5.0 out of 5 stars An Old-Fashioned Love Story for Cynical People
Published on November 15, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than it could have been.
After the terrific reviews, I had expected better.
The Idea is indeed a good one, but the lead actress is... awfull (I'm sorry to say it, but there it is.) She is whiny, complaining, selfish, and just generally irritating.
Published on January 15, 2003 by M. Jensen

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old-Fashioned Love Story for Cynical People, November 15, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Deja Vu is a wonderful movie! I saw it in the theaters over a year ago, and I have been awaiting its release on video. It's a story about two cynical 90s people who meet and know that they are destined to be together. But not in the silly, Hollywood, Sleepless in Seattle kind of way. These characters are just as cynical as most of us are about romantic destiny. It's not supposed to REALLY happen. It's supposed to be something that we only see in the movies. BUT the strong pull of emotions and, ultimately, more cosmic forces, draws them together. This is an extremely well written and acted film that examines our insecurities about love and destiny without insulting our intelligence.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found it!, December 30, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I saw this movie in a small theater last year and fell in love with it. I came back with a friend and saw it again on the same day. Every time I've gone in to the video store I've looked for it and was so thrilled and shocked to finally see it on the shelf today that I pushed two people out of the way to grab the last copy! Why do I love it? It touched my soul. I felt connected to the characters and the emotions and the settings. This is pure romance without the hollywood gloss (or the high budget!) Beautifullly written, simply acted, thought-provoking, heart-stirring. There are so many people I want to share this movie with. It's that kind of movie. I'll never get tired of it. 100 Stars! Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite, December 14, 1999
Noel Sorrell (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I don't have a review, just a statement. I'm 68 years old and have been a movie fan all my life. I think that as of the second time I saw Deja Vu it has replaced Casablanca as my favorite movie ever. Of course if you're not basically a romantic, you may hate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meant to be Together, November 10, 2000
"linhink" (Duluth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I love romantic movies that really capture your heart, make you feel like the movie is happening to you. Too many so-called "romantic movies" these days are contrived: they try to force you like the characters and believe in the story. This story captured my heart and kept me thinking about it long after the movie ended. In fact, instead of "White Cliffs of Dover" I have started downloading different artist's versions of "Where or When". There could not have been a better song to go along with this storyline of 2 people that meet that really feel like they've already met each other before. That's always been a favorite theme of mine, from old songs like Dionne Warwick's "Deja Vu", and it's good to see a movie made around this theme. And to throw in the storyline twists of the older woman with the ruby pin and who she turns out to be, it is reminiscent of the feelings I had when Christopher Reeve first saw Jane Seymour's picture in the film book in "Somewhere in Time" and realizes she is the old lady that gave him the pocket watch and said "Come back to me". Highly recommend this for anyone who's a true romantic at heart. You don't have to have graphic sex scenes and language for a good romantic picture: just good eye contact, body language and an engaging, nonpredictable storyline. Plus, you usually have to throw in some twists and turns, some stumbling blocks put in the characters' way in order for them to be together. This movie had all of the above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyes across a crowded room, March 27, 2001
Kiki D. (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
OK, so I'm a sucker for any book or film that has to do with serendipity, "coincidence", the passage of time and falling in love - so obviously I fell head-over-heels for this movie. This is not a cynical movie, but it is realistic. It's not about fate, it's about being presented with opportunities and exercising your free will. It's a movie about the suspension of disbelief and trusting something bigger than yourself. It's about life sometimes being inexplicable and accepting that fact. It's all about taking chances, having regrets and living with consequences. The acting is superb - most of the dialogue seems like it is improvised and this lends an immediacy to the film. Now, this may be off putting to people used to the typical Hollywood do-not-deviate-from-the-script approach to acting, but please just trust it and allow yourself to become involved. The main characters - Sean and Dana - have to make some hard choices when they acknowledge their feelings for each other. Each is deeply involved with someone else and the people they are involved with are not horrible people. This is not a romantic fantasy where someone finds their true love, casts off their dismal spouse and rides off into the cardboard sunset. This is real life, in all shades of black, white and grey. The circumstances the characters find themselves in repeatedly would seem to suggest fate, but they know better than that - what happens is up to them, it's a choice and not an easy one. Other characters in the movie have had to make choices in similar circumstances. After watching the movie you'll know that no one can say which choices were "better" than any others - all the choices people make and have to live with are valid even though they may seem foolish or cruel to others. And the universe has a way of working things out. Anyone who has had a similar experience will know just what I'm talking about. Those who haven't - well, perhaps you have something to look forward to...

