The "Definitive" Q&A Thread! Don't have an Onza yet? Have questions? Look no further (checking in often!)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2011 7:54:45 PM PDT
Let me start this off by debunking a few myths thus far, which I am seeing rampantly spread across forums.

First of all, the FPS Freek line of thumbstick accessories WILL NOT IN ANY WAY fit the Onza TE. It is obstructed by the tension adjustment knob, and put a TON of unnecessary stress on the stick.

I have seen it mentioned that "it's not necessary" to use the FPS Freek with the Onza, and that is just not going to be true for everyone. Are you a FPS Freek user? Does it improve your game? If yes, maybe wait for Freek to toss out a Onza revised model (I am sure the demand will be there)

The tension system on the TE, simply makes it harder to push the analog stick outwardly to its boundary. It does NOT increase the speed or accuracy at which the stick aims. (More on that later)

The SE Onza, WILL accommodate the Freek, but it is not a functional pair, because the sticks on the standard edition are already (roughly) as high as a standard MS 360 stick+Freek. In other words, you would need Mammoth fingers to reach the stick with any comfort, and even then... why?

To recap, don't rush out and get a TE if you are a DIE HARD Freek user. You will be dissapoint. That said, I love my Freeks, but I am loving the TE as is.

Second on the list is the so called "slow turn" that the Onza is suffering out of the box. I have seen several topic about this on several forums, stating that a dremel is the only answer to this problem, and here is the thing:

Razer has issued a statement, regarding this matter, and it is not a flaw, but and intended effect. The default setting for aiming calibration on the onza, is 90 degrees, like the stock MS controller. That setting CAN be changed, without physically modding the controller, so don't get your dremel out just yet.

It is a simple 2-step process, and directions can be found here:
http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/221635-fix-slow-turn-on-the-razer-onza/
Another myth busted.

Next let's tackle the placement of the programmable buttons, back, start, and the shape of the triggers. There is a laundry list of complaints out there, stating that the programmable buttons are obstructive, and should have been put elsewhere. I have even seen a few threads stating that it is too hard to hit rb and lb. This is simply not true.

While it MAY have been more effective to place these buttons on the back of the controller, these guys are NOT in the way. LB, and RB have a little "tab" towards their periphery which allows the user to press them without ever removing your fingers from R and L.

It IS a bit crowded due to the programmable buttons, but after some playtime you will be comfortable with it.

Back and start have been moved to the bottom of the controller! this seems like such a small thing, and it is never talked about, but for ME it is the most terrible aspect of the controller. It will take you some time to get used to reaching down to check your scores in game, or reaching down to hit start in a game like Lost Planet 2 for example, where it is used as an integral part of gameplay (press and hold start to heal).

The triggers ave a very sharp curve to them, much like the curve of a REAL trigger, on a real firearm. At first I was not a fan, but after some time with it, I am noticing that the design reduces hand fatigue exponentially.

Another quick mention about buttons, is that the dpad, while better than anything MS has to offer, is NOT perfect by any means. The separation of the directions into "island" style buttons is GREAT for FPS, Racing, or even RTS games where on-the-fly option selects are necessary. A good example of this is Monday Night Combat, where the D pad is used to both build turrets and upgrade your character mid match. These actions need to be done quickly and precisely, and I cannot count all of the times that I have built a Long Shot when I wanted a Rock-It turret. That is not gonna happen with this controller. You will not however, be enjoying arcade games with this one, or I should say, at least not with greater ease that MS controller. Even a game like Pac Man CE DX felt awkward when using this d pad.

I am kinda running out of ideas here, so feel free to ask something... Though I guess I should mention the build quality. I have seen several comments that the Onza feels like a cheap toy, and that is SIMPLY not true. In MY hands the Onza feels solid, and substantial. It feels built to last, and due to its ergonomic design, a far cry more comfortable that anything MS has on the market today.

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 8:45:23 PM PDT
Noah Rhee says:
About Slow Turn,
Here is a video that shows you how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8UUfJEJ5pU
Same thing as you said, only in video.

Also, I have heard some myths about the Razer Onza having rapid fire:
This is not true, AT ALL! While it may have been there in the early prototype versions, it does not exist on the standard or tournament editions of the Razer Onza.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 10:37:34 AM PDT
Amazonian says:
The reviewer above claims you can assign right stick to left MFB and left stick to right MFB. A commenter says you cannot, and I think I read a preview a while back that said the same. Care to comment?

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 2:32:28 AM PDT
To understand whether the Razer needs the FPS Freeks you have to understand why FPS Freeks were made in the first place. They are definitely not needed because there isn't the dead zone which exists on the standard Xbox controller. Also the same reason for why they are useless on a PS3 controller.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 9:37:54 AM PDT
S. Ledford says:
I saw somewhere that if you tightened the resistance to a certain point it disabled the click down on the thumb sticks. Is this true ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2011 4:14:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2011 4:17:17 PM PDT
Simon,
While this IS the reason that the freek was created, it also gives you more leverage on the stick, plain and simple. The dead zone on a wired MS controller is not terrible with slow turn modding. Some games are, in effect, just sorta finicky. Take Bad Company for example, before the onza, I could NOT dial in headshots without strafing if I didn't have the Freek engaged. This is not the case for many other games I have played (COD, Halo, Gears, etc.)

That said, I was mainly focusing my thoughts on those of us who use the Freek 100% of the time. It becomes a muscle memory. I was simply trying to say that anyone who has completely trained their hands to be used to that extra clearance and leverage, may have a hard time adjusting to NOT using them.

S. Ledford,
That is not true, simply put. Even with the tension dialed all the way in, the "stick buttons" work as they should

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 9:42:49 AM PDT
S. Ledford says:
too bad. I was looking forward to disabling that and putting the click as one of the programmable buttons.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 6:00:40 AM PDT
I am not sure I understand your concern. You CAN assign the stick button to the RMB, and the stick buttons provide more resistance than the ones on a standard MS controller.

Moreover, the sticks are SUPER sensitive... If you are pressing the stick button on "accident" with this controller, you're doing it wrong.

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 8:38:06 AM PDT
Noah Rhee says:
Is it me, or do the stick buttons on mine seem hard to press?
As in I need to press REALLY hard in order to hold down the button. This is a bit of an issue for me when I am sprinting in FPS games.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 5:07:45 AM PDT
Did you tighten the left stick much? I noticed the looser the stick the easier it is to click.

I also noticed that the right stick seems tighter in general. The Left goes from loose to (all the way)tight in about 28-30 clicks, the right stick only goes to 20 clicks. Is everyone's controller like that? I only tightened both sticks about 3-4(left) and 4-5(right). And that works well for all of the games I play(shooters, rpg's).

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 11:32:11 AM PDT
K F says:
You *CAN* certainly put the FPS Freek on the ONZA TE! You just have to crank up the tension all the way before placing them, and then if you want you can dial it back to a certain point while they are on (which actually feels pretty loose with them because of the added height). Personally I think this this a terrible idea for this controller because it places the sticks much higher than the Microsoft ones, but if you want to YOU CAN PUT THE FPS FREEK ON THE ONZA-TE.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 12:05:48 PM PDT
jbay says:
I am so excited to get my hands on mine. 3 more days, tops!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 12:06:31 PM PDT
jbay says:
Or holding breath as a sniper? I shall see soon enough...

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 3:09:46 PM PDT
Chad L. Cope says:
im looking at this controller almost compleatly due to the d-pad on ms controllers sucking so bad. cant pull good fast combos in mortal kombat and its pissing me off.
my one question is: is the d-pad worthy of fighting games?
if not, have any suggestions other than a fight stick?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 5:55:28 AM PDT
I would NOT suggest this controller for fighting games on the D-pad alone. If you can track down on of the Super Street Fighter IV Fight Pad.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 8:37:11 AM PDT
Not just you, Noah Rhee. I returned mine today because the thumbstick button wouldn't work reliably. I tried different tensions on the thumbsticks but it was always the same with the left stick. It's too bad because I really like a lot of what this controller has to offer. Did I just get a defective one or is anyone else having this problem?

Posted on May 25, 2011 11:25:57 AM PDT
Will this controller work with my Turtle Beach X31s?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 10:30:37 AM PST
N. Ferestad says:
Yes, and also maybe a little no. The turtle beaches WILL plug right in and work, but ANY headset that is self amplified will get feedback every time the controller rumbles. No good fixes as of yet, except to turn off vibrate.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Razer Onza tournament edition -Xbox 360
Razer Onza tournament edition -Xbox 360 by Razer USA (Xbox 360)
2.8 out of 5 stars   (408)