Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: 18.5 Inches|Change

on November 22, 2013
I really Like Dell Monitors, they are great in value and performance. I bought this monitor to use it as a secondary monitor for my iMac 27", but you can easily differentiate the quality and type of displays. Before you buy this monitor please consider that this is not an IPS Monitor so the viewing angles are not the best for today's demanding applications.
on December 28, 2014
I bought this 20" Dell E2014H to replace an old 17" Dell monitor that stopped working. Initially, I was considering the smaller 19" E1914H until I learned that model is only 1366x768 resolution, which was inadequate for my needs and, on a screen that size, is only 85 pixels per inch (PPI). This means the individual pixels that make up the image are larger, which translates into a coarse, pixelated image, kind of like looking through a screen door (a fact pointed out by several reviewers who bought that model). The 20" E2014H model I bought sports a 1600x900 resolution and 92 PPI, which is much better. However, beware that as you increase the PPI, this also makes on-screen text and icons smaller, which may pose readability issues for some people. I personally consider 90 PPI to be the lowest usable pixel density for a desktop monitor before image quality begins to suffer.

The E2014H is by no means a top-of-the-line monitor but for the price, it offers reasonably good performance for everyday use and was pretty much what I expected of a monitor in this price range. Photo buffs and graphics designers will probably be disappointed to know that the E2014H is not an IPS monitor but rather utilizes the more-common TN panel technology. That said, I found the image quality to be quite good (much better and brighter than my old monitor); photos looked sharp and vivid and, thanks to the better contrast ratio, black text appeared richer and kind of "popped," a quality that made for a better reading experience. However, like most TN monitors, viewing angles are somewhat limited (especially in the vertical direction) and can make for unwanted color shifts when viewing the screen from extreme angles. Fortunately, the E2014H includes an adjustable stand which lets you tilt (but not raise or lower) the screen to an angle that works for you.

Like most all monitors made in the last 5 years or so, the E2014H features LED backlight technology, which is superior to the CCFL backlight technology used in older monitors; LEDs are brighter, last longer, and use less power (14 watts for this 20-incher versus ~35 watts for my old 17" CCFL-backlit monitor). The E2014H sports a dual DVI/VGA input (but no HDMI) which should suit the majority of PC users. I had to use the VGA input, as my PC lacked DVI. As with most modern monitors, the E2014H utilizes a 16:9 widescreen format. Those switching from an older, squarish 4:3 or 5:4 screen may find that the wider 16:9 format takes a little getting used to but I didn't find the switch too difficult and I quickly adjusted to the new screen format.

The E2014H is housed in an all-black plastic case that feels reasonably solid although the stand feels somewhat flimsy and wobbly. A lighted power button is located at the lower-right corner of the monitor. When in low-power mode, the light slowly fades in and out almost like the monitor is "breathing," which is a cool effect. Above the power button you will find four tiny, unmarked control buttons; there are no symbols or icons to indicate their intended function which can make using them confusing.

Setup was fairly straightforward; simply assemble the stand, plug in the cables, and off you go. It took me all of 10 minutes to unbox the monitor and get everything put together. The only snag I ran into was getting my old PC to properly support the 16:9 screen resolution, an issue that was fixed easily enough with a video-driver update. I should also mention that the drivers supplied on the CD-ROM included with the monitor refused to install on my Windows XP SP2 system, although this is a minor issue as the monitor works just fine without the additional drivers. Included in the box you will find the monitor unit, a stand assembly, a 3-prong AC power cord, video cables for both the DVI and VGA inputs, a driver CD, and a basic setup guide.

Overall, the E2014H is a capable monitor and a good value for the money. It would make a good choice for those looking to upgrade or replace an old monitor on a tight budget. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
on January 1, 2014
I love this screen!! The size is perfect for me. I do alot of typing and read alot on line and this is perfect.
I like the clarity!!!

I would refer everybody to this , for value, and ease in shopping, it is great!!!
on August 8, 2014
I ordered the 18.5" model. It's quite a bit smaller than I expected, but still serviceable and adequate for my needs (basic web-surfing and streaming the occasional video.)

If you order one of these, just remember that it's a widescreen and that if your current monitor isn't a widescreen and you order this monitor in the same number of inches, it will be considerably smaller from top to bottom than your non-widescreen is. This means that when you watch most videos in full-screen, about a quarter of your screen space will be wasted as blank bands on both sides of the picture. The full-screen video picture in this monitor is only about 9x12 inches--considerably smaller than in my last monitor, which was a non-widescreen of about the same diagonal length. To be completely fair, full screen videos in this monitor are no smaller than the pictures of some of the smaller TVs I've seen and they're still definitely large enough to be comfortably watchable from across the room, but just be aware of what you're going to be getting. These relatively minor flaws are not deal-breakers for me, but they may be for others.

In a nutshell, I'm sure that if you spent more, you could get a better monitor, but at this price point, this monitor is probably the best you can get.

ETA: I recently had the same problem with this monitor as reviewer Judith Dohm: it started to develop black spots that slowly got bigger and bigger over time. Unlike Judith, however, my experience with Dell customer service has been stellar. Just a few days after notifying Dell of the problem, I received a brand new monitor at no charge, along with a prepaid shipping label so I could send the defective one back. I have always said that the true test of a company is not whether or not they ever produce a defective product, but how they treat their customers when they do. Dell passed that test with flying colors, and I will not be docking any stars because of this.
on June 1, 2014
This item arrived on time as promised. I unpacked the monitor, connected it to the computer, turned it on and it began to work correctly without any problems. I will buy another one if I need in the future.
on February 5, 2014
Had some issues with PC sending a document to the wide screen and having it stretch it out to fill the width. Once you grab the corner of the document and put it back into shape, it is very clear and easy to use. Some would find it like playing an old video tape on a new widescreen TV and having a lot of blank space left and right. This all could be attributed to "operator error", so let's focus on the fact that this is an inexpensive unit and the picture is very clear. I'd recommend it.
on March 27, 2014
Was exactly what I was looking for to hook up to my 12' laptop to make working from home easier.
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2016
So I haven't even had this monitor a year and when I turn it on it automatically goes into power saving mode. It worked great at first and I was on it one day in the middle of an online assignment when the monitor just suddenly went into power saving mode. Now every time I turn on the computer and monitor the computer turns on fine the monitor just goes into that mode. Haven't even had it a year and I know the original sell monitor that came with my computer that my parents have is still working just fine, which leads me to believe that whoever is selling these monitors are selling duds. Don't waste your money. Don't waste your time. $103 wasted and now I have to drive all the way to my parents to get these assignments done for school. Amazon needs to watch their sellers.
on January 29, 2014
I bought this monitor because of its low price and thought I had gotten a good deal at the time. I should have payed more attention to the reviews. It was hard to look at for any length of time and it could not be seen from a angle. Disappointing at best although I now have a monitor to go with my old computer when I sell it.
on January 26, 2016
This is a really nice monitor! I purchased this monitor for my shelf and I use it when I am working on various computers in my family! It is a very nice screen and I know now a days 19" is considered small for a monitor, this unit serves it purpose perfectly and I am glad I purchased it! I use the included VGA cable and the picture is perfect! No issues! If you are looking for a very nice 19" inexpensive computer monitor, you can't go wrong with this!