Death Clutch: My Story of Determination, Domination, and Survival
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.22 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Brock Lesnar tends to be a polarizing figure in MMA. Some people love him; others hate him. Very few are neutral. Some think he is a superb MMA practitioner. Haters dismiss him as a gorilla who simply takes people down, lacks submission skills and who tries to "lay and pray" his way to a win. (His arm triangle submission of Shane Carwin undermines that argument.) Some could care less that his earlier career was in pro rasslin'; others think it cheapens and demeans the sport of MMA.

Like him or hate him, it is indisputable that he is the UFC's cash cow. Nobody packs the gate or gooses up PPV buys like a fight featuring Brock. For all of his publicity, though, it has not been easy getting behind the façade of Brock Lesnar the Fighter. He shuns the limelight and seems content in the sticks of Alexandria, MN. You will not find him soaking up the nightlife in Las Vegas or dancing at the after-party. It was considered a coup for Dana White and Zuffa when they recently succeeded in getting Lesnar to agree to appear as one of the coaches on the latest season of the Spike TV reality show, "The Ultimate Fighter." If the show's producers thought there might be fireworks between Lesnar and Dos Santos, what they got instead was "the bland leading the bland."

Joining the growing shelves of first-person MMA memoirs is the putative autobiography of Brock Lesnar, DEATH CLUTCH.
What does DEATH CLUTCH tell us about Brock that we didn't already know?

He is a simple farm boy, raised on a farm with solid Midwest values of hard work. His parents made great sacrifices to allow him to participate and excel in wrestling. He wasn't coddled when he lost, but was urged to work harder and to "get back on the horse."

Lesnar is not enamored with glitz and glitter. He shuns the limelight in some ways, resenting the intrusion of the media into what he considers to be his private life. He is dedicated to his wife and kids, though he tells us little about them. He mentions his wife Rena, never using her persona name "Sable," but offers no back-story on how they originally met.

Impulsiveness has at times plagued Lesnar. When exiting the WWE, he was so eager to leave pro wrestling that he signed an agreement before his lawyers could review and revise it. In signing, he agreed to a non-compete clause that constrained him from earning a living. After defeating Frank Mir at UFC 100, he was so amped by his victory, he flipped off booing fans, taunted Mir to his pulverized/hamburger-ized face and dissed the corporate beer sponsors who helped make Lesnar's financial winnings possible.

Bad moves.

One irony is that, on the Amazon site to this book, Lesnar has a two-minute video portraying this book as a "tell all." Let me tell you, it does NOT "tell all." For example, one rumor that has followed Lesnar for years has been the suspicion of PED's or "juice."
This book would have been the perfect forum for dispelling with or addressing such rumors. He ignores it.

Lesnar comes across as headstrong and, if you don't like him, he could really give a #$%$. Otherwise, Lesnar here plays things very close to the vest and does NOT "tell all." Which is perfectly fine, EXCEPT when you start to shill the book as a "tell all."

No one will mistake Brock Lesnar for William Shakespeare. He joins the ranks of such literary luminaries as Matt Hughes, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Jens Pulver and Brian Stann. In surveying the books by MMA fighters, we need not set the literary bar too high.

Whether you like or loath Brock Lesnar, if you are an MMA fan, you will likely find this book interesting. One plus: it is a quick read.

Another contradiction is this. On the book cover, Lesnar says "This one time ... you are invited to join me in my private world for a few hours. Just don't expect another invitation." Yet, on his Amazon.com promo video, he hints at a sequel.

Odd.

As DEATH CLUTCH comes to print, the Brock Lesnar story is clouded. His planned UFC 131 fight against Junior Dos Santos was off due to a recurrence of diverticulitis. Another round of colon surgery followed. Will Lesnar fight again? If so, can he regain his old form? Can he recover to challenge Dos Santos? Can he ever win his heavyweight belt back from Cain Velasquez? Certainly Dana White and the UFC prays he will return. He is their cash cow. No one fills seats or pulls in PPV buys like Lesnar.

Popeye was famous for saying, I am what I am."

That's a good way to describe Brock Lesnar too.
on January 4, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Brock Lesnar has long divided people, especially when he joined the UFC after only one fight and was given a title shot after only two UFC fights. Die hard MMA fans hated him for this and WWE fans despised him for leaving the company after only two years. However one thing most people can agree on is that he is a must watch as is backed up by the Pay-Per-View numbers UFC do whenever he fights. So now with his Autobiography is he a must read? The answer is yes in parts. It's just a pity he has skimmed over so much of his career.

