Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Dear God, that cover art is horrific

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2011 7:32:59 PM PDT
A. Thomas says:
What a photoshopped mess! I know the film's a bit underdeveloped, but that art looks like it belongs on a box of Lucky Charms or something; it's generic as all hell. The cover art for the Ultimate Edition DVD highlighted Darkness (the BEST thing about the film) and was much classier.

I don't understand these studio art departments. They change something for the sake of making a change, even if it's vastly inferior.

Posted on May 15, 2011 4:47:41 AM PDT
Well, what do you expect from a bunch of suits? They are desperately trying to make a dark and somber fairy-tale adventure appeal to today's childish money-spending "American Idol"&"High-School Musical" fanatic, short attention span, ritalin chewing crowd. They do this with BRIGHT EYE-CANDY IMAGES. I'm willing to bet you are closer to my age (you saw the movie in High School or shortly after with your friends the weekend it was released into theaters. Am I right? Of course I am). Will I be getting this edition? Probably not. I have Ridley Scotts boxed ULTIMATE edition of "Bladerunner", and it contains all 5 (YES!!! FIVE!!!!) versions of that film, each of which is unique and interesting in it's own way. I know there were versions pre-release of "LEGEND", and I want to see a version with David Bennents original German accent, NOT the dub. If they can do what they did in making the FINAL CUT of "Bladerunner", they can certainly put together a FINAL CUT of, "LEGEND" the way Ridley Scott wanted it to be. I'm sure the suit who screamed bloody murder about a, "NAZI ELF" is dead by now. To the death of all SUITS!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 9:08:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2011 9:09:17 AM PDT
A. Thomas says:
Actually, I'm the same age as the movie. :)

However, I know hideous art when I see it. The cover for "Conan the Barbarian" somehow managed to top this one in its awfulness; it almost looks like Arnie is modelling for a hair gel magazine ad.

Posted on May 26, 2011 4:03:52 AM PDT
Bartholomew says:
I agree! For bluray cases, why the heck is it so hard to put the original movie-poster art or at least what the dvds had??? And yes the one for Conan is a joke too!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:37:05 AM PDT
B says:
I agree, tired of having them change up the art to look like, well, not art. This cover is a mess!!

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 11:32:58 PM PDT
Oh god! You guys are right! This cover art does suck. It doesn't have the same fantasy feel as the other two cover arts of 2002 or 2005 (my favorite as it has more of a dark fantasy feel; plus I think 2005 is the US theatrical poster so it has that 80s vibe to it which I love.) Sadly, not much choice since I'm trying to move on to bluray.

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 6:37:26 AM PST
Agreed. The DVD dual-edition was simply striking, while this cover I want to strike with my pimp hand. It's like DVDs get all the cover love.

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 5:05:33 PM PDT
I have no idea why they put Jack at the forefront with Lily and Darkness flanking him in the classic pose for cover-art, its an insult, Legend is a whole realm above everything I have seen, and I have stacked it against The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, the animated Lord of the Rings from 1978, Willow, nothing comes close to Legend and they slap on a standard cover for it. the old ultimate edition dvd cover showed the mythology and magic; Darkness dominating the picture with the small bit of hope that is Jack and Lily about to be crushed in his hand as he looks down on them with amusement not fear but their love shines brightly in the darkness. the cover itself is poetic to the magic of the film, and I have said this dozens of times but they don't make this kind of quality anymore, if the did, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy would have been made much more different, and they would be trying to capture the Silmarillion on film.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  May 7, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about