4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good
Published on December 11, 2009 by Dot

2.0 out of 5 stars Memory is not upgradable.
Published on January 7, 2010 by Vasper

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, December 11, 2009
Dot (FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell Inspiron Mini 1011 10.1-Inch Obsidian Black Netbook - Up to 8 Hours 8 Minutes of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
I have had my Dell mini 10v for 3 weeks now. I have downloaded the necessary programs off the internet, open office and Firefox, and loaded my music and pictures using my external hard drive, so I have not needed an external DVD drive. I am very happy with the keyboard (it is much nicer than the Acer I tried). It is an adequate size and I quickly became accustomed to using it. All of the buttons are in the right places and I am able to type almost as well as I can on my 15 inch laptop. The touch-pad is different than most of the netbooks out there but that is part of what attracted me to the Dell. I read many reviews that questioned the touch-pad but when I tried all the different brands(Acer, HP, Asus) in person I found that it was one of the biggest and that I didn't mind the integrated buttons and liked it better than the hp option of putting the buttons on the sides. Sometimes it does think I am trying to scroll when I click but I very rarely want to scroll so I will likely turn the scroll function off. So far the battery life of the 6 cell battery has been adequate. When running on battery with the screen turned all the way down I am getting about 6.5 hours which is less than advertised but is more than enough for me. I also like the power adapter. It is one piece and is able to plug into a surge protector and only takes up one spot which is nice. The only real negative right now is that it gets hot, hotter than my laptop and that upgrading the ram is not a task that I will be able to do on my own because I do not feel comfortable taking apart the entire computer and there is no access panel. Windows 7 starter is working well so far and I am planning on upgrading eventually. Overall I would purchase this netbook again but I do recommend that you go to a few stores and try all of the brands to determine if the keyboard and touch-pad are right for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, December 26, 2009
I. Gorlach (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
I've been eyeing netbooks ever since my fiance got one. After working on it for a little while, I learned that certain features are more important for me than others. First, I needed a large keyboard, and second, I needed a long battery life.
In addition, I had a chance to mess around on my friends' Apple laptops, which are superior to Windows when it comes to operating systems. But since Apple doesn't make netbooks, I gave Windows 7 a shot and was blown away by a product that felt like it was made right after a decade of messy messy upgrades to Windows 95. Windows 7 became the third important consideration.

This laptop has it all for me. Love the keyboard (great for a touch-typist like me); the battery is long and sticks DOWN (can't believe it took years for laptop firms to figure out a way to fit a larger battery in while helping cool down the processor); and Windows 7 works like a charm.

I considered upgrading from the starter version, but after some research, I realized that there really is no reason for me. Upgrading provides features I would never use. Plus, the Starter version works faster and seems to really be designed for netbooks. It's an eye-candy; the battery delivers (feels good to see "75% left (5hr 45m)" or around there); and I did not need to relearn typing.

The drawbacks compared to other netbooks: the larger battery also makes it a bit heavier; some software is incompatible with Windows 7; and the ac adapter is larger on the end rather than having a hub in the middle of the wire (this might get in the way when plugging it in in class); finally, I've dealt with Dell on the phone before, and it can be hit or miss. The communication is not easy, since all of the customer service is abroad.

Still, I love this laptop, which is reflected in the 5 stars I give it.

update: I've had the netbook for about 3 full months now. An issue that I noticed, which might be present in other netbooks as well, is that some graphics applications and newer games do not launch properly or just quit mid-progress. I looked all over the internet trying to find a solution and finally figured it out after installing an Adobe product that complained about the screen resolution. Turns out that the physical size of the screen limits the resolution to 1024x600, which is not enough for these programs. I went on Craigslist, got a 15" flat screen monitor for $20 and plugged it in -- voila. Everything that requires graphic power works great. Hope this is helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Memory is not upgradable., January 7, 2010
I bought this laptop when the description indicated 2 GB upgradable. I called Dell and it turns out that you would have to send the netbook to Dell to upgrade the memory at the cost of more then what you paid for the netbook. Amazon has started indicating this on some netbooks, but as of this writing is does not specifically state that the memory is not user upgradable. And yes, you will need 2 gig of mem with Win 7.

