Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on September 11, 2006
I have read several thrillers by Wendy Corsi Staub and found them all to be very exciting page-turners. In "Dearly Beloved", three women are lured to an old inn on a nearly deserted island in the off-season. The setting is very atmospheric, the characters are well-developed, and the plot is exciting. If you are a reader of thrillers, like me, you will probably really like this book. I especially appreciate that this is not a romance novel in disguise. There are no straining heaving bosoms or taught thighs in Wendy Corsi Staub's writing. Lisa Jackson's endorsement printed on the cover of the Staub books, "If you like Mary Higgins Clark, you'll love Wendy Corsi Staub" is more than accurate, I have found Mary Higgins Clark's books to contain truly horrible grammar, no atmosphere, and characters that are barely two-dimensional. Actually, Mary Higgins Clark's writing consists of plot only in her more recent books, so I would place Wendy Corsi Staub far ahead of Mary Higgins Clark as a suspense writer.
VINE VOICEon January 20, 2006
This saying could never be more truthful than in this book. Sandy, Liza, and Jennie (pretending to be her twin sister) are all about to make a journey in which not all of them will survive. The past is about to come back to haunt them in the form of a man who has been a part of each of their lives.

Ms Staub has written a good solid thriller, it's not really a mystery because fairly early on she reveals who this stranger is. The intrigue of this book is the unfolding of the story and learning how each woman made an impact on this man's life and how he reacts to that impact. The characters are fun, real, and engaging. If there is a moral to this story, it's be careful how you treat others, you may not live to regret it.
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2003
I've read all of Staub's books, and I found I actually liked this one more than I thought. Although the "girls stranded on an island with killer" is a familiar one, she manages to give suspense even when you think you know what's coming. Great characters and she spares no one!
on February 11, 2002
I had to search high and low to even find this book but was glad it was at least worth it! It is a good quick read about three young ladies who, under different circumstances, get lured to a small inn on an island in Massachusetts. They have all been targeted by a sicko who is out for revenge. Things are made worse when there is a big storm and the girls are stuck on the island for the weekend. It is creepy and entertaining like most of Ms. Staub's novels. It is very much like a Carlene Thompson novel. Worth a read but not earth shattering.
on March 3, 2005
This book makes you really sit back and think how you treat someone! That is what it is all about, getting revenge on three unsuspecting women who have crossed paths with a truely crazy guy! I have read all Staub's book, except for All the way home, which I plan on purchasing very soon. Staub has become one of my favorite authors. She writes her books in present tense, which was different, but now I wish more authors wrote that way. It really makes the book much more suspenseful and heart pounding. I do have to say, this was not Ms. Staub's best but still quite worth your time. The plot I felt was truely unique. I felt for some of the characters so much that I was mourning them when something bad happened (I am trying to be vaque, so I do not ruin your experience) and that has got to be a good sign in a book. If you haven't given this author a try, I strongly suggest you do.
on October 23, 2013
The mass market mystery/crime/suspense genre has never really satisfied my personal and professional literary tastes, and my previous opinion of the author was that she was a decent writer with fairly mediocre ideas. However, this book really impressed me. Wendy Corsi Staub is, without doubt, a good writer--she probably won't be winning a Pulitzer, but she's pretty darn good. Her writing flows effortlessly, with easy style and engaging prose. The story is well crafted and well organized. The construction took some planning, and the effort really pays off. The characters have depth and interest, and they develop nicely as the plot progresses.

The premise is fairly par for the course for mass market stuff, but the execution is solid. I don't love everything about this book--there are some character issues, quite a few cliches, some holes, and a few errors throughout--but overall I was impressed. The plot falters in a few places, but then again it's hard to think of a novel that doesn't have that problem on some level. There are a few instances where she calls a character by the wrong name or contradicts herself. There's also one instance where a woman who was date-raped makes the statement that she "got what she deserved" because she was promiscuous, which is definitely not okay with me. Victim-blaming for rape is completely unacceptable, and I'm honestly surprised to see it in a novel written by a woman. No one deserves rape or is "asking for it." The cause of rape is rapists. End of list. Considering the majority of this book's audience is female and statistically at least some of them are rape victims (who do not deserve to be shamed for a trauma perpetrated on them by someone else), this is in very poor taste.

I would really like to see this author branch out and do some alternative-style literary fiction or atmospheric genre work. Something outside of the mass market niche she's in now. I think her work would really shine if she would take some risks and let her personal style grow and take the lead. If she would even just go a little deeper in her current work, it would make a big difference and really set her apart from the masses of other authors overwhelming this genre and saturating the market with similar stuff.

Overall, the book is not perfect and I'd like to see Wendy taking some risks and pushing the envelope at times, but it's very good for what it is. Hopefully the author will consider branching out in the future and expanding the scope of her work. If she does, she'll be someone to keep an eye on in any genre in which she chooses to publish.
on March 27, 2014
The story line and setting were very different; it was difficult to "see what was coming" at first; it built suspense. The characters were varied, interesting and well-developed. It kept me one the edge of my seat and unable to put the kindle down!!! I do wish the violence had been "toned" down somewhat but otherwise highly recommend this book if you like suspense and thrillers.
on March 5, 2004
Three girls travel to the Bramble Rose Inn in Tides Island, a remote vacation island off the coast of New England. Each are asked to attend a different function in order for the killer to
get them there.
Once they are there the killer calls each of them away from the inn and tries to marry them, ( only in his mind of course) A storm bears down on the island and makes it impossible to leave.
The characters are well defined and are very likeable. Except for the killer and his demented ways about himself. The inn keeper who is the killer's friend, is also portrayed as alittle strange and wierd.
The book was good, and catavated you right away.
on August 22, 2013
A dark villain, an individual lure for each intended victim, and the requisite storm to strand them at his mercy. An aside twist that puts it all together.... and finally, the dashing hero who risks it all to arrive in time for the final rescue. A bit predictable but well-developed. A good escape for those who enjoy the thrill and suspense of the chase.
on March 27, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. This author always does a good job to keep you in suspense and lets you know the main characters pretty well. It was a bit gory but not overdone for this story. I have always enjoyed Wendy Corsi Staub's books and this one held my interest from beginning to end. I will continue to read her books and am pretty sure I will enjoy them all. As a dedicated reader of mysteries and suspense stories I want to get to know the main characters and some of their history which was nicely done in this book.