Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on May 10, 2010
There is nothing better than the combination of sound medical/ science information coupled with respect for the wisdom of our ancestors regarding our nutrition. Here's a book that will tell you why, in medically precise ways, your ancestors (maybe as recently as your grandparents) had a different respectful approach to food, and its preparation, that had an intimate connection to health at any age. There are essential factors all traditional cuisines have in common, no matter where they came from. She then compares/contrasts our fast-food, low-fat, carbohydrate laden food choices and the resultant up-welling of diabetes, obesity, heart disease and stroke.

Ultimately Dr. Shanahan's book is deeply informative about how our current nutritional trends effect physiologic function, right down to the cellular level, and every body tissue. Our ancestors may not have been able to articulate why traditional world cuisines worked, but they could see the results in their beautiful children having strong straight bones, straight strong teeth who grew up to be healthy strong members of their societies. Dr. Shanahan will lay it out for you ever so clearly and how you can recapture that ancestral food wisdom and scrap the health draining trends of the last 60 years that have only caused an increase in obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and a nation dependent on pharmaceuticals to cope with the end results of the government/ AHA/ ADA backed food pyramid.

Also recommended: Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage),Food, Inc.
on October 13, 2011
This book fills in so much physiology information for those who are going low-carb and or paleo nutrition. Dr Cate explains how traditional foods, the Four Pillars, actually convey information to your genes and how the genes use this information to nourish, build and energize your body. I appreciate her work and do so wish I had had this information while younger. I could then have had a slimmer, healthier body, better luck with fertility and transmitted better health to my only child and perhaps have had better fertility ).

Following Dr Cate's Four Pillars I immediately felt the difference. It sounds hokey, I know, but believe it, or try it yourself and you will know what I mean. My body simply became more comfortable and limber, I got to feel the feeling in that saying "comfortable in her skin" I believe that the whole idea of adding saturated fats back into your diet makes a tremendous amount of sense. The little physiology and biology I studied showed that cell membranes and other tissues as well as hormones are composed of these fats. You don't eat 'em your bod doesn't have them to build with. Seems pretty straightforward. It is, however, scary (as the goody two shoes follower that I am) to buck the conventional wisdom and medical recommendations and eat these forbidden fats as there is heart disease in my family.

Not any less important than feeling great is the fact that my body fat is being metabolized - 15 lbs in 5 weeks. Oh, yeah!

To Weston Price's amazing nutrition findings on traditional foods, Dr Cate adds information on the inter-generational effects of strong versus weak nutrition on the following generations. It is so very interesting.

Only problem is that this information may raise your ire and therefore your blood pressure! To realize that the medical / research community and conventional wisdom in partnership with the government have, over the years, steered people away from traditional foods and been absolutely ruining the health and well being of Americans now and into the next generations with their Standard American Diet and drugs is actually sickening. (See the interaction Dr Cate has when she tries to suggest studies to obstetricians) That the Weston Price research findings have been out there for decades and ignored is heartbreaking, in fact it is in a way criminal.

Bought a second copy as the one I lent out was not returned.

(Weston Price nourished parents give birth to healthy babies: [...])

Read this book if:

You want to feel wonderful
You want to lose weight
You want to feel more energetic
You plan to ever have children (men, young men, this does apply to you too, the sooner you beef up your genetic health the better for your children)
and
You want to give your children the healthiest possible start in life.

God bless Dr Cate.
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2011
This is the book I've been looking for! I was already suspicious of carbs and grains and sugar and in favor of grass-fed meat/dairy and fermented foods, after reading Weston Price and Paleo and anti-inflammatory and so on. But no one else clearly explains why vegetable oils and sugars are a problem, what their actual effects are, and comes up with a rational and believable whole picture without things I'd quibble about and inconsistencies. And plus, gives these guidelines with the appropriate levels of risk; there are great, good, iffy, bad, very bad, and truely awesomely bad things to eat, and a lot of books have only "good" and "bad" designations for all foodstuffs.

