5.0 out of 5 stars A grim trip to sea worth your time..
Scorpion Releasing continues with their next exciting genre release, this time a real classic in the form of a lesser known violent ghost story at sea, Death Ship.

Published 21 months ago by Herbert West

3.0 out of 5 stars DeathShip DVD
Viewed this DVD(movie) and it was fairly interesting but could have been a bit better. It had some good scenes in it but I feel that they could have made a few of the scenes slightly more interesting with little to no work. The DVD played really well also so there were no technical problems at all with this DVD.
Published 5 months ago by Jimmy C.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A grim trip to sea worth your time.., December 22, 2012
Herbert West (The Rabbit Hole) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deathship [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

Featuring the always welcome George Kennedy (whom would go on to further 80s horror fare - see the excellent Just Before Dawn) and the ever familiar Richard Crenna, this is a very original horror movie which tells the tale of a group of shipwrecked survivors that happen upon a rusted out old abandoned ship from the 1930's. They go aboard, as it seems like a chance for survival from the open sea, but they soon realize they are in far more danger on the Death Ship!

While low on atmosphere, this film still does have some - and it's effective. The Nazi element is unsettling and gives cause to the paranormal violence that the survivors have to face. There is a quite memorable scene with the beautiful Victoria Burgoyne in the shower, when a large amount of blood ruins her day. Pretty awesome.

Filming a horror movie on the open sea is always an effective way to set up tension, as established early on with Jaws and other films ad nauseum. However, with Death Ship there is an extra sense of dread in that this time the threat is of a paranormal nature AND you cannot escape because there is still the threat of being lost at sea. In other words, where it lacks in atmosphere Death Ship makes up for in overall dread and fear. Plus, you get a decidedly dark performance from George Kennedy than you are probably used to. Overall though a really great "haunted-house-on-a-boat" spook fest that boasts some cool practical effects and decent scares. Definitely a midnight movie.

I have not seen the DVD so cannot compare - I have the Blu Ray, and it looks excellent. Death Ship was a great choice for Scorpoin Releasing's first Blu Ray release.

On a side note, while not advertised on the cover this time, Death Ship is the latest film to be released under the Katarina's Nightmare Theater line of genre horror releases. It contains both the regular film and the version that she opens and closes. She is silly and charming as usual.

Great buy for 70s/80s horror enthusiasts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Death Ship sails along., January 27, 2013
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
Death Ship is not typical horror movie. The story could've been great but it's okay the acting makes it better. George Kennedy
and Richard Creena are as good as ever. The story starts slow but picks up at a nice pace but nothing shocking. There's a few
scenes with blood but nothing gory. I think they should've had some nazi ghost in the movie to make it better. If you enjoy
the classic type tv movies of the 70's like me you'll enjoy this. if looking for gory crap you won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars a huanted nazi ghostship... OH, SOOOOO GOOD!, November 9, 2012
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
i first saw deathship in a cinema back, somewhere in the late 1970's. i love haunted ship and train movies and, i have seen alot of them! deathship is hands down the BEST of them!
george kennedy prformances of the "bipolar" captains is some of the acting of his career.
sorry folks, i'm not giving away any spoilers to this damn good movie.
folow up deathship by seeing the thai movie deathtrain... you will be so overjoyed that you did so!

5.0 out of 5 stars DEATH SHIP is not GHOST SHIP, December 2, 2012
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
DEATH SHIP is not GHOST SHIP. GHOST SHIP is a game. DEATH SHIP is real.

This is one of my favorite of the horror movies they used to show on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid. I have such fond memories of it that I bought the original movie poster a few years back. I've worn my VHS to a thin strip and I'm so glad that it now has a proper remastered DVD release, but I'm almost worried about seeing a cleaned up, sharper version! The "original", shown-on-TV copy I grew up seeing was so distorted and darkened that you could barely see the ash covered walls in the interior of the ship. Like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, something about the poor duplications of the film seemed to make it better - more seedy - more disturbing. Regardless of my nostalgia, I'm sure the remastered version won't disappoint...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Deathship [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Maybe i should only give it 4 stars due to no "pristine restoration" but it does look pretty good and the bonus with Katarina hosting and doing bonuses make it worth having. Though it seems they didn't really push the Katarina's Nightmare Theater intro in HD as is looks splotchy and upconverted, but when she does her skit it seems nice and clear. You can maybe get by with the DVD as nothing really jumped out at me visually with the blu-ray, but it looks good and the movie is a nice creepy film about an old cursed Nazi ship that sinks other ships to obtain any survivors to fuel itself with blood - so i wanted the Blu-ray just because i enjoyed the movie enough to want a best version.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing restoration we've ever seen, May 8, 2013
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
Whether you're a fan of horror of not, you should buy this DVD simply to witness the amazing restoration that has occurred. We owned an original VHS copy and that was absolute crap - even on on old CRT set. This new restoration is as pristine as anything that you would see coming out of a modern studio.

