4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Speaker at a Decent Price, But Read Before you Buy
Published 4 months ago by bobheald

I bought this item as I had earlier purchased the U2414H, which was effectively a HDMI screen I intend to use with my PS3, and this soundbar is meant to "fit" with this line of monitors. Now the U2414H is indeed HDMI-capable and has a standard 3.5 audio-out, to which I could plug headphones or some normal speakers and get sound, no surprises there.

Now...
Published 1 month ago by Ark

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Speaker at a Decent Price, But Read Before you Buy, May 10, 2014
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
I gave it 4 stars for two reasons: (1) I had to go buy a 6' USB extension cable to plug the short USB pigtail into my computer (my E2414H Dell monitor is nice but pretty basic - no USB ports) and that cost nearly as much as I paid for the speaker; and (2) the speaker just fits and works like it's supposed to, with acceptable sound quality, nothing spectacular. To the seller's credit, it is in new condition, as advertised, and I'm not at all disappointed I bought it. It looks like it belongs on the monitor. If you have a more sophisticated monitor with USB I/O ports and have a USB device cable laying around, it'll be a better deal for you than it turned out to be for me, but like I said, I'm not complaining.

I probably should explain, the speaker has a short USB cable attached that is designed to plug into the back of the monitor, and then a regular USB device cable is supposed to run from the ports under the monitor to the computer. The speaker doesn't (or at least mine didn't) come with that device cable, only the pigtail, and my monitor had no USB I/O ports, hence the need for the extension.

4.0 out of 5 stars AC511 Dell Soundbar, April 6, 2014
I get really good sound from this soundbar. I had a previous Dell soundbar and it worked good also. No complaints. Both attached under the Dell monitors, and were stylish looking. I've got a Dell tower, laptop, and tablet. I seem to have very good luck with Dell products, so I stick with them. Like the other reviewer I got this used off of Amazon and the extension cable to reach the pc tower was missing so I couldn't use it until I bought a longer cable. (something I wasn't expecting, and something that made me mad at first).

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, May 19, 2014
B. A. Standlee "Sphynx" (Fort Worth, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
Mom got a new Dell Monitor for her Birthday from her kids, and we needed to remove the old speakers to fit the new, MUCH wider monitor in the same desk space. The soundbar option let us do that. I was surpised that I didn't have to load any drivers to get it to work with a Windows XP (PRO) system, even though this device connects by USB, not directly to the sound card port.

Sound is great for the price, and way more than Mom will ever notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent procuct for not much money, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
The sound bar installed easily and booted into my Dell computer without a hitch. When I tried it out with music I was amazed at the smooth notes which came out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, but unreasonable limit in hardware design prevents more general usage, August 4, 2014
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)

Now one would expect I could use this soundbar as a speaker, plug in the usb cable for power and a 3.5 cable from the monitor's audio-out to the speaker's audio-in, and everything should work. Big mistake there. Apparently it is part of the hardware design that the volume control knob will only function when the soundbar is connected to a Windows computer (either directly, or through the monitor) which properly detects the usb speaker. So if that usb power cable is connected to the PS3 instead, I would have no way of adjusting the volume and it appears to play at max volume (for the speaker anyway).

In summary, I could have gotten a standard usb speaker probably with a volume control that does not depend on a separate usb connection. As an aside, the usb ports on the monitor itself will not work without a usb cable connection to some other device - so the monitor only acts as a usb-hub/passthrough that still needs to be powered by something else (on top of the power it already receives).

4.0 out of 5 stars You hardly see it, July 2, 2014
Robert H. Norris (Prescott, AZ. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
Not a lot of volume but better than my laptop speaker.
I like it because it doesn't take up any desk space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 23, 2014
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
I love my new soundbar. It was easy to install. Frees up space on my desk. Works great. I would highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad audio quality, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
I have a Dell 8700 with a SoundBlaster card. I plugged in the AC511 to the USB port at the back of the monitor (U2414H). The sound is barely OK. It is kinda muffled, perhaps OK for talk radio, but music is terrible. Is it using the SoundBlaster card? I have no idea, probably not, so how do I get it to? I don't know. I have searched Dell and other web sites, nothing. I bought a 3.mm cable, tried to connect it directly, no sound.

To be more specific about the sound quality, imagine turning the high-freqs all the way down. Specs claim 100-20,000Hz - sure sounds like 100-1,000Hz.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for compatible dell monitor, May 5, 2014
S. Lee (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
I have a limited space on my work desk and this does the trick. Sound is ok. Not great, but it was fairly cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks much better in real life, August 21, 2014
This review is from: Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar (Electronics)
Looks much better in real life! It solid, slim and yet heavy considering its size which I like very much! Nice plastic material and soft rubberiezed volume knob with bright white LED next to it and also has an audio input and output. Looks nice on my U2414H monitor. Came with USB extension cable which I wanted to purchase separately.

Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar