Published on July 9, 2012 by Angela Holden

3.0 out of 5 stars Closer editing needed
Got this book through LTMG. Though dubious, this book ended up being a quick read for me. I enjoyed the story and after a slow start it moved quickly after. I liked most of the characters and found a few scenes quite gripping. There is a lot of religious and political bloviating but it was obviously well researched. Though I am no ivy league graduate, I found it hard to...
Published on August 31, 2012 by Jody Darden

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Enjoyable and an Excellent Source of Information about Turkish Culture and Values, July 9, 2012
Angela Holden (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Deceit to Die For (Kindle Edition)
In June 2012 I read an article in The Washington times written by Luke Montgomery about the Turkish pianist Fazil Say and his indictment by the Turkish government. Many of the stories being written at the time were relating the same facts with little new insight into the issue at hand. Luke's article was a lengthy opinion piece that was both well written and authoritative. At the end of the article there were several sentences about Luke Montgomery's expertise on foreign policy, religion and culture, and also noted that he is fluent Turkish. Earlier that day Fazil Say had posted a statement in Turkish on his Official Facebook page that I desperately wanted to have translated and post on my website, FazilSayFan.com, so I took a chance and got in touch with Luke to see if he could help me. To my delight he agreed to help my readers with some of the translations and asked me if I would be interested in reading his new book and discussing it on the site.

"...you shall never convince me that creation is the product of time and chance."

Luke Montgomery's book, A Deceit To Die For, is a cross between Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code, Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian, and Justin Cronin's The Passage. It is very fast paced and filled with many unexpected character developments. Luke is a master at creating tension and describing fear with cool precision. At the same time he writes with authority on topics of religion and politics, and does an excellent job explaining issues that I have struggled to understand for years. He draws a clear line between the "good" and the "bad," and he presents each side's story to the reader.

"No trouble comes from wishing people well, my son."

I do not pretend to understand the complexities of politics or religion in the Middle East and Turkey. But with my interest in Fazil Say and his career, I would like to gain some insight into this culture and the varying belief systems. Through the story of Ian, Gary, Gilbert, Ginger, Gwyn, and Zeki, I learned a tremendous amount about the politics at play in this part of the world. Luke writes quite nicely about the beauty and sense of belonging that religion can offer, but also points out its many hypocrisies and how religion is used to manipulate the masses.

"All dreams of empire end because day breaks in the hearts of the slaves used to build it."

If you're a Fazil Say Fan and looking for insight into Turkish culture, I can't recommend this book enough. It's got action and suspense, and Luke has written some well developed, and very likeable, characters. There are unexpected plot twists and an interesting surprise ending that leaves the door open for a sequel. As a contributor to this website, and a supporter of Fazil Say's career, his credibility will be obvious after you read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the ride! Fast moving and full of surprises!, July 7, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit to Die For (Kindle Edition)
Luke Montgomery has produced a masterpiece! As an avid reader, I am often often dissapointed by conversations and events which seem unrealistic. Example, "This is an outrage to me and my family. I will no longer stand for these atrocities." Example, "the brothers were going from room to room defeating their adversaries with courage and brute force." I have never said such things, or defeated people with "brute force". If you are seeking this type of reading, please do not insult Mr. Montgomery and choose a different selection. Reading this novel was quite the opposite. The characters personalities and events were so realistic, on many occasions I felt as though I was in the conversation, or a part of the chase.

This intriguing tale takes us around the Middle East with twists and turns, leading the reader to feel the emotions of the characters and travel with them on their adventure. Wonderfully written and exciting from start to finish! Although I am not familiar with the history and religious aspects of the middle east, the author is obviously an expert. However, an amazing amount of historical information is incorporated into the tale in such an integrated manner, the reader was never overwhelmed.

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, INTELLIGENT, A THRILLING PAGE-TURNER, June 28, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit To Die For (Paperback)
Professor Ian O'Brien has obtained a document that someone will go to any lengths to acquire. It's a 16th century conspiracy that now they want to obliterate. This is the premise for this unique, suspenseful novel by Luke Montgomery. It's clear that the author has knowledge of both religious and Byzantine history and how past and present governments have used and continue to use religion to suit their objectives.

One thing I did not like about this book is that all the Christian characters are very "good" and all but one of the Muslim characters are really "bad". I also did not like how he wrote the character of Judith Herrin, it would have been much better if she had played a bigger role and we had more understanding of her character earlier in the novel. I would have rated this 5 stars but these are two of the reasons I did not.

4 STARS

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed....!!!, March 28, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit to Die For (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic, suspenseful and unique historical novel intertwined with espionage and murder. An exceptional portrayal of the constant struggle between good and evil. A gripping plot driven by divergent religious beliefs. Well written by an author who no doubt has vast knowledge of Middle Eastern culture. Masterful details of complex covert shadowy government agency hidden from most of an oblivious population. Spine tingling ride from the beginning to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deceit to Die For, March 25, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit to Die For (Kindle Edition)
As a Middle East politics enthusiast of Turkish origin, I have witnessed the suffering of the Turkish people during the last 10 years from the Orwellian policies of an Islamic regime during which journalists are jailed for criticizing the government, the right to free speech is stifled by intimidating the public and where a government is the Big Brother who listens to private conversations and limits web access.
The common Turk is also aware of Imam Gulen who resides in PA and operates schools via his organization and network throughout the world including in the US.

With all its intricacy and deceit, Turkish politics already reads like a page turner. It was about time someone created a skillful and intelligent page turner using Turkey and its politics as the base. Luke Mongomery has done exactly that.

