5.0 out of 5 stars Death's Angel - The Love Story of Azrael and Sophie
Published 19 months ago by Mary Moritz

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars
Published 18 months ago by Real Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Death's Angel - The Love Story of Azrael and Sophie, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
"Death's Angel," the third novel in the Lost Angels series by Heather Killough-Walden, tells the love story of the archangel Azrael, former Angel of Death, and his recently discovered archess, the beautiful Sophie Bryce. I have read the previous books of the Lost Angel series and enjoyed them immensely, but this story, particularly the relationship between Sophie and Az, raises the series to a new emotional level. Az and Sophie each carry scars that they try to ignore but which influence them throughout their lives. Sophie lost her parents as a small child - in fact, a week before her sixth birthday. They were everything to her and whenever she speaks of them or participates in the little rituals they shared, it's heartbreaking. Once orphaned she was raised in foster care, experiencing much trauma, some of which she has completely blocked out. Sophie has one person she is really close to, her best friend Juliette. However, Juliette is newly married to archangel Gabriel and residing in Scotland mostly while Sophie has committed to plans that will move her to San Francisco. She finds herself without Juliette and mostly alone.

The prologue to "Death's Angel," powerfully depicts the beginning of Azrael's suffering, 2,000 years earlier when the four favored first came down to earth. Az is changed like none of his brothers. Many of the souls he led away, as was his job as the Angel of Death, seem to have held a grudge against him and all of their ill will has cursed him and turned him into a vampire, a creature that never even existed before. Suddenly he is fighting to feed off Michael each night, ripping into his neck to make his own horrid agony go away. Azrael is filled with self-loathing, begging Michael to kill him and fantasizing about walking into the sun, now caustic to him. He sees himself as a monster. It's a gut-wrenching scene, vividly depicted and beautifully written.

Try as I might, I can't do justice to the relationship between Az and Sophie. Heather Killough-Walden has taken her story of the Lost Angels and split it wide open. She has taken complicated, painful feelings and wounded lives and created a complicated, nurturing relationship that is both magical and gutsy real at the same time. And so passionate. Az and Sophie do make love like two people who have found each other after a lifetime of longing. Sophie and Az have a love that does seem to have waited for them, and it seems less like the Old Man created Sophie for Az, and more like they're parts of each other. They heal each other as well as themselves. There are lots of other happenings in this book, but I don't want to spoil the story. Suffice it to say that the monsters get more colorful and new allegiances are formed.

Sometimes I get the sense that an author has reached out her hand and caught fairy dust, or dragon's breath, or the whispers of bards long gone to deliver the magic of story. What I mean to say is that there are times reading when it seems magic happens: I bond with a character, or empathize so deeply and achingly that I can't easily shake the feeling. It's like crossing to another world. I know that's what reading is supposed to be about but some authors touch the magic more than others. Heather Killough-Walden is one of those.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Detail and the End Kept Me on the Edge of My Seat, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
Death's Angel is the third in HKW's Lost Angels series. The series tells the stories of the 4 favored archangels as they begin to find the archesses that had been promised to them thousands of years ago. Each couple goes through their own troubles and tribulations as they find their own way to true love with their soul mates. Death's Angel is Azrael's and Sophie's story. The beginning of the book is a build-up to the ending which had me riveted to my seat. For some, the beginning can seem a bit slow as HKW does what she is known for and provides all of the details and builds the relationship of the two main characters, but believe me, it is well worth the time to learn about all of the players and their impact on the future of this couple. Az is the angel of death and the first vampire, and in this book we are introduced to some of his vampires. It helps to show Az as a "person", his caring side. We also get to see the struggle with Sophie as she deals with jealousy and the feelings of inadequacy and the fears of being left behind.

After reading this book, I am anxiously awaiting the 4th book in the series. If you haven't read the first two books, make sure to pick them up along with Death's Angel, because you aren't going to want to miss a moment of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
I simply loved this, book, something new in the urban paranormal romance world. I like the characters, with so many shades, I can't wait for the next book in the series!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HKW does it again!, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
Those of us familiar with this author all wait with baited breath the next installment of one of HKW's on-going sagas. As always, she's delivered this with a deliciousness all her own... and left us wanting more. The singular thing I can think her works could use are more fans. I've praised her to family, I've praised her to friends. Now, I praise her to amazon. You can not go wrong adding this author to your list of anticipatory releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars This author surpasses, another fantastic read!, December 31, 2012
It's so horribly sad when I pondered this review, because I realized that I've come to expect impeccable vocabulary, impressive metaphors, and an exceptional flexing of the imagination to unknown territory when it comes to Heather Killough-Walden's work.

She is so impressive that the vast scope of her work a reader who reads many of her books can become blasé about. And I'm utterly appalled that a book so incredible I can think, this is normal.