The book is split in to three parts, the first part covering his life growing up and beginning wrestling at a young age and how is Mother was his biggest critic. It documents his rise to becoming the NCAA Division I Wrestling Champion. Which of course leads him to meeting Marty Morgan, who is now the head trainer at Brock's Death Clutch gym. Part Two covers his time with the WWE, he has a few good stories to tell but I'm sure he could have included a lot more, It has a chapter on the late Curt Henning(Mr Perfect) that is barely one page long! He gives a short story on meeting Future wife Rena "Sable" Mero while with the company and his reasons for wanting to get out of the company. Part Three covers his battle with the WWE lawyers and their no compete clause as well as trying out for the NFL and eventually making his way to the UFC.

Of course Frank Mir is probably number one enemy in the book(just ahead of Vince McMahon) and he does cover their rivalry leading into UFC 100 very well, as well as the famous aftermath and what Dana had to say to him, he covers his battle with Diverticulitis and how he thought he was going to die. The book finishes with Brock talking about him coaching on The Ultimate fighter season 13 against Junior dos Santos. However as we now know Brock was again struck down by Diverticulitis and would have to have 12 inches of his colon removed, he would retire after a loss to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141.

It's a pity Brock couldn't go in to more detail about his life such as the arrest for receiving what were thought to be Steroids but were instead found to be a legal growth hormone. This would have been has chance to give his side of the story, but as he say's himself he is a very private person and doesn't have a lot of time for the media. So what we get is 200 pages that is way too short.
on November 3, 2011
Format: Hardcover
I actually bought the audible.com audio version and I listened to it during long car drives, and a couple times on my way to the gym for some motivation.

The good about the book? It sounds exactly like Brock, as if it was him talking to you. No large amount of eloquence here, which makes for a good listen. You get Brock Lesnar, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good? Well, this person is a prime example of what a competitive mindset and gritty determination can do to a man. Wrestle in college? Why not work to become NCAA Champion? Be a pro wrestler? Why not have such a strong personality that you work your way to the top of your industry? Become an MMA fighter? Why not become UFC Champion? Have a life threatening disease? Why not beat the crap out of it and rebuild yourself, block by block, until you're better than ever?

The bad? Well, the man has a HUGE ego, and that's not something someone with his achievements is immune to. Other athletes of his caliber either have no ego, or know how to keep it in check (ie. Randy Couture). Also, he shows how much he's grown to be a businessman. What does Brock Lesnar sell? Brock Lesnar, plain and simple, and he sells Brock Lesnar for top dollar, EVERY TIME.

The ugly? Well, more like the missing. You get blow by blow the legal battles with WWE and in detail his battle with diverticulitis, and his UFC fights. What you hardly get any of is his experience as a pro wrestler for WWE. According to him, he was so high of painkillers and so drunk with vodka that most of the experience was a blur to him. It seems that every sober moment of his life is written here in full detail, but that only means his not-so-sober moments come off as cliff-notes.

So all in all, not a bad book, and it does shed some light on a very private athlete.
on August 14, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
To begin w/, let me preface this that I am a Brock fan. Still, I came in w/ an open mind about the whole book.

It was an easy read. I liked that chapters were short. It allowed me to read a chapter or so during porcelain god sessions w/o having to leave in between chapters. So the book went by pretty fast.

That same reason is why I gave the book a 4 instead of 5. I felt that the chapters were actually kind of too short and lacked a lot of details. I felt I wanted more in some of the chapters and left out some details.

Overall, I thought it was a good book. I really didn't really learn too much more of Brock from it.

I didn't know he tried to come back from WWE and they didn't want him. Aside from that, nothing really deep down and secret that I'd want in an autobiography came out.

He does blast a few people in the book. But I look at it as his words and feelings. So I take it. Why not?

If you're a Brock fan, I think it's a good buy. If you're a Brock hater, it's a good buy too. You might hate him more or less. It depends.
on August 4, 2011
Format: Hardcover
I was a big fan of Brock's in he early WWE days... before he started talking into the microphone. He's obviously very competitive, but I think he crosses that line into conceit - and has quite a bit of it. But having said that, I think the book is well-written and I enjoyed reading about his adventures in college, WWE, NFL and UFC.
on July 7, 2011
Format: Hardcover
I discovered the no-holds-barred thrills of watching UFC a few years back, and one of the things I loved about the sport was the lack of corruption, drug-testing issues, and disrespect between athletes that so epitomize WWE and many boxing federations. Like many others, I worried that Brock Lesnar's entry into the UFC camp would undermine the very things I love about the sport.

