Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2012 8:53:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 8:58:24 AM PDT
KCScout says:
What do you guys think about: "That's just a part of the picture"????

3894 carissalamountain 2012-05-09 21:47
CHarlaine,
I wanted to let you that Deadlocked was awesome and I couldn't put it down! I hope that you are going to continue the series. I loved how deadlocked ended and I cant wait to see were Sam and Sookie's future goes. In respect, with her heavy involvement into the vampire, and werewolf world. You have such an imagination. I thank you for sharing it with us. I am buzzing with excitement for the next!!!! LOL (I edited this post to add this other reader's message since I'm not sure what she's responding to.)

3897 TjayUK 2012-05-10 06:18
I have only just managed to get time to read Deadlocked and was a little unnerved to read negative feedback on it in reviews (not on this site) BUT yea of little faith as usual it was soooooooooo good. Ms Charlaine does not follow the happy ever after train for her characters so we are always in suspense as to what might happen in the future. There were certainly a few shocks for me on the way, i rang a friend at one point and said OMG you want believe whats just happened in the book!!!!!!!!!! and she doesnt read the series lol. Loved it Loved it Loved it THANK YOU I am looking forward to next year with anticipation as to where this is going and dread that its the last book. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3898 duckpond100 2012-05-10 08:34
Not everyone will enjoy the book. That's just part of the picture. I am getting such great feedback on this book, it really pumps me up. I think it's an especially strong entry in the series.

Charlaine Harris

Posted on May 11, 2012 9:00:07 AM PDT
STP15 says:
Basically, she's saying that she expects not everyone will enjoy the book and that's okay with her.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:52:14 AM PDT
J. Collier says:
KC, I just took her comment to mean that she's resigned herself to the fact that some people will be unhappy−that she's seen that reaction before and she knows she will again−but that she's going to end it the way she planned regardless.

She's said this several times, but she still seemed a little more positive before this book came out when she said: "I've just told her story, and I hope that I end the books in a way that makes most people happy."* As if she felt she *could* please at least the majority of her fans, if not all.

Although she's focusing on the good feedback, she's obviously seen that the book is getting mixed reviews.

* http://youtu.be/-SkbdwWrDiE?t=7m28s

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:47:07 AM PDT
KCScout says:
What does this mean though: "That's just part of the picture." *What* is just part of the picture?

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:49:15 AM PDT
STP15 says:
The "what" is "Not everyone will enjoy the book."

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:54:24 AM PDT
KCScout says:
Really? It's an odd way to say that I think.

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:10:52 AM PDT
LLE says:
CH knew all long that she will have mix reviews on the book. The readers expect some happiness for Sookie but their was not because the story is not over. I can't wait for the next book wonder what Sookie and Eric are going to do to get out from Felipe and QOK.

Posted on May 11, 2012 3:05:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 3:13:31 PM PDT
A_pand_A says:
I liked DL, but do you think that it fit into the other books in the series. I'm having trouble rereading it. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just busy. But DL didn't make me immediately want to go back and read all the books form the beginning. But it could be that I'm just eager for closure.

Um, I like to think that CH is referring to the book as 'just part of the picture'. Like one aspect of what's to come. Like: If you didn't like this book, you are really not going to like what happens next/last.

But, that's just me, I'm pessimistic and sarcastic at the same time. "Hey, KC, is that glass half empty?"

*drinks from cup*

"Now it is."

Posted on May 11, 2012 4:19:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 4:21:41 PM PDT
J. Collier says:
I've thought about it a little more, and I agree it does make sense that she's talking about Deadlocked being just part of the picture, or part of the whole story, as A_pand_A said. But what it suggests to me (of course . . . my being an optimist and all, lol) is that some people are reacting negatively to events in this book because they think they're going to go a certain way, but readers are not seeing the whole picture yet. They may feel quite differently once they read DEA. ;)

Posted on May 11, 2012 5:38:27 PM PDT
krtmd says:
I agree with you J. Collier. I'm thinking of an interview she gave to T-B.net, where they were rejoicing in the ending because they're Sam fans - and CH reminded them they hadn't read the final book yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 6:11:20 PM PDT
Karen says:
@krtmd - Is that interview the one that was done last year, or rather before DL was released?
IIRC, didn't she imply Sam would be hurt in the next book?

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:18:39 PM PDT
krtmd says:
I meant the one this year. They interviewed her before DL came out (they had an ARC).