When it comes to specifics - like is pork okay, or potatoes vs. grains - there's not quite as clear rules; it's not a diet book in the sense many of these other books are, with lots of menus and recipes and lists of allowed and disallowed foods. But the book gives you enough information to figure it out for yourself.

I'm still boggled at the vegetable oil thing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2011
I was enticed to read this book from Sean Croxton's comments (UndergroundWellness.Com) in his pre-podcast clips of the book, even before his actual interview with Dr. Cate, he said he had read the book three times.... say what? .....three times??? That was enough for me, I needed to know more. I went onto Amazon.com entered the book title and chose the "surprise me search" option and was very intrigued by what came up. I ordered the book, received it, read it and I loved it. This book spoke directly to me. I lived in Hawaii for 26 years; my daughter was conceived, born and raised in Hawaii. I could relate to many of Dr. Cate's references of her Hawaii residence experiences. The book read like a novel, not the great nutrition text book that it actually is. I plowed through it so fast the first time I'm sure I missed a lot of the important nutrition points. I believe it really is the "Great Nutrition" text book of our time and I think it needs to be read slowly and thoroughly to understand all the important concepts. I do plan to re-read the book again slowly, I now understand Sean's need in having to read it three times, the first time you read it you plow through it as if it is the best page turner novel ever and then you have to re-think....wait a minute.....what did I miss? I need a re-do.....I will re-read it again and probably a third time myself! I loved this book! And I did send a copy to my daughter!
on February 8, 2012
I too have been a nutrition and exercise nut for years - trying low-carb, low-fat, vegan, Paleo and just about any other eating plan the made sense to me. I've read at least 50 books about health and nutrition, but as I aged and especially after hitting menopause, it became a struggle to stay healthy and feel good.

I decided to read Deep Nutrition and it didn't take long to understand this was a different type of nutrition book. This book explains how genetics, biology, health and nutrition are so entwined and inseparable and did it in a way that I finally understood what I had been doing wrong all these years. I never understood that I could eat what I thought was a well-balanced diet and still be starving at the cellular level. I also didn't realize why it was so important to consume only organic foods.

Being raised by my grandparents, we ate stews made from soup bones and ham hocks, all our meat was cooked and served on the bone, we drank full-fat milk, cooked with butter or bacon grease, and ate fruit and veggies from our garden - I now understand that it was about more then just saving money. It has been 5 months since adding raw milk and cream, organic free-range poultry, grass-fed, organic beef (on the bone and straight from the farm), organic fruits, berries and veggies to my diet and I feel better than I have in years. Building and maintaining muscle mass is easier and so is reducing fat, especially belly fat that gets harder to control as you age. When friends ask me how I do it, and I tell them what I'm eating, they really don't believe me.

I tell them, GIVE IT A TRY FOR A FEW MONTHS, like me, you will be a life-long convert. This book will change your life and is worth every penny. I have purchased several for family and friends.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I loved this book. After reading hundreds of such books in my studies, this one goes to the heart of the matter and says it all. Usually I want to get to the end of health and nutrition books so as I can get the full picture and start putting it into practice...or dismiss it as just another poorly written one...but this one was so well written I didn't want it to end...like a good story book.

The message is hard for many to swallow as it is counter to prevailing opinion and thus counter-intuitive, but as a practicing nutritionist I can say this kind of teaching is what always brings home the results.

A comment on some of the negative reviews regarding the book being focused on 'looks' as a marker for health. Social conditioning has created a paradoxical situation in society such that we focus so much effort, time and money on image and looks that we have degraded the true essence of it by reducing it to a retail commodity because we have bought the illusion that it makes us feel good...and it does temporarily.
Deep Nutrition places the real value of beauty in its proper context...the real (evoultionary) reason we value true beauty is because it equates to form and function of the body...we value form and function, and we then assign it the label 'Beauty'. The author simply takes the brave step of saying this out loud and explains why it happens, and how we can influence it, and how wise ancient peoples instinctively knew this, valued it, and figured out how to maintain it by eating the most nutritious foods.