"A Deceit to Die For" takes place in the UK, the USA, Egypt and Turkey. A collection of letters and books acquired by Professor O'Brien contain a document someone wants to keep a secret at whatever expense. His family in the US find themselves against an international organization who is trying to bury the secret forever. The story breathlessly unfolds an international mystique. The framework is meticulously researched and the reader is treated to slices of life from modern Istanbul, the dynamics between government institutions and between social classes. It has realistic snapshots of suicide bombers, Hizbullah terrorists, government sympathizers with veiled wives.

I am already looking forward to this author's next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the Comfort Zone--A Must Read!, September 6, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit To Die For (Paperback)
I had the pleasure of meeting the author at a writers' event a few months ago. I was immediately impressed with the author, as well as his obvious devotion to his family. After reading his book, I am even more impressed. I am also a writer, and I consider myself reasonably well-read and educated, but I am not sure I can adequately describe my response to Mr. Montgomery's book. I was swept away, amazed, consumed, enthralled, shocked, and yes, awed. Mr. Montgomery does an excellent job of creating a world we can fall into, even if it is vastly different than our ordinary lives. The details of this world are impeccable, all of the characters realistic and compelling. The plot is fast paced, but so intricate, I found I needed to re-read passages. (I didn't want to miss anything!) I enjoyed every minute of every word. I am quite certain that I will read this fascinating book more than once. If you have an interest in history, if you have an interest in current world events, if you like to be surprised and kept on the edge of your seat, then you must read this book! I also want to know what ultimately happens to Zeki! Thank you, Luke Montgomery, for sharing your insight, your experiences, and your imagination! I loved the premise, and I loved your book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, July 28, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit to Die For (Kindle Edition)
First, I want to disclose that to me, 4 stars means excellent. I reserve 5 stars for all-time classics. So although my 4-star review brings down the average for this book's collection of reviews, I don't want my choice of 4 stars to be taken the wrong way.

And now, the review:

The premise of the novel is this: a professor discovers a centuries-old document which contains information about the Gospel of Barnabas (let's call it GOB for short), a false gospel which was written way, way after actual biblical texts were written. Because the GOB contains proclamations which would attempt to lead a reader away from Christianity and toward Islam, there is a conspiracy to destroy any evidence which would question the authenticity of the GOB.

The author, Luke Montgomery's website tells us that he has lived in Turkey and is an expert on many aspects of Middle Eastern culture, and the proof is all through the book. While reading "A Deceit to Die For", prepare to get educated on the history, the politics, and the religion of Turkey, and how the interaction between the three come together to affect the Middle East today.

In fact, that education is the one criticism I have of the book. At 512 pages, the reader cannot help but look for places where some cuts might have been in order, and in fact, some long passages explaining some of the historical context did slow things down a bit, especially during the first quarter of the book.

Of course, the flip side is that if Montgomery doesn't tell us about the background, history, and context, then we don't get what we need in order for the story to make complete sense to us. So it's a double-edged sword. My own take is that the long explanations dragged things down a bit at first, but then things got very interesting.

By "interesting", I mean that this story is full of action, intrigue, danger, and suspense. I've read some reviews where "A Deceit To Die For" is compared to "The Da Vinci Code", but honestly, it bears more resemblance to a James Bond or Jason Bourne story. At times, I was on the edge of my seat, rooting for the good guys, and wondering how they were going to get out of a mess or two. That's what you want out of a Bond/Bourne novel, and if that's what you like, you definitely should read this book.

Although the story is fictional, the details give the reader a clear picture of events and places, and this is where Montgomery's time living in Turkey helps the most: it provides authenticity to the story.

It should be noted that, because the novel contains criticism of the government of Turkey, that nation has blocked the author's website. And that's a shame. The people who might get the most enjoyment out of the thrilling ride offered by this novel are the ones who are enmeshed in the culture that it portrays.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deceit to Die For, June 13, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit To Die For (Paperback)
Dan Brown has more than met his match. I was born overseas and survived the Japanese Occupation of The Philippines and have a deep understanding of deceit and danger layered with lies and government propaganda. I took this book with me on a family cruise on The Disney "Fantasy" and found I could hardly put it down. Every spare moment that I was not with family, I was totally engrossed in Luke Montgomery's story. What a thriller! What a tale of intrigue, twists, and turns leading the reader rushing into a surprise ending. Can't wait to read the next book! The history, detail, and non-stop sequence of suspenseful events kept me turning pages so I could learn the outcome. This book would make a fantastic movie . . . or even a super TV series. I can see it now . . . ! Kudos to Luke Montgomery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, Thrilling Page Turner, March 26, 2012
This review is from: A Deceit To Die For (Paperback)
This book was such an adventure, and I had a terrible time putting it down. Sadly I was disappointed at the end because I wanted to know when the next one was coming out. I appreciated the depth and breadth of the characters. I could relate to the many character types and appreciated that all the bad guys were not from one culture, nor all the good. This was as much as a thrill ride as The DaVinci Code.

Much of the book is set in Turkey which is a country with a fascinating history I was largely unfamiliar with before the book. I love a book that entertains, challenges me, makes me inquisitive, and gets me to reading to learn more.

Mr. Montgomery, I hope you are already writing the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible political thriller in the heart of Europe and Istanbul. It is a page turner. I can not wait for the sequel, February 27, 2013
This review is from: A Deceit to Die For (Kindle Edition)
I started this book and could not put it down. It was a real page turner with excitement and mystery at every turn. However, underneath it all, it looks like it took some insiration from the current affairs in the Islamist forces in Turkey and mid East. I was not sure where the reality ended and fiction began. It is a must read for the people who want to understand the current middle east.

A Deceit to Die For