5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price.
Published 12 months ago by D. Hentze

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Monitor
The monitor feels like it is built nicely. It doesn't weigh much but I don't see that as a negative.

According to the specs the monitor looks very good on power usage, 20 to 30 watts depending on what is on the screen and brightness settings.

Published 11 months ago by Schwartz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price., November 30, 2013
This review is from: Dell Computer E-Series E2414Hr 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)
I picked up the Dell Computer E-Series E2414Hr 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor when it was on sale for $100, and for the price it has more than met my expectations. I was replacing an old 22" Samsung LCD that served me well, but has lost its brightness. Out of the box, the first thing I noticed is that the monitor includes a VGA cable, but no DVI cable. Seriously? In this time and age, who is buying a 24" 1080p HD monitor and hooking it up with a VGA cable? It would have irked me less if it hadn't included any cable. I used my old DVI cable so it wasn't really an issue, but it just bothered me.

It took me less than 5 minutes to assemble and hook the monitor up to my computer. There was no need to install the included drivers, as Windows 8.1 recognized the monitor, model, and correct settings. My monitor did not have any defects such as light bleeding or dead pixels. The default out of the box settings looked pretty good. The "standard mode" looked better than the other preset modes by far. All I did was turn the brightness and contrast up to "80" from "75", and the picture quality looked even better. Images and text are clear. Colors appear accurate. It definitely looks better than my old monitor, but that isn't saying much. I played a couple games to see if response time was an issue, and it wasn't at all. All in all, I'm very happy for what I got for the price. I'm sure you can buy a better monitor, but for $100-$120, I doubt you'll find better in this price range. I give 5+ stars for the price, and 4 stars for performance.

Pros:
Price.
24" LED Backlit 1080p screen.
Fast 5ms response time
ENERGY STAR® Qualified
Well designed and built.
Overall good image and text quality.
Accurate color.

Cons:
Not designed for high end graphics display.
Viewing angles are "fair".
Pre-set modes other than "standard" are poor.
No DVI Cable included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, December 4, 2013
Ordered this knowing not to expect the best quality but got way better quality than I expected. The default settings aren't very good and changing the settings is a little finicky. Such as changing the hue one point at a time will cause all sorts of different warmness settings at every single different number. But once you find a setup that you like, it looks great. I only wish it had individual red green blue level adjustment which it does not.

The body itself and the button controls all feel like they're made from very cheap plastic, but you don't handle it very much so that doesn't really matter. The base though is made out of solid metal.

I didn't notice any problems with viewing the monitor at different angles and at full 1080p the thing is super crisp. It seems to support a really wide range of resolutions so there's no problem there.

The only problem I've had is that the VGA cable that comes with it is also cheap and provides very faint ghosting and the monitor DOES NOT come with a DVI cable which the manual seems to suggest. So now I'm waiting on one in the mail.

If I'd paid the normal asking price of $229 I might give it a couple stars lower, but hell, you can't beat brand name with this sort of deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dell Delivers, December 9, 2013
Have had nothing but good experiences with Dell monitors.
Pro:
- No dead pixels
- Very securely-packaged
- Vibrant color and sharp detail out of the box
- Stand is adjustable and easy to assemble (snaps into place, no tools required)
- Excellent value

Con:
- DVI cable not included
- Plastic on stand and frame feels a little cheap compared to other monitors I have owned

Overall I did not feel that these two minor issues were enough for me to take off a star. Very satisfied with the value and picture quality of this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Monitor at an Excellent Price, December 7, 2013
I bought this monitor during the Cyber Monday sale for 99$. It arrived on that Wednesday and I set it up with only one issue. I hooked the monitor into my computer with a DVI cable. The picture showed up but every time I would move me mouse the bottom half of my screen would glitch and shutter black. I looked online to find a solution and I was told to uninstall my driver. I did so and after a reboot the monitor was fine.

So besides my troubles setting up this monitor, I could not be happier with it. Compared to my 32' TV that I use to use as a monitor, it looks much, much sharper. The picture quality and the color on the monitor are both excellent and the stand that the monitor comes with is adjustable and works fine.

Also, Amazon doesn't quite clarify in the pictures or product description but this monitor DOES NOT have HDMI. Besides those two complaints, I highly recommend buying this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply awesome!, August 2, 2014
First, I didn't buy this monitor from Amazon. Second, I don't really favor Dell. (My own bad personal exp. with them dating back to the "Pentium 4" days left me disgruntled for years.)

Was in the market for a monitor after my LG flat screen 1920x1080 of a slightly lesser size had a cracked screen (my fault). -sad because it was actually a good monitor-

I wanted to get another LG to replace the one I broke and couldn't find one that I wanted at my price point at the time. So I took a break in shopping for a new monitor.

I was at Walmart about a month later and saw this Dell E2414Hr 24-Inch monitor next to a $99 Acer monitor and looked at both long and hard.

For $99, the Acer had a resolution of only 1600x900. Because I play games, this just wasn't logical for me.
I had to have a 1920x1080 so the $183 for the E2414Hr was a no-brainer.

I have to say hands down, that this monitor is probably the best one I have ever owned. It's even better and slightly larger than the bevel-less, sexy looking Viewsonic monitor my friend bought recently for his PC for over 220 bucks.

My biggest pros:
The monitor, despite how big it is, fits my claustrophobic configuration VERY well. The images are incredibly crisp and vibrant. My Nvidia control panel and Windows resolution dialog both report 60hz refresh rates (not the annoying 59hz that some lesser monitors report in Windows but claim to be 60hz.)

