5.0 out of 5 stars GreenBeanTeenQueen Reviews
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Ghosts, romance, mystery, a Gothic feel, a mysterious private school, secrets-this book has everything a reader wants in a paranormal mystery. When I received my copy for review there was a note that said set time aside to read this one in one sitting-and it was right. Once I started reading Deception, I didn't want to stop!

Emma...
Published on June 19, 2010 by GreenBeanTeenQueen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as developed is I would have liked, but still good
It's been two weeks since I first started Deception and I've just now finished. For some, two weeks may be the norm and, therefore, they wouldn't understand what the big deal is with my declaration. For those who are used to getting through a novel within a day or two however, I'm sure the magnitude of my statement is clear.

There were at least two, maybe...
Published on June 8, 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique YA with ghosts!, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
Let me start off by saying that this is not the typical YA book about ghosts. It had an entirely different feel then any other book I've read. It was a wonderful change of pace. The mystery in the book was thoroughly engrossing and entirely impossible to figure out. I found myself thinking that it seemed a bit more scary then most YA. That I've read anyway. It wasn't bad, but the not knowing what it was just made it a bit more scary, I think.
I mostly liked Emma, I just found her naivete a little weird. It seemed like she would have figured some things out a bit sooner. I felt for her when her friends kept turning on her and I was curious as to what happened to her family! I really liked that she was more kind then most of those around her. To the ghosts, I mean.
I'm unsure of what I feel about some unfortunate events. I don't want to say too much because it would give away too much of the story. But it was definitely a different feel of things.
If your turned off because of the private school, don't be. It plays a fairly unimportant role and it really is just a school with rich kids. She doesn't live there or anything.
Where she did end up staying ended up being one of my favorite parts of the book. A museum, a very unique museum, but I wonder why it was called a museum because never once was anything discussed about people coming to the museum. It mostly just seemed like an old beautiful house.
The ending was a cliffhanger. Although a few loose ends were tied up, for the most part I was left hanging. That makes me a little mad but now I cannot wait for the next book! I'm not finding any info about it so I'm going to assume it'll be a year or so until it comes out. WAY too long! I got this one on a tour so I had to send it on, but if your debating whether to buy it or not, I say buy it! I'll probably wait until the next one comes out and then buy both.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting YA tale, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
My thoughts...Deception was a great read for YA fans of all ages. The plot moved at a rapid pace and it was really creepy during some parts of the book. As a ghostkeeper, Emma encounters all types of beings, good and evil, that leave her in some unpredictable situations. The mystery of her ability, her new home (as well as her old one), and her new friends kept me guessing and turning pages.

I thought Lee Nichols did a great job of writing the characters in deception. Their voices, especially Emma's, were very believable. Emma is a very strong heroine who is thrown into this mysterious world while dealing with a missing family. Bennett, her new guardian, is very secretive and full of mystery. Even after finishing the book, I am still not sure if he is trustworthy. There are also some unexpected characters that add a element of fun to the story- the ghosts. Several of them have great personalities that readers will become fond of. Overall, MOST of the characters were fun to read and very likeable.

Deception is a wonderful story. But, hold on to your bookmarks because it ends with a huge cliffhanger. Nichols has build a wonderful world of mystery that cannot be fully explored in one book. Book two in this trilogy, Betrayal, is due in March of 2011. It is expected to wrap up with Possession due in late 2011. Great books to look forward to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts and Love, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
I can't recall reading any paranormal book that was focused on ghosts but now Lee has me wanting more. This is Lee's first YA novel, she does have a several adult novels published as well.
In this book Emma his haunted by visions, visions that scare her. Her parents are out of town and unreachable and she ends up living with her guardian who is also the guy she loves, Bennett. She starts a new school, has to make new friends, and deal with her visions at the same time she has caught the eye of the quarterback, Coby.
The first fifty pages are so really threw me for a loop. What teenager would agree to move across the US with a guy who claims to be her guardian, a guardian her parents never told her she had, without asking more questions or demanding answers? I know she loves the guy but that part really bothered me. If my parents were on a business trip I would definitely get a hold of them before moving and attending a new school, I don't care what the circumstances were. In the end her decision to go with Bennett was expected and made for a great story. I hate that I have to wait till March 2011 for the sequel, the ending was a cliffhanger and I have several unanswered questions.
In the end I really enjoyed this book. It was full of mystery, just the right amount of romance, and ghosts. I think Lee really hit the mark with this YA series. Kudos!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts, Guys and Ghouls, July 9, 2010
Cheree Smith (Gold Coast, QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
Lee Nichols gives us a new ghost story in DECEPTION, the first Haunting Emily novel. Emily is just an average girl who's just a bit mixed up, that could have something to do with spending time in a mental institution (which she calls the POOF) as a child or the fact that her gallavanting parents have now disappeared. Now she's been taken away from her home and placed under the care of gorgeous Bennett's care at Echo Point. Here, she discovers that her family's been lying to her about herself. She's actually a ghostkeeper, someone who can see and communicate with ghosts. As she tries to adjust to a new school and learn about her powers, she discovers that not all ghosts are nice and that there's something out there dilling people. Emily has to find out who or what is out there before it finds her.

What's not to like? Ghosts, mysteries and cute boys. Nichols has created a unique supernatural mystery with plenty of twists and turns that will keep you guessing all the way till the end. The only thing I found a bit upsetting was the ending. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a terrific ending, but it left the story on a cliffhanger with more unanswered questions than resolutions. The story was left up in the air, which does the job of enticing the reader to pick up the second book, but now I have to wait until the next one is available. I'm definitely going to have to wait for the second one, bucause overall it is a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who You Gonna Call...Ghostkeepers, June 16, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
Quick & Dirty: A completely compelling and suspenseful read.

Opening Sentence: Six weeks ago, my parents disappeared.

The Review:

Emma Vaile plans to live it up and break all the rules while her parents are gone on a business trip, but naturally things take a turn for the worse. Emma's appointed guardian leaves her all alone to be closer to her own daughter. Now, Emma is stuck with running her parents store, as well as maintaining her school duties. To make matters worse, Emma's best friend is no longer speaking to her and she doesn't understand why. Alone and feeling isolated, Emma turns to her new friends. Wanting to be accepted into the group, Emma agrees to throw a party at her house. The party comes to an abrupt end when the police arrive. One of Emma's so called friend's reports her to Child Protective Services. Betrayed, Emma finds herself facing some pretty bleak options. Become a ward of the state or enter the foster care system. Luckily, Emma is saved in the nick of time by Bennett, her brother's friend. He takes Emma to New England and enrolls her at Thatcher Academy.

Deception is set in a rich, imaginative world that blends mystery, suspense, and romance. Emma is funny, strong and driven. She went from being immature to accepting major responsibilities head on. Some of the scenes are a touch melodramatic, but Emma is a very sympathetic character. Emma is lonely and worried about her family. She's essentially been abandoned. Emma can't seem to get a hold of them and she's battling danger at every turn. Emma discovers that she has powerful abilities, and battling evil ghosts is just the beginning. She's a Ghostkeeper, which means that she can communicate with ghosts. I'm definitely intrigued by the Ghostkeeper mythology.

I'm not really sure how I feel about Bennett. I never established a connection with him and he didn't come off as a particularly likable character. He's a bit too mysterious, suspicious, and I'm not sure what his real motivations are.

Overall, Deception is a great gothic ghost story. Deception has plenty of twists and a number of intriguing events. Strongly drawn characters and plenty of conflict help draw the reader deep into this genuinely spooky tale. The result is a wonderfully creepy, well-written story. Readers will eagerly await Betrayal, which is the next book in the series.

Notable Scene:

I smelled and felt the cold salt wind as it rose from the ocean and heard the waves rippling against the rocks below. The soft glow of the house fell into the darkness over the cliffs, as a thread of spectral fog thickened in the air and crept toward us.

As we watched, the fog morphed into a shape that looked nothing like other ghosts I'd seen. It had a skeletal, malformed body and wore tattered clothing. Except that it wasn't clothing. It was skin. Its bones were joined in the wrong places somehow, making it look more insect than human.

FTC Advisory: Bloomsbury provided me with an ARC of Deception. No goody bags, sponsorships, "material connections," or bribes were exchanged for my review. In addition, I don't receive affiliate fees for anything purchased via links from my site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, June 15, 2010
I have to admit that there's going to be nothing but love for this one in my review, because quite honestly this novel was nearly a prefect combination of mystery, suspense, and romance, along with some very awesome ghost keeper skills.

Emma is a someone I'm sure that nearly anyone can see a bit of themselves in. Since she's still dealing with the backlash of an ended friendship (Who hasn't been there?), she's crushing on someone who she shouldn't (or there?), and sometimes she feels that she truly doesn't know whom she wants to be when it comes to nearly everything (or there as well?). Oh, and yeah, she's see thinks she just might be going crazy. Plus she's sweet, funny, and down to earth, which left her to be one main character that I had no trouble relating to or reading their story. Also her relationships with Bennett (*swoon*) and Colby to her frenemy status with Natalie always hit a true point of reality with me.

The beginning of this, I have to say, was a bit slow, but soon after that Deception become one novel that become nothing short of addicting and tension ridden. The constant twists to the plot always left my mind filled with questions ranging from 'What happened to Emma's parents and brother?' to 'Would Emma and Bennet ever be together?' to 'Was Emma really crazy or did she have something extraordinary going for her?' among others; leaving this to be one novel I raced to finish in one sitting. Plus Nichols' writing was readable and always made me, as the reader, feel like I was right there with Emma and Bennett the whole time.

In all there's not much else to say besides that Deception is one book that is must-read for this upcoming summer and the Haunting Emma series, as well as Lee Nichols, are ones to watch.

