Format: Paperback
Three months ago, Luc Traverson and Alyssa Devereaux had a night of unfettered bliss. Terrified of his loss of control with her, the celebrity chef quickly made himself scarce. After all, the plans he has for the future include a proper wife, children and white picket fences. They don't include a strip club owner, even if said owner is using her business acumen to open a high scale restaurant.

Making good on a bargain, Luc agrees to be the star chef for opening week at her restaurant. The mere sight of her drives him wild, but a promise is a promise. Each day they're together his feelings and respect for her increase exponentially. Try as he might, he can't get her out of his system, which wreaks havoc on his well made future plans. But when a stalker turns dangerous, Luc realizes he can't let her go. The question is, will he be able to save her in time?

Once again, Shayla Black has penned an absolute winner. Although Luc played a prominent role in Decadent it was wonderful to see him get his own story in Delicious and Alyssa's just the woman to take him on. Each has their own secrets, which will have the reader voraciously flipping through pages, eager to learn more.

The storyline is thoroughly gripping and wonderfully suspenseful. The sexual tension and chemistry between Luc and Alyssa is so blisteringly sexy the pages fairly melted. These characters have an emotional depth with a satisfying complexity that fans of Ms. Black have come to expect from her novels. This story was read in one sitting: one minute laughing, the next minute crying, all the while gripping the pages with nail biting anticipation. Previous fans and new readers alike will devour the pages with reckless abandon.

Courtesy of Fallen Angel Reviews
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2010
Format: Paperback
DELICIOUS, the third book of Shayla Black's WICKED LOVERS series, more than lives up to its title! Luc Traverson, whom readers met in DECADENT, has finally met his match in Alyssa Devereaux. Luc is ready for his well planned life and his resulting lust and emotional combustion for Ms. Devereaux is definitely not on his list.

Luc Traverson has everything about his life planned out - right down to the type of woman he wants to marry. Because of his secret medical condition, Luc has to find the right woman to make his dreams come true. She needs to be above reproach, innocent to a point, and willing to become a mother. As with all well ordered preparations, there is just one problem. Ever since he spent an explosive night with Alyssa Devereaux, Luc hasn't been able to get her out of his mind and because of this, he decides that he can't be around her for any amount of time. Reneging on a promise to help her open her restaurant, Luc tries to get out of his obligation - however, all bets are off the minute he finds out that someone is doing their best to scare Alyssa out of town. With the woman he desires in danger, Luc's decision is made - he will be sticking around until he uncovers the culprit, even if he has to ignore the fact that he might not be the only man in her life.

Alyssa Devereaux has her own agenda. She has been unable to forget Luc Traverson since the night they spent together months ago. With her new restaurant opening, Alyssa is finally going to be able to put her exotic dancing behind her, and she is hoping that with Luc as her guest chef, her establishment will be a success. When Luc tries to get out of his agreement, Alyssa knows she is going to have to pull out the big guns. But, with one look from Luc, she finds herself putty in his hands and in his bed.

Luc knows he is making a mistake being with Alyssa, but she is like the finest wine - he has tasted her passion and is unable to walk away no matter that he thinks he isn't the only man in her life or that she might be unsuitable for what he wants to achieve in his life. When she comes to him with the most outrageous lie he has ever heard, Luc sees his dreams coming true despite his anger. Now if he can keep the woman he desires from danger, Luc's reasons will be safe. Or so he thinks.

Luc is a character I have thought about for a long time. First introduced in Shayla Black's novel DECADENT, Luc has inner demons driving him. He is talented, sexy, and an extraordinary lover. Raw and powerful, he knows exactly how to take a woman's breath away. He is quite simply one of the most luscious men I have ever read about.

Alyssa is a woman after my own heart. Working her way up from nothing, she is smart, witty, and beautiful. Men desire her and she has been able to use that to her advantage and make a life for herself. I applaud her yearning to become a businesswoman and am proud of her accomplishments. Most of all, I am green eyed with envy at the way she loves Luc. She loves him with her whole heart and soul. And that is exactly what he needs.

Too DELICIOUS to put down, I singlehandedly read this erotic and well written tale cover to cover. Experiencing a plethora of emotions right along with Luc and Alyssa, I found myself holding my breath more than once. Suspense plays a big part in DELICIOUS, and I am happy to report that I was unable to decipher the villain until the very end. With commanding and passionate love scenes, DELICIOUS is a book to be savored over and over. I consider it one of the best books I have ever read - it totally satisfied my romance loving heart. And I didn't even need chocolate!

Natalie S.
on March 9, 2010
Format: Paperback
Delicious was a compelling tale of Luc and Alyssa. Even though I disagreed with the story line quite often, I still felt compelled to read it to the end. Yes, there was plenty of hot, melt the ink off the pages sex scenes, but I also like to have a believable plot & storyline in a book too. There seemed to be too much repetition within the book...the multiple stalkers, multiple confrontations of truth vs disbelief, etc. Enough already. It felt like Luc & Alyssa no sooner got through one crisis and then another was opon them. Too much forgetable drama for me.

Most times I found myself frustrated with the character Luc...he was written as a very narrow minded self indulgent male. I just wanted to smack him up side his head to knock some sense into him...and I'm not a physically violent person. While I loved him in Decedent, I just had a hard time totally liking him in Delicious. He just couldn't seem to pull his head out of his a** as far as his beliefs about Alyssa's morals vs what his "perfect wife" would be like. He was told the truth over and over and over again, yet it never sunk in his thick skull. Tunnel vision to the nth degree.

I opted this time for the pb book vs the Kindle version, just because there was only a mere $.30 odd cents difference between the 2. I personally have a hard time justifying paying big bucks for ebooks...where as an actual book gives you a physical product.

Would I ever purchase any future books by this author? Yes, as I am hoping Hunter's book is better than this one. I think she is a good author, but just lost her way when writing this book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2010
Format: Paperback
I was a little disappointed by this book. In a lot of ways it lived up to what I thought I was going to be. . . HOWEVER, I really go annoyed by Luc and his constant perception of Alyssa being a "whore." His stereotypical mindset was exhausting to read, repeatedly. It took too long for his small brain to wrap around the fact that Alyssa could actually be a smart savvy business woman. Even after learning she encouraged the girls that worked for her to go back to school and even helped them find assistance. Did he honestly think she would not know anything about running a business- strip club though it maybe- so there for she wouldn't really have to be smart? Yes, it was a concept quite unfamiliar for Luc to have-you know giving someone the benifit of the doubt.

Everything she did that screamed success and educated decisions, ie being able to open up an amazing restaurant- he perceived as woman who got client help finding great deals by selling herself-he is constantly thinking the worst of her and getting angry at her. AND honestly- he's 'sterile' so he thinks absolutely nothing of protecting them with the chance that he could get Alyssa pregnant. Just because he has/had physical issues does not mean it was a zero chance to have a baby. He however makes up for it with all his pouting and temper tantrum like ways.

Instead of being upfront with Alyssa when he holds this secret- the whole time thinking the woman he 'loves' or could love- again is a whore passing off someone else's child to be his, only he is more than happy to take the roll of father. Where does this guy get off? I just felt really sorry for Alyssa-until her stupidity about how 'what if's' got in her way. On more than one occasion when you would think she could not handle more insult- she goes back for more.

It was such a push and pull of a chaotic, un-trusting and sometimes violent relationship, that it was hard, by the end to believe the honesty of their "love." You would think that with a past like her's-Alyssa would have been less likely to allow Luc to treat her the way he does. Instead, it takes him using her aggressively, for sex out of jealousy for her to tell him to never touch her or come near her. . . Later it's when she finds out he thought she'd been lying about the baby's father and she realizes, again how horribly Luc thinks about her.

I gave it three stars because, for what it is it did deliver in certain areas-It was a steamy read, and for the first few chapters lived up to my expectations- but the ending itself was just too much. I felt a little cheated and felt like Luc & Alyssa's relationship needed to flourish a little more before I'd by it.
on March 15, 2010
Format: Paperback
After reading "Delicious" I mulled over what did and didn't work for me for quite a while, and also whether or not I really enjoyed the book overall- Black is always good for scorching sex scenes, as well as a story that will tug at your heart. However, I found there to be too many problems with this book, or rather, things that were done to and by the character that made me want to speed to the end just to say I'd finished it:
(potentially spolierish):

-I had a really difficult time connecting this Luc to the Luc from "Decadent." I remember reading "Decadent" thinking how much I didn't like the hero at all, and that I'd rather the heroine end up with Luc-and when I happened to stumble on "Delicious" I was THRILLED to see that my favorite character was receiving a book of his own. Unfortunately, this Luc seemed to have undergone a complete personality change where he was constantly judging, assuming and disregarding everything the heroine said-oh, and I'm going to reiterate the judgmental part of that statement because I haven't read a more sanctimonious 'hero' in quite some time.

