5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Gets 10 Stars on a Scale of 5
Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine and Luke Shanahan (she's an MD) is now in my own personal Top Ten books of all time. I could never say enough good things about this book; it's off the charts.

Published on December 28, 2010 by claudia

I really, really thought I would love this book. I had been wanting to buy it for a year or so and finally when I found out I was pregnant (with #3) I had the justification I needed to go ahead :)

I was unsure of whether to give this book 4 or 3 stars...I still would recommend it, just with some reservations.

Shanahan does a good job of explaining...
Published 23 months ago by EB MamaBear

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Gets 10 Stars on a Scale of 5, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food (Paperback)

I'm a health nut from way back, always telling my friends the latest about Omega-3's, the horrors of trans-fats, the crucial need for Vitamin D and more. I learned most of it first from my sister, I admit, but I found Barry Sears by myself. My sis actually has a 1938 publication by Weston Price, and first got going with Adele Davis. I've read countless books, magazine articles, newsletters, and manuals trying to understand what's what. I'd trade all I've ever read about diet, nutrition, and health food for the book produced by Catherine and Luke Shanahan.

Regarding the massive amount of research these two have done, they have really sifted the chaff from the wheat. (Oh, but too bad about that metaphor, wheat is kind of on the outs now for me.) What we should be eating, and WHY, is what this book is all about. This narrative has unusual insights and connects things you would never expect to see in a book about nutrition. This book is so engaging and well written; you certainly come away with a bit of the personality of its authors (a couple of minor typos are not a problem for me, unlike the reviewer who gave it two stars).

Your paradigms will shift! You know sugar is a problem. How bad? Pretty bad. You need to know why. Catherine and Luke explain it is so well you will wonder why candy is ever allowed in schools. But cheer-up, nutrient rich foods are nothing if not delicious! The more flavor, the more nutrition. Rich cream is good for you, and butter! Who knew? Olive oil is still OK, but I did not know how much damage the canola, soy, sunflower, and other veggie oils where doing. I had no idea.

Vegans will have the biggest challenge in their path to health. Our bodies did not evolve eating soy and veggies alone. Soy has major issues, well explained here. I'm now eating liver and liking it (I am shocked, actually), making my own yogurt from raw milk and loving it (remembering trips to Greece), and learning to ferment veggies (delicious).

French cooks, Julie and Julia fans, rejoice. Those French sauces, creamy or made of stock from slow cooked bones, are not only yummy, but super healthy!

Young adults who are getting married and thinking about babies, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read this wonderful book before you conceive. There are way, way, too many unhealthy kids in the world. You want one that is as perfect as possible. Deep nutrition starts before conception.

Boomers....do you want to be in the joint replacement brigade, dealing with cancer or heart disease, forgetting stuff all the time? Of course not. READ THIS BOOK!!

Amazon readers are always told "If you liked this book, you will like _______" I didn't think it was possible to have another book out there as good as this one, but Nora Gedgaudas wrote one. Her book, Primal Body--Primal Mind: Empower Your Total Health The Way Evolution Intended, is one you probably should buy at the same time you order this one. These two books are joined at the hip. They fit together perfectly with minimal duplication. They both give jaw-dropping insights into who we are bio-chemically, and what we can do to survive in a world where profits drive food production and medical care.

If you don't have heath care (I mean sick care), BUY these books. You'll be fine, unless you are hit by a truck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Deep Nutrition, May 12, 2011
docfor ME (Freeport, Maine) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading Deep Nutrition, Twice.

As a cardiologist, the first time I read it was to see what was in there. I found it to be very interesting. She gets down to the facts quite well. At the same time, I found a fascinating presentation of nutrition, genetics, anthropology, history, medicine, metabolism, and cooking. It is a book that I can refer to my patients as a resource, and to colleagues as a reference.

The second time I read it was right after the first. I realized that there was so much information in there,so "nutrient dense", that I had to read it again to really "consume and digest" (parden the puns, but no other way to say it) the wealth of information.