Also, the film itself is greatly enjoyable. Suspense abounds and the actors really make the best of what could have been a very cheesy B-movie horror flick. No blood or gore, but the results are just as exciting.

We thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the wonderful quality of the restoration simply added to that enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Titanic Was Nothing Compared To This Disaster!, April 12, 2013
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This has to be one of the worst films I've ever seen, and how this cast was corralled into this mess is anyone's guess. The actors actually look embarassed to be in this. Almost evey scene is underlit so everything is dark, there is NO suspense and the writing is a joke. That said, this is one of the best 'worst' movies I've ever seen. I love it! How it rates letterboxing and extras is beyond me. But if you're a 'Plan 9' kind of person, this is the seagoing equivalent. Enjoy, but stay out of the bilges!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of the Greats, January 22, 2013
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This is one of my favorite movies of the 1970's/1980's horror era. It is original, has a well-known cast of good actors and is scary without all the gags, gore and dumb naked bimbos that many of today's so-called horror movies rely on. The physical appearance and atmosphere of the German death ship is enough to give you the creeps. This remastered version has a nice clear picture which is a pleasure as some of the older movies have not been offered in DVD's of decent quality. There is a bonus feature that translates the German that is spoken by the former occupants of the ship into English so you know what is being said during these scenes. I found this helpful but it sort of took away from the creepiness of having to guess what the voice is saying. You know how leaving something to the imagination can be more visceral than if it is actually presented. Either way if you like a good, old fashion horror flick than don't miss this one. I have watched this movie many times and always get something more from each viewing. Death Ship is a winner and not to be confused with the mediocre Ghost Ship from a few years back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic Horror Movie!, February 1, 2013
This review is from: DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
Here's another classic horror movie in the tradition of the recent movie ''Ghost Ship''. This movie is awesome for all you horror fans out there if you love classic horror movies as I do. Take it from me, add this one to your classic horror movie collection. Its worth the money. I saw this one on VHS a long time ago, and it was good then. Now its in widescreen and on DVD too. WoW! I say awesome dude. Plus it remastered from the original 35mm print! Now I ask you all, Just how cool is that? Take it from me, buy it. You won't regret it! P. S. this one buries Ghost Ship without a doubt!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars So Bad It's Almost Good...But Mainly Just Bad., July 10, 2014
This review is from: Deathship [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I had seen this movie more than a few times before and had only the vaguest recollection of the film. By vague, I mean vague. I couldn't remember anything other than some scenes had some skeletons and they were on a ship.

When I saw it was now out in HD, remastered and even with some extras on the discs, I had to check it out. I thought, "Was this film better than the little I remember?" The basic idea of a haunted ship out on the seas holds some basic promise built into it and I figured...

I was wrong. It was only ten minutes into the film when I realized why I only had the vaguest memory of this film, despite having seen it multiple times: It makes almost no sense. I do not say that lightly. It barely makes any sense.

Now, I don't mean that the idea of a haunted ship isn't logical, or call bull[#$*$] on the paranormal aspect...or even that I take issue with some of the necessary stupidity and plot-moving action of characters in a horror movie. (they have to open that door, right?) I mean from minute to minute, nothing seems to make sense. I love movies, good and bad. I am one of those people that enjoy movies that are so-bad-they-are-good - and this is truly one of those gems. It isn't "campy" - it's genuinely, sincerely a mess.

I truly mean this next analogy. It's not hyperbole.
It's actually like there was all this basic footage filmed for individual scenes and two establishing shots of the ship, and all this film was just thrown on a table in an editing room...and then the intern was pulled in off the front desk of the production company and was suddenly charged with making sense of the film. "Sit down, check out all this footage, and throw something together. We have to have this ready for release in a week or so. Actually, damn...I mean tomorrow."

It really is that bad. Not the absolute worst movie I have ever seen, but in the top five. (or, should I say, bottom five)

That having been said, if you watch this film and were ever are a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 - you're going to be so disappointed they never found this film. But, it's ok they didn't because by the time you're five minutes in you'll have your own running commentary rolling through your head, or between you and your friends. Every gaffe, continuity error, abrupt transition, wooden piece of dialogue, or crappy music cue will be hard to ignore. If you're watching this alone and you don't find the humor in how bad it is...you shouldn't be allowed around sharp objects or children. Something's wrong.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition)
DeathShip (Remastered Widescreen Edition) by Alvin Rakoff (DVD - 2012)
$19.95 $17.98