The Little River Band were a hugely successful Australian band that had a string of infectious Top 10 hits in the late seventies and early eighties. But this so-called DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (which was released two years ago in Europe!) doesn't warrant replacing 2000's 18-track GREATEST HITS.

Consider this: GREATEST HITS included all thirteen of the band's Top...
Published on June 23, 2005 by Steve Vrana

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic collection.
Published on August 1, 2005 by Kclark75

4.0 out of 5 stars + 1/2 stars...Not Definitive Enought to Replace 2000's 'Greatest Hits', June 23, 2005
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)

Consider this: GREATEST HITS included all thirteen of the band's Top 40 U.S. hits; DEFINITIVE COLLECTION omits their final U.S. hit "You're Driving Me Out of My Mind" (No. 35, 1983). GREATEST HITS includes all three Hot 100 hits that failed to crack the Top 40--"I'll Always Call Your Name" (No. 62, 1977), "It's Not a Wonder" (No. 51, 1980), and "Playing To Win" (No. 60, 1985); DEFINITIVE COLLECTION only includes "Playing To Win."

Of course, these are minor complaints, and both compilations hit all the highlights; but I'm going to stick with GREATEST HITS as the more complete collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll throw away the Greatest Hits and pick up this one!, June 15, 2005
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
I'll throw away that Greatest Hits album that I bought at Las Vegas last year and pick up this one!!!!!! This is more comprehensive and tells you more about the band than past albums! All the hits they had from 1975 to 1983 are on here as well as some minor post-'83 songs that didn't chart high. They were one of the best bands of the late '70s with an emphasis on well structured songs. Some people say that they sounded mellow, but they rocked hard to me! They even gave the already popular Eagles a run for their money. I still love Reminiscing, Lonesome Loser, Take It Easy On Me, the funky Man on Your Mind,the R&B sounding Happy Anniversary, the similar songs of Lady and Cool Change, and the underrated We Two--this band had an endless string of hits for about 5 to 6 years straight until they had run out of steam. It's good to hear that they still perform despite band member changes and conflicts. This is a good introduction to today's audiences of how huge this band was in the '70s with this compilation. An Australian band with this American-based sound that's still unbelievable to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has what everyone wants to know!!!!, July 22, 2005
J. R Sategna (Martinez, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
This album is great--all the hits are here including the long awaited long version of It's A Long Way There (Remastered with that great guitar solo) This will make everyone happy including Richard Thompson,the reviewer from Texas (6/24/05) The set includes a lot of great songs, all remastered. But, if you are a Little River Band fan like me and saw them in concert many times in the sixties-seventies-you probably like all their songs and demand a Box Set!!!! Lets hope one is going to come up soon for these guys deserve a box set of all their songs with unreleased material,too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic collection., August 1, 2005
Kclark75 (Baytown, Tx.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
At last we finally get the "Long" version of "It's A long Way There". I must admit it was worth the wait. I always thought the single version was missing a few things. I was right. The only downside is that you get the single version of "Playing to Win" as to where the 2000 collection has the album cut. Oh well you cant be too picky as the album overall is damn good.I must admit that I would have combined the tracks from this and the 2000 "Greatest Hits" Collection. Now that would have been a "definitive collection". All in all this is a fantastic compilation for longtime fans and newcomers alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Everybody Really Wants to Know, June 24, 2005
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Now that there is another greatest hits compilation of the Little River Band, what everybody really wants to know is: Is the version of "It's a Long Way There" the full-length original album version (9 plus minutes) or the standard single edit that is around 4 1/2 minutes. This is a big selling point for those who have been searching for the longer version in a "remastered" mordern format. To those people that have already purchased this disc, Please let all of us know, so we can decide if this is a must-by addition to our collections. Thank-you

4.0 out of 5 stars Take me back!, April 26, 2009
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Unlike other reviewers, I cannot cite statistics or dates. I can only speak personally. Way back in the '80's I bought an audio cassette by the Little River Band and loved it so much, I literally played it into breaking and never replaced it. A few weeks ago I accidentally clicked into a section of Amazon that popped up a Little River Band CD! Voila, I said. Let's relive past music. Instead of buying THE CD I loved so much, I went for the "Definitive Collection."

You know how certain songs make certain events that happened at that same time period pop up in your mind? That's how "It's a long way there," the first song did. But I couldn't remember an event, just a general aura of an era. It was like running into someone you used to know really well, but just don't have anything in common any more. So I played through the CD, skipping about one-third of the songs. I was disappointed. Where was the music I so loved?

I also vaguely remember a controversy about the lead singer. Coming into their popularity at the very end, I didn't appreciate what the hoopla was about because I really liked whoever the second lead was. I bought "Definitive Collection" to have both singers to compare them, but the liner notes don't go into that information.

After listening to the entire CD several times now, I'm comfortable with it and play all the songs.

After finally remembering to google the group, I discovered that John Farnham is the singer whose voice I like so much, especially in "Down on the Border" and "We Two." In fact, the history of Little River Band is fascinating in its own right. Their name was taken from a road sign in Australia (the band is Australian) and membership changed fairly often because of extensive touring in the United States.

What sets this band apart from others is lush harmonies, actual melodies, and soft rock.

Oh? That other CD? It is Little River Band - Greatest Hits and it is as good as ordered!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection from a Great Band, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
"It's a Long Way There" is not only my favorite Little River Band song but one of my all time favorite songs, period. Thoughtful lyrics, awesome guitar riffs, and great singing typical of the Little River Band. This is a Great Collection of Songs from a Great Band.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a Great CD, February 3, 2009
Ray Thorne (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
This Definitive Collection by the Little River Band is a great CD, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes their music. This album is a good representative sampling of their music from the mid 1970's to the early 1980's.

I got this disc because it has the long version of "It's A Long Way There", which I haven't heard in many years. It also has some other seldom heard songs such as: "Curiosity Killed The Cat", "Emma", "Home On Monday", and "We Two". The song "We Two" is a great one. I only heard it played on radio once or twice in the early '80's, and then never heard it again. I'm surprised it wasn't a big hit!

My only complaint is that I did have to return my first copy of this CD to Amazon because it was defective. The first 3 or 4 tracks skipped terribly, but they were gracious enough to allow me to return it, and sent me a replacement. So far so good with the second disc. Has anyone out here had a similar problem with this particular CD? Maybe it was just a fluke.

This collection has a lot of songs from Sleeper Catcher on it as well. I would also highly recommend their double CD featuring the albums Sleeper Catcher and Time Exposure. They are both excellent choices as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serendipity, pure and simple., October 5, 2007
Dancing Man (Atlanta, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
I waited until the longer version of "It's A Long Way There" was available and at 8:39 of pure joy it was well worth the wait. I had one or more LP's way back when (those were plastic things that warped if you left them in the car). How they ever got away from my collection is beyond me. Now they are back and I am all the more happy for it. Other reviewers have made note of several other of their wonderful songs so I'll mention one of my favorites, "The Night Owls" - very enjoyable for it's highly danceable beat. Do a slow EC swing, or fast WC, or Samba or even Cha your heart out and know the joy these guys can transmit. Serendipity, pure and simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, April 29, 2014
One click download, and almost instant MP3 music on my PC! This isn't the first download I've done from Amazon.com. Highly recommended!

Definitive Collection
Definitive Collection by Little River Band (Audio CD - 2002)