Deity: The Third Covenant Novel
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$9.61 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 2, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Ok. I have to admit something right here, right now. Half-Blood did not blow me away. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it and it was an well done read with an interesting twist, but there was just something about it that kept me from loving it. When I read Pure, the things Jennifer did with the characters, the complicated political/social climate compounded by the action-packed plot... well, I was extremely impressed and excited by the direction in which Jennifer was taking her Covenant series - on the verge of toppling head-over-heels. And then, along came Deity...

Blown. Away.

Unreservedly, I can now say that I love this series.

Dare I venture to say that it might even be a favorite?

Why, yes. Yes, I do.

Perhaps one of my favorite things about this series so far (and in some ways this surprises me because I wasn't a huge fan of hers in the beginning) is Alex. Alex has come a long way from the selfish, impulsive girl we meet in Half-Blood. In some respects, she's still exactly the same, but yet she's matured from her experiences over the past year. Oh, she still blurts out what she thinks filter-free from time to time. She still gets those wild, reckless urges to take matters into her own hands, and yet Alex has begun to learn restraint. She's had to. She has seen the dangers her world poses for one such as her, seen the consequences enacted out before her if she crosses certain lines. She's seen her fears brought to life, and she's made enemies in some very high places who are devoted to destroying her. And above all Alex understands that her actions have consequences not only for her, but that other peoples' lives and well-being are also connected to hers. I absolutely love the evolution and development Alex's character has undergone throughout this series and especially where Jennifer has taken her in this book. Alex is a bit more serious, and perhaps a bit more subdued, in Deity than we've seen her before; however, even in the midst of so many circumstances she can't control, she's still the same fiery, fierce Alex - a girl who's developing a very strong sense of conviction and who's becoming someone who has a purpose beyond herself.

Alex aside, one of the biggest questions you might have about Deity, because I had the same, is what happens with Aiden & Seth?

<jumps up and down while flailing wildly>

While I obviously can't tell you a single thin- Well... ok. I'll tell you one thing about each of them in no particular order. One guy made me fall absolutely head over heels for him, while shocking revelations about the other one still have me reeling... and ready to throw something breakable.

Which is another reason I love Deity so much: it made me angry, it made me despair, it made me euphoric and it made me hope. I ran the entire gamut of emotional responses while reading this book. Jennifer is extremely good at backing her characters into seemingly inescapable corners and excellent at putting her readers right there in the moment alongside them, sharing the anguish, heartbreak and panic. Alternately, the happy/joyful/victorious scenes are equally as evocative, and I'm pretty sure that during those moments, I sat there grinning like an idiot from ear to ear. There are very few authors who capture my emotions so completely, and Jennifer L. Armentrout is one of them.

So what got me all riled up? Well, there have been several arcs building throughout the series, and in Deity several of them come to a head. The cards are on the table, come what may. The stakes are higher, the dangers greater, the potential consequences more grave. Secrets are revealed, rifts deepen, lines are crossed, new allies are gained, new enemies made, and only one thing is certain: things will never be the same. <cue dramatic movie trailer music> In all seriousness though, in my opinion, it's the best book in the Covenant series thus far.

Overall, Deity is truly divine.
Format: Kindle Edition
Holy Daimon Babies!! That was awesome, and such a huge cliffhanger to where I am sooooooo glad I did not read Deity until I had Apollyon in my hands, so I could read back to back. (Of course you need to read Elixir after Deity, goes to Aiden's point of view, and tells all that is going on, and you will see why after you read Deity, Do Not read Elixir first, it will spoil a lot, and also get you confused)

I am not going to go into any detail in this review, just to say how much I love this series, and to say it just gets better. I suggest you read Daimon Prequel first, that's what I did, then Half-Blood, then Pure, then Deity, Elixir then Apollyon.

Man, can Aiden get any hotter??? Oh, and I just hate Seth even more. He is pure evil. In my opinion. That's all I will say. I don't want to do any spoilers. I will however leave you with a few favorite parts, some teasers for you. Not really spoilers. (could be if you had not read the previous books)

Oh, and that big surprise on a certain person's identity, how awesome, loved it, and did not see it coming at all.

I give this 5 out of 5 really huge stars, and highly recommend this series.

Below is the teasers, like I said, not really spoilers, but if you rather not read any, just stop here.

Here is a scene with Aiden:

"What are you afraid of?" I asked again."I thought you said I was afraid of nothing once," he threw back."I did."Aiden shifted slightly and his thumb caressed the curve of my cheek. "I'm afraid of something.""What?" I whispered.He drew in a deep, shuddering breath. "I'm afraid of never being allowed to feel what I do."

