Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$6.15

on September 7, 2011
Delivery is a story that spans over the life of Olivia (Livi)and her family. Livi and her family own and work at Wilson's Florist, which serves as the main hub of activity for the book. Most of the characters work there or are customers of the store. I did not read the synopsis of the book before reading it and was, in fact, expecting it to be a love story and it is not. However, I did enjoy reading the book, regardless of this fact.
As a young girl, Livi loses her beloved brother in the war. Before he left for the war, she said things that she regretted and was not able to reconcile with him. She has a lot of guilt as well as anger about losing him. She feels like it was pointless for him to go to war in the first place and that there was no purpose served by his death. She has never been able to deal with his loss and has turned to alcohol to numb her pain. She is struggling to not become an alcholic but feels dependent on it.
Life does not get any easier for Livi, her marriage is stagnant at best. We see her husband make an effort towards trying to improve there relationship, but the marriage is more of a minor passing point in the book and not a focal point. Livi's mother is fighting the battle with Alzheimer's. As she watches her mother slowly become a different person and the strain that is causes on her father and family, she deals with anger and bitterness. Her relationships with her sisters are strained because Livi does not want to deal with any issues that the family is facing and her sister feels like she bails out when her family needs her. Friends and family keep encouraging her to give up the alcohol and turn to God with her pain, but she is doubtful that a God who has allowed such painful circumstances to occur in her life would be interested in helping her sort out the mess she has made of her life. As the story unfolds and comes to an end, we see Livi come to peace with her life and with her relationship with God.
I felt like it took me a little bit to get into the story, but once I did, I was really pulling for Livi to make it and to be at peace. The passages involving the pain of Alzheimer's were especially well written and touching. I appreciated how the author depicted the relationships of the different community members and how their friendship was instrumental in helping not only Livi, but other people in the story as well.
I have to say that I didn't feel that the end of the book brought complete closure to the story. While we see Livi come to peace with herself and her relationship with God, I still felt like there were loose ends and unanswered questions that I would have like to have seen meet resolution.
I was provided with a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review and was not obligated to post a positive opinion.
on August 4, 2011
Delivery is mainly focused on the Wilson family - past and present - and their close knit group of friends. They run a flower shop which means that they are involved in all the ups and down of their small town of Mount Helicon. Prusik hits a lot of serious and painful issues, like death, guilt, alcoholism, loneliness in marriages, and Alzheimer. The world that is created in this novel is real, but there is Hope!

I had mixed feeling, because there were a few issues I had while reading Delivery but by the end I was pulled in to the story and brought to tears. The story jumped from the present to the past during the first part of the book, and it was a little hard to follow. Maybe I just wasn't expecting it, because as the book went along I became less confused. Also, the Wilson parents' first names, Jake and Ida, were used more often than not, even when the story was being told from one of their adult daughter's point of view. So, it was harder to connect people. I'm assuming the reason why the author did that is because the point of view changes often. The Wilson family members tell most of the story. However, their friends' point of view is the focus of several chapters though out the book, which includes Marianne the dominated house wife, her daughter Sophie who works at the flower shop, and the newly widowed Eileen. After finishing the book, I see why she wanted to do that, and I enjoyed seeing the different points of view. However, it added to the confusion I experienced as I tried to get in to the book and figure out how was who. I'm glad I finished Delivery, but can't whole heartily recommend it to others.

I was provided an e-copy of this book from Tyndale in exchange for my honest opinion.
Delivery was one of the better books I've read this year, presenting the perfect balance of light-hearted humor and intensity. The characters were unique enough to prevent predictability, without hindering my attachment to them or ability to empathize with them. Initially, I was drawn to Livi, a confused and hurting young woman struggling to make sense of her world and the loss of her brother. However, by the end of the novel, I'd fallen in love with Jake, a man who embodied true, forever-love.

After the loss of her brother, Livi slips into a world of alcoholism, distrust, and bitterness. For much of the novel, she runs from God and withdraws from the love of her co-workers. Yet, no matter how hard Livi tries to free herself from their love, they remain constant and by her side. The close-knit atmosphere Diana created in the flower shop most of the story is centered in evoked a warm feeling of nostalgia within me and reminded me of the effectiveness of committed friendship.

