Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now Tikes

on July 16, 2010
I bought the Alienware M15x laptop back in March of this year off the Dell/Alienware website. I originally tried to post this review on the Alienware site but they apparently like to choose which ones are put up on their website and mine was not one they wanted other people to see of course. The laptop is really fast and great for playing online games. The problem is that after only two weeks of having this laptop it gave me a blank screen and would no longer turn on and technical support has no clue what was wrong with it. My husband looked online and found that many other people have had the same issues and we soon found out that it was the motherboard. After informing Alienware that the problem was the motherboard they did send out a tech a few days later who apparently knew nothing about Alienware laptops (came from the tech's own mouth while he was working on my laptop). A few days later my laptop was beeping at me and I called Alienware to find out what was the problem and they insisted it must be "sticky keys" though none of my keys were sticking. My husband once again went online and discovered that the hard drive will make noises when it is failing. We got the hard drive replaced and it is no longer beeping at me. Instead of just returning this laptop back to Alienware (which I probably should have done) I decided to keep it and try to extend my warranty...worst mistake ever. First person I talked to promised three years with accidental damage coverage for a certain price. Later I find out (by checking my warranty status online)that she only gave me one year for that price. Two other people I talked to quoted me a little less than the first lady for three years with accidental damage coverage but ended up making the new warranty start a year after my one year warranty (that I purchased with my laptop) ended. Now I am getting quoted twice as much for the three year warranty that I was promised. They keep trying to tell me that I must have been mistaken when three other people quoted me way less. One person even tried to say that since my laptop has already had several problems I would probably not be eligible for an extended warranty anyways. Even to this day I have not gotten and extension on my warranty. The only thing I got out of contacting them was an expensive phone bill from being transferred many times and being put on hold for a long period of time. I wish I sent this laptop back when I first started having problems with it and saved myself the frustration of talking to these people who seem to know nothing about the computers that they sell and lie to their customers. Save yourself the trouble and frustrations and don't take your chances buying from Dell/ may just end up being very disappointed like I am.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2010
I purchased the Alienware M15x laptop through Amazon in late November. My experience with this laptop and Dell's support of it was deeply disappointing.

I wanted a powerful laptop to serve as a desktop replacement and as my primary work computer, and I was drawn by the Intel i7 quad processor and powerful mobile graphics card.

As a 30-something professional, and not a major gamer, I think the "Alienware" branding is cheesy and childish, like a bad comic book, and I simply bought this computer to get the most high-end Dell. Having said that, the M15x design is surprisingly sleek and edgy -- just don't bring it to a business meeting. Overall the build is excellent and the laptop is heavy and sturdy. I used the laptop to power a Dell 3008 30" monitor at native resolution without problem-- the laptop stays cool and ran quietly, until it didn't.

After a few days my M15x began to make random hardware clicking and beeping noises from deep inside the unit. Ominously, the noises increased in frequency over time, like the laptop was slowly getting ready to explode and die altogether.

Alienware tech support was available and friendly, but totally disorganized, especially since I purchased the unit through a retail channel and there was no Dell order number. I spent about four hours on the phone (multiple calls) with them haphazardly troubleshooting my new laptop. In the end, we couldn't determine the problem, and both Alienware and Dell corporate customer support seemed indifferent about the issue and actually encouraged me to return it to Amazon .

This was a big hassle as I had already spent many hours configuring and installing software on the Alienware, and now had to uninstall it all and wipe the drive. Fortunately Amazon stands behind the purchase and is paying for return shipping and a refund.

There may be a broader problem with the Seagate Momentus hard drive in the M15x-- similar issues are widely reported with this drive in the Mac Book Pro and other Dell lines. The hard drive may or may not be the source of the problems with my Alienware, but either way the performance of the hard drive is the bottleneck in this powerful system. The Windows Experience Index is:

Processor: 7
RAM: 7.3
Graphics: 6.8
Gaming Graphics: 6.8
Hard Disk: 5.9

I do agree with other reviews that the touchpad on the M15x is serviceable but doesn't work smoothly. The touchpad on my terrific Dell XPS m1530 is vastly better-- you'll want to own a mouse for use with the Alienware.

Also, like other gaming notebooks, the screen is highly reflective, so don't buy this laptop if you want to use it outdoors.

One other minor point-- the naming on NVIDIA mobile graphics cards is misleading-- the mobile GTX 260M in this Alienware is not comparable to the desktop GTX 260 in terms of performance. But this is the best card you can get on a 15" laptop from Dell, and it ran World of Warcraft like a champ.

In the end, the Alienware is superbly constructed and a good value for the power it punches. Just be forewarned that Dell is shipping defective laptops and you might need to return it. Based on my experience, I have to give the M15x one star.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2011
I sent a version of the following to Dell by snail mail and received no response.

I purchased an Alienware M17X (service tag 2QDV4K1) on July 21 2009 with a 3 year Limited Warranty and Support 2 year extended.

I bought it as a "Gaming Laptop" where I paid a premium price ($2,517) for the gaming aspect.

I think I purchased it during the transition phase while Dell was assuming control over Alienware. There was no technical support available for at least a month during this period when I was trying to get the machine to play the installed software World of Warcraft

It has never lived up to expectations, (it wouldn't even play the installed software). I have had many long (hours) of conversations with technical support including 2 onsite repairs..

I was able to use it for Civilization 4, which had very low requirements. But the power cord kept sliding out of the back of the machine which eventually caused many, many problems and an incredible number of hours on the phone with technical support. (I assume there are records of all of the above under my service tag.)

When the game Civilization 5 came out:

The system requirements for Civilization V:
OS Windows 7
CPU Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz
Ram 2 G
Video 256 MB nVidia

My machine exceeded these specs. The Alienware machine won't play Civilization V at all in DX 10 or 11 and locks up constantly in DX9. I don't use it for anything anymore; it's a paper weight which I replace with a Sony (works great!).

I was offered a refurbished replacement. But this machine has been a problem from the very beginning, unable to play even the factory installed software. I have lost the investment in new technology so a refurbished replacement does not compensate me for 18 months of frustration (under warranty).

I also think of a refurbished computer as getting someone else's problem.

Alienware Beware!!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2015
Don't spill anything on it. I spilled coffee on the keyboard and it fried my motherboard. :(
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse