$30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now PlasmaCar Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo

on April 13, 2009
This is the book to buy if you actually plan on decorating a room instead of just thinking or talking about it. Lots of practical instruction and step by step photos covering topics like "how to make a room appear larger." The author recognizes that we all have different budgets. Lots of ideas can be done cheaply or expanded based on available budget (wallpaper instead of paint for instance). Some suggestions help make more out of a room without buying anything at all. Highly recommended for anyone starting a decorating project.
on April 28, 2009
I have read a lot of decorating books. I've even written some. It's the rare book that actually gives you useful advice in a very accessible manner. Elizabeth Mayhew has come up with a clever, fun concept--a flip book in which you see how each of four rooms come together, step by step. But she's also filled this book with tons of practical advice that helps you narrow down the overwhelming breadth of options out there, and cuts to the chase by coming right and saying what you need to know--sisal isn't really practical, what coffee table to buy if you can't choose, no-fail paint colors, why you don't need elaborate swoopy curtains, and how to style a tabletop so it looks fabulous. It makes decorating look fun and do-able. Even if your style isn't anything like hers, you will find lots of valuable advice here.
on April 14, 2009
I always watch Elizabeth on Today and read her monthly column in House Beautiful, so I knew purchasing her book was a no-brainer. It had to be good, and I was right. I'm doing a house renovation and her book couldn't of come out at a better time. I felt stuck in a rut with my decorating scheme, even though I wanted a change I kept going back to the same things I've done before time after time. Elizabeth's book helped me pick a whole new color scheme for my house. Elizabeth's first chapter titled Color is my favorite. I was obsessing through the Benjamin Moore palette for weeks until I read her book. FLIP is full of great tips and ideas and it has a great resource guide at the end. You won't be disappointed. I'm already looking forward to her next book!
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2009
As an interior design student, I've met design teachers who are great designers but not good teachers.

Trust me, it is NOT easy to articulate "Why this and that would look good together." One of my experienced and certified designer teachers said to us that "This can't be taught. You have to feel it yourself. When you practice enough, you will know when it works." as a response to my question of how to put things together with a designer feel to it.

Well, I am so glad that someone could! The author of the book does a marvelous job at explaining in great details how to combine different elements to make a beautiful presentation on a corner or a side of the room. She is specific, concise, and easy to be understood.

The only flaw I'd be able to point out is the color of the text. I'd suggest the black color for the major part of the text, instead of the olive color that looks good but is not easy to read in print.

I love the book, and I find it to be very useful even to myself as an interior design student.
on March 18, 2010
So many home decorating manuals are discouraging. The pristine, polished interiors photographed inside seem entirely unattainable. After looking through them any urge to start a remodel project typically evaporates. Elizabeth Mayhew's new guide Flip! For Decorating is a welcome change because it's both inspiring and practical. There are photographs of beautiful rooms inside, but also step-by-step instructions about how to get there.

The book breaks the decorating process into smaller, manageable tasks. The chapter about designing a living room, for example, consists of guidelines about selecting a couch, a carpet, tables, chairs, lighting and accessories. In addition there are sequential photographs showing how each element is installed in an actual room, so that you can literally flip the pages and see the design come together. Someone decorating her own living room can follow these steps methodically or search the book for specific information, like what kind of sofa filling is most durable, or how high a coffee table should be.

Refreshingly, Mayhew isn't governed by a single style. Her process is to start with one element, like a paint color or an artwork, and assemble the rest of the room around it. This leaves plenty of freedom to mix and match between different styles. She says, "Follow your gut and buy what you're crazy about and you'll see a style called 'You' emerge." That seems like the perfect mantra for someone furnishing a home and trying to make it her own.
on November 27, 2011
Pros: This is a really cool concept. It takes an empty room, then shows how to add each element to get you from nothing to complete. It details what paint colors work on walls, furniture placement, how to add art and accessories etc. as you build a room. It makes even us decorating challenged think, "Hey, I can do that." And that was my first mistake.

Cons: The color section is good in that it details how to make a room look bigger, smaller etc. with wall color. But the cool thing about this is that it lists specific foolproof colors in the examples. (It's a bit of a shill to Benjamin Moore, as only this brand is used.) But I was geeked on her brown choice: "Benjamin Moore Wood Grain Brown #2109-30". I bought it for my living room. Mistake. The color I bought was ridiculously off from the color printed in the book. (Imagine caramel vs dark chocolate. Way off.) The skin tones in the book looked normal, and even with intense studio lighting, I don't know how the color could have been so different from the color in the store. I was pretty ticked at the book (and myself) and am now stuck with a very, very dark brown paint I don't know what to do with.

As another reviewer mentioned, the type is olive, not black, which makes this harder to read. But photography and layout are very nice.

Overall, I liked the book's concept, but it fell short on what I really wanted, which was specific color recommendations. 3.5 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2010
I echo what the other reviewers have said about this being a really practical, useful guide to decorating. I like her design aesthetic. Her tips are helpful and things I would not have thought of, i.e. when buying a lamp shade, bring the lamp to the store. My favorite chapter was the "No-fail Paint Colors." If she does a sequel, I would love to see even more of those, since there are so many colors out there. You definitely must sample the paint before painting your room, though. I know many people on Garden Web find her recommended Hawthorne Yellow to be excessively bright. I can see how this book would not be as helpful if you have extensive experience in decorating, i.e she uses one trim color for everything rather than varying it by warm color, cool color, etc. Elizabeth Mayhew is the editor-in-chief of Women's Day now. I'll have to see what she is writing in there.
on April 20, 2009
My expectations were high....but, not surprisingly, she delivered. I can't wait to go home and re-do my bookshelves! One of the many things I like best about Elizabeth Mayhew is that she always help you to make a room feel as if a real person lives there (not as if a set designer just stopped by your apartment). This is a great gift idea for birthdays and holidays - I have already bought this book as a present for many people and can't wait until her next book comes out!
on April 17, 2009
I have followed Elizabeth's column in House Beautiful as well as watched her on The Today Show. Finally, all her helpful advice is in a book! Flip! For Decorating is a helpful, practical, EASY-TO-READ guide on how to give your room a facelift. She provides wonderful tips from start to finish, floor to ceiling, wall to wall. Everything is clearly outlined and decorating does not seem as daunting with this fresh guide as Elizabeth has spelled out the golden rules.
on May 4, 2009
Easy to understand, but more than just a book for beginners, Flip fills a need for every level of decorator. Particularly impressive is her use of colors, especially reds, that make especially important aspects of her designs stand out. I look forward to seeing more from Elizabeth Mayhew in the future.