Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on July 29, 2010
Do not buy the V313w all in one printer. No matter how cheap the price, it is not a good buy. I purchased this printer in mid-January 2010, following my purchase of a wireless laptop and an upgrade to wireless internet. A wireless all in one printer for $100 seemed a good deal. Unfortunately, immediately after purchasing the printer, it consistently displayed a "no paper" error, even though paper was in the machine. Apparently there was an issue with the rollers not pulling the paper into the printer. Dell replaced that printer a week after purchase. Shortly after receipt of the new printer, there began intermittent errors indicating "there is a problem with the printhead". Initially, turning the printer off and then back on resolved the issue. However, occasionally the printhead needed to be wiped with a soft cloth. This problem continued until July 2010, when no amount of wiping or turning off/on resolved the problem. I called Dell technical support and endured several tortuous calls with call center reps in India. Finally, one rep suggested updating the firmware. Although the firmware was successfully updated, the problem was not fixed. As a result, Dell sent a replacement "refurbished" printer. I received the printer in the third week of July 2010. After setup, I printed two documents without problems. On the third document, I received the error message, "there is a problem with the printhead." Turning the printer off, then back on, resolved the error. The same error has continued intermittently over the past week. I'm debating about whether I will call Dell again or just admit defeat and buy an HP printer.

It should also be noted that the V313w goes through ink more rapidly than any printer I've ever used or owned. From January through July, I have purchased over $300 worth of ink cartridges from Dell for this printer, plus the free cartridges that came with the two replacement printers. I have an 8 year old HP inkjet printer connected to my desktop computer. Although I have used both printers relatively equally during this 6 month period, my HP has only required one cartridge change and has never given me any problems. I also have a 6 year old HP LaserJet that has never encountered a problem.

My advice is to buy an HP printer. Dell may be great with computers, but they have a way to go with printers - at least with the V313w.
1919 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2010
the cartridges are so small you may need two to complete a moderate sized job, less than 20 pages. It runs through ink faster than stuff though a goose. I am very disappointed in this printer. No ability or warning as to when it will run our either. Cartridges are very hard to find at the local stationary store. Stay away from this printer if you have anything that absolutely needs to be printed completely and clearly.
on July 19, 2010
I couldn't believe what a great price I paid for this printer only to find out that it ran out of both black and color ink literally overnight! Not such a good deal after all since it will cost me almost as much to buy replacement black and color ink cartridges as it did for this printer NEW!
on May 11, 2010
Writing this review again. Did not see it after searching. Have had a dell a190 printer(forgot exactly) for 8 years and was great on ink. It was a cheap printer, but printed well and ink was cheap. I only used about 4 cartridges over that time. I just bought a new dell v313 for $40.00 dollars. Test page came out awesome. Colors were awesome. Unfortunately I did not print anything else. My wife tried to print out word document and the black would not show up. Long story short.....Had to use the clean print head function 3 times to clean out the black. It automatically prints out a test page after every cleaning. I printed out 2 pages of black text!!! Yes TWO!!!!! pages of black and 4 test pages and it was out of ink. New ink is $70 dollars for high yield black(a full cartridge lol) and $35 for the color cartridge. I'm going to try and give it away or throw it away!!! What a waste. Ordered a brother HL-2170 laser printer. Its black and white only!!! Oh well. Not throwing money away. Only need color once in a while. I'm a student. They should give the printer away for free charging those prices.
on July 15, 2010
DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER! If you do you better have lots of money to buy the ink cartridges. I have not had it 4 months and I have already went through 4 black cartridges and 3 color cartridges. I don't even print out a lot of things. Seems like every time I go to use it....it needs a new cartridge in it. I am boxing mine up and sending it back to Dell....going to get an HP.
on November 20, 2010
I bought a new Dell computer and printer about 3 months ago. The V313w printer continually has issues. It won't print from the internet (prints only from Microsoft word), paper gets stuck in the rollers, etc. The Dell service team told me I'd have to pay to get help to fix the internet print problems (and pay for a years worth of customer service). In addition, the ink cartridges only last for about 30-50 pages of print. I'm replacing them almost monthly, and they are not cheap. (The ink for the printer I had previously (not a Dell) lasted me for 4-6months. I'm really disappointed with this purchase. I'm not usually one to write reviews of products but I'm so frustrated with the purchase I felt I needed to make others aware - spend your $$$ elsewhere.
on August 13, 2012
Don't waste your money on this junk. I originally bought this printer (and new laptop) for my college-bound daughter. But when it arrived, it was so big and bulky, we decided to get her a nice little HP printer instead, and I opted to keep the Dell. I don't print that much, but it seemed like I went through the startup cartridges really fast. I attributed that to 'they were startup cartridges and probably didn't have normal capacity'. I waited a while before I ordered new cartridges because it's such a hassle to have to order it through Dell instead of just picking up cartridges when you're out doing regular shopping locally. When I finally got new cartridges, they weren't aligning well, and I had to go through the alignment process three times. Since then, there is no way I have even printed 50 text-only pages from these cartridges and they're empty already. It's likely I actually have printed less than 30 pages. I would call Dell to complain, but I'm sure they won't listen because I've had the cartridges a while. I absolutely hate this printer and I'm looking forward to getting rid of it and buying a sleek efficient HP.
on April 30, 2012
I wish I could give it zero stars and still rate it. I got this in October 2010, convinced by a Dell salesman that it was a great deal and added as a last-minute item with the phone order of a wireless laptop. I regretted it by January 2011. The wireless feature stopped working and it wouldn't print. Even with a USB connected, it still doesn't actually print or copy about 80% of the time. I have to physically turn it off, then reboot my laptop to get it to work. It is garbage!! Now, April 2012, it won't feed the paper to print properly. It catches on one side, no matter how much trouble-shooting I do. So it is a worthless piece of expensive garbage sitting in my living room. At this rate, it will just head to the dumpster.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER! I didn't read any reviews prior to buying it; we needed a printer and it was added as a "package deal," so I agreed. I highly, highly regret it. Save your money!!
on July 18, 2010
I have the Dell v313 in pink and overall the print quality is great. The colors are vivid and the print quality is clear and sharp. The primary reason I bought this was the pink color but be warned the ink cartridges are expensive compared to the cost of the printer. I paid $65 for the printer but the cartridges run from $15.99-$44.99. I've had it for about three months and overall I like it. It's not super fast but my old HP printed about the same speed - about 10-15 pages a minute. I don't use the wireless printing option since my apartment is very small and I only have one laptop attached to it. The scanning and printing option is very easy to use and even I was able to figure it out. The scan quality is very good and the copying feature is very nice too.

