Covering all construction techniques literally from the ground up--from foundations, supports, and basic structural guidelines all the way to final finishes and maintenance--this book offers information on everything the do-it-yourselfer could want to know. Throughout, the book is highlighted with special tips and shortcuts, cost-saving tips and tricks, warnings about pitfalls and common mistakes, and a special emphasis on "learning the lingo": explaining the terminology of tools, hardware, and materials, as well as common building words and expressions. At 356 pages and with hundreds of useful illustrations, color photographs, and a detailed index for easy reference, this is the book you need if you are fantasizing about or planning a deck or patio for your home. --Mark A. Hetts
From the Back Cover
8 Pages of Colorful Photos to Motivate the Do-It-Yourselfer!
Build a Great Deck or Patio Without Breaking Your Back or the Bank! Planning a backyard bash but have nowhere to put the barbecue? Let this fun-filled, practical guide help you design, build, and maintain the outdoor space of your dreams. Written with the do-it-yourself builder in mind, Decks & Patios For Dummies® brings you everything you need to know to do a top-notch job including tips on when to get help! Before you know it, you'll be flipping burgers out back. Time to Hit the Deck!
- Plan the functional and fun outdoor haven that works best for your space
- Find out about basic rules of design so you can create your own layout
- Choose your surface wood, concrete, brick, flagstone, or tiles
- Treat your deck with the right sealant for the surface you've selected
- Build a solid patio foundation that won't flood with the first rain
- Don't forget the amenities barbecues, benches, overheads, planters, and more