The other great details are basically the menu and settings on the monitor itself. They are pretty varied, even compared to other more expensive monitors I have seen. The preset image modes are great: 8 modes in total ranging from standard, to text, to multimedia, to games, with the eighth mode being "Custom"- You can change the custom preset just like any other fair monitor. Controls are very sturdy, easy to locate and press.

The screen size is awesome. I typically sit about 3-4 feet away from the monitor face and it feels like a huge wall of visuals, even at 6 feet away when watching movies. I have my Dell E2414Hr hooked up to a 3GB GTX 660Ti and gaming is effing awesome on it. My last monitor had beautiful Image Quality and set a high bar for me in games and blu-rays. But the blu-rays and games are just so deeply intense and immersive on this display that it puts my previous monitor to shame. I know there are way better monitors out there to buy, but this was a spectacular buy for me and its perfect. I'm not afraid of the Dell name as much anymore, but don't ask me to get any other type of device from them just yet. LOL

Simply put: Dell impressed me with this display so much, that it caused me to search for it online and look at the reviews it got to see what others were saying about it!

I only have two SMALL complaints about this monitor. 1. It doesn't have HDMI ports. (its only a small complaint and not a problem for me because I prefer DVI over HDMI any day of the year) DVI has thumb screws that lock it into place and just feels sturdier than HDMI.
2. The connector ports for the DVI and VGA sit a little to close to the backing of the monitor. I have rather large hands so disconnecting and reconnecting the DVI and VGA cables can be a pain, but it's not enough to take a star away for.

A side note:
I ordered a Tripp Lite DVI cable just today because the DVI cable I had finally shat the bed (i had it for a couple of years). The signal cuts in and out when I move it around even a slight bit. This is the cable I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P560-010-Dual-Cable/dp/B0001PFQAI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The E2414Hr does NOT come with a DVI cable by default. It just comes with the power cord, driver CD and a VGA cable) So I didn't have a backup DVi cable to fall back on.

I normally recommend buying aftermarket cables for TVs and monitors anyway, even if they come with their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great purchase this was for us., December 3, 2013
It was set up and working within 10 minutes of the FedEx guy delivering, My wife was telecommuting today and I had the whole thing up and running while she was in the kitchen getting a coffee. She is an actuary and is sensitive to the picture quality. The whole screen was pure and devoid of any flaws whatsoever.
She is happy, therefore I am thrilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get One...You'll love it. Terrific monitor, December 2, 2013
A great monitor for the money. Absolutely perfect high res image, and LED lighting is really terrific. My first experience with that. It makes it very light weight and even contrast and brightness across the entire screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for the price., April 2, 2014
P. Mulloy (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this in December from Amazon for about %63 of the current price and for what I paid for it I would give it 9 stars. It is on a pole next to a monitor that costs quite a bit more and it is hard to tell the difference in quality. The more expensive monitor has more USB ports but this monitor does a good job for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Monitor, December 27, 2013
Schwartz (Port Allegany, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The stand is easy to assemble and attach. You don't get height or pivot adjustments (just tilt) but I didn't expect to get height adjustment and pivot adjustment in a cheap monitor.

There are power, DVI-D and VGA connectors to use. Dell must be sitting on a pile of VGA cables that they want to get rid of because that is all they threw in the box for connecting to a PC. I can't even remember the last video card that I got that had a VGA port. You'd think they'd leave the VGA cable out and have that as an option in a different package. So no major problems so far, I already had a DVI cable.

Where things fall apart for me is actually looking at this thing. I expected poor viewing angles from a cheap TN panel but what kills it for me is that I see dithering out the wazoo. I don't recall any other TN panels that I have had in the past looking this bad. Borders between objects are all dotted up, text looks bad, and everything is just generally rough looking.

I gave the monitor to my kid as a Christmas present because he had a 19" 4:3 monitor and he doesn't know enough yet to see these things. It appears to be fine for him to play games on. Once he gets older and we get him a real monitor he will appreciate it more because I am sure he will see the difference immediately.

Overall not worth more than the $99 I paid for it and you'd do well to avoid this if you care about image quality in any way.

Edit: I was messing around with the monitor setting some more and found that the "Image Enhance" setting was on, by default I am guessing, I don't remember turning it on. I turned it off and things look a bit better. I am bumping my rating from 2 to 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got what I bought!, December 2, 2013
I did want a HDMI port which this monitor did not have. I'll get a HDMI to DVI adapter if I need it. Right out of the box I did not need any tools to attach the stand to the monitor which only tilts forward and aft where it attaches to the back of the monitor. I connected my old XP PC to the DVI port and a game system to the VGA port. I turned on my XP PC and had no problems, I did not use the supplied disk. At first the display wasn't any better than my old 17" LCD? Checked my display settings which were still for the old monitor, duh! Changed settings for the new monitor to the full 1920 x 1080 and the refresh at 60Hz (which is the only setting). The controls on the monitor are a snap to use so I set the brightness at 50 and the contrast at 75 what a difference a few adjustments can make! I was having a blast with a few games from my game system and didn't have a glitch, no shadowing, skipping, lagging, and now I can see things I haven't seen before! I have been reading tons of info and checking out all the cool deals for cyber Monday and again no glitches, dead pixels, blurry screen, flickers, sagging corners, eye strain, and most importantly no smoke! I have to manually select between the DVI and VGA port with the side controls, again easy. I have only had it up and running since Friday and very happy I purchased this monitor with no regrets. In my opinion, in the short time I have had this, it is a pretty awesome monitor.