5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fantastic Album
Published on October 10, 2012 by Ethel Lubarsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Sera is better in a live performance than on CD
Published 15 months ago by Eugene P. Clarke Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fantastic Album, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (MP3 Music)
Sera Cahoone is one of the few artists who has introspective, emotionally open lyrics that do not turn me off. I suspect this is due to the fact that she is an amazing composer. Her songs are earthy, warm, original and extremely well laid out. I love this album, maybe not as much as only as the day is long, but that might be because I haven't heard it as much. Quite a few gems here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Audio CD)
As a big fan of Sera Cahoone's first two records, I was surprised to find I love this one even more. Strong vocals, steel, strings, banjo. It is authentic. It is not cheesy. It is simply beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Love it! Love it!, October 3, 2012
Steven D. Alexander "Alueim" (Beaumont, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Audio CD)
Sera has managed to steal my heart for the third time. I purchased her last two CD's. If you have read my previous review of "Only As The Day Is Long" I stated that I saw a picture of Sera in the Folio Weekly in Jacksonville, FL and thought that she look like she sings the songs that I will like so I bought her CD. I was overjoyed then and I am now. Her singing and music is so beautiful to me. Melodious, sweet, laid back, and especially, pure. I love the way a singular instrument will weave through the harmonies. Sometimes it's the violin, sometimes the banjo, sometimes the pedal steel. All on the background of such haunting, smooth, and heart-swelling melodies. It is so simple and so lovely. And when I hear her voice, it is so honest and from the heart. Just pure. The only reason I gave it four stars is because of of a couple things: One. That...I don't know what you call it but it makes her sound like she is in a tunnel. I think it is called Reverb. It takes away from the purity of the songs I think. I don't know if it is needed at all or that it's too much reverb. I am not a musician but I listen well. And...well, since I get the impression of her singing in Deer Creek Canyon...I think it's too big to reflect sounds like that. Another thing is the CD cover picture. I like the color and mood of the shot but not her sitting there looking at the camera. I am confused on what to look at. I can't see Sera "in" Deer Creek Canyon because she either takes my full attention OR the background takes it. They seem to be separate. Maybe if she was sitting down (I'm going to go out on a limb and say she is posing in Deer Creek Canyon) with her face towards the camera but eyes focused on something in the Canyon with the camera focused on her profile and the object of her gaze...Well, that's just my opinion. To me it would look like she is part of the music's namesake instead of being "other" than part.

This woman's singing and the music is getting better and better with every listen. I am so happy to have found her. When I heard the first few seconds of the first song "Worry All Your Life"...what is that? A Cello? Anyway, I was done. Hooked again. When I listen to "One To Blame"...Ohh my! All the songs are really good. Whoever did the arrangements is a genius. I guess it was Sera. That girl's got some depths.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluesy and Introspective Alt-Country, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Audio CD)
Sera Cahoone, a member of Seattle's SubPop record label, creates music that feels like an old house. The music on DEER CREEK CANYON is comfortable - it's not ostentatious or showing, but it's well-crafted and warm. This record sticks to typical instruments, usually adhering to acoustic guitar, (slight amounts of) bass, and drums. These songs feel lived-in but not over-worn. There's something safe about the way Cahoone's music feel -- not "safe" in a predictable way, but "safe" in a way that everything feels right where it should be.

Most of the music on DEER CREEK CANYON is a blend of indie-sensibilities and Western United States country, but all of this is through Cahoone's meticulous songcrafting. The album's lead single "Naked" might be a good starting point for anyone new to the singer/songwriter; it's an accessible song with a strong melody that's hard not to sing along with. Cahoone's greatest sensibilities converge with "One to Blame," a bluesy, heartbreaking ballad that feels simply perfect in its execution. The chord changes matched with Cahoone's delivery make it one of the best songs on the album.

I wasn't taken by some of the more upbeat tracks here ("Nervous Wreck," for example,) but when Cahoone slows down, she's magnetic. Despite a few week points, DEER CREEK CANYON is certainly worth your time if you enjoy folk, country, or just female-centric adult contemporary. I haven't gotten around to listening to her previous two albums, but if DEER CREEK CANYON is any indication, I've been missing out. Essential tracks for sampling/download: "Naked," "Deer Creek Canyon," and "One to Blame."

3.0 out of 5 stars Sera is better in a live performance than on CD, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Audio CD)
I love her music but something is missing in her CD's vs. live performances. The studio performances are over sound engineered and her wonderful voice gets lost in the mixing. I listen to her NPR Tiny Desk Concert and KEXP performances all the time on YouTube and her Couch Song video is great. But I can pass on this and her last CD "only as the day is long" in which the drummer drowns out Sera and she sounds like she's singing from the studio parking lot. Poor production for an extremely talented performer. Sera all you need is your lyrics, voice, and a guitar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, May 4, 2014
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Audio CD)
Brilliant. Her live sets are better (5 stars), but the album is close to perfect at 4 stars. Well played, indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Audio CD)
I’m not at all into country music but I consider this to be quite crossover. Country and bluegrass influences are apparent in Sera’s music but it’s the vocal itself that contains all the surprise. In her singing are unexpected layers of mood and depth that make her music transcend all stylistic boundaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed once again., May 8, 2013
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (Vinyl)
I was an instant fan when I first heard her voice. Deer Creek Canyon delivered what I expected and more.
Her first two albums were great, and DCC seems to step it up a notch with a lot more melody and great lyrics that seem a bit more personal and mature. From "Worry all your life","Naked", and "Every Little Word" to "Here with me", it was all music to my ears, amazing music that is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heard a great voice . . ., February 10, 2013
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (MP3 Music)
I was watching "Hart of Dixie" one evening and heard her music played in the background. Love this album because it is about life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Deer Creek Canyon (MP3 Music)
Very good for the price. Sounds like Sarah McLaughlan on several songs. Nice easy listening music and price was right.

Deer Creek Canyon
Deer Creek Canyon by Sera Cahoone (Audio CD - 2012)