5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound from a slim, low profile speaker
5 stars based on a fuller range sound coming from a slender design speaker used in a small room when large box towers are not an option. I still prefer large box towers when space is not an issue but those with space limitations should check these out.

1. Packaging was very good, double boxed, secure and no issues with shipping.

2. The STS was an...
Published on June 12, 2009 by Mike Kay

3.0 out of 5 stars A Former Def Tech Owner
Published 3 months ago by L. Brightful

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound from a slim, low profile speaker, June 12, 2009
Mike Kay (Binghamton, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Definitive Technology Mythos STS 120v Supertower Speaker (Single, Black) (Electronics)

1. Packaging was very good, double boxed, secure and no issues with shipping.

2. The STS was an upgrade from my old fronts, Mythos ones. I read great reviews online about the STS and ST and was impressed when I heard them in person. The upgrade made a big difference, the STS really do sound like big speakers with a wide dynamic range which was missing with the Mythos Ones (even with a supercube 1), the Ones sounded thin and small. If space is an issue or the wife won't let you get those big box towers then check out the STS and ST, I was pleasantly surprised.

3. I'm running STS as fronts, Mythos 10 as a center, supercube 1, gems as surrounds in a small room (corner placement of plasma TV). No option but to use low profile slim tower fronts. Audyssey Multieq was run and then I fine tuned with a SPL meter. Audyssey set the STS at 40 hz crossover, Mythos 10 to 80 hz crossover, and the gems at 120 hz. I set the STS to small (crossover 40 Hz) so the very low frequencies go to the sub. Upgrade was well worth the price.

4. STS fronts are great for watching TV in stereo, bass is tight and fast, not boomy. It no longer sounds like TV speakers or lifestyle speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars STS's, September 27, 2009
Edward III "Alpha Sixx" (Military/ all over the world) - See all my reviews
I own 4 Mythos STS's a center channel Mythos Ten 2 Mythos gem xl's and 2 super cube reference sub woofers along with a Denon 4308CI for a full 7.2 setup. These speakers are unbelievable. The bass my 4 STS's combined put out is very powerful!!! so powerful that I really have no need to turn on my 2 subs which are 1,800 watts apiece. With the 4 STS's combined I have a total of 1,200 watts of subs. The sound I get is very very forceful and in your face!! You don't just hear your favorite music and movies you feel it!!! God help me and my neighbors if I decide to turn on my two Super cube Reference Subs. Voice quality is phenomenal sometimes it sounds as if the person is right there in the room with me. They excel at every type of music And when I say I listen to everything I mean it, They do a perfect job from the synthesizer's of the 80's and some of my favorites like the Cars and The Talking Heads to the organs of Janis Joplin and Al Green and the great sounds of Thin Lizzy the Beatles the Doors Pink Floyd and the guitars of Queen and Iron Maiden to the Indie beats of the Strokes and the electronic sounds of Ladytron to the most gorgeous voices of P.O.E and Nina Persson from the Cardigans to the trip hop beats of Portishead and even some classical like the piano in Mozart's Moonlight Sonata or the orchestra of Beethoven's 7th Symphony 2 movement to the punk rock beats of the Misfits and the Spanish acoustical guitars and beautiful voice of Ana Gabriel to some of the oldie's like the Fleetwoods Roy Orbison or Elvis. All around these are very very very strong speakers I have no complaints they have made me enjoy my music and movies all over again. I can hear details that I have never heard before in my favorite albums. With these Speakers you don't just hear the music and movies you feel it you are surrounded and immersed by it. And on top of everything they are the perfect size they fit anywhere and they are absolutely gorgeous! And as for placement because of the built in amps they carry that is not an issue at all that is why I have 2 Super cube Reference Subs. But the 4 STS's combined can deal out some pretty good house rattling bass on their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers!, November 9, 2011
I'm just using a pair in stereo now, and these speakers sound great. The bass is awesome. I like the fact that I didn't have to mess with crossover frequency - it's built in. Also, having two "subwoofers" minimizes the chances of a bass void or peak in my room. They look good, too, but might be a little "tippy" if the cat takes an interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, most impressive, September 4, 2009
Michael J. Reid (Santa Ana, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm not an audiophile, however, I've done research over the years to narrow down which speakers to get after my twelve year old Infinity towers were retired. I am very impressed with these Def Tech Mythos STS speakers. It didn't hurt that they were on sale for half price on Amazon because they are silver. The Mythos STS speakers have amazing clarity and detail. I was wondering how the built-in subwoofers would perform and I was not disappointed. It's only been a little over a month, but so far I am very happy these speaker's performance on both movies and music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Customer service, February 16, 2014
Ke Zhang (Chicago, IL, US) - See all my reviews
If you are reading these, you probably already know how fantastic these speakers are. I'd like to comment on the customer service. In short, the post-sale service is just as fantastic. I had the base of these speaker damaged due to moving. Some of the metal feet attached to the granite base came off. It's completely my own fault (or rather the moving company's fault) but Definitive replaced them FREE of charge. This is excellent customer service! Thank you Definitive! All my current speakers are definitive-made (7.1 in the basement and 5.1 in the living room), and it appears that my future ones will be too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved a big problem, June 6, 2011
I'm building a home theater into a multi-use room. Hard to describe why, but there is no place to put a dedicated sub-woofer. We had a prior theater with a dedicated sub and well placed 5.1. Our new setup in the new house with these Mythos speakers works at least as well as the old house with the dedicated sub.

