4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised
Published on May 9, 2011 by LZ1111

2.0 out of 5 stars Writing is Too Sensationalist and Manipulative
Published on August 21, 2011 by Jen Rothmeyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, May 9, 2011
I was skeptical of this book to begin with. Like a lot of supporters of free trade, I'd been focused on the benefits of our China relation and I wasn't moved at first when Navarro and Autry trotted out all the usual arguments about human rights abuses - although some of the details are simply horrifying and they do cite their sources. However, by the end of the read I was taken aback by the breadth and depth of what can only be called a "conspiracy." Rather than covering any one subject - trade abuses, militarization, environmental destruction - too deeply the author's make their point forcefully and quickly and then move on. This approach leaves the reader's mind clear enough to see that all of these seemingly disconnected things are LINKED. They are connected pieces in a strategic plan that delivers ever greater wealth and power to small group of men in Beijing and Shanghai at God knows what cost to China, America and the rest of humanity. Death by China delivers a relentless and well deserved beating to China's corrupt leaders.

2.0 out of 5 stars Writing is Too Sensationalist and Manipulative, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Death by China: Confronting the Dragon - A Global Call to Action (Hardcover)
First, while I am glad that I read this book and will be following up with the various citations it made to explore more onto the issue, I find fault often with the language. I realize that it is a "call to action," but I don't generally approve of sensationalist or manipulative language. As an example, on page 34 when discussing the corrosive drywall that had a huge negative impact on the homes being rebuilt in wake of the disastrous hurricanes and flooding, the authors state the following, "As a middle-finger salute to this whole shoddy process, the corrosive drywall was then mixed and shipped to the United States without proper oversight or testing." As a middle-finger salute? I find myself questioning if that was necessary or if it actually detracts from the point being made. It certainly turned me off.

Second, there are a lot of issues being raised in this book. At times it was a little confusing to follow what their point was. There are no footnote/endnote numbers in the actual text itself, so as you are reading you have no idea if the statement is made up or supported by something. There is a section on endnotes in the back of the book, but you have to look them up by page and by phrase, which seems to somewhat hinder the ability to look up and research the original source documents. It's all there, but, again, as you are reading you don't have the ability to see if a specific phrase is actually supported by something without constantly flipping back and forth to the back to check every single phrase.

Third, the book did not seem to be equally critical. I'm not saying that everyone should run around criticizing everyone, but I think using critical thinking across the board is an admirable quality when discussing issues. On the Facts And Details website ([...]) there is the following quote: "China's three great rivers--the Yangtze, Pearl and Yellow River--are so filthy that it is dangerous to swim or eat fish caught in them. Parts of the Pearl River in Guangzhou are so thick, dark and soupy it looks like one could walk across it."

On page 176 of Death by China: "America's three great rivers-the Colorado, Mississippi, and Ohio-are so filthy that it is dangerous to swim or eat fish caught in them. Parts of the Ohio River in Pittsburgh are so thick, dark, and soupy it looks like one could walk across it. -FactsandDetails.com

You don't have to be a card-carrying member of the Sierra Club to know this quotation is phony. But once you replace "America" with "China," substitute the "Yangtze, Pearl, and Yellow" rivers of the "Colorado, Mississippi, and Ohio," and swap "Guangzhou" for "Pittsburgh," the environmental picture painted by the website FactsandDetails.com is all too real." - Death by China"
If this is a phony inaccurate quote, why is it quoted as if it is legit? Sure, the authors state that it is phony in the paragraph following where they quoted it, but why was that necessary? Also, there are pollution problems in the United States and I don't believe this section is using critical thinking and analysis equally.

On page 178, the authors write that millions of citizens live at the mouth of the river in Shanghai, but no one dares to bathe or swim in the waters. Several times throughout this section there are references to American bodies of water, but the authors don't mention that it is illegal to swim in the Potomac in Washington D.C. 364 days per year? It is my understanding that this is largely because of the level of feces and other contaminants (although my cursory search doesn't find that as the official reason so please don't treat that as fact and I may very well be wrong - I'd love to know if I am).

Overall, I find that while I appreciate the book and it's compilation of topics and sources, I don't find it a very reliable source of fact. The language can also be confusing in some places and a little more factual explanation could have been provided on some of the topics. It does require a significant amount of time to read in order to digest all the information and check the sources (there is nothing wrong with this). It is an interesting opinion piece and I look forward to looking into the sources it quotes and continuing to research the topic. Despite my criticisms of the nature of the language and content, I hope the authors are appeased that I do intend to look more into the issue. Their point was made and their call to action will be followed on my part by more research. That, I think, is ultimately their end goal and therefore they can count this as a success.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received Death by China by Peter Navarro and Greg Autry free from Prentice Hall/Pearson through the FSB Media review program. I was not required to write a positive review and did not receive any other compensation. The opinions I have expressed are my own and no one else's. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1.0 out of 5 stars Sensationalism run amok, April 26, 2012
Craig Wood (Menlo Park, CA) - See all my reviews
"Death by China" is an outstanding topic for a book. The authors discuss the growth of China as a political, economic and military power, citing numerous first-hand and third-party sources to argue that China's growth is coming at a great cost to the rest of the world. The citations and data are all carefully footnoted. To put it mildly, there is ample evidence to back the authors' views.