-In that vein, how many times did Alyssa have to tell Luc that she hadn't slept with Tyler? While I'm not a fan of it, I do understand the "what you see is what you get" belief and in this case, I can understand his hesitation with believing her the first time she makes this statement based on his preconceived notions of her character. However, by the 5th or 6th time I read this statement and the accompanying argument (which inevitably devolved into a sexual encounter) I was beyond irritated and disgusted with the hero's behavior. How am I supposed to read a book about a developing relationship where the main character doesn't believe his heroine hasn't slept with another man (after she professed this at least 6 times) until the last 20 pages of the novel when the other man has spelled it out?

-Finally, how many times do we have to read about the heroine being attacked? I have to agree with another reviewer that the 'suspense' in this novel was too over the top-I mean seriously, did she need to be attacked 3 separate times by 3 separate bad guys? By the time she was attacked the third time by the MOST vile character, I was apathetic about the whole situation and just wanted the book to be over. The second attack should have never been written, all it did was detract from the impact of the third. Not to mention that I was extremely POed that we didn't get to see trial and outcome of the attempted rapist. After being stopped in my tracks by the first attack, I was really gunning for him to be thrown behind bars for what he did but all we hear after the event is a) he was put in jail, then released and b) a brief mention of his upcoming trial.

Overall, I thought this book was a decent way to pass a rainy Sunday afternoon. Ultimately though, I'm not too impressed with Black's ability to write a book that involves a hero I don't want to slap into next week. It seems she's fallen into the trend of other romance authors who pen a great secondary male character that develops a fan base, and then she completely does a 180 on him when she writes his own book. Black gets two stars only because she penned a heroine I didn't want to read about initially, but in the end, I was rooting for her all the way.

If you want to read an excellent novel about characters with a shared history, where the heroine's actions lead the hero to not-quite trust her, read: Mine to Possess (Psy-Changelings, Book 4). This book will put you through the wringer emotionally, and get you hooked (if you aren't already) on fantastic paranormal romance series that is batting 100% so far.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 4, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I'm not going to provide a synopsis as that has been repeatedly done by other reviewers. Rather this review will be a reflection my opinion and reaction to my experience. First let me qualify my review, I am a true reader and I have read all the books in Ms. Black's wicked series. For me, this book is the worst in the series.

As usual the sex scenes were scorching and the sexual chemistry between Luc and Alyssa was flammable. As a rape victim, I appreciated the author's genuine portrayal of a rape victim's aftermath / response. Luc used sex to punish Alyssa, tsk tsk. Overall, the plot was too contrive. How many stalkers can one woman have in a matter of weeks? The conflicts between the main characters was too frivolous and juvenile. I especially didn't understand why Alyssa found it necessary to allow Tyler (an employee) to have such intimate contact with her (knowing that Tyler wanted her to be his woman) then have difficulty understanding why Luc wouldn't believe Tyler was not her lover; that's what she wanted her customers to believe, that's what Tyler wanted Luc to believe. A bodyguard doesn't have to touch a body to guard it. She used her body to manipulate the men around her.

Luc had a perpetual case of the pot calling the kettle black. Luc has difficulty viewing Alyssa as a viable life partner because she owns a strip club; yet, he defends her right to do so to the media and he's outraged that a customer would objectify her. His view of what a mother should be was way too conventional and constraining for someone into bondage and was in a three person relationship. Alyssa's value was so shiny and bright and Luc's blindness and constant attempts to muddy it was exhausting. There was too many repetitive moments, re-telling of the story throughout the book. This book left me feeling like I just ate a Thanksgiving meal: stuffed with too many consumed calories, a belly ache, and plenty regrets. This book was a Shayla miss for me; but, she makes up for it in Surrender to Me, Hunter's story.
Format: Paperback
In Lafayette, Louisiana, famous stripper Alyssa Devereux owns a popular strip joint, but is also is opening a restaurant. She has persuaded celebrity chef Luc Traverson to serve the first day meals.

Luc has doubts as he had the sexual time of his life with Alyssa three months ago, but fears a repeat performance as he still wants her. Alyssa shocks him with her business skills and her education. However, even more stunning she tells him he is the only man she slept with in several years and would like a repeat performance. She also wants to know what dark secret he hides form her as she senses he is concealing something personal. He is sterile, but wants children while feeling morally her lifestyle rules her out. When she is threatened by local activists, Luc defends her, but will he admit to himself and then to her he loves her?

The third Wicked Lovers heated romance (see Wicked Ties and Decadent) is a terrific tale of a man who keeps humming to himself I'm Not In Love (10 CC) because the adulation of his affection is a stripper. Alyssa proves to him and readers she is much more than a stereotyped stripper as her business acumen is superb; though that is two edged as it simplifies Luc's personal moral dilemma yet also makes the heroine wonderfully complex. Fans will enjoy this deep Bayou Wicked Lovers' saga as Luc loves Alyssa although she is not his the opposite of the image of his paragon mate.

Harriet Klausner
on March 4, 2010
Format: Paperback
This book just blew me over. It's definitely one of the best erotic romances I've ever read and particularly it's outstanding heroine makes this book so special.

Whenever chef Luc Traverson and strip club owner Alyssa Devereaux come together the sexual chemistry between them is mind-blowing. Months ago they spent an unbelievable erotic night together and now Alyssa wants more of Luc. She has developed feelings for him and tries everything to get him back into her bed and her life. But Luc only sees the stripper and strip club owner when he looks at Alyssa. He isn't able to look behind her facade to see the woman who craves to be loved.
So Luc does his best to not get involved with her again but when threats are made against Alyssa he can't stand back any longer. Soon he's back into her bed but still his prejudices make him wary of getting into a meaningful relationship with her. In the end he has to overcome his suspicions and start trusting in Alyssa if he really wants to have a chance with this amazing woman.

"Delicious" is one of the books that I couldn't lay out of my hands after I started reading it. In my opinion it's an amazing erotic romance and I love everything about it.
Alyssa is one of the strongest and greatest heroines I ever met in a book. She went through hell in her past but still managed to turn her life into something worth admiring. I love how hard-working and honest she is. She is a true survivor and deserves only the best.
Luc is hot (of course) and very stubborn. Sometimes he acted so hardheaded that I wanted to shake him. But let's face it, we all have prejudices against certain people (for example strippers), so in part I could understand his suspicions and behaviour. But Luc was always there for Alyssa when it really counted and therefore I think that they are a fantastic pair.
I enjoyed the sex scenes between Alyssa and Luc a lot (so absolutly delicious) and Shayla Black definitely writes some of the best and hottest erotic novels.
It was also great to meet characters from the other books of the "Wicked Lovers" - series again and I'm already excited for "Surrender to me", which is Hunters book and will be released in March, 2011.
on June 20, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I've never given such a high rating to a book where I liked the "hero" of the story so little. The plot and the heroine, Alyssa, saved this novel for me. Alyssa is a believable character; Ms. Black does an excellent job explaining her motivations, her insecurities, and her resilience. The surprise ending is amazing. I'm glad I read the book and it has its' place in the series without a doubt.

With that said, I don't think I've ever disliked a character more than I dislike Luc. I didn't like him in Decadent, although he was a heck of a lot more sweet and romantic in that installment. He stays true to form in this novel only in that he's a manipulative SOB. We see a totally new side to him in Delicious and it only left a bitter taste in my mouth. He's arrogant, condescending, selfish, uncaring, and at times violent. If I had to read one more time how Alyssa is a whore in his mind and he doesn't believe a word out of her mouth I thought I might be sick. Ugh!

Introducing Tyler in an I-can't-wait-for-his-story way was a plus. Personally I kept hoping Alyssa would choose him so I hope he gets a woman of his dreams in an upcoming novel.

Okay, so Ms. Black turns Luc around (a bit) before the end of the book and she once again has written an intriguing story with in-depth character analysis and development. There is still too much repetition in Delicious, which was the case in the prior two novels. The book is worth reading if only to keep the series in order and in tact. If you haven't checked out Surrender to Me, it's the best of the lot!
on March 18, 2011
Format: Paperback
*SPOILERS* The story overall, had a very good plot and flow, the only thing i couldn't stand was all the sex! I know, it's a romance novel, and don't get me wrong, I love a little steamy passion in a book but this felt like too much. They would have sex under the worse circumstances, things that kind of felt like 'Really? You're going to put a sex scene in the middle of this?'. Also, one of the main character's, Alyssa, is the epitome of Murphy's Law. The author tried to hard to make her the damsel in distress and overdid it. Both of the main characters are extremely frustrating, only because they act like high school kids, playing stupid games with each other when it comes to love. Other than this, the book wasn't so bad, but by the end of the novel, i was just glad it ended, not sad that there wasn't more.