Grade: A-

4.0 out of 5 stars A great new YA paranormal series, June 11, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
Emma is a sympathetic character who experiences a lot of loss at the beginning of the novel. Her parents are missing, her brother seems to have abandoned her, her friends betrayed her, and then she starts having scary visions. Even though she has gone through all of this pain, Emma is brave. She trains as a ghostkeeper and looks for answers about her missing parents and the creature that is murdering ghostkeepers. I also really liked how kind Emma is to the ghosts. Unlike Bennett and other ghostkeepers she treats the ghosts like they are still people. The ghosts themselves were some of my favorite supporting characters, especially the ones that live at the Stern mansion and the ghost teacher who distracts Emma during her math classes. Bennett is also suitably mysterious. He can be really nice to Emma but at the same time he seems to have his own agenda.

Deception combines suspense, romance, and the paranormal. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It was refreshing to read a YA paranormal romance novel about ghosts and I thought the ghostkeeper lore was very well developed. I enjoyed the romance almost as much as the suspense. Bennett and Emma have great chemistry together! The ending is something of a cliffhanger so hopefully we won't have to wait long for Betrayal, the next book in the Haunting Emma series.

Readalikes: The Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent, Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough, Meridian by Amber Kizer

4.0 out of 5 stars Read It! You Won't Regret It!, June 15, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
I know what you are thinking. No, I really do! You are thinking "Another boarding school YA?...." You were, right? But don't worry because Deception is not just another paranormal series to add to the ever growing mountain. I have a feeling that this one will stand out!

Deception is about Emma. Poor, poor Emma! Everyone in her life is disappearing and she's literally left with no one. That is, until Bennett shows up. Bennett is Emma's older brother's friend. And she might just have tensy little crush on him...and of course he shows zero interest in her. Now that she is living with Bennett she has to start a new school. A very elite new school. As if that isn't hard enough, she is seeing things that aren't there and she just might be going crazy.

This book was a great start to a new series. It's packed with everything, action, romance, humor and even some creepy things too! The mystery unfolded at a nice pace throughout the book. There was actually a lot going on in the story but Nichols handled it well. I never felt overwhelmed by the different issues.

Emma was just plain fun. She wasn't whiny, even though she had every reason to be! She held her head high and took everything in stride. I loved her spunk and dry humor. I couldn't have asked for a better main character! Her love interest, Bennett, was the perfect amount of brooding mysteriousness. My only complaint about the book was that Emma's "love" for Bennett seemed a little unfounded, to me. That's a very minor complaint! It was very easy to get past. This story is filled with very eccentric characters. Weather they be, ghosts or very rich boarding school boys they were all wonderful and compelling.

Deception is fantastic start to a new series. The suspense kept me turning pages and the eccentric characters had me giggling often. This is one that I would definitely recommend. Read it! You won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a combination of Fallen by Lauren Kate meets Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series., June 8, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
DECEPTION is like a combination of Fallen by Lauren Kate meets Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series. Like Fallen, DECEPTION has the new sort of gothic school full of students who may not be what they seem, and a main character torn between two guys. Like the Soul Screamers, DECEPTION's main character has spent her life thinking she's crazy and ignorant of her abilities because of her parents fear, and is eventually sent away from them.

I knew from the first page that DECEPTION was going to be good. The tone that Lee creates with Laurel's voice is instantly cool and observant. Growing up with her chronically jet-setting parents, Laurel has learned to be completely self reliant. She's capable and not easily intimidated, but also woefully aware of her isolation and secretly longs for true friends, and true love.

The mystery in DECEPTION is full of gothic intrigue and chilling suspense. What exactly are ghostkeepers? Why does Laurel feel such a connection to Thatcher Academy? How could her parents keep the truth from her and what else are they hiding? The answers to these questions aren't immediately obvious yet they ended up being completely satisfying once revealed. Plus Lee has left a lot unanswered for the next two Haunting Emma books (Betrayal and Possession).

DECEPTION is the third spooky good ghost story that I've read this year (Morpheus Road: The Light and Shade being the others). If these titles are any indication, ghosts are going to be the next hot thing in paranormal fiction. If you haven't gotten your ghost fix yet, DECEPTION is an excellent place to start. This gothic romance has it all: likeable characters, a doomed love triangle, and an intriguing new ghost mythology. It's subtly scary and provocative in turn. I'm already looking forward to Haunting Emma again when Betrayal comes out next winter.

Sexual Content: References to sex. Kissing

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, funny and steamy paranormal romance--love!, June 8, 2010
This review is from: Deception (Haunting Emma) (Hardcover)
I loved this book--fast paced, fun, and creepy...also a hot romance.
Emma Vaile is a kickass heroine!

Deception (Haunting Emma)
Deception (Haunting Emma) by Lee Nichols (Hardcover - June 8, 2010)
$16.99 $15.29