But I share the same problem with this book that so many others have already mentioned. That is, the book is written in such a sensationalist style that I believe it actually does a disservice to the very important message that this "Global Call to Action" is trying to share. You literally can't read a single page without coming across childish language, underhanded digs or gratuitous exclamation points. It feels a bit like an immature eighth-grader, with promising talent, buried himself in this topic for a year and produced this mess. The data and arguments are compelling, you just wish that they could have been conveyed with greater maturity and levelheadedness.

To be fair, I learned a great deal from reading "Death by China" and it's certainly opened my eyes to that country's behavior within the global community. But at my ripe old age, I really had hoped that the authors could have summoned a bit more professionalism while sharing their very compelling arguments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Planned Financial Invasion, May 7, 2011
We are losing America a dime at a time!! It's time to admit the free trade policies that are destroying America are not just a accidental Oops. This is a planned financial invasion to steal the wealth of this country.
While every Religious Radio Station professes the threat of the Muslim invasion of America. China continues its financial invasion using our Wal-Mart Stores and our governors and Chambers of Commerce invite China into invest in our heartland.
Death by China should be required reading for every American.

5.0 out of 5 stars American corporations made China powerful, April 2, 2012
I try to buy American whenever possible, but it's almost impossible because American corporations manufacture almost everything in China. I blame American corporations first, China second. We put ourselves in this situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up America, May 23, 2011
Death by China, is a fascinating and somewhat terrifyingly look into how China has become the 800 LBS economic and military gorilla on the worldwide stage. America needs to understand what the long term ramifications are to our economy and national defense initiatives if China continues to go unchecked and unchallenged by the United States government. Fortunately, Death by China answers some of these hard questions and more on how to deal with China today before they turn the Good Ole USA into a third world country..

5.0 out of 5 stars An important message, May 5, 2011
Autry and Navarro peel back the curtain on China's corrupt policies, both domestically and internationally. Death by China awakens us to the brutal facts of how China's government maintains ultimate control over the economic and social lives of Chinese subjects. It is a wake up call for not only our government's policies in response to China's continued aggression, but also a reminder that we can act as individuals to avoid supporting China's anti-freedom policies.

5.0 out of 5 stars America, Don't Say You Weren't Warned, May 6, 2011
Ian Fletcher (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
While reading this book, I was reminded of the few brave souls who warned the world about the perils of Nazism, Communism, and Islamic fundamentalism long before everyone else caught on. They were ignored, and the world paid the price. We have no excuse for making this mistake yet again. As the authors persuasively document without hysteria or prejudice, Beijing is well on its way to becoming the most dangerous government on earth. It is dangerous to its own people who suffer under its dictatorship, to its immediate neighbors, and to the United States. What's worse are the profit-driven lies of a corporate America (and the media it controls and the politicians it owns) eager to Beijing's bidding and whitewash the threat. (I wrote about why free trade with China is a bad idea in my own book, here: Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why, 2011 Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Death by China Inc., June 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Death by China by Peter Navarro and Greg Autry was a very quick read though impact and frightening about the many ways China kills and is killing people both domestically and abroad. The analysis begins with the conventional coverage of the various food recalls that have killed or injured spates of people and pets not just in the United States, but in Japan and in China itself. Then it moves into China's weapons of job destruction through technology transfers, downright technology theft and unfair currency devaluation. He tells an equally distressing tale about the corporate America that has allowed all these jobs to be shifted overseas thanks to a money first green-backs culture that is destroying America.

The second part of the book is dedicated to discussing China's so called peaceful rise and their quest to dominate the resources of outer space and those on Earth and presents a frightening though plausible scenario for how China could use this power to pursue a new round of colonial domination throughout Asia, Africa, and Latin America and push back America. The later half of the book is dedicated more to what I was expecting a scathing indictment of what the leaders in China do to their own people, all the while, we expect them to play by the rules of free trade. In the concluding chapter, the authors take the China apologists in all their forms to task for their lack of basic common sense and then sends a very pointed and direct message to the asleep at the wheel politicians throughout the West, but particularly Washington D.C. that America is being swallowed by the Dragon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Book for Anyone Interested in China, May 9, 2011
I highly recommend reading this book if you are interested in the myriad ways that the Chinese government is harming you and your family. Death by China catalogs the various abuses committed by the Chinese government in shocking detail. This book shows that China is harming people around the globe through its military policy, economic policy, social policy, and environmental policy. This book is quite extensive. Even if you do not agree with all of the arguments made in the book, you cannot help but be persuaded that the Chinese government does harm to people around the world.

In addition, the book is well written and is easy to understand. The authors provide citations for all of their claims, some of which are almost unbelievable. Finally, it is clear that the authors care about the citizens of China. The book distinguishes between the vast majority of Chinese citizens and the select few who enact dangerous policies.

Death by China: Confronting the Dragon - A Global Call to Action
Death by China: Confronting the Dragon - A Global Call to Action by Peter Navarro (Hardcover - May 15, 2011)
$25.99 $19.61