Here is one that is a bit funny:

"You think I'm scared that you'll turn me in for fighting? Any of you? They can't touch me! I'm the fu--""Stop it!" I screamed. "Just stop!" Seth froze, and several sets of eyes centered on me. "Gods! We were training. There's no reason to kill each other over this." I glanced at Aiden. "No reason to do any of this. Just freaking stop."Tension still ripened the air, but Seth pulled back and spat out a mouthful of blood. As he straightened his shirt, the marks started to fade. "Like I'd been saying, but apparently all of you are too stupid to understand, we were--""Shut up, Seth." I clenched my hands.His brows rose. Aiden still looked furious. His eyes were like pools of silver, consuming his entire face."It's done and over, okay?" I said, mostly to him. "I'm fine. No one is dead. And if you three can manage not to try to kill each other, I'm going to go and take a shower, because now I smell like ten-day-old butt."

Here is one to get your heart pumping, a great tease to keep you guessing:

Aiden's stricken face loomed over mine, his eyes wide with horror. "Alex! Alex, talk to me. Talk to me, dammit!"I blinked and his face formed again, but it was fuzzy. I tried to say his name, but a hoarse, wet cough racked my body."No! No. No." He looked over his shoulder at the door. Guards had gathered, drawn by the commotion. "Get help! Now! Go!"

Here is a swoon worthy scene with Aiden (fanning myself...)

Aiden's hand found the nape of my neck and pulled me down. His lips met mine, and like every time before, there was this indefinable spark that coursed through us. He made a sound against my lips, kissing me harder and harder.He pulled back just enough so that his lips brushed mine when he spoke. "I can't keep pretending that I don't want this--that I don't want you. I can't. Not after what happened to you. I thought... I thought I'd lost you, Alex, forever. And I would've lost everything. You are my everything."

This one is really steamy:

Our kisses deepened, his tongue swept over mine, and I rocked against him. All of this was wonderful, exquisitely pleasing. Aiden dropped kisses all over my flushed skin. I was lost in the heady sensations, completely unprepared for it. This may not have been what we intended, but this... this was happening. Aiden lifted his head. "Are you sure?""Yes," I breathed. "I've never been more sure."

I guess I should stop there, anything after this really gets to much of a spoiler. I hope you enjoyed the teasers.

(I was gifted a copy of this ebook through Amazon, so it should show as a purchase, but not sure why it isn't showing that)

Michelle @ Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2012
Format: Paperback
Note: Younger Readers strongly cautioned.

I apologize in advance for the fact that this review may make no sense and might be lengthier than my usual reviews.

GREAT PAINS HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO KEEP THIS REVIEW SPOILER FREE .

My Thoughts:
I finished reading this book AGES AGO and I've been meaning to write a review for a long time but I just couldn't get in the zone and write an amazing review for this one because I HAVE NO WORDS to describe the AWESOMENESS that is this book!

I've been a little (ok maybe very) disappointed with quite a few Jennifer Armentrout novels like Pure and Cursed but this book reminded me why I'm in love with this author.Jennifer does not hesitate to shock and surprise you with surprising new developments and new characters.The game has changed people!

The stakes are higher,emotions run wild (*cough* Aiden *cough*) and people die.

I was losing interest in this series after Pure (book #2 ) and was seriously reconsidering buying this book when I got it for review.All I can say is thank you dear publishers! I might have missed out on this awesome book if not for you.

This book was as good if not BETTER than Half Blood (Book #1). On second thoughts it was MUCH MUCH better because I couldn't predict anything! I don't want to spoil it for you guys and I won't even though I want to gush about EVERYTHING!

Aiden was amazing in this novel.His character changes a little and I'm loving the change.

Alex is her usual awesome self.I have no complaints except that she needs to *SEE* some things clearly.[My Lips are now sealed]

Seth ,Oh Seth! I have no words.

I also loved the secondary characters in this novel.Special shout out to Marcus,Deacon,Lea and Leon.There are some others but I promised NO SPOILERS.

The story flows so well and Jen delivers sucker punch after sucker punch until you're numb with shock or excitement but still feel shivers when you get a new hit.

This book is a gamechanger. A lot of things like enemies,acquaintances,relationships,scenarios change,

It's been a long time since I've rated a book 5 stars.This book deserves a 5 and much more.
DEFINITELY WORTH A READ!

Is it too soon to start demanding a sequel?

My Rating:
5/5

NEED TO READ!

FYI: (For your information)

1.The book ends with a cliffhanger
2.I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AND WILL ALWAYS REMAIN TEAM AIDEN!
3.A novella called Elixir continues the story and should be read ONLY AFTER THIS BOOK! It has already been released and is available for free download on the spencer hill website
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
My first reaction after finishing Deity: What the hell just happened?

I've never read a book that screwed with my emotions as much as Deity.

I don't even know where to begin without spoiling anything, because there is so much that happens in Deity. So. Much.

Earlier on in the series we learn about Alex being the second Apollyon. In PURE, we learn that she is considered a threat and that the Furies want her dead.Well, I thought shiznit (trying to keep it PG here) went down in Pure...but I was wrong. Deity takes it to a whole other level.

Deity is built upon secrets. Everyone has one - some of which can be harmful to others. Alex has grown a lot since the beginning of the series. She's always been a tough heroine, but she's finally beginning to see that knee-jerk reactions can be problematic.

She's killed her mother. She's lost her best friend. And she has found out that she is the second Apollyon; and that by fate, she is destined to be one with Seth. Enough for any teenager to have to deal with, right? Nope. Alex's life gets turned upside down in Deity. She's running off of hope that she can stop the First from becoming the God Killer. But hope isn't enough.

Honestly, this is a hard book to review because I really can't justify spoiling the story. No matter how much I may want to talk about all the feelings I have right now. My Aiden fangirl is happy, or she was happy until, you know...but my Seth fangirl? My heart is hurting.

As someone who isn't really a fan of love triangles (something I've stated before), I found myself worried when I started Pure last year. But then when I finished Pure, and saw where Armentrout was taking the story, I found that I didn't mind the love triangle. In fact, going into Deity, I was actually a fan of both boys. But then my Seth fangirl died out about halfway in - it's hard not to like Seth, until you reach the mid point in Deity. That is all I'm saying on that one. That. Is. All.

Deity made me want to throw my book across the room numerous times, and to me, that just shows how great Armentrout is at her craft. Because when a reader is that invested in characters from a book, the author has clearly done something right.

Oh, and that ending? I need the next book pronto!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2012
Format: Paperback
HOLY GODS! In this third installment to the Covenant Series so much has happened to Alex. Alex has had to fight her way through so much. She lost her mother, she lost her best friend and she has no one except Seth. Lord Seth is something else. He is so hot and cold with her that she is not sure what to make of him. She knows the feelings she has have to do with the connection they have but she is not sure if she wants a relationship with him. She said she would give it a try and she is but things are not always as they seem so she is being very cautious with Seth.

Alex knows what her heart wants but she also knows that for Aiden and her to be together out in the open things would have to change. They are forbidden to be together and if they were to ever get caught she wold become a servant and never see him again. With her approaching birthday coming she and Seth are spending more and more time together and every time they kiss she gets a new mark. The marks are coming faster than ever and Alex is scared.

As her birthday approaches she sees a side to Seth that she does not like and with that comes a slew of questions and answers she may not want to know. Is Seth keeping secrets? IS her step father up to no good and is hiding behind Seth and the awakening? What happens in this book is EPIC and what Alex finds out and who she ends up with will totally blow your mind!
on November 1, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
In Deity, Ms. Armentrout continues to do what she does best - write amazing characters with incredible chemistry. I've come to expect that from her, it's one of the main reasons I loved the previous Covenant Series books, Half-Blood and Pure (see review), as well as Cursed (will link to review once published in Sept) and of course, my favorite Obsidian. But, what I was not expecting in Deity was the twists and turns that the story takes and the intricate manner in which she weaves the plot together. Besides the exciting drama with the daimons and the gods, the Awakening and the council order, all of which continues in here, she also starts to make you think about serious questions regarding fate and destiny. And boy, are there some surprises in there as well!

After reading Half-Blood and Pure, I was a solid Team Aiden supporter, but very reluctantly was starting to really like Seth, and the lines in my mind (as well as in Alex's) were starting to get blurry. I was not happy this continues in Deity, but I was super excited we get to see a lot more of Aiden in this one and everything starts to become a little clearer in the end (although you'll have to read for yourself how).. It is a bit frustrating to see how impossibly unfair circumstances become, but that only fuels my desire to keep reading because I just know this has to have a happy ending, right? Right?

Deity may just be my favorite of the three Covenant books so far. It has all the romance anyone could ask for, plus a whole lot of action and suspenseful drama as well. I felt so much more got resolved than in the previous books, but there are still a whole lot of questions yet to be answered for the next two books (at least!). Can't wait for them next year!