I recommend this book highly to anyone who is interested in food, nutrition, or metabolism, and in fact I recommend it to anyone who consumes food and nutrition, that is, anyone who can read and has a life. You will be thankful that you invested the time to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great. Falls short of Weston A Price principles, September 26, 2012

Shanahan does a good job of explaining why and how sugar/HFCS is so terrible for us. Good knowledge to keep in mind whenever the cravings hit. the biochemical chaos that ensues from eating very much of these foods is down right scary.

She also does a good job of explaining why and how transfat and industrial seed oils (canola, soy, corn, etc) are the real big kahuna of unhealthy foods; she follows up with why traditional fats like butter, coconut oil, EVOO are beneficial. this is something I already took to heart (no pun intended!) and I think she did a pretty good job of illustrating this point.

She has a very good chapter on collagen formation, which I learned a lot from.

Shanahan's writing style flows off the pen like honey- it sounds sweet and enticing and is easy to swallow. Unfortunately, I also found this to be a pitfall. Sometimes the words come too easy, and I think she gets ahead of herself and doesn't back herself up enough.

The field of epigenetics is revolutionary and has important implications for our lifestyle choices. But it will not "change your genes" as she often blurts out- it will change how your genes express. Of course a traditional diet is not going to turn you into claudia schiffer or michael jordan unless you started out with that genetic blueprint. Though Shanahan implies this throughout the book, I think she gets a bit overexcited and overstates herself. She also promises that by following a traditional diet, you can overcome genetic shortcomings and have a perfect baby- one who turns heads and engenders envy in the sports arena. Well, maybe- big maybe. Lets say your parents ate a typical standard american diet, and you bore the brunt of that with less than ideal physical proportions- slightly crowded teeth, underdeveloped cheekbones, thin upper lip, and you didn't get much taller than them. But lets say that your grandparents and ancestors before all followed a very rich traditional diet- so you are only one generation away from what that inferred. Get yourself and your partner back on track months or years before conception, you may very well have a baby that is more well developed, very beautiful and athletic, vigorous. But as Francis Pottenger discovered (whom Shanahan refers to, but misses the point), one generation of dietary shortcomings can (unfortunately) take multiple generations of correct diet to recover. Now lets say not only your parents but your grandparents as well ate a typical modern diet, lacking in those essential fat soluble vitamins needed for proper development and genotype. You may or may not be able to overcome that with a few months of extremely careful diet and supplementation and produce as Shanahan promises a perfect baby. I don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer- I face these facts myself, especially as a parent. I am trying my hardest, but I don't get bogged down in how perfect my children look or otherwise turn out. Of course, like any parent, I just want my children to be healthy and happy. But I do have some qualms that Shanahan gets ahead of herself and makes false promises and exagerrated claims about a traditional diet. Of course it is critical to follow a diet like this during childbearing years- just don't think it will guarantee you a supermodel or professional athlete for a child. Of course I don't think many of us do, but Shanahan leads us to believe we could.

Another problem I have is that Shanahan really misses the boat on what Weston A Price established in his research, which is that the fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) found in animal foods are essential for carrying on the proper genetic material. Shanahan rightly points out how proper diet ensures the ideal proportions and symmetry to give your child a beautiful face, but does not even mention that it is vitamin A (true vitamin A, not beta carotene) that makes this possible. I am really scratching my head as to how she could leave this crucial information out. Instead she falls back on recommending a synthetic prenatal to most of her patients, but does not seem to understand that the real importance to pregnant women, esp before conception, is these fat soluble vitamins. She recommends cod liver oil, because of the omega 3's- traditional (fermented) cod liver oil is rich in fat soluble vitamins which is what makes is a super food, not the omega 3's. Vitamins A, D, K found in pastured animal products or wild seafood, are absolutely essential to proper cellular division in the beginning of pregnancy (otherwise you will have a miscarriage because the cells did not differentiate)and also to the organs and other body parts forming, to bone structure which includes not only facial symmetry but stature and pelvic opening- so important for women to bear children, brain and nervous system development, on and on. I am just really dumbfounded how someone who studied Weston A Price could not include this info. Its like she got so caught up in facial symmetry and the plastic surgeon Dr. Marqhardt, that she stopped short of comprehending the actual cause of facial symmetry, good health and ideal genetic expression which has a very specific nutritional foundation: fat soluble vitamins and their co-factors found in animal foods.