5.0 out of 5 stars Deja Vu, March 14, 2000
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
What if? What if it was there right in front of your face and you didn't see it for what it was? Fate. What if you decided it was a test? What if you walked away from it and never found it or felt it again? This movie made me think about so many things that happen to us in our lives and the decisions that we make. Life is so short and this movie taught me to live it to the fullest and to go with your heart. Not only did it have a valuable message, but the scenery was wonderful and the actors were great. I will watch this movie again and again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than it could have been., January 15, 2003
M. Jensen (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu (DVD)
After the terrific reviews, I had expected better.
While watching the movie, I just kept wondering why any of these people would want to spent time with her, let alone, seek her out or leave their wife for her.
To say something good about the film, the filming locations (Paris, Cliffs of Dover, etc.) were excellent and beautiful. And the rest of the cast could act and was wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, January 14, 2000
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I saw this movie in the begining of a new relationship, and it mirrored everything i felt and thought. I have never had a movie make such an impact on my life...I could only see it once, but I plan on buying it as soon as I can. It was amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars We should all be so lucky, January 3, 2006
This review is from: Deja Vu (DVD)
I love this film and have seen it many times. It has lines in it I've never heard before in any love story, though I've had this wonderful soul-mate experience myself and know the words by heart. It's the language of the soul that's captured here, and I think the characters reflect this soul-mate understanding perfectly, at least in the major love scenes between the lovely Victoria Foyt and the excellent Stephen Dillane. This makes it difficult for me to imagine anyone else in the lead role other than Ms. Foyt.

In fact, the movie would never have come into being without her and she deserves ample credit: she wrote it with her husband, who happens to be the love of her life, and vice versa, if their commentary is to be believed in the special features section... The relationship between Foyt and Jaglom was fated, as she was married to someone else at the time she met him, and consequently they both sacrificed everything to be together - and so far, it's worked out personally and creatively for both of them, including their two young and lovely children. Now what other actress could have stepped in and played her role with more insight, conviction and understanding? Keira Knightley? Hmmm.

What some viewers lament as her constant "whining," I see as a reflection of the type of woman she is: feminine, vulnerable, emotional, and deeply upset and confused by this sudden turn of events with someone from out of the blue just when her conventional life was about to fall into place with her fiance. She's shaken by this and it comes out in her voice. What's happening to her is beyond her understanding at the time.

Speaking as a man, I love Victoria Foyt's maturity, being an older but hardly an old woman, and her classic beauty, and I particularly love her words in her last major love scene with her soul-mate. (I won't spoil the beautiful exchange by revealing it here.) For what I look for in a woman, she has feminine appeal in the way she's in conflict with herself, and she has feminine appeal in her emotionally vulnerability and the way she expresses herself when she surrenders to her lover and decides to give into having a life with him. I like it, I like it, I like it, because she's lived enough to have some depth of feeling, and appreciates it, because it comes later in life, though that's not explicitly stated in the movie. She also knows how to kiss and use her hands to express her emotions, which I love in a woman. I would find it hard to throw a woman of this classic beauty and emotional vulnerabity out of bed should I ever be lucky enough to have this soul-mate experience again.

This romantic "fantasy" is perhaps my favorite movie about fate, destiny and life's unexpected possibilities - ones that keep you hanging onto life and expecting the next great adventure right around the corner, including non-romantic ones. Whether it's a perfect movie or not is a moot point for me because what movie could ever exactly capture the real thing?... that special something so overpowering in its magnetic attraction between two people that they can only say `yes' to it no matter whatever else is happening in their lives. While it can turn lives upside down, and sometimes ends up being only an illusion, it may be the ultimate act of self-discovery that was part of their life's plan from the beginning, and this movie explores this gossamer line between fantasy and reality.

I think the movie may also have another message: that sometimes you have to say 'no' to someone when you painfully realize that person isn't right for you, and only then is there room for the person you were destined to be with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Breathtaking., June 25, 2000
David (San Francisco, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Vu [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Anyone who's ever dreamed. Anyone who's ever thought or felt beyond what was right in front of them. This movie will take your breath away.
I just saw this movie with my wife two weeks ago, and it completely confirmed for us everything we've ever believed in about love. I'm an art professor at a local high school here, and I decided after watching this movie to offer a film class in the fall just so I can show my students what I think a film should be.
This movie is hauntingly beautiful. The dialogue between Victoria Hoyt's character and Stephen Dillane's character simply set me free. Ten stars.
Those of you looking for an action-packed blockbuster, this isn't for you. But if you're open to an experience that may open a new door in your soul, rent this movie.

Deja vu