5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty sweet turn out
The most important part of any tanning, is fleshing. If you get a good fleshed hide, removed membrain and all this product will do it's job. Simple instructions on the back of the bottle.

Published on June 5, 2012 by Blacktailketchikan

3.0 out of 5 stars If your not an armature like me, it may be
So the hide doesn't stink anymore, but the back is really yellow & greasy. Not sure if I did everything correctly though. If your not an armature like me, it may be ok
Published 3 months ago by West-Coast-Bluenoser

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty sweet turn out, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.

I stretched my bottle to its fullest. Tanned one small goat hide And a large one too. Then I kept about 1/3 of the bottle for a future project. Hides turned out nice and soft. I just had to work them a bit more.

Great product

4.0 out of 5 stars Full Review, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
I used this product to successfully tackle a pretty large project: Tanning the hide from a 290-pound llama. It was quite an adventure, as I'd only used primitive brain tanning methods before, and on much smaller hides to boot. Even on animals as small as coyotes, brain tanning is a lot of work. This turned out to be just *slightly* less work than brain tanning, but has similar results.

I started with the whole llama, which was donated by a local farm. In exchange for skinning and butchering it, I was allowed to take home the hide and several pounds of meat (which tastes comparable to elk and is very good). I admit that it took a while to skin the animal because it was quite fat, and with me being a 120-pound woman, hanging the dead weight of such a large animal from the barn rafters to make goings easier was rather out of the question. When the hide was finally off the carcass, I took it home and stretched it out on the deck overnight, so I could flesh it in the morning.

With the amount of fat on the hide, fleshing was a tedious process. I used several different carbon steel knives and a hunk of leftover foam from a taxidermy deer form as a kind of makeshift fleshing beam. Once this was finally done, I proceeded to salt the hide on our deck (much to the chagrin of our neighbors in the condo next door) as I live in a small unit and didn't have much room indoors. My tiny condo was hardly the proper place for such a large project, but I managed to make it work. Don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone else in similar living conditions; this is certainly a line of work which requires more space, but more space costs money and I don't have much of that.

The Trapper's Hide Tanning Formula instructions say to go straight to the salt bath after the fleshing and salting, but I took the dried hide and fleshed it even further with a sandpaper bit on a dremel tool. Not only did this remove a lot of extra fat from the llama, it also made the thicker areas of the hide more pliable. I then soaked the pelt in the bathtub with some dawn dish soap to help soak out even more of the fat. Seeing dirt in the bathwater, I shampooed and conditioned the fur at this point, too. Then let out the water and re-filled it for the salt bath.

After it was somewhat dry, I took it back out on the deck and rubbed the whole thing down with nearly two bottles of Trapper's Hide Tanning Formula. I folded it up, brought it back inside, and let it sit in the corner for about 20 hours before bringing it out onto the deck again to unfold it and expose the leather side of the pelt.

As it dried, I broke the hide over the edge of the chest freezer, which worked pretty well, but took three days. As of now, the hide is in very good shape and didn't present any issues during the tanning process. It could probably use a bit more breaking to make it even more flexible, but I'm pleased with the tan so far.

However, next time I tan a hide, I'll certainly be trying out TruBond paint-on tan for backskins and wallhangers. The makers of this product claim that the breaking process is not needed with their formula and I'd like to give that a test, because I have a second llama in the freezer that I need to tan yet! I'll also be doing it at a buddy's place instead of here at the condo, because the neighbors are pissed and my buddy's shop has a lot more room. Hopefully it'll turn out just as good if not better than the pelt I tanned with Trapper's Hide Tanning Formula.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hide Tanner, April 13, 2011
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
Simply the best product out there...great value with fabulous results! Would recommend this to anyone who is interested in preserving their deer hides! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
Ive bought this item from deer processing plants and what not and i love it.... you get your hide ready, slap this formula on the hide... stretch the hide next few days and one cured the hide is soft, not hard at all except maybe the edges. i swear by this stuff, the results come out just as if you had brain tanned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff,, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
I am very novice at this, and I managed to actually tan a hide. Easy instructions, easy to use. Hard on the hair, so if your tanning hair on, careful to keep this off the the hair, or wash it off quickly if you get it on it

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
this is some of the best stuff i have used i like it and i will use it agian. thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars If your not an armature like me, it may be, August 27, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, March 28, 2014
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
AS far as I know this was just what was needed to begin a hobby in tanning leather. As the heading says, it was a much appreciated gift

3.0 out of 5 stars hare to rate, December 12, 2013
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
don't really no how to rate it, becuse it could have be operator error... I followed the directions but the hair keep coming off, when I tried to strech it. I ll try agian on somthing smaller.lol

3.0 out of 5 stars Good not Great, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
Expensive and works just as well as alum and salt. Probably wont use it again, I'll just mix up the old fashioned tanning solution, but if I were to be lazy, this is how to do it.

Deer Hunter's & Trapper's Hide & Fur Tanning Formula 8 oz.
$15.95