Which brings me to another problem I had with this book. Shanahan seems so enamored of the plastic surgeon and his work, the beauty mask that describes perfect facial symmetry; this obsession overshadows the real pioneering work of Dr. Weston A Price. In the first chapter, she talks at length about the plastic surgeon, then briefy alludes to Weston A Price, and not even by name! This plastic surgeon's work has to do with how you can come to him so he will "fix" your face, what a contribution to society. Dr. Weston A Price's research has far reaching implications for ourselves and our future generations, for restoring our health and genetic potential through proper diet. Dr. Price's work is invaluable to us, it came at a critical time in history when he could study both traditional diets and those who switched to a modern diet. Nobody else has accomplished what he did. His work has true merit to all of civilization, not just Hollywood types who get plastic surgery. Why Shanahan relies so heavily upon photos of celebrities and their siblings, when she could have turned to Price's photos of families on traditional vs. modern diets also leaves me scratching my head. Price's photos give us a much clearer illustration of the destruction of modern diets, yet she would rather include pictures of Prince Harry and Prince William or Matt Dillon and his younger brother Kevin, with their minor "imperfections". She is stretching so far to prove her point, I feel she undoes some of it, unfortunately. Instead she should have relied on Weston A Price and his irrefutable, well researched work- which also would have led her to share the importance of fat soluble vitamins.

The dietary suggestions at the end of the book are incomprehensible. There are only 3 scant pages of suggestions, and many of them are not very good or downright contradict her previous advice. She extols the virtues of raw milk, but then at the end says it is okay to drink organic store bought milk. This milk is not only usually ultra-pastuerized (the worst kind), it is generally confinement fed holsteins eating organic corn/soy. A far cry from raw, grass fed, traditional breed dairy cow's milk. She also heartily recommends store bought organic butter (same issues) She tells us not to eat frozen food but readily recommends Ezekiel bread- which is sprouted but contains soy (she actually says whole soy can be part of a healthy diet). She tells us not to eat sugar, but then recommends yogurt with JAM for breakfast, oh yes, washed down with coffee. After her hard hammer on sugar, she recommends coffee, which can be just as damaging to the adrenals. Not to say I don't enjoy a nip of coffee here or there, but I don't recommend it as part of a healthy eating plan. Going on, even though she just told us sugar will surely kill us, you can have some homemade cookies and dark chocolate later in the day, even some wine. And even though her sugar chapter came down equally hard on starches, her diet plan is far from "low carb" or even moderately low carb, it is rife with suggestions to have homemade pizza, crepes, toast, toast, and more toast. Again, I am not saying I don't indulge in these things myself, but the fact that she includes them in her slim-to-none dietary recommendations is contradictory to say the least. How are those traditional? We all already eat things like that from time to time, so we don't need it to be recommended to us. What would actually be helpful is real traditional type food suggestions and maybe a handful of recipes (she gives 2 recipes, one for broth and one for liver). She also recommends lots of nut butter, including peanut butter, which I mostly avoid because of aflatoxin. Of course there is not mention if it is soaked (properly prepared) nut butters, she is recommending run of the mill "natural" nut butters. Oh! but not the ones with palm oil (she says they taste bad...?), which she previously assures us is a healthy fat, which only leaves nut butters made with CANOLA or SAFFLOWER OIL, the very industrial seed oils she tells us to eat under no circumstances. So at this point she has lost a lot of credibility with me. Or, it makes her more human, like me, she knows a lot about healthy eating but sometimes doesn't make the most ideal choices. But I did not write a book, and then at the end include my dietary compromises as if they are perfectly healthy. Overall, her "four pillars" and meal suggestions at the end of the book leave a lot to the imagination, which in this case is not a good thing! I can imagine a diet that might fall into her four pillars and her suggestions, but still be woefully inadequate in the fat soluble vitamins, proteins, and other co-factors necessary for the body to utilize those nutrients properly.

Either way, I can only recommend this book with reservations. I think Shanahan started out with great intentions, but did not follow through in all of her chapters. Some are very good and some are okay, but some left me scratching my head. I do think with a little more work and revision, this could be a 5 star book. But it has a ways to go.

If you are pretty new to traditional diets, this book is easy to read, even fun to read, and will probably give you lots of helpful information so you can take steps towards a traditional diet. If you are already into the traditional or primal type diet/lifestyle, this book will please you in some ways but probably let you down in others. Overall, I am glad I bought it because now I want to pick up a more thorough book on epigenetics. I also learned a few things, though many of the bases I already had covered. For the price, I am not sorry I bought it. Sometimes reading a book you can pick apart a bit helps establish where you do stand and what you do know. I really hope she comes out with a revised edition, or that her other book is much more solid, because I think Shanahan could be an important voice in the traditional foods movement. As good, not great, as this was, it just left a lot to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book on nutrition out there!!!!!, July 6, 2011
First of all, this is THE best book on nutrition out there. Get this book. I own three copies: one for my own reference, and two to lend out. It's that good.

Deep Nutrition is an easy read, witty and engaging. It reads more like a novel than a nutritional text. You will find yourself turning the pages and wishing for more. It will change the way you look at food forever. It has for us.

The main premise is that you can change your life and the lives of your children by following the principles of traditional eating. In a society riddled by adult and childhood health problems, this is good news indeed! For the couple looking to conceive, it means having tools to have a healthy and beautiful child. For both children and adults with current health problems, it means hope for recovery. By eating a traditional diet, we can change how our genes work and how our children's genes work.

We can also change the way our children look. Using principles from Stephen Marquardt and from modern scientific research, Catherine Shanahan shows us how beauty is objective, transcending all cultures and races. There is a certain dynamic symmetry that the human brain looks for and recognizes as beautiful. I know this sounds abstract, but the book provides some very convincing pictures. Especially interesting are pictures of siblings showing that the later born siblings have less dynamic symmetry, presumably the result of less optimal maternal nutrition. The latest born siblings have features similar to fetal alcohol syndrome. Could second sibling syndrome and fetal alcohol syndrome both be related to maternal malnutrition? See for yourself, but you will not be able to look at facial features the same way again.

So what is Deep Nutrition? What is traditional food? It's the food our grandparents and great grandparents grew up eating. It's soups and sauces made from bone stocks and broths, pasture raised meats and organ meats, fish, fresh vegetables, fermented vegetables, raw milk, nature made fats and fruits. Compare this with the modern American diet of frozen dinners, Pop Tarts, Cap'n Crunch, Doritos, Oreos, Gatorade, soy milk, "vegetable" oil, and Coke Zero. Our ancestors would not have recognized these products because they didn't exist until recently. So, how do traditional foods help us? OK. I'm in my 30's and I grew up thinking that soup had to come out of a can or a little envelope full of powder. My husband's mother made homemade chicken soup out of a real chicken, bones and all, for her children as they grew up. My 92 year old father-in-law tells us over and over about how, as a child, his mother made them real homemade chicken soup every Sunday and how they would eat the leftovers all week. He still walks without a cane. People cannot believe that he is 92. My husband is in his 40's and is as strong as he's ever been. He looks to be following in his father's footsteps. I grew up being overweight and plagued by soft tissue injuries, including injuries to the tendons in my arms, a ligament in my knee, and problems with my lower back. I was given an honorary t-shirt at the local physical therapy practice and told I had been there so long that I was considered to be part of the family. After learning that the Deep Nutrition in broths and stocks made from bones contain substances that help the body heal tendons, ligaments and joints, you'd better believe I learned how to make these stocks and broths myself. It's easy, by the way. I now use homemade stock in everything I can. It makes an ordinary meal taste extraordinary, makes delectable sauces and gravies, yummy soups, and my soft tissue injuries are finally healing! Talk about a win, win scenario! Oh yes, that's the other thing. Deeply Nutritious food tastes GREAT! Those little envelopes full of flavored powder that promise to become tasty if you will only add water and heat them up taste nothing like the real food that is Deep Nutrition. Expect to be inspired to spend more time in the kitchen crafting the foods that will craft and heal you and will deeply satisfy you and your family.