Lesnar quickly proved himself a hard-working, tough, talented athlete. He proved he deserved a shot in this sport, and I tip my hat to him for that. In the book, he describes his journey from childhood to WWE, and his desire to then get into a sport where the challenges would be legitimate and the competition real. He got that in the UFC. But the same night I convinced some of my relatives to watch UFC for the first time ever, bragging about the respect of the sport, Lesnar beat Mir's butt and then made a complete fool of himself by ranting in the middle of the Octagon and flipping off the crowd--a rant I haven't seen ever again played in its entirety. That's a good thing, but many of us who saw haven't forgotten how he pulled down the entire sport a notch that night. Lesnar then beat Mir again, and makes a point in his book that Mir will "never be half the man I am." While I'm not a Mir fan by any means, I have to say it took a real man to be willing to go back into the Octagon and take a chance at getting another severe beating--which is exactly what happened to Mir.

Lesnar goes into more detail about his later physical difficulties, his fight and respect for Randy Couture, and his hard-fought win over Carwin, in which Lesnar proved he had a lot of heart and will, and his desire to dominate his division for years to come. Nevertheless, he proves that his own version of being a man has more to do with physical domination and name-calling than in actual classy behavior toward his opponents. I had hoped he learned a little humility by getting his own face beat up by Cain Valesquez, but the book reveals his true colors and shows that any cleaned-up behavior was only Lesnar's kissing up to the media to save his own reputation and future in the UFC. In addition, Lesnar gives lots of pages for his victories, but turns the Cain fight into a virtual footnote at the end of the book.

I came to this well-written and honest book hoping to bolster my respect for this maligned athlete, and instead it convinced me that he truly is the classless fool he first showed himself to be when winning his title over Mir. That night, my relatives walked away and said they'd never watch UFC again. I will. But I will never cheer for Lesnar again, knowing now how hollow his respect and humility are.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2014
Format: Paperback
As I read this book Brock is back in the WWE as their Heavyweight Champion and defeated the Undertaker's streak at Wrestlemania. I loved this book so many stories people focus on their childhood blah blah blah... Brock knew why people bought this book they bought it to read about him and he touched on his childhood briefly and got straight to the point which I loved. He talks about the good and the bad of WWE and Vince McMahon and his decisions bad and good. He also talks about his time in the UFC and it pretty much leaves off sometime after his loss to Cain Velasquez and in the end hinted to a possible return to pro wrestling how funny. I think that this book was a good easy read it was almost like you were sitting down having a beer with Brock while he is telling you his life story hope there is a part 2 someday have a whole new respect for Brock Lesnar and know why he is not appearing on WWE as often as people would like him to be.
on June 29, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I'm not particularly a 'fan' of Brock Lesnar, at least I wasn't before I read his book. Death Clutch gives the reader an insight into the trials and tribulations of a very talented, driven and imperfect youth who develops into a man who learns mostly by instinct and also by making mistakes. I gave the book to my wife to read after I'd finished it so she can see how an energetic, testosterone driven youth makes decisions early in life so she can have a better understanding of how our own boy(s) will develop as they go through the same years in life and are partaking in similar sporting activities. Lesnar also has a strong bond with family values, somewhich which appealed to me personally. A formidable opponent in any arena, not a bad author too!
on October 1, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I thought the book was pretty good, I'm a fan of Brock. My only complaint is that it's too short and he has no really good dirt stories. He has maybe 1 good one but he says in the book he really does not remember his WWF days which is strange. He also does not talk about Sable suing WWF. I will say though if I read the book before his return then I would of definitely knew that he was going back to the WWE, and I do know now that he did definitely take a fake fall in the Overeem fight just to go back to WWE. He says time after time in the book he is a business man and he will do whatever it takes to make more money for his family.
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Brock calls himself the Badest man on the plant. After this book he should call himself the shyest man on the planet. I didn't hate this book and i didn't love it. This wasn't the TELL ALL BOOK that i was dying to read when i first heard of this book. Brock tells you enough without telling you anything. He doesn't tell you any stories with his time in the WWE because he claims he doesn't remember anything. So if you were looking forward to reading some stories from his days from the WWE you wont get none. U will get some insight about the UFC which is the only reason i gave it 3 stars.