5.0 out of 5 stars "Amazing Grace Has Done It Again !"
Published on August 14, 2010 by Tom

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money
Published on September 17, 2010 by kathy

5.0 out of 5 stars "Amazing Grace Has Done It Again !", August 14, 2010
Tom (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
Another magnificent effort by Nancy Grace! This book is a quick read because it is a genuine "page turner." An intricate plot beautifully woven together by a skilled writer with an intimate knowledge of the legal process makes this the adventure book of the summer. There may be a "D-List" for writers as well as showbiz people but Ms Grace is not on it--she gets an A+ for this solid effort, and moves to the front of the class of mystery writers !

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, September 17, 2010
I'm about halfway through this book and probably will not finish it. It is a thinly disguised self promoting tool posing as a novel. I realize that TV personalities need to be out there all the time but enough is enough. The self promotion is everywhere, from the bragging about the 100 cases won (no mention of the amazing number that were reversed) to how she "lights up the screen", raises ratings, etc., etc. I could over look the self promotion if the book were any good but it is not, the plot and characterization are poorly done, the dialogue is mundane and it is a boring rehash of something that has already been done a hundred times. I cannot recommend this book to anyone.

I am just grateful I got my copy from the library so I am not out any money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A TENSION FILLED THRILLER DRAWN FROM REAL LIFE, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
It is so satisfying to read books by authors who really know their subjects, and Nancy Grace tops that list. She was a prosecutor of perpetrators of violent crime in inner city Atlanta for over ten years. And, while doing so she racked up a perfect record - almost 100 prosecutions and no trial losses. She later became a part of Court TV. Today she's eagerly watched on theHLN show Nancy Grace and the syndicated program Swift Justice with Nancy Grace. On top of all that she pens first-rate thrillers such as Objection!, The Eleventh Victim (the first Hailey Dean mystery) and now DEATH ON THE D-LIST.

With stories based on her life experiences each novel compels with reality and crackles with excitement from page 1 to the closing paragraph. DEATH ON THE D-LIST begins with Hailey's return to NYC and a feeling that it is as if she had never left - feels the same as before, "Before two of her favorite clients were murdered at the hands of a man who was once her courtroom adversary, a man who not only passed as an upstanding and highly successful member of the Georgia State Bar, but before that, as an Atlanta beat cop...."

With those thoughts in mind Hailey is looking forward to building a quiet, normal life - as quiet as it can be for a therapist. Nonetheless, before long the urge to fight crime takes over and she agrees to do it not on dark streets but in front of a television camera.

However, TV appearances turn deadly when former stars trying to get off the dreaded D-List and back in the limelight are murdered. It's up to NYPD cop EthanKolker to solve these murders, and he wants Hailey's help. Forget the fact that Kolker once hunted Hailey for killing her own patients. He's been trying to make amends with flowers, chocolates - all of which she returned. But nothing gets Hailey's attention like unsolved murders.

With DEATH ON THE D-LIST Nancy Grace has crafted a carefully plotted thriller that captures until the final page.

- Gail Cooke

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for reasonably smart people, February 21, 2011
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
I was very disappointed in this book, even though my expectations were not that high. The characters (of which there were too many) were a weak compilation of stereotypes, and their actions were entirely predictable. I was especially annoyed by Hailey's "insights", which were painfully obvious. But then again, I saw Nancy Grace interview Elizabeth Smart, and I have to admit that it's possible that my contempt for the author bled through a little!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but uneven, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
My spare time is very limited, so when I get an opportunity to curl up with a book, I'd like for it to be a really good one. "Death on the D-List" does not quite measure up. There were some very interesting backstories which after being built up into prominence, wound up being irrelevant. Some juicy tangents led nowhere. There were so many characters that it became a challenge to keep up with them all and most were portrayed as shallow with few redeeming qualities, so why should we care what happens to them? There were not many truly likeable characters in the novel. Some of the plot twists were unexpected and creative and Ms. Grace uses the backdrop of NYC to full advantage. I enjoyed the references to places I regularly go and her descriptions of places that I can only fantasize about. Overall, I'm not sorry I read it, but with all her knowledge and savvy, perhaps I just expected more. Each of us puts ourselves out there when we write, I know Native Intelligence. We take the chance that what we create in our minds will be as interesting to others. Thankfully, each effort will find some fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars The "D" list would be a step up for this book., September 1, 2010
EastCoastGal (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
The only good thing about this book is that part of the proceeds is going to charity. It was painful trying to read this - the prose is simplistic and mind-numbing. I regularly watch Nancy Grace on TV so I wanted to like the book. I'll be selling my copy - in mint condition!

1.0 out of 5 stars In the top 10...of the worst books I've ever read, October 20, 2013
Every now and then, you find a book that's so awful you can't believe it. "Death on the D List" is just such a book.

I guess the publisher figured the author's fame would carry it, because there is no other reason to justify killing trees to print this mess.

It isn't just that the writing style is terrible (though it is). Or that all the characters are repellent (except for the author's angelic alter-ego, of course). Or that the plot is ridiculous (which can be taken for granted in something this wretched), or even that the book functions as an advertisement for her cable TV show (though that is pretty mercenary). The entire package is just one nasty, boring, unreadable disaster; a textbook example of how not to write.

Just one quick example, from page 149: "Even though traditional Catholics frowned on sorcery, and the Vatican was firmly against it, Aunt Matilde was forever cooking up some foul stench on the stove in order to heal the sick, bring home a loved one, or seek Christian vengeance on an enemy." Aside from the truly amateurish run-on sentence structure, does she really think the world needs Nancy Grace to point out that Catholics frown on sorcery? Or imply that the Vatican is somehow not a center of "traditional Catholics"? Or that there even is such a thing as "Christian vengeance"?

Plus, this book makes me wonder about the author's state of mind. She gives the impression that everybody in the world is a complete jerk/loser--except her. And if that's the case, I feel sorry for her. But not sorry enough to keep me from saying that I hope she never writes another book. Yeesh.

If you feel you need to read something, pick up a user guide to a commercial air compressor. I'm sure you'll find it much more interesting than this thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrghhh!, September 25, 2010
The sample got me to buy. Trust me it`s the best part. I skimmed till the end and that too was a disappointment. I will NEVER buy anything she writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace, Amazing Book!, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
Another mystery: how in the world does Nancy have time to write a novel? Between her twins, her family, her passion for justice, her top-rated show on HLN, her new, upcoming show this fall "Swift Justice" (so excited!!!) I don't know how she has time to write another novel. And a brilliant one! "Death on the D-List" has all the elements of a crime novel everyone wants... as especially is true with her development of the main character Hailey Dean. Dean is interesting and complex - and she creates empathy... we (as readers) trust her, root for her, believe in her throughout the novel. The supporting cast is tremendous as well- the perfect balance between villains and heroes. The plot is surprising and twisting and takes you for a ride!

Thank you Nancy for all your hard work --- on and off the air. You continue to inspire and amaze - can't wait for your third novel! Oh- and thanks to your hard working staff for making your show the only one I watch on TV!

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT SURE THAT I CARE WHAT HAPPENS, November 8, 2010
This review is from: Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) (Hardcover)
Book 2 in the Hailey Dean Mystery series. Not sure that I will continue reading these Hailey Dean books. Very slow moving tale. Hailey Dean has been asked to appear as a legal eagle on a dying TV talk show. The occasion is the murder of a D-List celebrity in a pool house of a famous star. Along come more murders and Hailey joins up with NYPD detective Ethan Kolker, her enemy from the first book.

Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2)
Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, Bk 2) by Nancy Grace (Hardcover - August 10, 2010)
$25.99