Deep Nutrition is not a cookbook. It's a unique guidebook to traditional foods - what they are and why we should eat them. Whether you are already experienced in cooking these foods, or like me believed that soup came out of a can or a little packet, Deep Nutrition has something for you. I have not seen such clear explanations in any other book. Much research went into this book, and while scholarly, it is amazingly accessible. Also included are lists of good foods to include in your diet which have the power to transform your health, foods to avoid and why, a list of baby steps to help you change your diet to healthier traditional foods, and even tips on using nutritional know-how to lose weight and stay young. You need this book! While you are at it, just order two. You're going to want to share this with all the important people in your life. Seriously. Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Piece, March 27, 2012
(From the blog of newdawnfitness.com)
The last book I got through in a few days was the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. Since then, I have yet to string enough time together to finish any of the books that I am chomping at the bit to read. This changed when I started reading the book Deep Nutrition Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine Shanahan, MD and Luke Shanahan. I read it every waking moment and finished it in a week. This is a huge feat for me! If anyone knows how much Will talks, you will know that this was a next to impossible task since he is with me the majority of the day:) I say that with love. It was hard for me to put this book down. The information she provided made so much sense to me and it felt like I had finally found the missing link I so yearned for in my journey to regaining my health. The field of epigenetics(the study of gene expression) is new to me, but I find it fascinating and I think many of you will too! In her book, Dr. Shanahan discusses how good genes can lay dormant if we are not providing our body with the proper nutrients and at the same time, we can mutate our genes and turn them against us. Sugar, vegetable oils, and processed foods are the biggest culprits in the destruction of our good cells and lead to so many diseases. The following passage from Dr. Shanahan's book really hit home with me regarding sugar consumption.

You may have heard that, on average, we gain ten pounds a decade after the ago of 35; women in particular, start reporting that they can't eat like they used to. This phenomenon may be directly related to the biochemical effects of sugar binding to hormone receptors, jamming them, and rendering us insensitive to the hormone insulin. Once you are insulin resistant, blood sugar levels rise higher still, leading to diabetes and all its related disorders, including weight gain, circulatory and sexual dysfunction. For the the same reasons sugar jams hormone signals, it also clogs nutrient channels, weakening bone and muscle and slowing neural communication, which can impair mood and memory and lead to dementia. While all this is going on, sugar stiffens the collagen in your tendons, joints, and skin, causing arthritis and premature wrinkling, while interfering with the production of new collagen throughout your entire body. And because sugar changes the surface markers your white blood cells need to distinguish between indigenous cells from invaders, it opens the door to cancer and infection.

I get very emotional when it comes to sugar. Even when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes, there was no mention of eliminating sugar or the fact that the heart healthy cereal, bread, and pastas she was told to eat were actually converted to sugar in her body faster than drinking a soda. Diabetes causes a cascade of other immune problems when not treated properly. I already knew the dangers of sugar and have seen it first hand, but reading this passage confirmed my decision to drastically reduce/eliminate my sugar consumption.

My jaw dropped while I was reading the paragraphs about the dangers of vegetable oils. I was even more floored when I saw how many products we feed ourselves and our children contain vegetable oils because they are cheap and readily available!!! In fact, many of the products have "healthy"sugars and vegetable oils as their main ingredients which leads me to another excerpt from Dr. Shanahan's book.

