5.0 out of 5 stars Tutorial with Photos on Decorating
Published on September 28, 2011 by L. M. Keefer

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title
Published on June 12, 2012 by AB in Houston

5.0 out of 5 stars Tutorial with Photos on Decorating, September 28, 2011
This review is from: New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens) (Better Homes and Gardens Home) (Paperback)
Today we apartment and home dwellers want to be involved in decorating our homes. But we need to be informed on an abundance of topics to do so. This is an affordable "how-to" book that breaks the process down room-by-room with hundreds of ideas, and photos to illustrate the ideas, on how to create a room. It's great for those new to the process and those who are looking for ideas they haven't considered before.

Ten design basics are introduced for each room: living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens, offices, entries etc. Then, examples of popular styles of the room (playful chic, nature inspired, urban modern etc.) are illustrated along with a possible color palette for each room, important room elements are highlighted and our favorite before-and-afters of the room are shown. Three common flaws and three suggested fixes are covered for rooms. "Style made simple" regarding rooms covers topics like curtains, storage, headboards etc. Scattered throughout are short "try this" tips on the photos for DIYers (one example: cover self-adhesive lampshades with fabric).

There's styles for almost any taste featured in the House Tours section--my favorite section--including 10 styles such as modern cottage, classic bungalow, refined rustic, fresh traditional, modern family, today's farmhouse, artistic cottage and scandanavian modern. The styles tend to be more informal, but the tips could be adapted to more formal and glamourous styles as well which would be fun to do.

The workroom section at the end offers nuts and bolts basics on how to decorate with lessons on pattern, color, scale, balance, texture, paint, wallpaper, fabric etc. There's a complete "try this" section on wall art, storage, organization and projects followed by a "know-how" section on window wardrobes, lighting and room arranging.

I've been team-teaching interior design through continuing education for 10 years, and there's ideas in here I would like to try. For example, for armless dining chairs with leather-like round backs, make a slip-cover skirt for the chair that reaches to the floor in a striped fabric with a solid horizontal panel at bottom to match the leather color of the chair--it was very casual chic and you can change them seasonally. The self-adhesive fabric covered lampshade looked great, too!

You can spend hours going through this book and marking ideas you like. There's an average of 5 tips per page and almost 300 pages--so 1500 illustrated tips in current styles for you to peruse and highlight at your leisure. It's like an illustrated textbook on design--although much more fun than most textbooks you've encountered. I think it's one of the best introductory books on design available. It's a great introduction to and overview of the design process and like a refresher course if you've been studying design for awhile. I love the fresh, colorful, eclectic, welcoming room on the cover--it's representative of the styles you'll find inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book's a keeper!, October 8, 2011
Better Homes & Gardens has come out with another fantastic decorating book. I love this book because it is FILLED with tons of ideas for every budget and design style. I am an interior designer, blogger and decorative painter so I am constantly looking for new ideas and inspiration. I have already read this book cover to cover at least three times and still I find something new that catches my eye. I highly recommend if you can only buy one decorating book a year, this is the one! Also if you missed the last BH&G New Decorating Book, do yourself a favor and find it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, June 12, 2012
This book does have some good ideas, suggestions, and pictures. However, it is really much more focused on remodeling than on merely decorating. The bulk of the ideas in the book discuss recreating rooms not with paint, accessories, furniture, or whatever, but with actually re-doing the room from the ground up. That is NOT what I expected nor what I wanted; however, if that is what you are looking for this is probably an excellent book. Personally, I'm finding the Taunton Decorating Ideas Book much more in line with what I need -- we've just purchased a brand-new home so remodeling is not on the agenda, but I desperately need help with decorating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Decorating Ideas, December 7, 2011
I purchased this book, sight unseen, counting on the good reputation of Better Homes and Gardens. I am completely delighted with it. Every page is a full color example of wonderful interior decorating ideas. The book is divided by rooms and purposes. I delight in just paging through it and imagining all these creative ideas in my own home. I HIGHLY recommend this book for the interior decorating enthusiast.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice read, March 31, 2012
L (Mississippi) - See all my reviews
This book has some good ideas, and I may use a few of them in the near future. The pictures are very good and I was able to visualize my home in some of the changes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Decoration, February 9, 2012
I do like this book, but I did find it over done. I like stylish décor, but personally I prefer a more minimalist and masculine approach. The colour schemes are fresh and pretty. Lots of busy décor detail here.

5.0 out of 5 stars love, love this book!, October 22, 2011
i have decorating books by well known decorators & this is by far the best! a lot of the things in here u have around the house & it shows in an inexpensive way what to do. also new ideas that look expensive but r not. color palettes galore. its a must. bhg never disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, August 16, 2013
We are remodeling and redecorating our house. I have borrowed several books in this subject from the public library, then found this book is the best of all, so I decided to get it for our project.

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed with ideas and inspiration, June 22, 2013
FryLady (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I just bought this because I'm decorating a couple rooms from scratch and was overwhelmed. What I like about this book is in addition to advice on different types of rooms, it's packed with colorful photos and there are tons of ideas for do-it-yourself projects on just about every page. I may not be ready to actually DO those projects right now, but once I get the primary decorating handled, I think this is a book I will refer to again and again. Very practial and useful, highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars use it all the time, September 10, 2013
S. Winsor (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought a house 2 years ago and have neglected to decorate it due to the fact that I haven't a clue where to begin. By using this book, it has helped me figure out my favourite decorating style, what colours to use, how to set a 'mood' and even how to decorate with a minimal budget. There are lots of full colour photos. I recommend to everyone. Styles range from 'cottage' to 'modern'. Something for everyone.

$24.99 $14.99