Deep Shadows & Brilliant Highlights
|New from||Used from|
Vinyl, Original recording remastered, May 12, 2015
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
In other words: no surprises but no disappointments either. Good rock music, well-arranged melodies, love'n'hate lyrics... business as usual!
The album starts greatly with a potential hit, 'Salt In Our Wounds' (typical HIM lyrics). Then proceeds with another catchy rock song, 'Heartache Every Moment'. It's unmistakably the HIM sound!
From track 3 on, it becomes more routine. Like 'we've heard this before', including the single 'Pretending' which is a good song but very ordinary. On track 6, the more silently rocking 'Close To The Flame', this routine becomes nearly a bit boring - but then the album goes uphill again.
'Beautiful' is another rather calm song, still in the usual HIM style but more thought through and polishedly arranged, and yet pretty straight forward.
'Don't Close Your Heart' is a very catchy song, also a potential hit since it sounds a lot like 'Pretending'...
...but the brilliant highlight on 'Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights' is the closing and pretty long 'Love You Like I Do', with its cool guitar sound, its amazing keyboards, its heavily slowish feel, its quiet rough sound!! Great!
So, all in all, another worthwhile HIM album, though continuing in the exact same style as before.
1. Salt In Our Wounds - 4/5 - This song definately does a great job at setting the tone for the rest of the album. The verses of the song are rather somber and laid back, but then it breaks into the chorus which is very melodic and much heavier. Sounds very much like an old 80's goth/rock love song. Reminds me alot of the cure.
2. Heartache Every Moment - 3/5 - I give this a 3 out of 5 simply because it's not bad, but it's not great. It's simply a good song. I definately like the verses in this song more than the chorus. The chorus kind of gets old very quickly, but the lyrics to the whole song are great. One of the more heavy songs on the album, though it has a touch of popness to it because of the bells being played in the backround.
3. Lose You Tonight - 3/5 - At first i probably would've given this song a 2 out of 5, but it is one of those songs that really grows on you. However, i'm beginning to go back to being sick of this song. The chorus is decent, but the song lacks the beauty and the energy of all the other songs on the album.
4. In Joy and Sorrow - 5/5 - What more can i say? This is my favorite song off of my favorite album done by my favorite (or atleast tied with favorite :P ) band. So basically it represents everything i like in music. It starts out by going into the lyrics almost right away, with no musical entrance or anything of the sort. As is the case with many HIM songs, the chorus is what makes this song what it is.Read more ›
This was a great album for HIM, although it's probably their most radio-friendly and commercial sounding album, it has all the deep lyrics and romantic melodies over heavy guitar. While most of the band's other albums are generally heavier or more experimental, this album focuses on the softer sides of the group...particuarlly on songs like "In Joy And Sorrow", "Close To The Flame" and "Beautiful". But as I said, some of the group's rock n' roll side is shown on songs like "Salt In Our Wounds" and "Lose You Tonight". And ofcourse songs like "Pretending" and "Heartache Every Moment" were big hits for the group. Oh, and anyone who is a fan of Bam Margera knows how big of a HIM fan he is. Bam's movie "Haggard" featured 5 songs off of this album! Anyway, this is a terrific album whether you're a fan of Type O Negative or The Cure.
01) "SALT IN OUR WOUNDS" - Begins with a Radiohead type drum-loop and starts slow, but builds to a rockin' chorus!
02) "HEARTACHE EVERY MOMENT" - One of the album's singles, heavy guitar layered by piano.
03) "LOSE YOU TONIGHT" - Just a good song to rock out to!
04) "IN JOY AND SORROW" - Another single, a slow-paced love song.
05) "PRETENDING" - The album's major single, a good rockin' love song.
06) "CLOSE TO THE FLAME" - The album's slowest song, similar to "One Last Time."
07) "PLEASE DON'T LET IT GO" - One of my favorites.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great album! Has all the classic gloomy-doomy feel as well as great love songs, plus it comes in a really cool sleeve.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Such brilliance all around in this album. Valo is so great at using his voice to make you feel the emotion he has. My favorite record from HIM, don't miss out!Published 3 months ago by ST
this record is excelent,.one of HIM's best out of the 8 albums they have under their belt, its a must have for all fans, i love this album and i know you will too,Published 7 months ago by jai
This album only express how great this band is, and Valo's talent, depth, and wisdom that can only come from a broken, wise, old soul. Love it.Published 11 months ago by Cynthia Dawn
Bought this for my husband for valentines day! Great buy! It came with a limited edition velvet sleeve and has 8 bonus tracks! Very happy with this!Published 12 months ago by Sarah Lee
MORE THAN SATISFIED !!!! THE BONUS TRACKS ARE A MUST FOR ANY H.I.M FAN!!! PLUS THE SOUND QUALITY IS OUT OF THIS WORLD !!!Published 12 months ago by H.I.M Lover