Whereas in previous centuries part of a parent's responsibility was to work hard to prevent their children from getting sick, today so many of us are sick ourselves that we have grown to accept disease as one of life's inevitables-even for our children. Today's kids aren't healthy. But rather then make such a seeping and terrifying declaration, we avert our eyes from the growing mound of evidence, fill the next set of prescriptions, and expand our definition of normal childhood health to encompass all manner of medical interventions. This generation of children has accumulated the epigenetic damage of at least the three previous generations due to lack of adequate nutrition along with the over-consumption of sugar and new, artificial fats found in vegetable oils.

Wow, that paragraph gets me every time I read it. It is so powerful and so true. After reading this book, I asked Paul's nana and my grandma what they ate when they were younger. Just a side note: both Paul's Nana and my grandma are strong, healthy, beautiful women in their 90's. I wasn't surprised to find that they ate grassfed meat and dairy, bone and chicken broths, oxtail soup, liver, sauerkraut, fish, and free range chicken and eggs which are foods that Dr. Shanahan promotes in her book. Just a coincidence? I think not.

This book has impacted my view of health in such a dramatic fashion. Dr. Shanahan shares a wealth of knowledge and information that is priceless and I highly recommend this book. There is more information I want to discuss and share with you about her book, but have decided to break this post in to two parts. Just some food for thought that I will let you digest until next time. Happy Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Powerful than a Locomotive, Able to Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound, Look! Up in the Sky! It's Dr. Cate!, March 7, 2011
Last year my triglycerides were elevated and I started a quest to learn about LDL, HDL and what I could do to clean-up, yes, even reverse, any narrowing or plaque formations in my coronary arteries via changes in my diet. The explanations in Chapters 8 and 9 of this book showing how free radicals from polyunsaturated vegetable oils (excluding olive oil and coconut oil) and elevated levels of blood sugar precipitate plaque formations are easily the most informative, logical and plausible explanations I have found. I have been on a quest to understand the mechanism(s) leading to the formation of atherosclerotic plaques for the past six months, have downloaded and studied over 90 medical journal articles and bought five medical texts including Molecular Mechanisms of Atherosclerosis edited by Joseph Loscalzo. Figures 6 and 8 in Chapter 8 of this book are priceless. The table on page 174 listing 10 categories of foods containing inflammatory fat is worth more than 1,000 times the price of the book. Her chart on page 170 showing how Ancel Keys' 7 countries study conveniently left out 15 other countries that skewed his data is the simplest, most concise and memorable treatment of that I have seen anywhere (I have 3 other books that agree on her conclusion that Keys unfortunately managed to put conventional wisdom on cholesterol and fat on the wrong track.). The great weight of the evidence today is that the animal fat/cholesterol theory started by Keys has backfired with tragic consequences to our national health. (Dr. Malcomb Kendrick calls it The Great Cholesterol Con). Obviously, she disagrees with Drs. Dean Ornish and Caldwell Esselstyn about the harm from eating foods that have a mother or a face; but she is not really at odds with their approach. Hers is simply more narrowly tailored on the one hand; and her points about epigenics actually helps them since it explains why we can reverse plaque formations through diet. [chemical signals happen all the time; especially in regulating the storage of fat and the level of blood sugar]. All three say cut way-back on any food containing added sugar. Soft drinks are lethal. Chapter 9 in this book says much more than any other book I have found or any journal article I have ever read about why even a little bit too much blood sugar wreaks such havoc on our intricate biochemical balance. Moreover, her point that you can turn-on or turn-off your own genes simply by what you eat is so profound, it's staggering in its implication(s). Finally, her lesson in the cell biology of fat cells going back to stem cells and remodeling on the way (page 244) should be required reading for many if not all of of the professionals laboring daily in the highly critical and fertile fields of wellness, weight loss and nutrition. You fail to read this book at your peril. The reviewer who put this book in their All Time Top 10 is spot on. I bet it sells out in less than 2 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this and take charge of your health!, August 29, 2010
As a young woman with an eventual family on my mind, this book is invaluable to me. Misconceptions I have held about dairy and its place in the human diet have been shattered, and not because of one person's opinion, but because of the factual and scientific nature of the book. So many 'health' books nowadays are based solely on opinion and misinterpreted data. Deep Nutrition is a breath of fresh air because it teaches, on the basis of science, why certain foods (like raw dairy) are truly invaluable aspects of a healthy diet.

