• Displays original thinking and research that defy both conservative and liberal dogma
• Explains where and why things went wrong in 2008 and 2009, especially how the subprime mortgage debacle brought down mighty banks and, nearly, the entire economy
• Shows how to prevent markets from collapsing in such fashion again
• Demonstrates that Darwin's erroneous belief in uniformitarianism cut economists off from understanding how economies follow a boom-and-bust pattern common to all evolution
• Numerous charts and graphs
• Case studies of various economic upheavals
• A bibliography
The conservatives wanted unfettered free markets and liberals wanted easy money for all. Both got what they wanted—and the world's economy came crashing down. Did it happen, at least in part, because Charles Darwin unwittingly misled economists about how economies evolve? What we can do to ensure that it doesn't happen again?