5.0 out of 5 stars Great to watch alone, great to share with others
Published on December 3, 2008 by Amber Karlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best season but still . . .
Published on August 2, 2008 by Satia Renee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to watch alone, great to share with others, December 3, 2008
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
I originally bought this DVD because I had a hard time getting my students interested in poetry. Words on pages were boring to them, or emotionless, or archaic. When I first showed them a few pieces from the first couple of episodes, they were immediately sucked in. They were hearing people speak eloquently and beautifully about the realities my students often faced in their own lives. Many of the poems are funny, which I think surprised my class as much as anything else. Now we regularly return to the series to watch new poems and then compose our own. It's a life-saver for a class that needs a little creative passion. [A word of warning: often the most powerful poems on the show are also the most explicit, in themes or language or both. Choose carefully before showing them to students or any younger people.]

As for personal enjoyment, I think this collection beats out all the poetry books I have. Even though I can appreciate Frost and Shakespeare and other canonical poets, the passion that the Def Poets bring to the stage adds a new dimension to spoken word that I find really enjoyable. I highly recommend this DVD (and the other seasons) for anyone who appreciates spoken word and poetry, even if hip-hop isn't your thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure power...pure poetry!, June 11, 2007
Corey Mabin (Beaver Falls, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
If you're looking for a powerful show, something that hits your heart and lets your soul fly free...you can stop right here! You have found what you're looking for in the Def Poetry DVD Collection. Poets have forever been everything from prophets to teachers in this world, and now, it's been brought to light once again by Russell Simmons and the rest of his HBO staff in this series that makes you explore every emotion you've experienced and some that you didn't even know about. I challenge every fan of poetry...come enjoy this, live this and love this...there's no other option in this.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, June 25, 2010
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
enjoyable, sumthing you can watch more than once to move you. I get a new understanding and perspective ea.time.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
If you're into spoken word, you already know. I love seasons one, two, three and four!! Love Mos Def more!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best season but still . . ., August 2, 2008
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
Spread out over two dvds, this fifth season of Def Poetry is not necessarily the best of the bunch. There are some wonderful moments (Alicia Keys and Nikki Giovanni) and some unsurprisingly good moments (Suheir Hammad and Beau Sia both returning along with some others) but over all the "big name" guests left me wondering what was the point? Personally, I would have rather seen some younger unknown artists than clutter the stage with someone's fame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry Un-Real!, June 23, 2008
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
This one gives you a taste of the comedy, drama, and even some action. There were times where you feel as if you could cry or like were traveling to distant realms of the different lobes of the mind. I love to have my mind tickled with the fickle of sweet def poets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everytime, April 6, 2008
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
The poets just keep getting better with every season. Plus the stars do some really good poetry,,,

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Program, February 8, 2008
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
I love this series. It's all about the words, the flashy TV effects are pretty much stripped down. The chosen poets are fantastic. Regulars like Black Ice have a wonderful way with ideas and are brilliant word-smiths. This show excites the mind in ways no other show can.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE IN SPOKEN WORD, June 2, 2007
MacPhiMac "MACPHIMAC" (APO, AP United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Def Poetry - Season 5 (DVD)
I REALLY WISH THIS SERIES WOULD HAVE CONTINUE, THERE ARE BEAUTIFUL ARTIST EXPRESSING FEELINGS FROM THE HEART,MIND AND SOUL. IF YOU LISTEN YOU WILL BE TOUCHED. PEACE

Def Poetry - Season 5
Def Poetry - Season 5 by Stan Lathan (DVD - 2007)
$12.97 $6.34