I thought she implied that Sam would be hurt in the next book (DL) when they interviewed her for DR.

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:54:45 PM PDT
Oh Yes says:
I thought she implied that someone would be hurt not necessarily Sam.

IDK - I think she is feeding fears. What really matters is in the books IMO. The thing with CH is that no matter what you try to interrupt from her comments there is always the other side, who is convinced it is the other way. So I do not put much into what she says unless it is conclusive statement like, she won't become a vampire, or she will have an HEA.... things like that, everything else seems to be read two different ways.

Some people are convinced it is Sam, some are convinced it is Eric. I think what she is saying is it is just part of Sookie's story, and the greater picture. Which if you think about it could go either way! She is ever the mystery writer and knows how to rope in her mystery readers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:11:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 9:12:25 PM PDT
Karen says:
@Oh Yes -
I think the entire series is about Sookie's journey, and not necessarily a 'relationship' journey.
CH is a master at not giving many clues, or giving several with one seemingly simple statement.
I was afraid I'd missed a interview, and I had already read it, but had forgotten that one because it was short, and while it was nice, it didn't have much for me to ponder about.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 3:29:27 AM PDT
KCScout says:
" I've thought about it a little more, and I agree it does make sense that she's talking about Deadlocked being just part of the picture, or part of the whole story, as A_pand_A said. But what it suggests to me (of course . . . my being an optimist and all, lol) is that some people are reacting negatively to events in this book because they think they're going to go a certain way, but readers are not seeing the whole picture yet"

This was my impression but I swear, I am always second-guessing myself with my interpretation of what she says.

The funny thing is, Iove the books, the whole series and I don't worry *too* much about my POV regarding it despite all the people who seem to want to rain on my parade;)

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:47:57 AM PDT
krtmd says:
"I thought she implied that someone would be hurt not necessarily Sam."

@OY - This is probably more accurate. I'm sure what I know now is reflected in my memory of that year old interview.

In regard to CH, she is the master, IMO, both in how she writes and what she says publicly - she can manage to both convince me - and undermine my convictions - at the same time.

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:29:07 AM PDT
Oh Yes says:
Yep, krtmd - she has a way of unconvincing you just by answering your question.

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:17:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 12:17:29 PM PDT
krtmd says:
So, my friend who attended two signings wrote a blog piece - and I'll post the link if you're interested in reading the whole thing. At Salem College, CH had an interesting response to a question I thought some of you would enjoy:

The question was "With Eric leaving, will Pam go with him?" Charlaine response was "It's a bit presumptuous that he is leaving." "Pam will be happy."

http://ericandsookielovers.com/2012/05/12/meeting-the-maker/

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:55:21 PM PDT
cmh says:
So it sounds like Pam will survive DEA, too. Yay!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 1:10:28 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
@cmh

whoo wheee....what do you think would happen if CH killed Pam off?

(one way ticket to an unknown island? uhmmmm, yeah.) hehehe

though she did say that Pam is her fav character to write....and that she did regret killing Claudine off, a character that a lot of readers liked. (so therefore....I don't think Pam being offed was even considered.)

Posted on May 12, 2012 1:13:26 PM PDT
krtmd says:
So someone from SVB was at the Houston signing last night, and here's her report:

My question: In DR Mr. C is explaining the CD to Sookie and warning her to think hard about how she uses it b/c there can be unforeseen ramifications. I know that we're coming down to the wire in terms of page time left, but if and when Sookie decides to use the CD will we get to see any consequences from that decision?"

CH answered with a resounding "YES!". She said there will be definite consequences "IF Sookie decides to use it.". -wink-wink-

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 1:24:37 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
@krtmd

yep...makes me think of Stephen King and Pet Semetary again. Bring someone/something back to life....and it just isn't the "same".

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 1:26:45 PM PDT
Ann Anderson says:
Course, it could also be like The Green Mile (also Stephen King), where the affected creature lives on and on..

Posted on May 12, 2012 2:30:32 PM PDT
Oh Yes says:
Ooooooo pet cemetery!

Yeah, I don't think cheating death ever works out well does it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 4:03:11 PM PDT
KCScout says:
Big sigh of relief for Pam - ah, she's "happy" :-D
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  May 11, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12)
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - May 1, 2012)
3.5 out of 5 stars (1,824)