4.0 out of 5 stars Great premise and execution but TOO SHORT!
I just finished reading this book on a short, 6-hour flight to Great Britain. I picked it up at the Ashland Pioneer Coal Mine Tour store where the author is apparently a mine guide (it says so in the book). I was looking for something to relieve the boredom of the flight, and I found it for sure in this entertaining, nicely-written little travel companion...
Published on October 29, 2011 by Karl logan

3.0 out of 5 stars Miners Die
Published on December 14, 2010 by melalbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Miners Die, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Death in the Mines: Disasters and Rescues in the Anthracite Coal Fields of Pennsylvania (Paperback)
The book presents brief capsule summaries of many of the mining disasters in the antracite fields of NEPA. The telling of the Avondale disaster was most poignant to me since it laid the ground work for future mine safety regulations by requiring at least two means of egress from the mine. It was also poignant since I grew up nearby, heard of the disaster, but now understand what happened and why.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great premise and execution but TOO SHORT!, October 29, 2011

Having grown up in first Carbondale and then around Scranton, Pa, in the heart of the Northern Coal fields, I was aware of the Cola industry because of the ubiquitous old coal breakers that I remembered as a kid, and the mountains of black culm that were, and still are, almost everywhere. Little did I realize, however, the actual human cost of some of the places that I have driven past hundreds of times until I read this entertaining and vivid book.

The author uses quite a few newspaper articles to flash out the stories. Once thing you'll be surprised at is the insensitive, blunt way in which some reports were filed, which spare no detail about horrible injuries and gory visages seen when dead miners were brought up from below.

The book is separated into three parts; Deaths from Fire, from Explosions, and from Water Break-ins. Each section makes for great reading, but alas, I wolfed this book down in a scant few hours, and I wished that it were thrice as long, with even more information and relevant stories. That's about the only thing I can find fault with in this book.

It's also richly stocked with excellent mining photos from the area, and I highly recommend it for that alone.

All in all, well worth the modest purchase price! OH--and go to the Ashland tour too if you're in the area--also very cool and well worth the trip!

$19.99 $14.48