No, it's not normal, it's damn impressive compared to other authors, it's only normal when you speak of this particular author. And yet I know Heather must have dug so deep to get the tones and shades just right, she must have been so pleased when she invented shadow walking and the magical creatures littered in this novel.

It's such a gem of author ingenuity that to be blasé about it would be a gross insult to the author.

This book is simply outstanding. It's a given to say I loved every second of it, that the world faded away as I stuck to the pages with a force beyond my control and was verily compelled to read it from start to finish with the only pause being for sleep - because that's what I've come to expect from this author's worlds.

As contemporary as this book is, Heather makes it all SO plausible, so real, so everyday, that it doesn't feel like a stretch of the imagination to believe these creatures are all around us and this battle is in fact going on in the darkness of the night, in realms and locations we're ignorant about.

It's utterly believable - but more than this, this story of Sophie coming to love an archangel is beautiful, mesmerizing, and very emotive.

It moves your emotions because it's the grittiest of the angel series so far. It boldly steps into the darkness of humanity and it strikes a cord - over and over again. It's so sad and bitter in places that you are moved to tears - I found the issue of the step-father really hit a nerve with me and it made me wish for a world where children are cherished and that men and their desires left young girls the heck alone and out of their sordid disgusting paws.

It's a feat of a novel, it's jam packed with drama and action and attraction and desperation. There are threads here that linger. For an author to move the reader's emotions to such a degree means they are really very good at what they do. This author is a guarantee that you will be moved around the emotional chess board - completely covering it - in each and every one of her novels, but with each new release she seems to be sewing these emotions deeper into the reader, leaving a stamp on your spine like the flag on the moon that declares *I've been here*.

Well done Heather K-W, your work never ceases to impress me. I apologize for taking your talent so horrifically for granted, because truly this book surpasses any expectation a normal sane reader would have. I love that you paint novels with light, dark, rainbows and nightmares, breaching the apathy of this world with your art.

This novel is just stupendous and definitely leaves a lingering impression. Well done! This is truly an incredibly original novel. You've never read anything like it, and I dare say she'll start a new trend in paranormal romances.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
I usually really enjoy all of this author's books but the Angel series seems to be losing its steam ( as many series books do). Most of her books have an intensity to them that is a combination of emotional pull and action. All there seems to be in this book is the action. I don't feel the intense romantic interactions that are in her other books. To make up for this it seems more pages are added and plot twists are introduced into the series. The book seemed too long and the addition of the magically creatures made my head hurt (wraiths and phantoms and dragons oh my!). It is well written as always but I just don't "feel the love" in it. I usually pre-order her books but I think I will wait awhile before buying the next one until others read it and post reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting and phenomenal read!, January 2, 2013
Warning! (If you are considering to read this amazing book, I recommend that you read the first and second installments first. Introductory novella - Always Angel, One - Avenger's Angel & two - Messenger's Angel.)

Heather does it again! Death's Angel is the third installment of the Lost Angel Series. This book will knock you of your feet and keep you entertained. Action packed, dark and deadly characters that you will absolutely fall in love with and a plot line to keep you guessing are but a few of the descriptions I could manage to say. I thoroughly enjoy Death's Angel and couldn't get enough! I am eagerly anticipating the next installment. You will not be disappointed in this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to resist, hard to put down!!, January 1, 2013
The characters & plot of this addictive book blends a perfect mix of danger, desire & breath taking moments that had me taking my kindle to work! I couldn't put it down & am now even more looking forward to the next book! I promise that just like any of Heather's books you will NOT be disappointed! 5 shining stars!
Sarah Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner in the Angel Series for Heather Killough-Wallen, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
"Death's Angel" is the third in the Lost Angel Series penned by Heather Killough-Wallen and does not disappoint in any way. Again she gives us characters who are fully drawn, easy to relate to and mesmerizing. But most importantly she has given us a good well crafted story. In the end run it is always about the story. The ability to immerse oneself in the plot is what good writing is all about. This author certainly knows how to draw the reader in and keep the pages turning.

The most important part of a series, in my opinion, is the ability of each book to stand alone while inspiring those who have not read the previous books to hunt them down and read them. I think "Death's Angel" does that. It is a fully stand alone novel, but much more richly entertaining if the reader has read the previous 2 novels.

The setting is San Francisco, the city I honeymooned in. The protagonists are angels who also happen to be cursed or blessed with other paranormal skills. Men looking for true love are always a wonder to behold. But a vampire angel? What could be more delectable?

Karen Bryant Doering
Parents' Little Black Book
MistBlueEeyore@gmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Left my heart in San Fancisco, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels (Kindle Edition)
You can feel to fog sticking to your skin and taste to ocean in the air. Sexy story in a sexy place.

Death's Angel: A Novel of the Lost Angels