Customer Discussions > MTV Unplugged in New York forum

Define going corporate America

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2009 12:44:59 PM PDT
Call me an idiot if you want, but I would like to know what exactly it means when a band goes corporate America. Does it mean boring, mainstrean, or what the government wants them to be? Get creative and please give examples.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 4:40:24 AM PDT
I think it means someone going out of their way to express their dislike for anything mainstream. People talk about how Nirvana was a ripoff of the Pixies, or Dinosaur Jr. etc. etc. etc., but neither/none of those bands had/have the tightness in their compositions that Nirvana had. D-Jr. and The Pixies' music was usually a big sprawling mess of sound, whereas even though Nirvana had a little "noise-rock" element, there was usually a lot more definition in, like, "what exactly IS the melody here?" kinda thing...of course, The Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. just within those examples, there's a bit of a difference in THEIR cohesiveness, but my point is neither of them had quite the compositional definition that Nirvana had. a Band "selling out" or "going corporate America" doesn't really mean anything specific, it's just expressing the perception of the person saying it...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 9, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
MTV Unplugged in New York [Vinyl]
MTV Unplugged in New York [Vinyl] by Nirvana (Vinyl - 2013)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (571)