Deity: 4.5/5 stars
Cover: 5/5 stars (have I mentioned how much I LOVE these covers!)
on February 6, 2013
Format: Paperback
I've tried to type up this review at least ten times and I have yet to make it sound a bit grown and a lot less fan girly. Sorry folks, I just can't seem to do it. Let's give it one more try. Perhaps I can get the fan girl out of the way first...

Let's see...

O. M. G.! !! ! Holy moly! What did I just read?! Awesomeness, that's what! Wonderful freakin' ending! Oooo and the cover! The cover!
O. M. G.! !!!!

Ok... Hopefully, it is now out of my system. I mean, it's been like month since I read this book but this has been the tamest of fan girl-ism displayed.

Seriously though, this was probably the best written book of the series. I almost want to say it was the best written book thus far by Jennifer L. Armentrout but it might just be tied with Onyx of the Lux series. They are different in many ways and satisfy the reader in different ways...but anywho... I digress.

As always, it is a pleasure to enter into this world knowing that you will find intrigue, action, romance, laughter, tears, and raw emotions among other things. It's always new and always refreshing. JLA has a writing style that sucks you in, refuses to let you go until the very last word on the very last page and then leaves you hanging wondering what the heck just happened and why you can't close your mouth shut.

Alex and company are back at the North Carolina Covenant dealing with all the crazy events that came about in Pure in a "hey, nothing happened in Pure" kind of way or at the very most, trying. Alex is also dealing with the fact that at any moment she will awaken as the second Apollyon. Many secrets are revealed and many loose ends are mended. Although the reader finds answers they seek, the mystery and intrigue still lingers. This book is a bit mellower in the action department but not in a boring kind of way. If I were to describe this book in one word it would have to be GROWTH. Everyone grows in this book including JLA's writing. Alex and Aiden do the most growing and not necessarily in the romantic kind of sense, although there is that, but as individuals. Alex shows the most growth in that she no longer just thinks of herself. She's reaching out to people she normally would not have, taking interest in what they are feeling and thinking. She also seems to be thinking more before she reacts even though she still lands herself in trouble. Aiden grows emotionally. He faces his feelings for everyone in his life and comes to terms with all that has happened so far. He decides what's important and what's not.

As I mentioned before JLA's writing grows in this book and I'm finding it hard to put into words how. I think it has to do with the fact that this book felt more like it flowed as it had to. It progressed in the way that it was meant to and didn't feel like the author was writing what the readers wanted to read. I also found growth in that every single character in this book is interesting. You have Alex and you have Aiden, the main protagonists and even Seth because of his huge link to Alex. However, you have a crap load of other characters that were there from the beginning and new characters constantly being introduced who are all really interesting and are all important to the overall story line. You love to love them, you love to hate them, they are absolutely necessary and you don't mind. I don't think that is easy to achieve. It rarely happens and I can only think of maybe two or three other authors who manage to make every character just as interesting and/or important as their main hero or heroine.

I recommend this book to everyone! You will not be disappointed. Really great things happen in Deity that will literally have you jumping onto Goodreads immediately upon finishing the read to find out when Apollyon will come out... which, by the way, will be in April.

Well... I think that went rather well.
on October 30, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Every time I read a Jennifer L. Armentrout novel, I always become so absorbed and invested in the story. I feel like with each new book her stories keep getting more and more awesome and exciting! The third book in the Covenant series, Deity, is no exception, and it is by far my favorite out of all the books and novellas I've read by JLA. It was that good!

Since finishing, my emotions for Deity have been all over the place. Part of me is ecstatic, the other part is terrified. I don't know if I want to pass out and melt over some of the things that happened in this book... Or freak the hell out over some of the other things that happened. As I had hoped in my review for Pure, there were plenty of answers and revelations in Deity! Some confirmed suspicions I've had from the previous books. And some were completely unexpected and shocking. It felt non-stop, and all of it left me stunned and amazed.

I'm very impressed with how much Alex has grown and matured. She is such a wonderful character! Although her decisions might not always make everyone happy, I admire her for following her heart and doing what she feels is right. She is such a compassionate person and is just trying to do her best with what she has. I really feel for her because she has already gone through so much. It's pretty heartbreaking when all you want is happiness for the character, knowing there's still more they'll have to overcome. But I believe in Alex and know with her determination and strength and the support from other characters she'll make it through.

One of the major events in the book occurred at the end. I can't tell you what happened because obviously it would be a spoiler (and trust me, you do NOT want to be spoiled about anything). However, I will say that Deity ends with a cliffhanger, and it was...insane! This is what I thought when I finished: 'Shit just got real!' I didn't see it coming. But it pretty much explains everything that has helped lead up to that moment. There are times where I wonder if I'm freaking out about it way too much, and then I realize I can't help it with all the theories going through my mind. Besides, cliffhangers usually cause that type of reaction, so I'm going to continue biting my nails nervously and try to figure out what happens while I wait for the release of the next book.