I also enjoyed the frequent change of tones throughout the novel. Just when I thought my heart would break, Diana Prusik plunged me into a lighter scene that managed to produce a few authentic laugh-out-loud moments. Then, when I least expected it--Bam!--the intensity changed, and I found myself fighting tears once again.

This novel was one that will stay with me on many levels, reminding me to cherish the relationships I have, refusing to let them go without a fight. ~Reviewed by Jennifer Slattery of Novel Reviews and Clash of the Titles, the literary website where authors compete and readers judge.
on September 4, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed "Delivery" and highly recommend it for others who, at times, have doubts in life. This book touched my heart, made me cry and, then, made me smile because I know one day I also will be going "home" to see my loved ones.
on July 3, 2011
You won't be sorry if you buy this book. I am not much of a reader, but, this book has held my interest and made me feel I was there with them through their journey. Diana Prusik done a beautiful job writing this book. Trust me, you won't be sorry if you purchase it. I am looking forward to purchasing another book written by Diana Prusik since this one was written so beautifully. If it would be possible I would give this book a six star, since it isn't possible I most definitely give it a five star!!
on July 16, 2014
Delivery is a very engaging book. I loved all the flower details having to do with the shop and the wonderful characters in the town. It makes you feel like you could step right in and smell the roses. The story deals with deep topics. Kind of heavy, almost like a biography. I could relate to a lot of the issues from the Vietnam War. The pain of loss and grief can certainly last a long time. But I'm so happy to know Jesus can bring joy to our hearts even in the midst of suffering; I'm thankful the author touched on that in the end.
on December 8, 2011
When Olivia Wilson Jarvis agreed to help her daddy start Wilson's Florist, she knew she'd sometimes face servicing the funerals of loved ones. But why now?

Miss Ellie nodded. "After forty years, I've learned a few things about this job. Flower shop folks know what a dead man wears on his feet beneath the coffin lid, but we rarely get to file past the casket to say our final good-byes. We watch life pass through this town from the inside and outside all at once, closer than anyone and not as close as others at all." Her gaze meet Livi's. "It isn't always easy." She should know.

Delivery by Diana Prusik, is a delightful and at times serious novel about the staff that work and interact with those at Wilson's Florist in Mount Helicon. The book opens with the death of a beloved resident of the town, Robert "Bink" Carter as the florists are busy with all the floral arrangements that almost every single resident in town has ordered. While they are working and having conversations, the story flashes back to their individual pasts so the reader gets an inside look at why they are the people they are today. Why Livi pauses during hectic times to have a bottle of beer or two, why Miss Ellie is busy searching for husband number five and even why Livi and her sister Gretta remains at odds with one another.

Tales of birth and death, sickness and sorrow, love and betrayal, and even forgiveness. And yet, privy to some of the community's deepest secrets, Livi sometimes wishes she didn't know so much--and that is just what the reader will discover through the pages of this delightful story.

I received this eBook compliments of Tyndale House Publishers and Net Galley for my honest review. If you look for books with very different characters who's lives overlap one another, then this is the book for you! I would rate this one a 4 out of 5 stars simply due to the fact that all the stories can get a bit confusing. At one point, I had to grab a notebook to jot down how they were all related and that was during 1/3 of the way into the book for me.
on July 25, 2011
This book is wonderful! I loved the way she showed how Alzheimer's disease affects the entire family not just the individual who has the disease. Great ending!
on June 29, 2011
Diana Prusik has brought double entendre into the meaning of her latest ebook: Delivery. I was intrigued by the plot concept of a flowershop staff in touch with the pulse of a small town due to the sales of its wares, but this light Christian fiction accomplished far more, by revealing the deliverance several main characters needed. Pulling together both the family that runs the shop, the tragedies they and town endure, with the tenderness of Scriptures exhibited by caring friends, the author breathes hope into this small web of humanity. The story spans many years, tying together friends and kin in a positive manner akin to Jan Karon's fleet of Father Tim stories. I cannot rate this quite as high, as Prusik's characters seemed a bit flat, but the effort, ingenuity of plot, and gentle faith lessons allow me to rate it a 3 star.

Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers (digital publishing section), for the new opportunity to review this ebook, for which I have received a copy via Netgalley.
on December 31, 2012
Delivery is a well written novel that chronicles the life of a young girl as she learns tough life lessons, which finally lead her back to faith and to Christ. The setting of the florist shop in a small and family-oriented town proves the adage "it takes a village to raise a child.