I would urge everyone, especially young couples thinking about starting a family, to read this book. Not only will it help you to change your health today, but the health of your future children and even grandchildren. Dr. Shanahan does an amazing job of getting to the root of true health and sharing it with the reader, and she's right: Your body NEEDS the traditional foods of generations past. Read this book and see!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Book I've Ever Read That's Changed My Eating Habits, September 1, 2009
Sandra (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Thoughtful, thought-provoking and approachable, Deep Nutrition presents a universe of ideas that possess the rarest of qualities: obvious and eye-opening at the same time. Cate and Luke delve into concepts of food as information for our genes, the relationship between the health and beauty of our bodies and the health and beauty of the environment in which they function, disease and nutrition, and the collective wisdom (which they term the Four Pillars) contained in traditional cuisines to deliver a compelling read. I came away from this book motivated in a way I never have before to change my diet. And by "change" I don't mean merely to think about changing it, but to actually change it. They shine a sorely-needed spotlight on vegetable oils and sugars, and explain in accessible terms why these twin poisons are so harmful and so ubiquitous. For a long time, my reaction to books proposing eating in a slower, wiser and healthier way was "yeah, that's a great idea, but it takes time I don't have." I have come to realize that that's the whole point -- things that are important should take time. Moreover, as with any change in habits, a new way of thinking becomes automatic over time. This book makes sense. It resonates. After reading this book, you'll never view a trip to the supermarket the same again...

5.0 out of 5 stars I would love to shake her hand!, May 10, 2010
RSD48 (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
There is nothing better than the combination of sound medical/ science information coupled with respect for the wisdom of our ancestors regarding our nutrition. Here's a book that will tell you why, in medically precise ways, your ancestors (maybe as recently as your grandparents) had a different respectful approach to food, and its preparation, that had an intimate connection to health at any age. There are essential factors all traditional cuisines have in common, no matter where they came from. She then compares/contrasts our fast-food, low-fat, carbohydrate laden food choices and the resultant up-welling of diabetes, obesity, heart disease and stroke.

Ultimately Dr. Shanahan's book is deeply informative about how our current nutritional trends effect physiologic function, right down to the cellular level, and every body tissue. Our ancestors may not have been able to articulate why traditional world cuisines worked, but they could see the results in their beautiful children having strong straight bones, straight strong teeth who grew up to be healthy strong members of their societies. Dr. Shanahan will lay it out for you ever so clearly and how you can recapture that ancestral food wisdom and scrap the health draining trends of the last 60 years that have only caused an increase in obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and a nation dependent on pharmaceuticals to cope with the end results of the government/ AHA/ ADA backed food pyramid.

Also recommended: Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage), Food, Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, August 8, 2009
Deep Nutrition is an eye opening read unlike any "diet" book I have ever seen Dr. Cate's's message is something that has always ached at my awareness. Our relationship with food is actually a relationship with nature itself! Whether good or bad-this relationship communicates directly with our cells. Its so simple yet not what you would expect from an MD. Deep Nutrition also sheds light on the dirty little secrets of big business and how the pursuit of profits is literally poisoning our children . It empowers the reader to become more conscious of there relationship with food and the eventual consequences if we don't. I love it and have actually lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and feel better then ever! It was well written with excellent scientific data, as well as a sweet, honest and approachable demeanor. 5 stars without a doubt!

Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine Shanahan (Paperback - November 14, 2008)
$19.95 $15.70