I have to mention the romance before ending this review, since it plays a big role in the series and it's one of the things I looked forward to in Deity. The romance was definitely at the center of some of my favorite parts in the book. I don't like to sound cheesy, but honestly, I teared up at some moments because the romance was really really beautiful and passionate. My heart was close to bursting! And I do feel like I understand the love-triangle a lot more. I had already liked all the characters involved; Deity just made me appreciate them even more. There are huge surprises, and I understand why the things that occurred ended up happening. I'm dying to know how it will all work out because even without the romance, I really just want Alex, Aiden, and Seth to be happy by the end of the series. They all deserve it.

Deity was a stunning and heart-pounding installment in the Covenant series. It is the best and easily my favorite in the series so far. I have no idea how Jennifer L. Armentrout will top this book in Apollyon and Sentinel. All I know is that those last books are going to be completely epic and awesome too! And thankfully Aiden's novella Elixir will be released before then, and I'll be able to get my much needed JLA and Covenant fix. I cannot wait!
Format: Kindle Edition
Hot daimon babies this was so incredible!

Alex is truly becoming one of my favorite kick butt heroines. I love her humor. Really all of the humor in these books alone would make it worth the read.

If I hadn't already loved Aiden after the first two books, this one would have clinched the deal. He really stepped it up in this. His actions, his words, his looks, gosh, Alex is one lucky lucky girl.

Apollo, Deacon, Luke, Marcus, gah! I love them all. Not only is Alex's character growing in each new book but so are theirs. It is amazing the time that Jennifer has taken to really make all of these characters seem real. To give them each distinct (wonderful) personalities and really make them their own. To make them into people that you would love and to care about and characters that I have come to care about.

I feel so invested in all of them already it is unbelievable. I know I will be so sad when this series ends.

I know a lot of people compare this to the VA series but I am here to tell you that it isn't a copy or a rip off or a cheap initiation, this series holds it's own and it is amazing.
on November 20, 2013
Format: Paperback
If you have NOT read Half-Blood and Pure, please read with caution. There are some spoilers that were unavoidable. Proceed with caution . . .

I know I should hate Seth but I don't. Don't go glaring at me or anything . . . hear me out. I'm pissed at him, really pissed at him - but power can do wonders on people. Some people aren't as strong willed and the hunger for more power outweighs everything else. Not that it's an excuse for what he's done, I could strangle him for what he's done but the Seth I fell for is still there. He needs a bit of a reality check and I do think he needs to suffer for the pain he has caused but he cannot die. Do you hear me? He cannot. My heart wouldn't be able to take that. I've already had enough heartache for this series and we still have two books to go.

That being said, that ending . . . oh my! I wanted nothing more than to start the next book and even skip over the novella but I didn't. I read Elixir next (it was told from Aiden's point of view!) but I can't wait to start Apollyon! This series is so addicting and I'm so glad I waited to read it all at once so I have no waiting. It's nice! Especially when the endings are as torturous as this was!

These books just get more and more intense as we go along. I can only imagine how the next book is going to be (after having read Elixir). But there are so many good things that happen in this book, like Valentine's Day . . . oh yes, use your imagination cause I'm sure it's close to the real thing! Aiden and Alex's relationship has really grown so much in this book; not just physically but in every sense of the word. We find out what's up with his mysterious necklace and he also opens up about his past and the death of his parents. It's horrifying, actually. Makes you want to give him a big ole hug.

I don't think I've mentioned this so far in my reviews but I really adore Deacon. I really am praying that nothing happens to him in one of the final books. Not only will it make me sad but it'll break Aiden apart. He's the only family he has left and he loves him something fierce. Oh gods, I'm terrified for Deacon. Terrified.

Also, can I tell you how much I love Apollo? I really do love everyone...well except Lucian. That man is a douche. I can't wait for him to die because let's face it, he will die and I will laugh like a madman when it happens. I will fist pump, in fact . . . maybe dance around the room? I'm not sure but you'll find out later when it happens, right?

Seriously. Pick up this book. No, don't . . . pick up the other ones first and then just read straight through like I have. It's so entertaining, so addicting and so fascinating, especially with the gods. I don't think I can say enough great things about this series except I'm annoyed I waited this long to start reading it. That's it.

Reviewed by Jessica @ Step Into Fiction