Only two things about it that I think could be improved. It's very jerky. I have a cheap Ikea desk and when I print, the whole desk wobbles. Not enough to knock anything over but enough to see it moving. Granted my cheap MDF desk isn't the most sturdy but the printer doesn't have a smooth print head movement typical of ink jets. My other issue with it is the ink cartridges really don't last that long and cost a lot. I use my printer primarily for printing my online statements from my bank/credit cards which are predominately black and white. So, the black ran out much faster than the color. I printed about five color photos and maybe 30 pages of black and white before the black called it quits - using the cartridges that came with the printer. I still have ink left in the color cartridge but not sure how much longer it will last. I chatted with a Dell rep to see what the difference was between the ink cartridges - they have a single use, regular use and both single and regular in high yield. The difference between the single use and regular use is the single can only be used once while the regular can be sent back to Dell with a prepaid envelope to be recycled. The cost makes the single use the better choice economically but not ecologically. I'm using the single use standard just because they're the cheapest and enough for my needs. The ink cost is about the same as my five year old color HP ink jet but still expensive compared to the cost of the printer.

I would recommend this printer only if you really like the color options - blue and pink. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to pink (check out my other reviews) so this purchase was made solely based on the pink color. I can overlook the printer's shortcomings because of color but I think you can do better with a different brand.
on September 28, 2010
We were initially very happy with this Dell wireless printer. It wasn't that hard to set up for wireless printing and the build quality seemed fairly good. Then we discovered that this thing absolutely drinks ink. The first set of cartridges printed maybe a dozen pages. The second set made maybe 20 -- and that was in draft mode. I cannot imagine how much ink it would take to print pictures. According to the printer itself, we've printed 36 pages -- half of those in draft mode -- and it's taken nearly $80 worth of ink.