I paired these with Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL Speaker (Single, Black) for the rears, and Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker (Single, Black) for the center. We are very please with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR better at music than you'd think . . ., December 18, 2012
I've never really enjoyed writing reviews of audio components, because, quite frankly, the hobby is so subjective as to make even the most well-informed review pretty dubious. That's why I no longer subscribe to any of the audio rags or read any e-zines or anything like that. I trust my ears and nothing else. Perhaps an extremist view, but nonetheless one that has served me very well in the last 5-6 years. I just wish I had had that attitude when I was buying 25k amps and 50k speakers in the `90s and early 2000s; I would've been far better off in the long run. The list of top-shelf speakers I've owned over the years is a long one: Sonus Faber, Von Schweikert, Pipedreams, Wilson, Quad, Linn, Proac, Totem, Lumen White, Kharma, Accapella, and many others I can't even recall right now.

Now, I'm not gonna sit here and say that these Definitive STS's have made me forget all of the speakers above. Certainly not. Each of those was/is capable of things the DefTechs just aren't. They're also many multiples of what the Defs cost. However, these STS's do some things that should be impossible for even many $10,000 speakers to achieve. Paired with my Coda integrated, a modified Oppo universal, Jena Labs cabling and power conditioning, and Marantz SA-7S1, these things really come alive, proving to me that they're more than good enough to take full advantage of better and better gear upstream. Pretty impressive for what, at first blush, looks like yet another flashy A/V speaker.

Conventional wisdom has it that the STS's are a great HT speaker that is pretty decent at music. I think this is selling the speaker far short. Mate it to great gear and you'll get great music sound. Pair it to crap and you'll get crap. Garbage in, garbage out. I own a fair number of audiophile CDs and SACDs, and I'll tell ya, these DefTechs have left me smiling much more often than not. They shine on great recordings and reveal poor ones CLEARLY for what they are (but not to an excruciating degree). Resolution, timbre, dynamics, and (especially) bass are truly impressive for such a small speaker. I've heard and owned many speakers, most costing at least twice what the STS's do, that don't do as many things as well.

Overall, the Definitive STS's are wonderful speakers, regardless of price. They're not just a great *value* speaker, they're a great speaker, PERIOD. As I said earlier, I've owned or heard more than a few of the big boys out there, and even if the STS's don't quite scale the heights of what those speakers do best, it's damn near miraculous that they sound as good as they do. I used to think that more money equated to better sound when talking hi-fi, but the Definitive STS has changed my mind totally. Sometimes that old saw about "bigger is better" holds true, but these things defy that convention more than any sanely priced speaker I've encountered lately. They're so good that I downsized my infinitely more expensive "reference" rig and built a more modest system around the STS's, and I used the money I pocketed to buy close to 1,000 CDs and SACDs!!! The new rig doesn't do everything the old, big-money system did, but I'm honestly enjoying music even more now. And the STS's are no small reason why.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Former Def Tech Owner, March 21, 2014
A few years ago I began my journey into the world of high-end sound. After a *ton* of research I decided to begin my journey with Definitive Technology. I began with their Mythos product line to build out a 5.1 system. That included a pair of Mythos STS fronts and a Def Tech Trinity sub, which is the only Def Tech product I have kept. Initially, I was highly impressed with the STS Towers. They were sleek, attractive and I *thought* they delivered great sound.

However, I then began to get introduced to a number of other mid-range to high-end manufacturers. I began to notice a stark difference in sound quality with my Def Tech system. The sound was richer, fuller and even WITHOUT a "powered" subwoofer the low end was more impressive. I began to get sound envy and ended up selling my Def Tech system, with the exception of the Trinity sub. (The Trinity is a very good sub. It's not as good as a Velo DD-18 or the SVS PB Ultra, but very good.)

I ended up buying Paradigm Studio 100s. The price difference wasn't that much higher BUT the sound quality was night/day better. The Def Tech products come with a lot of marketing hype. They also "look" good. However, relative to several other manufacturers within their price range I have found products that (to my ears) are fuller, far more accurate, less tinny and with appreciably more bass than the STS.

When I began the journey I would have rated these as 5 stars. Now, I can only give then 3. I would encourage folks trying to make this decision to invest time at a local audio store and to listen to range of speakers. DO NOT rely solely on what you read online. Use the "ear test" to make the decision. After personally doing that and living with a pair of these, I have to give these speakers 3 stars. They are capable, but fall down relative to some other peers ... at least to my ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong!, March 17, 2013
I was a little nervous they would be too large, but overall size wise they aren't too obtrusive. The fact is though even if they were the absolute phenomenal sound would out weigh it. I have them hooked to a Marantz 7007 amp, it's a great combo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for music, cable and movies, November 26, 2012
Tim Chao (Burbank, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I paired this with a pioneer sc-61. I have experience with the sound of these pioneer receivers with the D-amps. Music sounds so detailed. I also enjoy movie dialogue. It's very clear.

Rate and Discover Movies