4.0 out of 5 stars This Mom loves these books -- her tween does too
How many books portray moms AND tweens in a realistic enlightening way? Not many. In much of the juvenile fiction I've read, the parents are either stereotypical no-fun nags, or super-human, or not well-developed.

Published on December 3, 2009 by Jennifer Donovan

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good
I just have read the first book in the series and this one, and feel it is an interesting premise. I fully support all efforts to encourage kids to read, especially the classics. I think though that they didn't spend alot of time actually talking about the books and I think that would have been interesting, from adult/child POV, with the different time periods, etc. I...
Published on November 30, 2011 by susannah

4.0 out of 5 stars This Mom loves these books -- her tween does too, December 3, 2009
This review is from: Dear Pen Pal (The Mother-Daughter Book Club) (Hardcover)

The Mother-Daughter Bookclub series allows moms to see their daughters in a new light -- and vice-versa, I hope. I love that the moms are going through their own issues and struggles as well. For example, in DEAR PEN PAL, one mom is trying to become "A whole new me," and another mom is dealing with her disapproving mother looking over her shoulder since she's moved in for a time.

The tweens are really growing up. They are in 8th grade now, and Jess goes off to boarding school (but is still near-by).

The book they read is Daddy Long Legs, by Jean Webster, which parallels Jess's situation nicely. My daughter and I both read Daddy Long Legs and loved it. I thank Heather Vogel Frederick for introducing it to us. I think that this book focuses more on the girls than the book themes, and for that reason, you don't miss much if you aren't familiar with it. In fact, Frederick takes pains not to reveal the surprise ending of Daddy Long Legs so that if girls choose to read it after, it won't be spoiled.

Another fantastic addition to this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars another solid work about the Mother-Daughter bookclub, September 20, 2009
This review is from: Dear Pen Pal (The Mother-Daughter Book Club) (Hardcover)
Cassidy, Emma, Megan, and Jess are back, and going into 8th grade. The book club has some changes in store this year, and individual members struggle a bit with change. Becca is back, and much improved. There's a new "mean girl" involved with the group, a secret, a first kiss, and a long distance trip or two. The girls are reading "Daddy Long Legs" in this book, along with a sequel. The books are less intertwined with the overall plot, though there is a certain connection, it is far less intrinsic than in the previous "Club" books. This book doesn't seem as unique as the others in the series, as the scenes near the book's end are fairly predictable and wrap up a little too tidily. Still, it's a fun book and quite enjoyable for girls and moms alike. I am very much looking to what I assume will be a 4th and final book in the series, so there will be one for each of the four original book club members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!, October 3, 2009
BeachReader113 "DJ" (Westchester, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Pen Pal (The Mother-Daughter Book Club) (Hardcover)
I just love this series! Its a great Middle School book and a great one for both mother and daughter to enjoy together!. My daughter and I both read them and then discussd the book and the relationships. I love the first two books and this one too! I look forward more in this series, or at least from this writer!
Our favorite parts of the books is how they interweaved a classic book. The first book made us want to read Little Women as soon as we finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 2, 2014
Awesome book loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, June 19, 2014
this book was very good ;)
it definitely one I request
to kids and parents everywhere in the world today!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 15, 2014
It was a pretty good book although in a way I wish it had more drama and that kind of stuff :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Pen Pal(Mother daughter book club book 3), February 27, 2014
Dear Pen Pal, is in my opinion very good book. It is told by four different people, Megan ,Emma, Jess, and Cassidy. They all have their own issues. Megan’s is when her awesome fashionable grandmother comes to town she gets really close with her, which makes her mother feel bad because she not very fun. Cassidy's is her mom is pregnant and she is not ready. Emma's is the horrid uniform. Jess is when she gets a scholarship to a private school she has to deal with Savannah Sinclair, The snotty daughter of a senator in Washington. On top of it all they have to deal with writing letters to there pen pals. These issues make for some awesome pranks, cool victories and down right good times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, February 17, 2014
I thought the ending was very good and true it is just such a good book I will finish the rest by this summer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BBE!!!! (Best book EVER), January 28, 2014
This is an amazing book that I absolutely LOVED!!! Drama, romance, and fun seem to be stuffed into this book to make a TOTALLY epic book!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Addition to a Fun Series!, January 20, 2014
I think Heather Vogel Fredrick is a wonderful author for young children. DEAR PEN PAL helped me get to know each of the characters more, and find more interest in the series and the author.

The story has four main characters, Jess Delaney, Cassidy Sloan, Megan Wong, and Emma Hawthorne.

This year, the club is reading the book, DADDY LONG-LEGS, and have pen pals in Wyoming who are reading the same thing.

The story begins with Jess discovering something surprising. She was excepted into a boarding school! The school is in Concord, but Jess is still sad about not being able to see her friends, Emma, Megan, and Cassidy. Also, Jess has a snotty roommate named Savannah Sinclair, who makes her life miserable.

Emma is trying to spend more time with her writing to her pen pal, because her best friend Jess is away. She loves writing. So this is great for her because she can have a friend while doing something she loves to do. She also suffered a bad day, and much more.

Megan's grandmother Gigi comes for a visit. Megan loves Gigi but Gigi and Mrs. Wong don't get along. Megan and Gigi go through many fun times during the visit. Emma, Jess and Cassidy enjoy her as well.

Cassidy goes through many struggles in the book. She is getting used to her new stepfather Stanley. But Stanley and her mother make an announcement that gets Cassidy crabby and upset.

These four girls go through a lot. They are not the typical type of friends, but are a thread fit due to to the book club.
The MDBC is a great book for young girls about ten to fifteen.

The shipment was quick and the author, Heather Vogle Fredrick really cane relate to young girls especially two sons. Her son's, Ian and Ben, are amazing, as Heather puts it.

I love, love, love, this book!
GZ
Gymnastics zebra

Dear Pen Pal (The Mother-Daughter Book Club)
Dear Pen Pal (The Mother-Daughter Book Club) by Heather Vogel Frederick (Hardcover - September 22, 2009)
$16.99 $15.29