That is not to say that when I looked on the face of my stroke crippled bed ridden grandfather, with his 86 years of wisdom carved into his wrinkled face, his atrophied legs, crumbling teeth and knobbly knuckles, that I didn't recognise true beauty. I saw a beautiful and caring soul, a warm and friendly personality, and I still miss him, but that doesn't mean I wouldnt have been happier to see him strong and in good physical form with full physical function...and more physically beautiful!

They are two different kinds of beauty...don't mix them up!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the BEST book on nutrition ever!!! I have read many many books on different diets,on veganism, vegetarianism, low carb,low fat, atkins, south beach, you name it, I've read it. Each time I had many questions that noone could answer. This book answers all my questions. It was very easy to read and understand and I am having a hard time putting it down!! I am currently reading it on my Kindle, but I am going to buy a copy for my son-in-law who is a diabetic. I want him to live a full and healthy life and be able to see his children grow up and get married. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for health and well being.
on July 14, 2011
There was so much information in this book that it is hard to know where to start.

People totally misunderstand things like MILK, half the people I know don't drink it because they think they are allergic to it: Catherine and Luke explain so much! We now drink raw milk; I'm shocked that we do compared to what I used to believe.

We eat so much better now that we know HOW to eat. Let Catherine and Luke tell you things that will totally surprise you and keep you well for the rest of your life... amazing things... so much insight and connectivity to the whole global situation... we are all linked... and what we eat makes a difference not only to ourselves but to the globe.
on September 30, 2011
I've been reading a stack of nutrition and health books lately, and while I think some outdo this one (e.g. Nora Gedgaudas' Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life), I have to say this one has been the most enjoyable. The Shanahans are great writers and I found myself just eating this one up (pardon the pun). The book has what I see as two main lines of force: epigenetics and traditional foods. Simply put, our genes are designed for certain foods, and when the signals from those foods are either absent or corrupted, or genes do some funky things. Our bodies just weren't designed for the pale substitutes we call 'food' - squeezed of all nutrition, chemically reconstituted, and packaged with a goodly portion of sugar and vegetable oils to make a finished product that will outlast the cockroaches (with less nutrition than one, to boot).

The sections on sugar and vegetable oils are very clear and make me wonder how anyone can knowingly and willingly ingest these substances. In that sense, this book does a great service to those who are becoming more conscious of what and how they eat. We aren't plagued with the "diseases of civilization" for no reason, after all... and the Shanahans show why this is the case. And the sections on beauty and facial symmetry were both fascinating and fun to read (I like how celebrity culture becomes a tool of teaching here!).

I do have a few reservations about the book, however. The Shanahans, while promoting traditional foods (on the bone, organ meats, fermented, and fresh) they seem unaware of a lot of the latest research on the problems with gluten (which affect enough of the population for me to think no one should be eating it) and plant foods in general (see Gedgaudas). And while they do mention some of the benefits of a low-carb diet, I think their presentation would've been a lot better with the insights to be gleaned from authors like Allan and Lutz (Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life) and Phinney and Volek (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable). But if they're all read together, I think these four books make a great set on what to eat and what not, and WHY. It certainly makes sense what they write, and to use another gastronomical pun, offers much food for thought!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2012
Nobody wants to believe that "a carb is a carb", but it is true. I have been eating farro, quinoa, whole grain breads and all healthy carbs because they are "good for you". Alas, I read this book and decided to give the Paleo diet a try. I didn't actually completely swear off carbs, but reduced them SUBSTANTIALLY. Low and behold, I lost 20 pounds in a matter of less than three months and am still shedding them. My fasting glucose improved and I haven't been hungry. The premise that Dr. Cate put's forth in this book spurred me to read more about diet and view some documentaries about nutrition (i.e.; FORKS OVER KNIVES). I do exercise and I also used a great free iPhone app (My Fitness Pal) to help me track my calories as well. I only wish I had stumbled across this book earlier! I feel great and I owe a great big thanks to Dr. Cate!