back cover. On a positive note, I thought the Kindle cover to be much more in tone with the story, and from my computer screen, it looks like the layout ratio works much better.
- The Language: I had two small issues with the language in this book. One: it definitely felt more American than British (kinda odd when the story takes place in England and all the major characters were from England). I think there needed to be a little more usage of British colloquialisms and vernacular. I think the only character who consistently sounded British is Mr. Collins. Two: Olivia Darcy often spoke very formally, it seemed like she conversed and wrote in another time period sometimes. It also felt odd that she was often referred to as Miss Darcy instead of Olivia when the book takes place during modern-day.

CONCLUSION:
Despite my quibbles, I found myself absorbed and engaged throughout the course of this novel. I appreciated the subtle nods to Jane Austen and the unique angle of this story. I definitely felt Laura Briggs and Sarah Burgess had a terrific idea for this novel and that they got a lot of it right, just not enough to make it a home-run.

Austenesque Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, September 8, 2013
Renee Luedey (calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
Easy, cute read. Predictable but I picked it for that reason. Good read for a beach, or to help you relax etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet romance, August 16, 2013
This is a romance where the hero is more human than most, making him that much more endearing. And the heroine reminded me of me, hiding vulnerabilities which sometimes distances those we want closest.

I enjoyed this story and look forward to others written by this duo of authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed the book, July 11, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute story, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
This was a cute story, easy reading and a great choice if you love the whol Pride and Prejudice premise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miss Darcy is a little annoying!, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
For a woman who is supposed to be be strong and independent, she has very low opinions of herself. The frustrating development of the main relationship is the main reason I kept reading, they bounced off each other well. The characters are witty and intelligent, however, some of the dialogue seems a little far-fetched. Still, I'd recommend the book to anyone who loves a feisty love story.

2.0 out of 5 stars The verbal "sparring" went on & on & on..., April 15, 2012
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
This could have been a really good story, but neither main characters were likable, especially the female, who was vicious. Too much time was spent in cuthroat verbal sparring. I was waiting for a REALLY good reason for the guy to be such a jerk, but the reason we were given was pathetic. The reason should have mirrored the original story...like this: He was not the one doing the dating...it was the jerk who tried to "get it on" with his sister Georgiana...and was now going around dating girls under the other guys' name, dragging the good name through the mud...which the good guy didn't want to expose, lest it expose the situation regarding his sister and she be publically humiliated. That would have made him a martyr & a hero...taking all that crap just to save his sister's reputation...now that's the hero we're missing. Also missing is the necessary innocence of the main characters to allow us to enjoy the read...why throw crude thoughts in a decent read ? Ruins the romance

1.0 out of 5 stars No. Just no., September 2, 2014
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
Oh, I gutted my way through this one, feeling VERY stubbornly that I HAD to finish something I started. Life is too short. Lesson learned--this is the LAST book I'll waste my time on once I've decided that it's absolutely painful to read.

First, and most important: if one is going to retell (again? aren't there possibly enough modern retellings of Austen's books [I've read some fun ones, certainly!]), one should find a new, ALIVE way of doing so. Everyone KNOWS how the book will end, so getting there should be a fun, creative journey. From the book's description, I thought Briggs and Burgess might have created such a trip: what a clever idea, to have the protagonist be the direct descendent of Darcy and LIzzy! And it IS a clever idea, but the authors created characters who were FLAT, cardboard cutouts. I felt NO emotion toward them whatsoever, if "eyerolling" doesn't count as an emotion, and I don't think it does.

Second, the writing REALLY needed a copyeditor. When I started reading, I highlighted a few errors here and there. (To give just one example: It's "an expression of demure mystery," not "demur"--though I don't know how a mystery could be "demure," either!) I suspect that had the authors set this book in the United States, where they live (perhaps one of LIzzy's descendants moved abroad?), they wouldn't have tried so hard to use unfamiliar, stilted vocabulary and diction, and the resulting book would have been smoother.

I'd like to give a higher rating, just because I have respect for anyone who has the stamina and drive to write a novel, but I can't. I hope the authors continue to write, but I'll do myself (and them) a favor by not reading any more of their books. And I think I need a break from modern-day Austen worship.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, November 17, 2013
This review is from: Dear Miss Darcy (Kindle Edition)
This "novel" contains some of the worst grammar that I've ever encountered. The plot was acceptable if developed in an often confusing structure, but the grammar was so bad it detracted from any chance the book had at being good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›