Otherwise, the netbook was outstanding. One last comment, Dell indicated that the memory could not be user upgradable when shipped with Win XP as per Microsoft's policy. Apparently in order for an OEM to continue using pre-loaded XP, they cannot offer more then 1 gig of mem!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love it :), December 30, 2009
I got this Christmas Eve and have used it almost every waking moment, hahaha. My family live in Australia and Spain so i am up at 4am (Mountain Time) using MSN Messenger so we can chat via webcam. That's the only reason i didnt give it 5 stars is because unless you are flooded by surrounding light it is very hard to see you (or others to see you)because it looks so dark, but if your at an internet cafe or out and about using the webcam you should be seen well with lots of natural light.

I put on office 2007 because i had it laying around at home and like it, i also added my various craft software and copied all my 2009 photos to it via our 17" laptop's CD drive. I downloaded Firefox and the free AVG Ati-Virus software also. If you want a nice computer to go surfing the web on and doing basic office tasks on then this is a great buy. I love it. I got the black one and finger prints if your a picky person will drive you crazy with this color, so i bought a Netbook mini skin decal sticker to cover it the deigns they have are awesome, and also bought the Sumo Netbook sleeve for it so i can carry it around in my bag with out it getting all dinged up. So far i have used it unplugged for 9 hours and even then i still had time left after i plugged it back in. As i said if you want something extremely light weight and portable that you can surf the web on and do basic office stuff on then this is an awesome buy.
Sumo ME-SUMO77101 10-Inch Graffiti Netbook Sleeve (Black)My Heart Design Protective Skin Decal Sticker for DELL Mini 10 Laptop Netbook Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite New Toy! A Must Have & Whats With the Bad Reviews?, December 2, 2009
Length:: 2:22 Mins

My Favorite New Toy! A Must Have & Whats With the Bad Reviews?

I just purchased my Dell Mini 10 (Blue Cover) and I have to say that this was one of the best investments I ever made. If you think you are getting a high end laptop for the price of three-hundred bucks, then you are sorely mistaken. This is basically a smart phone PDA increased to the size of a ten inch screen with a keyboard attached. Most of the bells & whistles are intact.

At first it took me some time to get use to the screen. Websites are slightly altered due to the 10 inch screen, so and with the tool bar on top that includes (File, Refresh, etc) it can seem like there's hardly any room to view webpage's, but you'll get use to it. Viewing any site that you would on a regular desktop will have certain parts of the page moved around when viewing it on your netbook & this is to be expected because of the size.

I know everyone is complaining about the keypad, but it's really not that bad. It does take a few tries before you realized what works best for you. I've learned from having a Dell Studio Laptop that the best thing to do is just utilize the free space as a mouse and click. Don't bother trying to hit down on the key, but just double tap on the keypad to pick a selection. If you don't, you will find the experience of navigating through websites, typing a document on word, etc to be a horrendous experience.

Otherwise, if you are looking for a great small compact netbook to stay connected to the web, check email, browse a few sites - then this is the netbook for you. There isn't much customization due to the small size of the netbook that feels very light just a little under three pounds and practically smaller and skinnier then the new Twilight book. I would have it ordered it on amazon, but it was cheaper through Dell.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase because it's a great investment for anyone who needs internet access on the go. The only complaint I have is the price. I know its three-hundred, but I own a regular laptop with a 15 inch screen & that HP was only three-hundred. Sure, it was not a high end groundbreaking laptop, but it does the trick & power wise, it's stronger than the mini. I really feel the price point should drop by hundred bucks. Otherwise, this is still a great PC tool to have.

Pros:
Light weight (Less then three pounds)
Customizable Cover with different colors
Windows XP (Thank GOD - Vista is so WHACK)
Keyboard is 90% size of a real keyboard
Wi-Fi
3 USB slots
160GB Memory
1.66 GHZ
1GB RAM

Cons:
A bit pricey IMO - It really should be two hundred & under
No DVD Slot

5.0 out of 5 stars Dell Mini-10 better than the Samsung NC-10, December 30, 2009
Andrew Hyer (Mountain View, California United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the Samsung NC-10 and was happy with it until the LCD crystal ($270 replacement) broke and when I tried to get it fixed under warranty they said it was void due to user abuse. Unhappy.
Bought the Dell mini-10 because it was basically the same thing only built more sturdy. Transferred my 2GB memory from Samsung to the Dell and have been very happy with it. Dell customer service is very good better than Samsung which is none.
If you want a reliable Netbook buy the Dell it's a very good device that you can depend on. The 6-cell battery is like the energizer bunny. Windows 7 starter is pretty cool to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Netbook, December 3, 2009
I have an XP version. Mine blew it's hard drive on day one. Since it was under warranty the drive was replaced by a refurbished not new drive. It still has problems and has been repaired 3 times. Dell's customer non service is reason enough to buy an Acer or HP netbook. The Mini could be a winner but Dell isn't what it used to be 10 years ago. I also have numerous problems with the webcam program as well. Pass on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice netbook. A few weird design quirks., January 10, 2010
I bought this netbook as a replacement for an Asus Eee 1000HD.

This particular configuration comes with the extended battery, a high-gloss screen, and Windows 7 Starter.

Windows 7 Starter is a limited version of Windows 7 designed for Netbooks. There are a couple of immediately noticeable limitations to W7 Starter. The first is the inability to change the desktop wallpaper. This doesn't bother me. The second pertains to Starter's licensing. The license for Starter limits the amount of system memory to 1GB. It's purely speculation on my part, but I think that might be the driving force in Dell's decision to make the single RAM slot as inaccessible as possible. You have to remove the keyboard, trackpad, and motherboard to replace the RAM in this unit. I haven't felt the need to upgrade RAM yet, but the difficulty of the exercise cost this unit a star.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 in a dual-boot configuration a couple weeks after I purchased this machine. The install was pretty painless. The Broadcom wireless required a restricted driver install; easy enough. In Windows, the trackpad supports two-finger scrolling. This is apparently accomplished with some kind of multitouch emulation that doesn't exist in the Linux driver, so it's likely a Linux user will be stuck with a swipe to scroll region on the trackpad. Clicking the 'button' on the trackpad and trying to drag is an exercise in frustration in Linux. This would be enough to cost this unit another star, but I'm certain I can correct it in the trackpad driver's configuration.

Battery life is very good in Windows and Linux. I believe it's slightly better in Windows, but I haven't run any tests to confirm. Either operating system gives me a full day of moderate use.

The extended battery adds a full row of cells sticking out of the back-rear of the unit. It changes the form factor enough to be noticeable. It's purely subjective, but the battery looks a little silly. That said, it does provide more airflow across the bottom of the machine when sitting on a flat surface.

Suspend/Hibernate both work well in Windows and Linux. Ubuntu's network management gets a little confused if you've moved to another of your saved AP's while in suspend/hibernate, but it will eventually associate.

Webcam works in either operating system. The quality isn't great, but it works if you need it.

The keyboard has large (for a netbook), flat keys that have a nice crisp feel. It has a full shift key on the right side; something I'd missed on the Eee this machine replaced. The full shift key comes at the expense of the arrow keys, which are quite small.

I enjoy this machine, and would purchase it again despite the couple small issues I've noted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it but FALSE ADVERTISEMENT ON BATTERY, December 28, 2009
The Dell mini 10, which I got on December 25th is very good for just about everything. It has an integrated web-cam which i use for talking with friends and relatives on skype. It's Performance is Great even though it only has a 1gb SDRAM.
I overall love it every feature,every aspect of it. I was actually very hesitant before getting this it does all of the same things a regular laptop does. The Only Reason I did Not Give This a five star review is because It is advertised With a 8hour and 8minute battery life (it comes with a 3cell battery) Its a lie. With wireless (I assume everyone uses wireless) It lasts 2-3 hours. Without wireless 6 hours or less. not eight hours. I am very dissappointed. Even if you do the 12 hour charge before using without the Charger,it does not last the advertised time. Even the 6 hours isn't true its more like 2-3 hours. I hope this helped but overall i love it the battery hasn't given me much problems yet, just disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose.., February 10, 2010
This little netbook does exactly what I needed it to. I already have a desktop that serves as my primary computer, I just needed something to do some writing on, and maybe some light late night internet surfing, and it does that just fine. However, the battery life goes quickly depending on what you're doing. If you plan on using the webcam and running on the battery, it's more likely to last about four hours rather than eight; If you're going to be watching videos on youtube or what have you, then you're down to about six. Nonetheless, the netbook serves its purposes and has given me no trouble at all. I strongly recommend it if you're going to be using it lightly like me. Maybe not if you plan to make it your primary computer, though.

Rate and Discover Movies